It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The END of Online Piracy

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Interesting. But then again tech savvy people will find a way. It's already taken government this long to act.

People that want to save their money still will do so. Either sharing from friends/family or things like netflix. Even if you buy used and sell after you're done with the software, you might only lose 5 bucks on a $50-60 piece of software.

The thing that bugs me is the crack down on used software. Gaming companies don't want you to be able to sell games, and I think that is wrong and flat out greedy. So the crack down on pirated software isn't about justice or "what is right", it's just excessive greed that drive their actions. In which case they don't deserve sympathy. Software users that want to be efficient with their money should be allowed to do so.

I think human cooperation is a great thing, when we can network and have a greater reward then just the individual parts, but they just want to compartmentalize people and have us just act as single, isolated units. So on a philosophical level I also find what they're doing wrong, they don't want teamwork between consumers.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
As a direct reply to this thread and this topic... I give you this:

The Hacker Manifesto

by
+++The Mentor+++
Written January 8, 1986

Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers. "Teenager Arrested in Computer Crime Scandal", "Hacker Arrested after Bank Tampering"...

Damn kids. They're all alike.

But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain, ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker? Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?

I am a hacker, enter my world...

Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me...

Damn underachiever. They're all alike.

I'm in junior high or high school. I've listened to teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction. I understand it. "No, Ms. Smith, I didn't show my work. I did it in my head..."

Damn kid. Probably copied it. They're all alike.

I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...

Damn kid. All he does is play games. They're all alike.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. "This is it... this is where I belong..." I know everyone here... even if I've never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...

Damn kid. Tying up the phone line again. They're all alike...

You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless. We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.

Source: www.mithral.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I would love to see a poll on here about if you pirate movies, music, etc... what is your age.
I'll bet it's all the young ones raised with a less moral upbringing with Mom and Dad both working or divorced that do the pirating.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

When people are all about piracy and the music industry, I remind them the story of Frank Zappa. Here was an artist who had some novelty, some talent and a following. At the whim of the music execs he was relegated to obscurity as "not marketable" and not mainstream. So for his life he struggled and fought to be heard. He did release a few albums, but as anyone in the industry is aware if the label doesn't support you, you wont sell much. At least not back then...

Upon his death, his wife released an album about his life's work. This is something that the record label execs were very interested in. She told them to get bent and released it privately. Since they didn't' help during his life, these vultures shouldn't profit on his passing.
This is the power of the record labels. They can make your life hell, just because or make you a star for the same reasons. The only concern is money and not money for you.

Had the internet been around during Frank Zappa's life, in the current state. I have no doubt that he would provide avenue for people to be able to buy his music directly or if they has no money some way for them to enjoy it without money.

To the record execs, it's because stories like these that I will teach whomever wants to learn how to download anything they want while protecting themselves from those vultures that circle above. It is not illegal to teach people you know

..Ex

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God

Originally posted by RMFX1
I'm not going to lie about it, I steal stuff all the time. I steal movies, music, games, TV shows. You name it, I steal it. It's just too easy online.

www.viciouspotato.net...

And it's people like you who ruin it for everyone else. Why do you think there are never any "good" bands touring through your little town? Because you are stealing their proffits and they can't afford to. I love how people like you steal from the bands they love and wonder why the music industry get's a little worse every year. These musicians spend thousands of hours and their own money to write and record this music and you steal it from them without a care in the world.
Stealing is stealing no matter how you slice it and I hope they put weasels like yourself in prison.

If there was money to be made from your backwards little town the bands would come. They don't tour for free. They are all in it for the money, but let me get this straight anyway. You think that if bands made enough money from CD sales that they would actually SPEND some of that money to come play out somewhere in hicksville just for you?

Yeah, okay

And BTW, I don't live in a small town. I live in a city. I get to see all the bands that I want. I don't feel your pain

edit on 21-9-2010 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I would love to see a poll on here about if you pirate movies, music, etc... what is your age.
I'll bet it's all the young ones raised with a less moral upbringing with Mom and Dad both working or divorced that do the pirating.

I would like to ask for a ban of this guy, I mean, its impossible for a person that thinks that way to add anything to a board like this ... come on, is this a joke?

next time you post on this board, try to do a little search before talking anything that comes to your head

read this

Originally posted by Faiol
lets be realistic here, most people that download torrents or any other illegal way those copyrighted files, they wouldnt have the money to pay for them anyway

so, in my opinion, you cant say that downloading music (or movie, or a game, or a book) copyrighted is stealing, simply because if you werent downloading it, it wouldnt change anything for the industry or any other third party

but, you could say that, by downloading a music or any other file, you are helping improve the public awareness of that product, since, you will be able to talk about that product and do free advertising, therefore motivating new users to buy it

sorry, but until this day, nobody proved to me that by excluding internet downloading, it would increase the industry's profit

edit on 21/9/10 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
So do I what's your point???

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I would like to ask for a ban of this guy, I mean, its impossible for a person that thinks that way to add anything to a board like this ... come on, is this a joke?

next time you post on this board, try to do a little search before talking anything that comes to your head

read this

What's wrong did I strike a nerve???

edit on 21-9-2010 by Soldier of God because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

man, you are a soldier of God, I forgot, the only material you can research is the bible

I need to stop feeding the "T"s

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I bet your one of those bible thumpers that think all of the molested kids are lying to discredit the priest, or clergy. I bet your one of those that think the molestations only happen in other places to other people. I bet your high moral upbringing would crash to a thousand little pieces if you had 5 minutes in your preachers head as the little girls/boys walked by.

The sheer arrogance of your entirety is astounding. Perhaps if you were to provide something other than judgment to this thread. There really is some good information in here, but I fear it's lost on the closed mindedness of stigma.

..Ex

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by v3_exceed

I bet your one of those bible thumpers that think all of the molested kids are lying to discredit the priest, or clergy. I bet your one of those that think the molestations only happen in other places to other people. I bet your high moral upbringing would crash to a thousand little pieces if you had 5 minutes in your preachers head as the little girls/boys walked by.

The sheer arrogance of your entirety is astounding. Perhaps if you were to provide something other than judgment to this thread. There really is some good information in here, but I fear it's lost on the closed mindedness of stigma.

..Ex

How is there good information if you are condoning theft???

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974
reply to post by Solomons

You have the same dilusion that other theives have.. If that copy was not available and you wanted the product.. Without the illegal copy.. Said company would profit from your purchase! FACT!! PERIOD!!

I believe this is what it is really about. You used to have no choice but to pay them. Now, you don't have to so they want to pass legislation to force you to pay them.

If I purchase a car it belongs to me and I can do with it what I want. If I purchase a pair of shoes they belong to me and I can do with it what I want. If I purchase a CD it doesn't belong to me and I can't do with it what I want? I don't think so.

IMO, this is what happens when you try to make money off of art. Art shouldn't be for profit.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
You'd think that the companies would learn by now that you can't stop piracy online ever.
You stop one way of doing it someone will just come up with a different way.
Napster was the first.
someone will eventually invent a p2p that's totally encrypted. ip's are hashed in a way that's 256 bit encryption.
file table nodes with servers will be rotated among the users using the file sharing program.

and best of all if someone tries to break the programming they run afoul of dmca.

it's just a matter of time.

i assure you napster was certainly not the first. warez has had a large presence on IRC for decades.

and before irc they did it over BBS.

ironicly some of the first pirates were pirating sounds. keyboardist and drum machine guys would exchange sounds over BBS because Roland/Yamaha/Sony etc would charge phenomenal amounts of money just for the digital sounds to MAKE the music we would end up pirating years later.

after MPEG compression was introduced midi sounds turned to samples, and as disk storage grew, samples turned to entire songs.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Divinci was paid!!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

Frank was alway loved and we used to distribute an share cassete with his many albums back in the old USSR.
If online sharing dies, then we'll have to keep on sharing in an analog way. Over years I downloaded over 6 terabytes and shared 3 times more than that. No I share with people I know in my city by lending them my hard drives - Sharing is the first step into divinity!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
i should be allowed to download an album that i paid for and lost, sorry.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

lets be realistic here, most people that download torrents or any other illegal way those copyrighted files, they wouldnt have the money to pay for them anyway

so, in my opinion, you cant say that downloading music (or movie, or a game, or a book) copyrighted is stealing, simply because if you werent downloading it, it wouldnt change anything for the industry or any other third party

but, you could say that, by downloading a music or any other file, you are helping improve the public awareness of that product, since, you will be able to talk about that product and do free advertising, therefore motivating new users to buy it

sorry, but until this day, nobody proved to me that by excluding internet downloading, it would increase the industry's profit

to download a digital copy cant be considered theft, since the owners wouldnt get any money if you DIDNT download it

the owners of the file can gain from digital copies free advertising, they dont lose money, they didnt need to produce a physical copy, they didnt have that cost for the copy you downloaded, and since you wouldnt buy anyway, you are not taking money away from them

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

to download a digital copy cant be considered theft, since the owners wouldnt get any money if you DIDNT download it

the owners of the file can gain from digital copies free advertising, they dont lose money, they didnt need to produce a physical copy, they didnt have that cost for the copy you downloaded, and since you wouldnt buy anyway, you are not taking money away from them

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Yeah this is all about todays lack of morals..

It's not like people who grew up in the 70's or 80's used recent technological developments to "kill the music industry" through pirating..

Oh wait

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6221b2d667f1.gif[/atsimg]

wiki

edit on 21-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

So do I what's your point???

Then why did you mention bands touring through "little towns"? Big bands almost never play little towns, so I took your comment as a bitter swipe by someone who's angry about living out in a swamp somewhere.

So what was YOUR point?

And for the record (no pun intended) I very rarely steal music. I do buy music that I like as I do other forms of media, but I have absolutely zero qualms about downloading a movie, song or a game that I'm sure I'll only give one listen or watch. I do it all the time. Reason being that all of the above are grossly overpriced. Disgustingly over-priced infact.

Answer me this. Do you honestly think if there was less piracy that the film, music or gaming industry would lower their prices? OF course they wouldn't and if you do think that then you're being incredibly naive. It's the bigwigs at the top who are ruining it for everybody. They are the weasels who are taking the lump share of the profits. Those are the weasels who are ruining it for everybody else. Not me.

And one more point, you mentioned in another post that was a reply to someone else that it was only the top 5% of the artists in the music industry that were making the big money. They are also the artists who are the most pirated.

If the other 95% were better at their trade then maybe they'd be up there too. But most people aren't interested in them and therefore piracy plays a minor part in their standing in both life and the business.

P.S In future please refrain from calling me names, or wishing ill will on me. Thanks in advance.

edit on 21-9-2010 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join