It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 Updates Thread - #(UPDATE Nov. 10)#

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I can understand that, I guess if I have to lol, though is there anywhere on the site that we can go to see the newest posts, regardless of flags or replies and without going into each forum? If there isn't, is there anyway to dedicate a whole page to the information that used to be on the side? Maybe there already is one and I just don't know about it?

Other than that, I like the look.

Also, is there a way to "single" a post, like with the old layout? I found that option useful for keeping records of very well thought-out posts.

--airspoon

edit on 29-9-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Site looks super cool...I'm not afraid of change!

Bold move forward in my opinion...new look looks pretty.

I will say I will miss the side menu telling me the most recent posts and most active new posts...I did use that a lot.

Other then that, all looks absolutely awesome, and I'm sure I'll get over the missing side menu.

Thanks for all the hard work!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

The new look will take a little getting use to but I can dig it yo.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I absolutely love this thank-you so much for all the work that you guys have obviously put in ... it looks amazing.

I especially like the sidebar where you can now easily find the posts a member has made in the thread you are reading ... it makes things so much easier.

Did I say that I absolutely love it

Woody (if I were a cat I'd be purring)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

It's not unnecessary clutter though, it's peoples' sigs. People put important and personal stuff in there.

I don't really see the point of having sigs that are SO small that they're almost impossible to read without zooming in.....?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
1029a fixed it. Thanks!

PS: I too miss the little "new threads" list on the right side of the page, but I can see how the screen real-estate could be better used.

New update looks great!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Hi, SO. Sorry to bother you, but I noticed that the "one of your friends" bar has been removed (in the forums, it still shows when I visit their profiles) and I was wondering if that's going to be a permanent change or just temporary? Everything else looks awesome!

Thanks for your time,

-TheAssoc.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
... but as you may be able to tell, the new layout works hard to remove anything that may have been "unnecessary clutter" that got in the way of actually reading what people write.

No clutter indeed!

That post right there is an entire screen, so not much in the way of clutter or content.

So any post that is somewhat brief combined with an avatar that is somewhat large produces one post per page with almost nothing to read ... unless of course someone wants to post in their signature, within which one can write a dissertation.

20 scrolls for a 20 post thread page if one isn't on an ipad ... as predicted earlier on this thread.

How efficient!

On the other hand the new color scheme looks great., so there's that.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thanks sdog, you are right.

The posts already take up a huge amount of space anyway, so increasing the default font size for sigs won't make any difference. And, it'll make them a helluva lot easier to read!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

What? Will you explain that to me a little slower? Lol...

I'm using Mint9 with latest Firefox.

Were you able to fix the settings so that the zoom feature affects the whole screen (incl. type) proportionally and were you able to fix the issue with the search bar stretching into the margins? I'd love to be able to un-install the nosquint add on. I don't use it for anything other than this site.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
So any post that is somewhat brief combined with an avatar that is somewhat large produces one post per page with almost nothing to read

That is in the list of next steps... a smaller maximum height for avatars. However, we can't do that overnight and need to give people plenty of time to modify their avatars for the change.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

What would be the new avatar dimensions?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551

Most-likely a 240 pixel maximum height for the avatar, no height limit for backgrounds.

This was an intense day of code... the new thread layout, and changing over to it, is completely rewritten back-end code and front-end style/layout. Even though it was 99% done as of yesterday, there was a long-list of piecemeal adjustments to make in the transition from development area to live site. So if you don't mind, I'm off to cook my signature burritos and swill a few margaritas... but I'll be back to check on this thread in a few hours.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
I can understand that, I guess if I have to lol, though is there anywhere on the site that we can go to see the newest posts, regardless of flags or replies and without going into each forum?

I'll be working on an idea to bring ATS live content into the thread pages, but in a click-to-show/click-to-hide format that won't change the page layout. Stay tuned.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
Also, is there a way to "single" a post, like with the old layout? I found that option useful for keeping records of very well thought-out posts.

I've been looking around;
This option still seems to be available via the Profile page of the poster.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Was getting the error codes as well

I only know Macintosh as a fruit to eat and am running firefox

Tried to backspace to capture it but pages already reloaded

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Good work, SO - have a well deserved break, tonight!
Cheers!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
has anyone mentioned yet that the link to the Sub-forum at the top of the thread sends us to a broken link? (in all forums/threads, not just this one. for example, the "ATS BOARDS BUSNIESS link at the top of this thread sends me to this link .abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT: ah, i see now it is broken because of the "." in front of the 'abovetopsecret'

My opinion as a new-ish user? It seems like there has been fairly major changes to lay outs every week or so. And this last one seems quite ugly and user-un friendly.

Will it every settle on one format?

edit on 29-9-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2010 by justadood because: see above

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by sphinx551

Most-likely a 240 pixel maximum height for the avatar, no height limit for backgrounds.

This was an intense day of code... the new thread layout, and changing over to it, is completely rewritten back-end code and front-end style/layout. Even though it was 99% done as of yesterday, there was a long-list of piecemeal adjustments to make in the transition from development area to live site. So if you don't mind, I'm off to cook my signature burritos and swill a few margaritas... but I'll be back to check on this thread in a few hours.

I give much props for the new look, and I believe I will like it.

You mentioned "no height limit for backgrounds", and I assume this means image backgrounds for avatars. If I am mistaken, please correct me.

This is the background image I am currently using, but as you can see, it is not showing up on my avatar in full:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/516b273faedb.png[/atsimg]

My question is if there is no limit on Avatar background image, is this a temporary flaw, or is this a permanent part of the ATS 2010 look?

thanks,
ET

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

It is in fact, just one new "re-do", but it is being phased in gradually (see SO's explanation at the beginning of this thread) due to an intensive, mind-bending coding process, and probably also, to not throw us all into a state of shock by presenting it all at once.
I'm actually rather thankful for the progressive phasing-in.

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join