It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elders of ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
If you were a member of ATS in and previous to 2006. I declare you are an Elder.
I declare you have a more valued opinion of things.
ATS is a community. Like any community ATS has members that have been around the longest. With experience comes wisdom. Is this a wisdom we have going to waste here at ATS? I wonder if there is someway there can be a counsel
of elders so to speak. Where the younger members (by years involved, not by age) can get opinions on matters and ideas by,"The Elders"?

The Elders of ATS. I think it has a nice ring to it. At any rate make yourselves known. Please. I have great interest. 2006 and before.

Or if you like /hate the idea. SPEAK!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Sorry Randy, but I think the [criteria] for the idea misses the boat and this is why:

Simply because someone has been "registered" with ATS longer than someone else, does not mean that this person holds more knowledge about a topic than another. There could be endless examples of those who've researched many things that we discuss here, but have only recently found or decided to join the community.

I think that going strictly by date, discounts a lot of valuable knowledge and contribution that many others are able to provide. I just don't think this is feasable based on the date criterian, alone. Contribution should count for more than registration date.

ed: to add that I think it's a cool idea to encourage longtime members to continue posting and contributing to the forum. It is nice to see longterm members still active.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Agreed.

Although it's difficult to even go at it when Contributions as well.

Me for example; I'm one of the most contributing members on ATS since I joined, but they are mostly news stories from BAN among other things.

That doesn't mean I know squat about actual topics that people would be interested in. I suppose I'm well versed in ATS as far as T&C, posting styles, effective posting etc..

We all know how some ATS members can be difficult....

I kinda like the idea, but it would be difficult to implement. You'd get people screaming favortism and what not..

~Keeper

[edit on 7/27/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Simply because someone has been "registered" with ATS longer than someone else, does not mean that this person holds more knowledge about a topic than another.

I agree, so what about a list of ATS FSME's that can be accessed easily?

Surely that would be a by far more helpful tool, especially for newer members looking for information on any one topic, than going on date of membership alone.

Sorry, I don’t mean to hijack the thread or anything but this would just seem like a much easier and more helpful tool for all members IMO.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The phenomenon you want to happen, I believe, already happens and is encouraged in myriad threads. Plus, it happens organically in any thread and I often see more experienced members offering hints, advice, warnings to newer folks.

I also agree with LadySkadi that duration of membership is an ineffective measurement of ATS-experience, or any experience for that matter.

There are members who have been registered for less than a year who have far, far more posts, threads, stars, whatever than many old members.

Also, there are new members that are older in real life (and therefore, one would assume, more experienced in real life).

It's an admirable thought, but there's really nothing that comes with longevity on ATS unless a member has really taken advantage of his or her time. And for those that do, they are likely just as valuable/experienced as many long-termers (who may have moved on, never participated much, or it just may be their nature to take a back seat and observe).

CX

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Cheers mate.....another way for me to feel old!

Well although i fit into the "before 2006" bracket, i don't think that time spent equates to a more valued opinion.

Whilst i am can offer guidance to another member regarding older threads, or maybe how things are done around here, when it comes to authoring threads and the content i provide in my posts, i'm afraid my age does not always mean much IMO.

I know members that have been here a few months that make far better threads than me, and can contribute far better knowledge than i can. That goes for members half my age too.

I don't think this experience goes to watse in "the elders", it's nice to see longer serving members helping the site as much as they are able.

CX.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm afraid here on ATS we like to believe that we're all equal. (Although some are more equal than others... Just kidding.
) Yes, some members have badges, but that’s just to indicate that they are here to help with the admin chores. They don’t necessarily know more (or less) than the next guy. And they have shown their ability to help others. But they are all members and all equal under the Terms and Conditions.

We all have something to learn from someone else. I can assure you that there are members here that registered yesterday that have some pieces of information YOU didn't know, I didn't know, SkepticOverlord didn't know, Springer didn’t know or any other person here didn't know.

That's why we're here after all. (Well at least that's why I'm here.) To learn from others, and if the opportunity arise let us share some of the information we have with others.

And yes I learn something new every day. From new members and from members that are considered furniture around here. And that is why I keep coming back for more.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Like all forbearers the Elders of ATS some of which are no longer here with us today have left infinite wisdom and knowledge in the form of threads.

The influx of new members has led to a large amount of Alternative Breaking News Stories, and YouTube Video offerings, as they are often the easiest to throw into and put up a thread with and require the least amount of research on a subject.

Yet as you go through the pages and pages, and pages of the different forums you will discover many brilliant and original conspiracy threads, theories, and collaborative efforts that truly are a joy to read.

I agree with Lady Skadi that time on ATS does not denote anything of exception, exceptional content though given to ATS does.

There is a certain learning curve here on the site and many of today’s newest members will in time develop into great writers, researchers, conspiracy theorists, skeptics and story tellers, if they have that desire and aptitude.

For those who really want to learn those fine and particular arts, there our thousands upon thousands of threads from yesterday to the site’s founding to study and learn from.

A lot of people would like to immediate blossom, learn and evolve their capabilities here on ATS but it takes time to create a Masterpiece, don’t be afraid of putting time in to learn and study the true wealth of information ATS really offers.

Thanks, and good luck!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

If you were a member of ATS in and previous to 2006. I declare you are an Elder.
I declare you have a more valued opinion of things.

SPEAK:

Time as a registered member here does NOT dictate the value of contributions and unfortunately wisdom isn't something that some gather over time, they just think they do.

I feel slightly insulted at missing your "Elder" date and being (in your eyes), less valued in my opinion of things.

pffft!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Simply because someone has been "registered" with ATS longer than someone else, does not mean that this person holds more knowledge about a topic than another. There could be endless examples of those who've researched many things that we discuss here, but have only recently found or decided to join the community

So you don't think that there is an untapped wisdom there at all?
I'm, only suggesting there is a resource here that could add a bit more
color, if you will, to the intelligence of ATS. I don't see how that would take anything away.

link   
The only thing that older members may have on newer ones is the evolution of the site. Policy, layout, etc. That's as far as it goes imo. Every member has something to offer.

link   
No, no ones opinion here on ATS is more or less valuable than any one elses... This idea goes so far against what ATS represents....

Just because a person joined today does not mean we should ignore them....The saying with age comes wisdom is inaccurate. A more appropriate saying would be, with experience and knowledge comes wisdom

Trust me, I have met some really wise 10 year olds and some really ignorant 90 year olds...

We are not here to divide people into groups at all... All peoples opinions are welcome and honored, regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or even when they joined this site....

That is my humble opinion anyway.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I dont think date has a bearing on how wise or how much of a valued contribution a member provides to the ATS boards. There are many new members every day and some of those people turn out to be exceptional at uncovering conspiracies and providing the community with weel thought out and interesting threads

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Sorry, I don’t mean to hijack the thread or anything but this would just seem like a much easier and more helpful tool for all members IMO.
reply to post by Rising Against

Please, Hijack at gunpoint if you have a better idea. Maybe the ball is rolling toward something. Rigfht?

[edit on 27-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I declare you have a more valued opinion of things

I agree with the concept.

I disagree the statement quoted.

There are some old people in this world that never made it past ignorant.

*snip*

[edit on 27-7-2010 by zroth]

(removed superfluous example)
Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory

[edit on Sun Aug 1 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

So you don't think that there is an untapped wisdom there at all?
I'm, only suggesting there is a resource here that could add a bit more
color, if you will, to the intelligence of ATS. I don't see how that would take anything away.

I do think that encouraging longterm members to continue to be active and participate is a great idea. If there is an untapped wisdom, it would manifest in the posts and threads these members continue to work on and share with the community...

[edit on 27-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

There are some old people in this world that never made it past ignorant
reply to post by zroth

Point taken. That would hopefully be watered down somehow.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Exterminate the elders and make way for the new generation!

A new age of links and one line posts!

Check this out!

(link here)

What do you think?

----------------------------------

wow dude, that was a cool page.

--------------------------------------

No more boring well written long posts by the elders!

From now on ATS should require all posts to be under 100 characters and when possible link to other sites.

Welcome to what is next!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I do think that encouraging longterm members to continue to be active and participate is a great idea. If there is an untapped wisdom, it would manifest in the posts and threads these members continue to work on and share with the community...

Well if this thread accomplishes even part of that, it's not a wash huh
Skadi?
Respectfully

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
what if you been registered for two days? shouldn't you also then have some sort of special revered status? i demand it immediately.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join