It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elders of ATS

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Hilarious!!!!!! My real kid's on ATS now
Talk about feeling elder

[edit on 7/28/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I find your post most encouraging great one. The perfect mixture of madness and wisdom is one every leader should bare.

Click the blue lettering

Benevelent

Man, this thread sure brought some of the old... er, uh... I mean "elder"ly members out of the woodwork.

Ya! And ya know that wasn't my intention at all. Randyvious

[edit on 28-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The Elders of ATS does have a nice ring to it although I fail to see how useful this title would be. If you were looking for the wisdom of how the site operates your criteria would not necessarily guarantee this and if looking for wisdom of knowledge it wouldn't either, as mentioned a number of times already. If a newly discovered phenomenon is the topic at hand, surely an "elder" member will be of no more wisdom than the "toddler" member as there is no wisdom for the topic at hand.

Using your proposed criteria I would be an elder, of sorts, as I may hold the title for the longest lurker. Actually, I'll give myself the title of an ATS Elder-Lurker.

If the registered date is the only criteria then that information is already available and I sometimes even refer to it, although as stated above it doesn't hold any true value in and of itself.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The main difference between new and old members is that an older member is usually harder to bait during an argument. Usually due to some verbal butt stomping early in their membership. It's also funny to see old members make new accounts to "re-brand" themselves. Dealing with the death of longtime members over the internet is also a odd thing, it makes all those faceless conversations more real.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Do the tribe elders get to vote people off the island in order to win all the money?

Nah the elders thing will not work on a site like ATS, anything that might encourage people from disregarding another members post for any reason should definitely not be encouraged, which is something I learned in a thread I made, which wasn’t aimed at that, but would have been the end result of something that I proposed a while back. All users’ posts should be welcomed and considered as long as they do not purposely derail or detract from a thread.

If you feel someone has added great insight to a thread be it a longtime member or someone new, just make sure you either send them a U2U and thank them, recognize the post in your thread, etc. Just because someone might have insight on a particular topic in a forum does not make them an overall subject matter in the entire forum, though it is always good to recognize good insight from members posting in your threads.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
All I can say is WoW Just WoW!
Man I bet you've seen a lotta chit!

I wonder sometimes what I would get if I "cashed in my chits" all at once...I hope it would be, to take a phrase from the movie, 2001 A Space Oddysey, "something wonderful."

Nah, I'll wait a while for that. I might still be able to build up my "chit-pile" for another 2-3 decades yet.

That's right...ATS can't get rid of the THAT easily! I'm ready to kick @$$ & take wallets! Once I get wallets, names are the least of what I can take! I can get more chits!

Man, this thread sure brought some of the old... er, uh... I mean "elder"ly members out of the woodwork.

Ya! And ya know that wasn't my intention at all. Randyvious

Ah, ya' can't lie to us...Recall, within your original post:

The Elders of ATS. I think it has a nice ring to it. At any rate make yourselves known. Please. I have great interest. 2006 and before.

My mind is still like a steel trap (admittedly, a little rusted around the hinges) & my memory is as good as...well, at least as good as the computer memory that recorded your words...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

In another way this thread brings out another situation in society, and I believe it is more or less relevant to most societies on earth, "Elder Respect", and the lack of.

There has been a steady and relentless war to destroy the good parts of society. Nothing has been overlooked in this war against humanity, and the young and old were pitted against each other just as all the other institutions have been.

This is not to take away anything from the young or make you feel inadequate. It in the long run is to strengthen and guide you from the pitfalls life will throw at you. Sure you don't need any help and you can do it on your own, for a time. But when the time comes, and it will, that you need guidance or support, who will you turn to? A little respect now will go a long way.

I'm 50 something, and I still cut the neighbor lady's grass when I can. Sure she can do it her self, she even manages with only one leg, and at 87 years old she puts most of us to shame. But I still come a running when she calls, why? Because I respect my elders! They are a wealth this nation, this world, could never do without.

Or, you can act like little greedy drama queen, cannibalistic animals as the media has covertly tricked you into becoming, your choice. (note: not all the young act this way, it depends on how you were raised, were you taught respect)

Now, back to the grind, and the cave.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Elders of ATS?

Meh.

That'll be the day some young whippersnapper kicking around these forums for a few years will get respect just because of haunting these hallowed halls.

Hee hee. It's being around the block in REAL LIFE that matters. If you're under 25, I'd bet you still run to mommy or daddy when buying a car, let alone a house.

Sure, you joined ATS when you were 16, and now, 5 years later, you know how to make kewl avatars, properly quote the post above, be nice to the mods for applauds and all that other good stuff.

But do you know what to do when the plumbing craps out?

Didn't think so.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

Nice post, All Seeing Eye...I too am glad to see some my ATS Elders still around and grinding away...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by There Once Was Man

You have a good point that I wanted to make. A true Elder needs to have a combination of real life wisdom also. Being old and on ATS at the same time has admittedly given myself a totally different perspective than when I first came here.

I used to have a finely tuned BS meter, I inherited it and learned it from my father. Now it is even better.

ATS has taught me a great lesson. One I knew before but after over five years of being bombarded with conspiracy.

"Let it all slide, because life is just a ride."

Jesus once said: "If someone takes your shirt, give him your cloak also"

All these conspiracies and evil deeds from the elite and powerful....they will self implode no need to seat it.

Edit: one thing about being on ATS too long is that I have still not learned how not to do typo's.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
HEY! You dang kids get off my lawn!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by There Once Was Man

But do you know what to do when the plumbing craps out?

Sure they do, "Mommy I need $500.00 for the plumber."

I don't know the exact cost, never called a plumber myself.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I am very, very happy to see the screen names this thread brought out/back into the fray.

Nice to see you, "elders"!

Springer...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

HEY! You dang kids get off my lawn!

lmao
To much.

Springer

I love it when a plan comes together.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
[edit on 29 Jul 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

well i thought i would just make you an avatar...if you like it please use it by all means.

and i do like cookies.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I agree... I actually started a thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
HOT, TOP... New AI for **EDITORS PICKS***

...not to long ago to try to promote the threads that senior members deem important.

I think it would be great to have advanced search feature that allowed you to search for the top threads by "Gold Content Contributors" or "minimum 50% flag contribution level AND Scholar" or top threads "as flagged by Writers" etc.

I really don't think it would be that hard to code and it would create more interactive content that would keep people at the site for longer and searching further back in time in order to bring dead, but important threads back to the limelight.

take a look,

Sri Oracle

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Damn I'm sorry I missed your thread. You know what they say about great minds though huh! Thank you for letting me know I'm not out there all alone.
I will post

[edit on 29-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Wow,like Springer said, It is great to see all the old faces poping up in this thread.

I agree with the others that "Elders" in turn sounds cool, but the reasons just do not fit. Take myself for example, I read ATS everyday, but I rarely chime in at all. I honestly never checked what my post count is, I think it is only around 100 or so...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xayden
I honestly never checked what my post count is, I think it is only around 100 or so...

Hell, you've got 2836 Negative BTS points... do you go around telling bad jokes?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join