It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elders of ATS

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I lurked for a long time before joining too.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Xayden

I agree with the others that "Elders" in turn sounds cool, but the reasons just do not fit. Take myself for example, I read ATS everyday, but I rarely chime in at all. I honestly never checked what my post count is, I think it is only around 100 or so...

See that makes it honor to have you post here then. Thank you sir.

Mainer

I lurked for a long time before joining too.

Ya hey Mainer what ever you do , Don't get excited ok? God forbid you
over do it or something.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I joined this website in 2007 and largely speaking, I know that I am capable of making useful contributions to the odd thread here and there. However I myself am not as useful to the membership as a font of ideas and understanding, as I hope to one day be.
That said and accepted, I would hope that if a truely inspiring individual came upon this site and joined, with the intention of spreading thier wisdoms, and opinions , that thier apparant infancy as a poster and contributor would not count against them. I for one HATE the cliquey nature of communities . It is a mark against society that expirience is counted more important than outright raw intelligence. In wider society it is reliance on past expirience that has prevented the total removal of fossil fuel from our lives, and stood in the way of the solar revolution in Britain.
My thoughts on this , I suppose , can be boiled down to this. An old forest lacking new growth can die off quite easily , but a fresh sapling bends in the wind, is too damp to burn easily, is not tall enough to be hit by lightning, and shows the promise of the future. In the rings of ancient trees,all that may be found is every mistake of the past. Lets be sure the future can flourish, by ensuring saplings never have to starve in the shadows of giants.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Well old timers, answer this if you will,.
Does it seem as if the new 2010 members seem to be posting blindly with out doing a search of their topic?
Or has this always been the case?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Drummer
Alas my friend, we have no counsel for such a question.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Then you have me, who's been around.. well, registered for 4 years, and I've contributed absolutely nothing to the site.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ecidemon

Wrong.

If all you do is lurk and read, you contribute. If you register, that's +1, if you post, +2.

Over 350 posts. That, my friend, is contribution.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Ya whats up with that,..
sheeesh
Oh well.Maybe the elders are napping

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Hey Randyvs,

I like the way you think. You seem to be a person that is respectful. If you carry that forward through life, success is all yours.

I'm not sure we "Elders" are sharper than the newer folks. I've seen some pretty intelligent and original posts from many of the younger posters.

Take care,

Becker

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
No, no ones opinion here on ATS is more or less valuable than any one elses...

Except for mine of course.

Seriously though...you are right. We all have things to offer here and being here for many years doesn't necessarily add anything. We are all important pieces of this machine.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

I like the way you think.

I do put a lot on respect. In the old school way.
Thank you Becker and
Be well

Seriously though...you are right. We all have things to offer here and being here for many years doesn't necessarily add anything. We are all important pieces of this machine.

Absolutely, For the record no one is denying that. No one is taking anything away from that. So the next person to exclaim that it takes
every drop of water to make an ocean. Or it takes every card to make a full deck or I'm gonna pinch off your catheter. ..............sssssshhhhhhheeesshh face melts in hands.

I'm kidding of course.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth.

There are some old people in this world that never made it past ignorant.

ignorant is a synonym for innocence.
denying is a synonym for ignore (ignorance).

so when one is attempting to deny ignorance they are attempting to ignore innocence.

why not accept innocence? babies are innocent. not accepting babies may be ignorant.

deny ignorance?

people are too ignorant to know how, sometimes.

ah, but who am i & what do i know?
-et

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

ah, but who am i & what do i know?

I thought you were do'in fine. Had my attention.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Well old timers, answer this if you will,.
Does it seem as if the new 2010 members seem to be posting blindly with out doing a search of their topic?
Or has this always been the case?

if it is true that new 2010 members seem to be posting like this, it has not always been the case. odds are it has only been like this in the past 8 months.

but, yes. it seems there are many more threads with short topics, cut and pasted from other sources, and far shorter opening posts than what i remember seeing in my first 2 years on ATS.

and, if when members joined was not important, then why spend any server space whatsoever in having it available on our avatars?

pleasentries,
et

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Cool I'm an elder.

I've actually had an account since 2004. However, I can't remember my password to my old account and the email that I used to create it (a cableone.net email) has been deleted, since I no longer have that account. It sucks, I've tried every password I can think of that I might have possibly used, but hell if I can remember.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by State of Mind

Hi if you go to this link, you can find your old account back.

Link.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by LadySkadi

So you don't think that there is an untapped wisdom there at all?
I'm, only suggesting there is a resource here that could add a bit more
color, if you will, to the intelligence of ATS. I don't see how that would take anything away.

I do think that encouraging longterm members to continue to be active and participate is a great idea. If there is an untapped wisdom, it would manifest in the posts and threads these members continue to work on and share with the community...

[edit on 27-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

Putting my vote in as one who agrees longterm members including myself could use some encouraging words to participate more.

Ex

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I know nothing, and the more I learn ,
I realize the less I know
for a very long time
I have been spreading the knowledge of this!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

That wouldn't work since I forgot my password and in order to reset it, I have to have access to my old email account which was a cableone.net account that I no longer have.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
People still post wildly and blindly rushing to be the first to post something exciting, some still take their time and post the good quality stuff, others offer interesting discussions and view points, and you still get the trolls unfortunately. The membership base is much much much broader than when I joined which at times makes it more pleasurable and more frustrating in equal turns. Guess this is the inevitability of a board becoming more popular.

Don`t think my opinion is worth any more than those people who just read and don`t even post or those who joined yesterday. Being here for so long does give you perspective on where a thread may be going, who is trolling and flaming you and most importantly when to step away.

Don`t think I like the term Elders at all, for anyone, anywhere, in any situation in the world it has that implication of assumed superiority that so often gets the human race into trouble.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join