It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elders of ATS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

The problem is ATS Administration would never go for it.

You are most likely all to wise my King.
I'm stunned by how well you know me, as I am only one. Amoung so many who are loyal. So, hell ya you get a cookie.

To all of you .
Looks like my silly thread got the jump on me.
So many great posts. This is way to cool peeps.
Thank you each and everyone of you. So bitchen.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by depth om

I don't think I've ever seen a member from 2001, which is a bit odd.

I think CX might foot that bill. OOPs! Hope I'm not rat'in him off some how?

Lord Baskett

Through the years I have noticed one interesting thing here that was fun to watch. ATS became a news hub that got information faster than some(most) main stream news outlets. I havent watched a tv in years, but Im up on current events that most people don't hear about do to some celebrity scandal bullcrap. Some threads here contain alot of "raw data" unavailible elsewhere

You just mentioned one the most awesome things about this place Lord.
Good for you friend.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Uuummm, I can see your point but, not so much the reasoning.

We are all searching for answers and we each carry with us personal knowledge and perspectives in life that hold a relative value of importance to various situations.

Why try and label others as "elders" and therefore more knowledgeable b/c they joined this site years before others.?

Obviously they are more knowledgeable about the "in's and out's" of this specific website but, should we label them as elders?

Ooohh, hold up....Leo is getting ready to orb in so he can save the charmed ones.

Sorry for the sarcasim but, anytime I hear the word "Elders" I cannot help but think of that show.

I personally do not like the idea of further separation and the false sense of superiority.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Uuummm, I can see your point but, not so much the reasoning.

We are all searching for answers and we each carry with us personal knowledge and perspectives in life that hold a relative value of importance to various situations.

Why try and label others as "elders" and therefore more knowledgeable b/c they joined this site years before others.?

Obviously they are more knowledgeable about the "in's and out's" of this specific website but, should we label them as elders?

Ooohh, hold up....Leo is getting ready to orb in so he can save the charmed ones.

Sorry for the sarcasim but, anytime I hear the word "Elders" I cannot help but think of that show.

I personally do not like the idea of further separation and the false sense of superiority.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by MagesticEsoteric]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

Well, I can't say I don't see your point . Good post.

2WEIRD
I totally missed this one.

what if you been registered for two days? shouldn't you also then have some sort of special revered status? i demand it immediately

Shhh That's my next thread guy! Have a lil patience. Wait you're turn an
all will work out just fine............ Damn New schoolers!

[edit on 28-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
ATS became a news hub that got information faster than some(most) main stream news outlets. I havent watched a tv in years, but Im up on current events that most people don't hear about do to some celebrity scandal bullcrap. Some threads here contain alot of "raw data" unavailible elsewhere.

Agreed. In fact, that is, for me, the biggest draw. Sometimes the only draw. I say this because it often feels like my posts are... well, invisible to many long-standing members of this awesome community. Conversations often pass right over me-- rarely do I feel acknowledged. Please don't take offense, you "Elders." And please don't think I'm bitter (though I do sound whiny). Just stating facts and feelings- feelings which are wholly my own - No one else is responsible for them.

No biggy, I'm good with returning to lurker-mode.

oh, and LordBaskettIV, this isn't directed at you-- except for the first sentence!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Hey studette. I wonder did yoiu get my U2U?

[edit on 28-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think it's a fine idea, and I just joined today. I'm seen as an elder in many settings, but here it's suitable for the longtime ATS members to be the elders.

It would be nice if everyone treated each other as elders, but I'm realistic and half a loaf is better than none. At least some people will treat some other people that way.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Oh geez-marie, I just read it. Thanks for that. The universe works in mysterious waves, methinks.

(BTW, wasn't directed at you either, or anyone else for that matter. Just my experience here on ATS, is all.)

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I hereby call to order the Council of Elders.

I present the following matters that need our urgent attention:

1) The spelling around here blows.

2) The grammar is even worse.

3) Yes, I know English is their second language. So what? The grammar and spelling still blows. I have written this in terms that they can understand. Oh, what? English is their FIRST language? BAN them all for epic failure.

4) I vote to move the T&C to the front of every page. Except, attached to it shall be an abridged version of both Webster's and English 101.

5) One of you forgot to stock the ATS cooler with ATS Elder, the all-seeing, all-knowing ALE. You sorry, sorry pos.

6) And not only that, but you never paid your dues.
Springer is going to hear about this!

7) You have not been around enough. Show up more or we'll up your registration date to 2009.

8) Stop bitching every time SO wants to radically redesign the site. Instead of denying ignorance, you deny change.

9) I am a prime example of why there should be no Elder Council, and the idea doesn't make much sense.

Besides, us old geezers are around. You just have to write something that's alluring enough to propel my geezing old hands to suffer the excruciating repetition of typing you out the same answer which is buried somewhere in here 5,000 times already.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I could have missed one, but it looks like I'm the eldest of the elders so far lol lol.

This issue is about giving advice when asked for. I see nothing that states the youngens need to bow down to the elders. The majority of responses are negative because they would be excluded from wisdom exercises, or something lol lol.

For the most part I can see no changes as how the community would operate,but rather another avenue of communication added to what is here already.

With age comes wisdom no matter if it is working on cars, building houses, or handling information. Its just a matter of time.

Wisdom has nothing to do with intelligence or the ability to apply it, and is more like wine that waits its day to share its flavor with the world.

Its true wisdom does not come only by age, many people seem to have a special wisdom from birth, but on average the older a person gets shows the world he was at least wise enough to live so long. Maybe that is why it has always been "Elders" were shown respect. To survive here at ATS with all of its drama, high pressure information, is saying something very special.

randyvs, thanks for the thought, but if it is going to cause infighting, its not worth it.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Well, since you brought it up and you are a 2004 "Elder Member" (Don't let it go to your head) Can you do something about that?

I'm not perfect in my grammar but, I do know the difference between a noun, an adjective and an adverb.

I'm also not one to brag but, I also made it to the 2nd round of my Third grade Spelling Bee. Seriusly!

Get it??

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Man, I am looking forward to the day when I can be an "elder".

Will the benchmark date be moved sometime in the future? I missed the designation by almost a year. Could I become and "elder" a year from now?

Oh, boy! Can't wait! Meh, I guess I have to, though.

Although I am not "elderly", getting closer though, there's benefits from becoming more elderly. For me, I get to watch first run movies on weekdays in the afternoon for $3.50 at the local multiplex. That's cool for me, for sure! Just me and my popcorn watching the newest slasher film along with a couple slackers and we get to make noise and laugh and not bother anyone! Yay! Disclaimer: It's got to be during the school year or else it will be too crowded.

Like, if I become an Elder ATS member, when I go off topic, will I get a bargain deal, like a discount?

Your response was so far off topic that we have decided that you should have 500 points deducted........er, wait.......you're and Elder...........400 points deducted from your account.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
just remember, its not necessarally the content, ITS THE SPELLING.

With all due respect, we are from across the world. Maybe some of us have a little more difficulty than others writing. This subject inevitably comes up, and Elder or not, some of us will still have the problem.

If you write with an Italian accent, I welcome you with open arms also.

Get YOUR message through. You are just as important as the most proliphic writers here.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
just remember, its not necessarally the content, ITS THE SPELLING.

But what you seem to be forgetting is that spelling and grammar are part of the content. Good spelling and grammar do help to present content better than the contrary. Besides, what are you talking about dg? You spelled "necessarally" with all the professionalism of a studied scholar...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

We should encourage postings that reach further than America, Canada, Britain and Australia.
Diversity would be a great thing. I know other countries post but they have taken a beating here. So, they go and dont come back.

Heck, post in Chinese if you must!!!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Anybody here before Jan 2 2007 is just a sucup
You gotta know I am kidding....the 15 members that are before then are all now MODS lol....
such turnover,,, shameful .......lol

Eddit knot to fix spelling of sucup...lol

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Zeptepi]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zeptepi
You gotta know I am kidding....the 15 members that are before then are all now MODS lol....
such turnover,,, shameful .......lol

Eddit knot to fix spelling of sucup...lol

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Zeptepi]
With one exception, and dont rub it in.....

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

If you were a member of ATS in and previous to 2006. I declare you are an Elder.

Oh, God...Yet another reason why I feel like I'm older than dirt. It's bad enough that my nephew's music preferences are being broadcast on "oldies" radio.
I appreciate such a positive testimony, but gee whiz...

In case you wonder about my "qualifications" for Eldership, you need look no further than the first page of the Members list. I registered on these forums a mere one day after Simon Gray...The Creator & First Founder of the ATS website. I'm listed right there at "lucky" number 13. I've seen people that, to me, were new & gradually advancing up the "corporate ladder" of ATS: Yes, I remember when some of the Three Amigos first started posting & I've been in discussions with people who later became Mods too (quite a few of those). I've even been offered "Mod-ship" twice but turned it down both times.

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Simply because someone has been "registered" with ATS longer than someone else, does not mean that this person holds more knowledge about a topic than another.

This is why I'm a bit dubious about being thought of as an Elder...As quoted by the famous TV Actor, Will Rogers:

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

Also, Socrates was considered to be the wisest man in the world, because he realized that no one can really know anything, but in knowing this, he knew more than anybody else.

I think the true measure of an ATS Member's "wisdom" is evident in his/her contributions & quality of posts, not a matter of sheer longevity. Age may force a certain amount of wisdom on someone, whether or not he wants it is true to a point, but there are also those who really don't seem capable (or willing) to learn from experience. TBH, ATS Staff has always been one of the encouragements to contribute quality over quantity...It saves on bandwidth & data storage that way.

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
A lot of people would like to immediate blossom, learn and evolve their capabilities here on ATS but it takes time to create a Masterpiece, don’t be afraid of putting time in to learn and study the true wealth of information ATS really offers.

Yep. rome wasn't built in a day, even though Nero saw burn down in one day, even while he was fiddling with himself...

Originally posted by MemoryShock
...and I am sure that the best is still to come (they may not have registered yet...
)

That's for sure...I've seen some well-thought out posts on some pretty important topics being written by people who had "stalked" ATS for months or years before registering to post something.

Originally posted by rawiea
Whereas some, maybe even most, of you were born in the last Century, I was born in the Last Mellinnium.

Well, it's the same for me too...After all, this millenium isn't quite 10 years old yet.

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Majic

The flames were brought to you by the men in the lil white coats. Good humor.

Geez...It looks like it's time for me to dump my stocks in ice cream. I don't think there's much demand in the market after it's melted (& vaporized).

Originally posted by Majic

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
You mean that napkin with the BBQ sauce stains and barely comprehendable words written with a glitter pen?

So you have seen the Sacred Parchment, then?

No, that was the falsified copy for propaganda purposes. The original was written with a highlighter pen...Similar enough to a glitter pen to make the forgery more realistic to those who never saw the original. The really secret parts were written in lemon juice (an old trick for invisible ink).

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by Majic
So you have seen the Sacred Parchment, then?

Yes,
I used it as a drink coaster when I first arrived

Trust me dude........... wash your hands.

And check for poison in the cup...Ooops! Forgot to do that, did you? Well, judging from the time stamp on your post, I'd guess you still have 12 hours before your face turns blue, permanently. That particular poison has no other effect except to mark you as being "incautious."

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
That isn't special... They often learned to be wise because they have been there and done that, learned it the hard way, so to say.

Been there, done that & got the T-Shirt.

Vernon Law:
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Besides, us old geezers are around. You just have to write something that's alluring enough to propel my geezing old hands to suffer the excruciating repetition of typing you out the same answer which is buried somewhere in here 5,000 times already.

I use Wordpad to record the "one-post" URL of my most scintillating stuff...That way I can link to it instead of typing it all over from scratch so often.
I may have improved my writing skills somewhat over the years, but my typing skills are a whole 'nother story: If I try to go any faster than about 35 wpm (words per minute), I start measuring my typing speed in mpm (mistakes per minute).

Originally posted by dgtempe
If you write with an Italian accent, I welcome you with open arms also.

I'm American, so foreign accents are hard for me...S.O...I..T.Y.P.E..M.O.R.E..S.L.O.W.L.Y..&..S.H.O.U.T..I.N.S.T.E.A.D. (just like every other American does).

Originally posted by Zeptepi

No, we are not ALL Mods...See my second paragraph, above.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

No brother...that is why you are an E.L.D.E.R.

That was OUTSTANDING!!!

Cheers

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join