It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 Updates Thread - #(UPDATE Nov. 10)#

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Most-likely a 240 pixel maximum height for the avatar, no height limit for backgrounds.

It appears that the width changed, too. What is the size for avatar width changed to now?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Ok I see more changes...

All this is really bad for my OCD

I miss my flag bar but I will survive.

I like the option to look at a members threads or posts without viewing their profile.

Just an observation, the flag bar. Can't it still be red? It stands out more.

I think it looks "clean" all around, I like it.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Unless I am mistaken, I think W refers to a member's WATS (Way Above) contribution level. A list that I believe is not auto-updated...However, in the mini profiles now I think that number is accurate...

WATS level?

Where does that number come from, I can't find any corrosponding number in my profile? According to my avatar, my W score =40.

How did I accumulate that number and how is it calculated?

edit on 9/29/10 by FortAnthem because: Bad spelling, bad, bad spelling!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I just wanted to add a positive comment to the thread as I dig this new layout, it gives the joint a more modernized, up to date look. Im sure it took a lot of elbow work to implement such a vastly different design, and the efforts are much appreciated.

The only thing missing as far as I can see is what the Associate mentioned, no friend/foe indicator to be found. Once that is mastered and returned to the fold I would say the changes made will be a great success.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
WATS level?

Where does that number come from, I can't find any corrosponding number in my profile? According to my avetar, my W scoer =40.

How did I accumulate that number and how is it calculated?

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by TrueAmerican

The "WATS Index" is calculated as: ((FLAGS x 5) x STARS)/1000000.

Flags definitely have more weight, but someone with lots of stars but solid flags can get into the list.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on Wed Sep 29th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Flags definitely have more weight, but someone with lots of stars but solid flags can get into the list.

So if someone has no flags it is fair to say they may not have a WATS rating either?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by justadood

and probably also, to not throw us all into a state of shock by presenting it all at once.

Then, as a side note, humans are not ready to see and meet extraterrestrials. If changing "too much" at once a website is "too much" for a human, then I can't imagine what "instant" extraterrestrial contact would be like.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I kind of don't like the flags / stars thing being in the side bar as I can just see it being used as a rating for how valid your opinions are by some... Or is that the point of it?
If W is there why aren't points or applause?

I'm not just upset about having a W of 0 honest

edit on 29-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
also, if i edit a post, when i hit 'reply' or 'edit' or whatever to return to the thread with edits completed, i get sent to that missing url page image, even tho the edit went through. to get back to the thread, i have to use my back button o the browser.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Actually, flags don't have more weight than stars in that formula (which seems to be the correct one for how WATS is calculated).

Mathematically, there's no difference between:

((FLAGS x 5) x STARS)/1000000

and

(FLAGS x (5 x STARS))/1000000

and even

(FLAGS x STARS)/200000

edit on 9/29/2010 by americandingbat because: fix my parentheses

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

You deserve an applause for that. So here, just in case I am overruled:

But you better talk to SO on that one cause he is the one that posted the above and devised it. See the link.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I like all the changes except for the teeny tiny dark grey default fonts in the sigs. Quite frankly I can't believe I'm the only one who's said anything about it.

I find them very hard to read and I can see that causing significant eye strain, headaches and aggravation in the long term. (Since I'm thoroughly addicted to ATS and I'm on it all day every day! LOL)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
FWIW deep linking for non-members is broken. For an example, simply logout and click this link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Notice it works while logged in, but not otherwise.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The site displays much faster now, and is structurally much more pleasing, but the color scheme and font choice are both a little unappealing.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

And the structure is using HTML div-tags and CSS for positioning, which also typically "renders" much faster in modern browsers than the old format.

Oh ya... Nice!!!

I'm noticing faster loading acfually

I actually don't often like change, but here....
I'm definately loving it
Everything looks super cool
and you guys nailed the 'ex' tag display, how external content looks right now is perfection
I honestly don't think it could have looked better

EDIT: Oh ya and the quoted text to, like I just quoted you
both of those are great

edit on 29-9-2010 by ModernAcademia because: because I can!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I logged out and came back a hour later and thought I logged into some where ells.
Kind of took me by surprise but all in all nice

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
I'm actually rather thankful for the progressive phasing-in.

It's planned that way.

In my "past life," I've been in the upper-tier of people responsible for major overhauls of serious websites. Each time the entire site was dumped on users, it was a nightmare. The gradual integration, in this case, is part of the plan.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by airspoon
What happened to the "new threads" that were on the side? Is that gone for good?

In reviewing the click-stream data in the site analytics, a stunningly low percentage of people actually used those links. In the redesign, we opted to give more space for posts by removing an item that appeared to have very limited actual use.

This is what happens when idiots use statistics to make decisions; they only look at the numbers and not the qualitative results of their decisions.

Sure, I use the "recent posts" button a lot more than the "Most Flagged/ Most Active/ New Threads" buttons on the side but, I always found them to be a very important and convenient tool to see if I might be missing out on something important that I might not have picked up on through just the currently active threads.

Now, I have to click through a bunch of inconvenient and time consuming buttons to get the same info that was always right there where I could see it.

Bring back the "Most Flagged/ Most Active/ New Threads" lists on the side. They never bothered me or seemed to take away valuable screen space and I always found them to be an invaluable resource.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
So I see now that ignores are no longer working, in addition to having no control over them. Is the ignore feature now finally gone forever (I hope not), or it that just something left to be dealt with?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Is the ignore feature now finally gone forever

Yes it is.

It's our feeling that, back when ATS was a more wild and untamed place, the ignore function was an appropriate respite for members. However, we now have a sharp and professional staff who works hard at keeping the streets clean and the lights on. I understand it may cause some friction for those who were accustomed to negating the input of certain members, but please give it time as the ability to consider even the most abrasive contribution -- from its philosophical perspective -- is a critical component of denying ignorance and supporting free-and-open expression.

(getting off soapbox)

edit on 29-9-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join