It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The END of Online Piracy

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
reply to post by jpmail

I really have to laugh

First of all: You don't need DVDs or music, right? Consider them, as what they're: A luxury. If you can't afford to buy them, it's your own fault. Look for a better job where you get more money, so you can buy them or just don't buy it. You don't music or movies to survive, right?
It's just so crazy and egoistical that some people think they deserve everything for free or should only pay an absolute minimum because they have a #ty job, have to pay for other stuff and don't have money left..

Second: Where the [snip] do you buy your music? I searched on Amazon.co.uk and NEW CD releases go for 8,95 Pound. In Germany new releases are between 14,95 and 17,95€ which is not that much. In the late 90's you paid about 32,99 DM for a new CD. In the 70's you paid around 22 DM for a new LP which comes to about 28€ today if you count inflation. So CDs today are very cheap and you even get more music than for more money 40 years ago when LPs usually gave you 30-40 minutes of music, today you get 50-80 minutes.
Same goes for DVD's, especially since Blu-Ray is the latest hype, DVDs are really cheap, you can get new movie for about 9,99€. I waited and got Gran Torino two months after the release for 5,95€ on Amazon.
I remember in the early 90's they sold VHS tapes with 1 or 2 episodes of an TV-Show. I remember they wanted 19,95 DM for an Episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Today you can get the complete first season with about 15 episodes for 19,99€. Two months ago i just payed 9,99€ for the fourth Season of Knight Rider...
Yeah, everything is so [snip] expensive these days

Just look around, buy it online and you will save lots and lots of money.
Amazon even has that nifty Marketplace where some peoples sell new and used media for insanely low prices. Sure, the new cd may arrive 2 weeks later because it was sent from somewhere in Singapur or the USA, but if you can save 10€ you accept the waiting time.

I say: Pass the laws, destroy piracy. There's just no need to pirate movies or music, there's no need to download a movie that still runs in the cinemas. People should just wake up and look for good prices instead of bitching and moaning, just because you're too stupid and still buy your stuff in an expensive store

edit on 21/9/10 by masqua because: Removed 2 instances of vulgarity

grandma what the hell are you doing on my internetz? get back to the basement.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jpmail

I am sure the paradigm must have changed since the 90's but it used to be that in Canada, we would get new release CD's for relatively decent prices but get bent over when buying the backlog CD's whereas in the U.S. the new releases were more and the backlog items were cheaper. I do not know if the same type of thing happened over in the UK and neighbouring countries.

As for music and video content... I can not blame the artist or actors entirely for the lack of quality in their productions. The industry will mould the artist into a media friendly band and/or face then pressure them to put out something NOW. It's inevitable that garbage normally left in the studio creeps into the final cuts. In movies, it's simply lazy, unimaginative writing with common-denominator themes and plots that make people cringe. (hence the reason we see remake after remake and have effects that eclipse the story).

I just can not see piracy going the way of the dodo until there is a massive increase in the quality of the entertainment industry's output. There are options for sharing content and new ways are sure to follow just like torrents followed the demise of Napster. Hell, it may end up like the early days when a bootleg/pirated version of 'xyz' game/album/movie is posted and only up for 5 or 6 hours( this time due to being caught as opposed to because the poster needed his phone line again lol )

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Ok so lets look at it this way instead !

Whats going to happen in the future when we can virtually store media in our own brains to replay at any time we like , when Mp3 , video and raw data images , are stored virtually in our own augmented brains !

Are the entertainment industries going to claim copyright on media stored in our own memories , as we could easily watch a movie then download the data from our own brains and copy it and distribute it online !

there is no end to it , its all about money . and piracy , even though its a completely outdated term , and in no way relevant to the digital age , since piracy can only exist at sea under maritime law

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

the reality is even when media was analogic, they couldnt control it, now that its digital, there is no way you will be able to control it

they need to stop this myth that they lose money because of piracy, because really, anyone that bothers to research a little will find out that everyone that does piracy wouldnt buy it if they couldnt download it online

they should just start selling these stuff at a competitive price, but hey, even if they do that, those artists dont receive anything ... something needs to change really, everything is wrong in this business

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by colloredbrothers

these are the moments in life we stop and think, man, I am lucky to be me and have this brain instead of that

edit on 22/9/10 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
looking forward to US dept. of justice trying to enforce something worldwide.
i'm sure it will be a great fun to watch.
if only one country decides not to give a **** about US legislation (and i'm sure there will be more than one), all of the servers will simply move there and this whole thing will be nothing more than wasting taxpayer's money.

seriously, you people should do something about your government.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
What if I have some old vinyl LPs that wore out and I can't buy them anymore. If I have purchased the original why pay copyright fees again.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo
What if I have some old vinyl LPs that wore out and I can't buy them anymore. If I have purchased the original why pay copyright fees again.

You are suposed to pay *especially* for those!
Since the performer and author has already been payed, each sale of a vintage CD is pure profit for the company. For the same reason I urge you to buy direct-to-DVD movies on Blueray, for the increase in quality.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

You guys don't seem to get it. They don't need to shut down the sites. They just take over the domain name within the U.S. This won't stop anything because all you have to do is go through a proxy outside the U.S. It's ridiculous and won't stop jack....

Jaden

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The OP assumes that the majority of the world is on-side with Western-style capitalism, and eager to pay distributors instead of the original creators and producers. But no, that's not the way it is - the US doesn't have the support needed for this one.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I hope people also remember that the new way of identifing a computer will be by the cpu in the computer. When they trace your computer they read the hardware and record the cpu serial number and use it as a fingerprint. So in the near future when they want to shut down your computer from access they record your cpu serial number and put it on a no access list and when you try to use a new ip number they will check your cpu serial number and not give you access. But you will probly still be able to get around this by routeing through a different computer. How many people have multiple cpus or computers to do this?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

how will they get your CPU serial number? they cant get that if they have only your ip address ... so, can you elaborate on that and its technical details?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
The OP assumes that the majority of the world is on-side with Western-style capitalism, and eager to pay distributors instead of the original creators and producers. But no, that's not the way it is - the US doesn't have the support needed for this one.

*raises hand*
Actually, I personally am very pro Free-Market captialism when it comes to non essentials, like art. Thats why I am opposed to state granted monopolies (AKA Intellectual property laws) in this particular field.
Especially when the rationale behind these monopolies (To prevent a shortage in content, should everybody decide to keep his content to themselves, since he can't hope to sell it more than once) has been shown to be very flawed: Long copyright terms actually discourage the production of new content, simply because you can still sell your old stuff too.
A german economist (Just off the top of my head, I can dig it out if need be) wrote a study about the bookmarket in England and in Germany in the 18th up to 19th century. England at the time knew copyright laws, germany did not. Result: More and cheaper books in Germany, than in England. Not suprising actually, happens all the time when there is a monopoly.
I do not think free markets can solve everything. But this thing: yes, it could.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The end of Torrent sites perhaps!

This just means p2p networks like gnut etc will once again flourish!

These people can do and think what they like but they have and all ways will be fighting a losing battle, unless of course the plug on the internet is pulled.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
I hope people also remember that the new way of identifing a computer will be by the cpu in the computer. When they trace your computer they read the hardware and record the cpu serial number and use it as a fingerprint. So in the near future when they want to shut down your computer from access they record your cpu serial number and put it on a no access list and when you try to use a new ip number they will check your cpu serial number and not give you access. But you will probly still be able to get around this by routeing through a different computer. How many people have multiple cpus or computers to do this?

This method of identifying computers was tried and failed in the early 2000's. The cpu identification was able to be turned off in the systems bios and was only applicable to Intel Cpu's at the time. Beyond being an invasion of your privacy, it was a silly idea. Replacement cpu's, network filtering and a host of other methods would be able to block your system from being queried for this information. Likely you would need to be running internet explorer for this to work in the first place, which...fewer and fewer people are running.

The whole premise that the USA will suddenly start seizing domains is retarded. Several companies already offer instant c-name subdomains as well as url shorteners. With dnydns and similar services you don't even need a real domain name... and considering how the hosts file works, one could have "microsoft.com" rerouted to a warez site via their local machine. This is a fight they cannot win, primarily because those fighting for this inane concept have no idea how the technology actually works.

..Ex

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Both sides of the argument have good points but someone said that most people wouldn't buy (music, DVD's etc) if they didn't get it free on the internet. I'm sure some people wouldn't, but I wouldn't say most. It's like food stamps. There are a lot of people who can afford to buy their food but still get food stamps. Why buy the food when you can get it for free?

BTW, that is not how I think. But I'm sure their are plenty of people that look at it that way and it goes the same for online piracy.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Its built into the trace programs they have now. DOD SIPRnet is already doing this for security on secret internet protocol router network "SIPRnet". The DOD is releasing old technology to the civilian government and this is part of it. The technology that you see now coming out was created by DOD back in 2002 - 2004. You see them talk about Aurora this and Android that when describing the new software platforms for everything and that is coming from the USDOD. The DOD back in 2002 hired computer and software companies to create a secret processors and computer hardware and software for DOD secret internet. Those companies were paid large sums of money and all expenses paid for doing it. Those compaines were also given the patents of what they created so when the day came for them to be released to the public they would own the rights to it. You might of heard of the secret black budget project Aurora for the Air Force. Well it was not a plane.

citeseerx.ist.psu.edu...

citeseerx.ist.psu.edu...

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by stephanies-chase

sure, there are some people that would buy, but, most people would find other ways to get that music or video or whatever, since they cant pay for it

they would probably get from other people that bought, exchange and many other methods, but they wouldnt buy retail

and lets be realistic, its very difficult to download something online, most people in this planet dont have any idea, and since they dont have money to buy the retail product, you know what they do? they buy in the streets a pirated copy for much less than the retail

so, lets say you cant download anymore; well, people would still be able to copy, and they would sell pirated copies, like they do today, or simply exchange copies, using large harddrives, pendrives, cellphones (nowadays everything you have can store something) and the problem would just move, from the internet, to the streets ...

the only way for the industry to "win" the battle against copies is to make the retail to a competitive price

they lost since the beginning, when the first media got released

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I think it would be easy to not release your ID, or to simply create a fake ID and send that instead

since its just information, you can always hack it or disable it ...

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by stephanies-chase

The problem though is, that the shop where i can turn in food stamps is cleaner, has more variety, the quality is better, nobody looks at me wierd if i want "22.46 grams of bacon" - just because that is just how much bacon I need, and they only sell it in 50 gram packagaes, is closer to where I live, and doesn't exploit child labor.

The shop where i can't use my foodstamps has one slightly moldy can of peaches, has a detective following me while I try to shop, and gives me a full cavity search, and forces me to sign a 5 Page document detailing meals I may not cook with that can of peaches, should I choose to buy it. And after I bought it, the cashier yells at me, that should I dare to go into the other shop, he will put me in prison, because the other places parking space was built in violation to the zoning laws of an entirely different place.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join