It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheists Nightmare

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by No King but Jesus

What's in page 26? I'm just curious of what you posted. Please tell me gringo!
second line.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
Atheists don't usually believe in an afterlife, so there's no point in worrying about "Judgement day".

What you're trying to do, like Christianity often does, is to appeal to us through fear. Well, we aren't going to have any of that.

Agreed, and all you need to know about religion can
be summed up pretty well by nonstampcollector:

That pretty much sums it up for me.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sunaurora

Hello, this is my very first post. My name is Michelle and I am waking up. Thank you for all the warm welcomes. So this post caught my eye and I wanted to share with you something a wise person told me. I would rather believe in Jesus and find out there wasn't any than believe in nothing and find myself standing before the thrown of Jesus. Hope this makes sense. :::waves:::

Michelle I thank you for the honor of hosting your first post.
May you continue to be so bold here on this site.

Pretty rough thread for your first.
God love ya .
You know I understand that we are saying the same thing . Star for you.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

it's mi testimony ese

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

Welcome to ATS, love.
Welcome to ATS, love.
Whereas I appreciate and respect your point of view, that kind of reasoning is dangerous because many people who share that exact same ideal are ultimately disingenuous and lying to themselves.
It's like the old condom adage...it's better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one.
It works for condoms, not so much, however, for religion

A brilliant analogy.
How many times a day do prophalactics come to mind for you .
I wonder.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by No King but Jesus

Then I would have to check it out gringo.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Are you people just not into self preservation or what?
I can certainly imagine myself, after death, resting
peacefully in my grave, with nothing to ever come and
bother me. Even after a lifetime of belief in God.

The thing I can't imagine and am glad I will never have to...
Would be if I was suddenly awakened from that eternal sleep,
by the deafing sound of trumpets blaring loud enough to wake the dead.
Then as an Angel is rushing by my comfortable grave, he pauses and points
the way to Judgement day.
This after a long life denying God because I was duped by a fad. Atheism.
The fool says," there is no God" then comes death. then judgement.

The thing I find so ironic about Atheism, is that it is also is a part of prophecy.
You literally are predicted as a great falling away.
If it weren't for Atheism the Bible might be in error.
God fortold of the day when arrogant men would scough at
God fearing people.
So what all can you tell me?
Maybe death dosn't exist either?

One thing that can't be argued, we are all intelligent enough that we should have
it sorted out by the time we do sleep. So start off with the truth that everyone knows ( There is only one truth) and check yourself, before you wreck yourself.
Your life is literally in your hands.

I am an atheist -- and I believe we survive death. I believe our spirits are eternal and live on, incarnation after incarnation. I don't need to believe in a god to hold to those beliefs. In fact, there is no reason for anyone to believe there is a single, "all powerful", "all knowing" , etc. being who created everything other than fear. I believe WE, individually, are gods and have such creative power. Why not?

You say those who are athiests are arrogant. What is more arrogant than religious dogma? Christians and Muslims, for example, KNOW that they are the only enlightened ones on the planet and want to make sure that the rest of us are similarly enlightened. They do this by using the natural fear of the unknown against us. In short, humanity is manipulated by fear. I don't know of any athiests that do that in order to convert someone to their belief system.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

A brilliant analogy.
How many times a day do prophalactics come to mind for you .
I wonder.

What difference does that make?
Now who's off topic?
You "wonder"?
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
If you're trying to take a shot at me, you failed...epically...again.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I think I might have found the New Testament Believers' Nightmare. Matthew 5 for me is a chapter that starts out as one of the most promising passages but turns very sour in the middle.

The following are extracts of Bible passages from Matthew 5. They are quoted directly from biblegateway.com, New International version. Please take the time to read through these passages and reflect over the mixed messages they send.

Matthew 5 - Passage Lookup (NIV)

Matthew 5
The Beatitudes
1Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2and he began to teach them saying:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Contrast the inspirational from above with the pessimistic below:

Murder
21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother(b)will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,[c]' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.
[...]
Adultery
27"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.'[e] 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
Divorce
31"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.'[f] 32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.
Oaths
33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

[edit on 10/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

You say those who are athiests are arrogant. What is more arrogant than religious dogma? Christians and Muslims, for example, KNOW that they are the only enlightened ones on the planet and want to make sure that the rest of us are similarly enlightened. They do this by using the natural fear of the unknown against us. In short, humanity is manipulated by fear. I don't know of any athiests that do that in order to convert someone to their belief system.
reply to post by Visiting ESB

What is more arrogant than religious dogma? Um G, oh I know! An
Atheist claiming he is God.

Thank you, You are right on time.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

reply to post by PieKeeper

Come-on now! A person of your ability in discernment can absolutly see that I'm appealing to common sense. Do you know what happens after we die? See the truth is the truth. There is only one truth. You must be pretty sure of yourself to be an Atheist. So what happens after we die?

[edit on 3-7-2010 by randyvs]

The difference between you and an atheist is that an atheist wouldn't make up an explanation just because an answer isn't readily available. "Common sense" dictates that a theory shouldn't be relied upon if it isn't supported by the evidence sufficient to form a hypothesis.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

The only person claiming to know god is you Randy. No atheist is here claiming to be a god, nor know if one exists. My question for you though, is why do you care so much? Atheists really seem to grind your gears. Is it that we tend to sometimes be outspoken? I guess it can't be that, right, I mean, you can't complain about atheists being in a thread that you created. Is it that you doubt something, and you need to project it unto a group of others in order to vilify them?

I smell a crisis of faith.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

I believe WE, individually, are gods

Incorrect again wolfie.

I think I might have found the New Testament Believers' Nightmare. Matthew 5 for me is a chapter that starts out as one of the most promising passages but turns very sour in the middle.

That's odd never seen that before. Can you find anymore of those Ghost?

[edit on 10-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Incorrect only for the first time. I do stand corrected though, and I do say that saying that we are gods is a rather foolish thing to say. Though it depends on what you define as a god, I suppose. People worship actors, authors, artists and athletes like gods. Some have killed in their gods names, or at least attempted to (It's all for you, Jodie Foster!) Some have even killed their own gods (May you rest in Strawberry Fields Forever, John Lennon.) I guess it really depends on what your definition of a god is.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

I realise what you are saying and I do agree. People worship some odd things. And it seems it's always been that way.

So hey what do you think about what seems to be an obvious need in man to worship something? I hope you know what I'm trying to say. It may be vague.

Obviously this seems to be lacking in a lot of people. Overall though do you see a general need in humanity, that says, find something to worship and have rituals for. A reason to dance naked in the moon lite W/E.

Also I see the impossiible stone monuments of the past as proof that long ago something beyond extraordinary was going on on this planet.

Human beings just didn't one day say to themselves. Hey you know what? I think we should all worship God or Gods. Then down the road
decide to go to war and enslave a bunch of other people. Or even just embark on these impossible tasks themselves. Not without some solid reasons for it.
There was something going on, just by the impossible things we see. Not only accompolished, but it seems it must have been easy for them.
By volume.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well I don't know if it's necessarily true that we are hard wired to worship something, seems more like a conditional response. The earliest gods were things that were used to try to explain nature. It makes sense that if you believe Zeus launches lightning bolts from the sky that you would worship and pray to him to stop. You don't see a huge desire in humanity to worship things. You do see people do so, but a lot of that has to do with coveting. A desire to obtain something, even in religion.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

Well I don't know if it's necessarily true that we are hard wired to worship something,

Definetly a better choice for words.
That's the exact answer you're supposed to give.
If you fit in to the," need that is lacking" group.
IE You lack the need to worship something possibly explaining the Atheist
motive. I don't know....

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I don;t have any nightmare like the one you described. I have no fear of dying and being stood up before god and being told Im screwed cuz I didn't believe.

The only reason to fear death is the fear of a horrible painful death, or one that puts extraordinary burden on your loved ones.

Please don't try and speculate about the motivations of Atheists. You don;t know, you couldn't know, because not every atheist believes the same thing, or believes them for the same reason. you don't wanna be stereotyped as a foaming at the mouth bible thumper, and I dont wanna be lumped in with militant atheists.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

Please don't try and speculate about the motivations of Atheists. You don;t know, you couldn't know, because not every atheist believes the same thing, or believes them for the same reason. you don't wanna be stereotyped as a foaming at the mouth bible thumper, and I dont wanna be lumped in with militant atheists.

All right nobody said you can't have it your way.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

I disagree.

But you are wrong. I guess that would be why there is no discussion to be had.

The bible is rife with error, do you need an example?

All you have done is pretend people are not pointing them out to you. You ignore any real error brought to you, bible error or not.

This has nothing to do with anything.
As I said earlier in the thread that last line was more direct at a very limited few. None of them being you.

So I am not allowed to address things you said in the OP because they were secretly aimed at others? You are looking for a private chat room then, not a public forum.

I'll jump through even though it should be obvious.

Holding no belief in a diety or dietys .

Well, you can say it. You just do not understand it. Your posts make that clear but at least you can say it.

Be back later.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by randyvs]

No to me you won't. I did not try to follow you into some pointless argument where you can lie, twist, and distort in the name of Jesus. I actually read the OP and asked questions of it. You are not the least bit interested in the topic of your own thread. Go back to wasting the time of the sheep then, I thought you might have something to say about your OP.

Sadly you seem to have nothing to say about anything. Enjoy sleeping in bliss until those trumpets.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join