It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elders of ATS

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Being around for a long time doesn't really mean much of anything. If you remember ATS before the forums, well....you're kind of an oldbie. But, it doesn't necessarily mean you're worthy of extra respect or have greater insight into the mysteries we spend hours poring over. I just love finding good threads these days and taking them for a read.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Well there's lots of people who are new here and they don't know nothing and post the same things we've seen hundreds of times before.

I wish they would just search more.

But still new members can bring new perspective to things.

Yay I'm an elder!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I think it's funny to label myself as an "Elder", but if that's what you want to call me, then that's fine by me. I am not a super contributor, I was far more active in the beginning just like all new memebers but now I pick and choose my battles and opinions.

Most threads I post in are of my own opinion and I try and leave one great post instead of fifteen one liners or misc. nonsense. I don't for one second think that my opinion is any more valuable than anyone else's because we all begin in the same place, curiosity and embarassment.

We all want to question that which is shunned, made fun of, talked down about and generally written off without a second thought. However once you pass that stage of curiosity and learn the ways of the forum and begin to decipher the various BS posts from the truly legitimate questions then you will be considered wise.

Some members find their wisdom faster than others, and yet others still like myself choose to keep their thoughts focused, important and relevent to the topic or topics to which they post. In my case I have bursts of active posting, and often times I can go months without replying to anything, simply because the topic is not of sufficient interest to me or not worth wasting my time. (Obvious questions or self-answering threads)

Each member is technically equal in my opinion, it's just context that divides us.

King

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

Oh Elder King...You have been here longer than half of these kids here (Phage) have been alive ..lol

I really don't understand why you are not a Mod...
you have avery cool avatar ..all the Mods have cool Avatars....ever see a mod without a cool avatar ummmm capn' kirk???

Congrats on 6 years of this charade! ATS

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

I was actually looking into making a new avatar, one that is part of my celtic background, but also has some hidden secrets built in for the really sharp eyed individual.

As far as the long term member thing, yeah, I've been around and done lots of research on the old threads when the big boys were still active members, however things change and I just sit back and watch what's going on. Besides, don't you think they have enough moderators as it is?

Too many chiefs and not enough indians leads to a pretty bloody conversation.

Thanks for the support.

King

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

My opinion is no more valid then that of members of have been around for less time . I do feel that myself and others who have been around longer then I have can speak from the experiences they have had on the boards . I also don't mind helping out newer members if they need to without acting as a vigilant moderator .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
I declare you have a more valued opinion of things.

Is this just a thread of superiority trying to make out because you're a "vet" here at ATS your opinion holds more strength than that of someone who joined yesterday ?

So much for "denying ignorance"

With age comes wisdom ?

You could also say

With age comes arrogance and ignorance

The latter seems to be the case for you

And we already have a council of elders they're called the owners & moderators who do an outstanding job here

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

yes, I'm proof of this, been a member since 2004, and well.........

I'm just an old, neglected antique.....with a moderate case of crs....(can't remember s.....t.....)..

na, we've have gotten quite a few quality posters since I first started visiting this site.....don't let their age fool ya.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

At least you can do your own avatar.
I am depending on the kindness of
others for my avatar.
I'm the type who needs flashcards when
it comes to computers.I even type with one
finger!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Well there's lots of people who are new here and they don't know nothing and post the same things we've seen hundreds of times before.

I wish they would just search more.

But still new members can bring new perspective to things.

Yay I'm an elder!

Yeah...... go ahead and rub it in while we poor newbies get shoved to the dog box.
Just remember, it's the youngens of today who will be hand feeding/changing your bed pan tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
heehee

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I love peanut butter, oatmeal with raisins, and snickedoodles.

reply to post by randyvs

Well, yes, I know you, but I also know leadership qualities.

A threat to leadership, is when someone brings something to the table, that directly threatens the status-quo, and then it is simple to see how that leadership will evaluate it based upon whether they accept it.

Or destroy, nullify, and avoid it.

Divide and Conquer, the Art of War, or Management, leadership is about knowing what is valuable, and what is a threat, and which action to take.

George Thorogood - Get a Haircut

The problem with that perceived threat, is sometimes it is exactly what is needed, not only to shake up the leadership, but to inspire others to rise to a higher level of ability, and stop stagnating through immobility.

In all Government systems, Military, Law Enforcement, and Intelligence Agencies, it is called stovepiping, it is where information is lead to a dead-end, due to bureaucracy through the status-quo, and ignorance rises like cream.

It is the symptom of a disease addled system that no one longer has value.

Very similar, in fact, to how Government, take your pick of which one, runs their countries, without listening to its citizens, and it leads to revolution.

A coup d'état through attrition is what happens, because people quite simply stop listening to the system that no longer listens to them, their ideas are seen as simplistic, naive, and or not worth the time of leadership.

And this is when a system will not only destroy itself but everyone else within it.

This is exactly why America has lost its luster as a premiere country.

Everyone has given up, because apathy has set in, and Government no longer cares about the people, it has even given up the appearance of trying to appear to care, which is a part of how this country will fall to her knees.

And never recover.

Journey- Don't Stop Believing Music Video

This is ultimately why I strongly encourage people to actually give a damn.

Both about ATS and our country, because both need the apathy to be broken through, and for people to give a damn, because without actually doing something about the system, which is failing, nothing will ever be done to change things the way they are, into a real working system.

If you are not a part of the solution, you are not only a part of the problem, you are in fact the problem itself, through attrition of ignorance.

I keep telling people, voting is not the end of our responsibility, it is the beginning of it, and continuing with our responsibility is where vigilance, and action through community involvement, comes into play for change.

Citizen Soldiers- 3 Doors Down

If enough people hear the call to duty, not necessarily to a Government agency, the Military, Law Enforcement, or even Intelligence Agencies, but to get involved within their own separate communities, quite possibly, we as a society might actually stop the rampant corruption.

This however is up to each of us as citizens of our independent countries.

As well as each of our independent local communities, ATS is a community as well, a fringe element community, but a community nonetheless.

And until each of us commits to actually being involved in our community, or pulls our collective heads out of our posterior, nothing will ever change.

Kid Rock - Warrior (Lyrics)

Which is exactly why ATS needs members like you randyvs, and every other ATS'er on this thread, as well as those not on it yet.

Old members, new members, ATS Administration, Super-Moderators, Moderators, F.S.M.E.'s, and everyone else in between, even the trolls who annoy.

Let us as well not forget the fallen members of our community who have passed on.

Hoobastank - Born To Lead

[edit on 28-7-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
the "elders of ATS"? BAHAHAHA!!!!!! So, i'm guessing you consider yourself as an...'elder'? I smell oppression in the air tonight.....

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Man, this thread sure brought some of the old... er, uh... I mean "elder"ly members out of the woodwork.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I don't wanna grow up
I'm an ATS kid,
There's a million threads
At ATS
That I can post in.

From grays to trails to debate games
It's the biggest forum there is (Gee Whiz)

I don't wanna grow up
Because maybe if I did
I couldn't be an ATS kid

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I know what you mean...I am going through
my second childhood and I am spending it here!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Not sure I agree with the premise of the opening post at all...sorry.

I've been here since '05, I'm well over ten thousand posts, yet I find that I don't know any more, in fact many times it's less, then a member who joined a month ago.

Yeah, I may know more about how the sight operates, but there are many who know more about that than I do...

Essentially, we're all about the same importance wise... We, all of us, most assuredly have something unique to offer that no one else does.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

9) I am a prime example of why there should be no Elder Council, and the idea doesn't make much sense.

Ya really have to love a post like this. Makes me wonder what goes on in minds like this. I mean the stuff they don't let us know about. Another
Great post.

All seeing eye
TAKE NOTICE

This issue is about giving advice when asked for. I see nothing that states the youngens need to bow down to the elders. The majority of responses are negative because they would be excluded from wisdom exercises, or something lol lol.

I'm so glad somebody caught on to that. Thank you Thgank you Thank you.
Intrepid was the only other one to even come close. Of course now this
prolly makes me a troll.

Dg

Heck, post in Chinese if you must!!!!!

Is she not a sweetheart? Do I even have to ask?

In case you wonder about my "qualifications" for Eldership, you need look no further than the first page of the Members list. I registered on these forums a mere one day after Simon Gray...The Creator & First Founder of the ATS website. I'm listed right there at "lucky" number 13. I've seen people that, to me, were new & gradually advancing up the "corporate ladder" of ATS: Yes, I remember when some of the Three Amigos first started posting & I've been in discussions with people who later became Mods too (quite a few of those). I've even been offered "Mod-ship" twice but turned it down both times.

All I can say is WoW Just WoW!
Man I bet you've seen a lotta chit!

Dog

Always an outstanding post. I'm honored. lmao

[edit on 28-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have been a member for a long time but in no way do I feel like an "elder."

The better name for me is "Lurker"

I'll give myself a little credit though. I have been coming here since I was 14 and now I am 20. This is one of the few websites that makes me keep coming back!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dances With Angels

I'll give myself a little credit though. I have been coming here since I was 14 and now I am 20. This is one of the few websites that makes me keep coming back!

See it's like I said though. You would be an elder with a more valued opinion to all of your posts. Your actual age would be an addition to the diversity of the Counsel of High Elders. God this is so Medevil, I love the idea. Sorry I don't mean to gloat. It would be a blast though. Say like an ongoing thread.
It would just be a riot.
I don't even care who starts it. I think it would be a blast. But it has to be
upstairs not down.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join