It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The END of Online Piracy

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Taketh the domain name all you want. For there shall be still a IP address one could type in instead. Domain names are about as important as spelling words out with your telephone pad.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I don't think this is really going to make any difference to the amount of copyrighted material being shared on the internet over all, it may make a small dent for a time but then a new model for file sharing will come about and it will start all over again.

Sharing on p2p apps like napster emule etc was popular for years until they were replaced by bit torrent and before that people shared things on bbs systems and the like.

The next progression I can see coming in this is totaly decentralize totally anonymous file sharing, this does exist all ready but is still at the stage of being a bit to complex and slow for the average user.

The law / governments are always a few hundred steps behind whats actually going on in this area, usually any copyright protection that companies try to push onto the public is circumnavigated within two days by a twelve year old school boy from Sweden or the like

You are correct, there are already stuff in the works that will make torrent like the P2P apps become almost obsolete. One is file sharing through your browser like Opera Unite, where you set up a link on their servers and people are able to download files from your computer. Other browsers will be getting into this very soon so that they can have the capability or be even better than the other guy. What I see even being better for that type of sharing will be that you won't have a middle man, and people via a utility program or plug-in on your browser will be able to download directly from you via looking for your IP address or handle (like the p2p but no middle). You will be able to allow or disallow people to download files you want them to see.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

en.wikipedia.org...

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) is the entity that oversees global IP address allocation, autonomous system number allocation, root zone management in the Domain Name System (DNS), media types, and other Internet Protocol-related symbols and numbers. IANA is operated by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, also known as ICANN.

Prior to the establishment of ICANN for this purpose, IANA was administered primarily by Jon Postel at the Information Sciences Institute of the University of Southern California, under a contract USC/ISI had with the United States Department of Defense, until ICANN was created to assume the responsibility under a United States Department of Commerce contract.

You still can't get away from them.

In June 1999, at its Oslo meeting, IETF signed an agreement with ICANN concerning the tasks that IANA would perform for the IETF; this is published as RFC 2860

So who is the IETF?

en.wikipedia.org...

The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) develops and promotes Internet standards, cooperating closely with the W3C and ISO/IEC standards bodies and dealing in particular with standards of the TCP/IP and Internet protocol suite. It is an open standards organization, with no formal membership or membership requirements. All participants and managers are volunteers, though their work is usually funded by their employers or sponsors; for instance, the current chairperson is funded by VeriSign and the U.S. government's National Security Agency.[1]

They are every where when it comes to the net. VeriSign and the U.S. government's National Security Agency

edit on 21-9-2010 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The US gov should have no authority over things on the Internet. I do not like them and will not back this. IF I buy something like a DVD in the shop, I will lend it and share it with whoever i like. I will not follow the rules dictated by a few idiots. We can not let the US feds have the authority. The US is becoming the largest killer of freedom. They are no better than the common terrorist. I am not bound by US law and will never respect it. I am not a citizen of the United States of Israel and therefor will never comply with their laws. I do not step foot on American soil. I am really peed off that the US is such a fascist dictatorship. Land of the Free? NO, Land of the gullible.

I think we need to hit these stupid record labels and movie companies where it hurts and not buy their crap. I have not bought a Music CD in 13 years and will never do so. I have zero like for celebrities and their putrid lives being taking up column inches to dupe the public into a false sense of security and dumb us down.

We must now make our own freedom.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Many artists use torrent sites to promote their work. Its a great way to get your name out. Think about it this way, if I write a book, comic, or make a film, I can go to cons and sell them, even sell them on my site, and people will buy it. But your only getting your stuff out to a small fraction of people. If you want to find fans, you have to make your stuff available to a huge group of people. What better way to do that than upload it to a popular torrent site for free. Besides, if they like it and see it in the store, they might buy it just to have a physical copy.

I know for a fact that Showtime, and other networks, openly uploaded the first few episodes of an upcoming season before the season even aired just so people who had never seen the show before would download them and get hooked. And they did this in popular torrent sites under disguised names.

So yeah, keep downloading.

edit on 21-9-2010 by Aninonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Lol at anyone who thinks piracy is finishd.

Noobs.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God

Originally posted by bronco73
Every one of the albums I've downloaded (around 3000) I have owned at one time or another in one format or another. They have already gotten my money and should not be entitled to take it again. They are using a lame assed piracy excuse in order to force me to pay for something that I have already paid for and should legally already have the right to possess, regardless of which format it comes in.

You're right... I probably bought and paid for over 30 cars in my lifetime and I'm done. From now on if I need a car I'm going to steal yours. Why should I pay for one??? I already have many times over. And clothing, food, houses, T.V.s, computers, hell I'm just going to go take whatever I want because I've already paid for them in the past...

Great logic.

Guffaw, this one can't tell the difference between digital and physical.

What a hoot - and it's people like this one who support the illegal laws being forced upon you all.

You try and steal anything physical, and you just might end up on the wrong end of a weapon....

lmao.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984
s our lame-duck government tries to pass

Ugh, if you are going to use a term like "lame-duck government" use it right. The US is not currently in any type of lame duck session. The senate might be lame duck after the November elections but its not likely. Please go look up what that term means before using it in a topic like this.

As far as this law goes, it will be easy to get around unless countries start taking a China approach and blocking/censoring content. I can easily set up something in Harare and I am willing to bet the US wont be able to shut it down. Good luck though

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The pandora box was opened with the internet and digital property. It can never be closed again unless we live in a true police state.

Problem is the same as in politics, we have people who want to take us/keep us "back" to the good ol days when someone with a idea of how to use people could get filthy rich. Those days are fast coming to a end. Think of who's being hurt by piracy, not so much real artists, but rather the companies. The owners, publishers, manufacturers, in other words people who had NOTHING to do with the creation of this intellectual property. The people who happen to have the money needed to distribute cd's/dvd's, these are the people losing.

An artist with half a brain should see that the days of throwing any garbage on a disc and expecting it to sell 3 trillion copies is over. Artists have to return to the days of actually working. They have to return to doing shows to make a living. See us artists were spoiled for a while, like 85-96....artists could afford to throw a cd together in a few months and sit on their arse for the next two years eating from that garbage they dropped. Those days are gone, it's back to work. Same goes for movie producers.

Is it possible for a program to be made that is attached to every piece of digital produce? What I mean is do away with physical copies completely and every digital piece produced attach some type of virus that multiplies everytime it's duplicated, bounces off a satellite and a bill is mailed to the address everyone has to have?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
How does the United States have any say in Swedish affairs? TPB is a Swedish-run site, hosted on Swedish soil. You know, a sovereign nation. I fail to see how this bill can have any legal effect on TPB. What I do see potentially happening, as far as TPB is concerned, is their site being blocked in our country. But as far as TPB's continued existence, the United States has no legal authority to do anything about it.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God

Originally posted by bronco73
Every one of the albums I've downloaded (around 3000) I have owned at one time or another in one format or another. They have already gotten my money and should not be entitled to take it again. They are using a lame assed piracy excuse in order to force me to pay for something that I have already paid for and should legally already have the right to possess, regardless of which format it comes in.

You're right... I probably bought and paid for over 30 cars in my lifetime and I'm done. From now on if I need a car I'm going to steal yours. Why should I pay for one??? I already have many times over. And clothing, food, houses, T.V.s, computers, hell I'm just going to go take whatever I want because I've already paid for them in the past...

Great logic.

What a silly argument, you are comparing apples to oranges. A car is a physical item, music is not. When you do purchase a car, that car is yours. Physical ownership of that car goes to you, that is not the case with music. With music you purchase the right to keep the music for personal use for as long as you wish and are legally entitled to have backup copies of that music. The copyright (ownership) of the music remains with the distributor of that music. Once I purchase the right to use that music once, legally I should not be required to purchase it again.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Not saying I haven't, but the next time you steal music think to yourself that you are contributing to the slump the global economy is currently in.

You must own stock in the RIAA.

Making an electronic copy actually produces something out of almost nothing (electrons).
It doesnt use up anything.
Paying for an electronic copy just transfers wealth from the poor to the rich. If you gave all your money for this electronic copy to the rich you would just be poorer and the rich would be richer.
The economy would not improve one bit.
The exact opposite would happen as the poor would have less money to spend on necessities which do stimulate the economy.

You must own stock in the RIAA.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
How does the United States have any say in Swedish affairs? TPB is a Swedish-run site, hosted on Swedish soil. You know, a sovereign nation. I fail to see how this bill can have any legal effect on TPB. What I do see potentially happening, as far as TPB is concerned, is their site being blocked in our country. But as far as TPB's continued existence, the United States has no legal authority to do anything about it.

It's not the actual site that the government want to take, it is the address of the site. i.e. www.internetsite.com as far as I know the allocation of these names globally is controlled by ICANN an American organization

ICANN wiki

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
To Hell with the Human Race. That should be the consensus now. We don't deserve to exist.
The world is ugly. And so are those that inhabit it and strive to destroy it.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by macabar

well i think it wouldnt be hard to set up a new ip resolution platform that was open source and have multipule sites to cross check against so it would be harder to poisen dns archives it would require
an architecure to anounce site translation into words
a dedicated platform of revolving base plus offset ip ranges so that no ip remains the same for any extended period of time

a user template to allow users to connect to one another in p2p fashion while allowing ip changes in real time

the topography of the internet has been mapped and we are all traceable on this current system and a recorsd of dns resolutions already lists where you have been

an idea for the city
we open source wifi and piggy back across conections to file share locally
i know in my aera that my neibours wifi sees mine and his sees his neibour and so on and so on

i wounder about encrypting traffic and weather that would be legal to protect privacy across the wifi network

we just go around the net to share

set up servers on ships in international waters and store all copy writen material there and encrypt to deliver
(will have to look into legality)

xp

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
You know what this means, assuming it goes thru... Get it all while you can!

Just make sure you seed you filthy leeches.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Hahaha why waste their time trying to stop it..it's just going to be like Napster....shut down the main one...and smaller ones pop up every where...face it, they can't stop it! and yes i admit it, i download movies and such, but then when i get paid i go out and buy the real dvds and everything...i mean, isnt getting the redbox codes for free movies, bringing them home and ripping the image file to your comp and burning it..pretty much the same???...i guess they dont think about that do they?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
You know what this means, assuming it goes thru... Get it all while you can!

Just make sure you seed you filthy leeches.

hahahaha agreed!!!!! SEEEDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
So, since copyright infringement is theft, and copyright expires: It would be totally OK to steal old things, right?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
typical response , i guess you favor there actions

Have you havent, noticed, people would rather save there budget and spend less, so in truth people and our society wants free.

By the way.

Then what does America Land of the free mean?

This policy doesnt bother me. Anyone who STILL wants to find "free stuff" will find it. Not to mention that the Internet already has plenty of free stuff. Im asking: Who needs all of this free entertainment? Life is more than just sitting around watching movies.

Some of these people really need to get laid.

edit on 22-9-2010 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join