It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheists Nightmare

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by No King but Jesus
reply to post by hippomchippo

I am just asking you some questions the facts I shown are very fascinating to me, I already know the scripts are inspired I do not need a confirmation from anyone, go back a page look at top see my testimony before I had even begun to read any scripts but then find that very thing written

so if in Clarkes writings you know of no pyramid thing ok-I had just seen one of his book covers or pages? that showed pyramid stuff while looking at some sights with photo's of Mars man face and a few places showed a pyramid on forehead -just a question for my own knowing

The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."-Gal5.14

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.-John15.18

Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.-John3.15

But whoever fails to find me harms himself; all who hate me love death.-Prov8.36

You're using an appeal to authority, or some twisted version of that.
I'm not a christian and bible verses aren't going to change me, sorry.
Christianity might have some good laws to abide by, but that doesn't make it divinely inspired.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

thought they were just men's writings? are you writing?

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by No King but Jesus

thought they were just men's writings? are you writing?

They are just mens writing, and no i'm not writing, I'm typing

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
reply to post by K J Gunderson

It's just a word game cop out. Address reality, don't make excuses.

Right.
Don't mince words.
The reality is, is that atheist, religious, spiritual, agnostic or totally devoid...the reality is that no one knows for sure.
Believing is not the same as knowing.

If you are neither theistic nor agnostic. Only one logical option remains: You deny God exists. At least be honest about your position and stop playing silly word games.

It's really not that easy.
A lot of it really depends on what you view as "god", now doesn't it?
Some of you view him/her/it/whatev as some person, or person-like entity.
There are those who view the "god" concept as exactly that...a concept.
A collection of ideas and memories and the sum total of all the experiences and emotions and ideas that all come together somewhere at the heart of the universe.
Like "god" is a collection of everything that has ever existed...every everything...converted into data and siphoned to somewhere in the heart of this universe...that learns and grows and experiences as we learn and grow and experience.
It's as though the concept of "god" is what we make of it...what we create...it's an extension of ourselves...
Because, when you strip it all away...one truth remains...
The human will is absolute.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

I don't believe there was moderator prejudice there. Take it easy, topics like this always incite an emotional response. No problem here. I believe one of my good friends summed up the situation here pretty well. This is from Protoplasmic Traveler.

While there is some great esoteric wisdom in the Bible, the reality is it goes on to interpret more or less in vague ways how to use it. One of the things I have tried to display in a round about way, through the quotes of wise philosophers in some of my other posts, is that wisdom in fact stands alone. It doesn’t really need a vague interpretation of it, or vague and conflicting ways to employ or deploy it, it speaks for itself. One of the other things that I am hoping some people might better realize that when people start quoting scripture from the bible, invariably along with their interpretation of it, they are in fact trying to evoke and invoke the authority of God for them selves.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is also a mind set that goes along with sticking to what one believes. It has to do with repeating the same thing. The more times you repeat it the more you believe it. Fundamentalist Christians are infamous for this. They are as close to a machine that one can get without applying actual robotics and electronics.

Not to say they are all bad, but I've witnessed this phenomenon first hand. Even when presented with logical and convincing evidence, they hold steadfast and will not even consider what someone else is offering because they believe it is a sin. They fail to consider that God has given them a mind to consider things and search out a matter.

I'm not focusing on one particular poster here, but merely interjecting an observation.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by No King but Jesus

I'm not Jewish, though I have no beef with them whatsoever. The old testament doesn't apply to me.

Mathew, on the other hand, resonates, even though I am not a practicing "Christian" (I don't worship images or idols, I just make a reasonable attempt to act more "Christ-like".) What else can you do with the faith of a mustard seed, but try and move mountains?

[edit on 9-7-2010 by 0zzymand0s]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

cool I hear ye-

Even that question came up only because of some so-called Christians there—false ones, really—who were secretly brought in. They sneaked in to spy on us and take away the freedom we have in Christ Jesus. They wanted to enslave us and force us to follow their Jewish regulations.-Gal2.4(NLT)

One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone.-Rom14.5

For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil.
The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners.-Matt11.18

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.-2Cor3.17

[edit on 9/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by No King but Jesus

Is it at all possible to reply in threads like these with your own original words, instead of quoting scripture?
You can't, in good conscience, quote a 2000+ year old book as though it's words are totally apt for any current conversation.
You can refer to it, you can use it as a guideline for your reply, you can even use excerpts when the context of the conversations warrants it...but you can and should not just continuously quote it when it has little to no bearing on our current world.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Yes I can.

I have seen a ghost, I have never seen China.

You can take a plane to China and see China with your own eyes. Is there some place you can take me to see a ghost?

Didn't think so. Now keep your hallucinations to yourself 'mmkay?

[edit on 9-7-2010 by NegativeBeef]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Koran
Koran
- Buddhist Suttas and Sutras
- Rig-Vega for Hindus
- Word-of-mouth stories by the bushmen in Papua New Guinea

The Homeric Hymns
The Homeric Hymns
The Kitáb-i-Aqdas
Dianetics
Tao Ti Zing
Divine Principle
the Nihon Shoki
the Satanic Bible
And probably the most important one, The Harry Potter saga.

Not even a nice try. A nice try dosn't even exist. I'm sure you know that.

The Satanic Bible
Why because it's big?

Funny !Most of these are exactly what I had in mind. When I asked.

Jack

I don't believe there was moderator prejudice there. Take it easy, topics like this always incite an emotional response. No problem here. I believe one of my good friends summed up the situation here pretty well. This is from Protoplasmic Traveler.

Jack what up no response ?
Sounds like proto plasmic has me down . I relate to what you have down there anyway. Is some one crying prejudice when I have 2 decorums to my credit in this thead. While not having one for nine months before that?
AWE...

[edit on 9-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

So what gives the bible more legitimacy than the other scriptures? All of them claim to be the "only truth", when in reality, none of them has more "proof" than the other.

If you were born in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia), you would be Muslim and laugh at people saying the bible is just as great as the Koran.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

If you were born in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia), you would be Muslim and laugh at people saying the bible is just as great as the Koran.

That's just not realistic. Pick them both up. Look at them. They don't compare . Please be realistic. Avoid the sarcasm and put downs so I can take you seriously. We can discuss anything you want. Just maintain the standard in your last post and we're cool. Everyone was so eager to get off on the wrong foot in this thread. Hey I take what credit is do to me for that, But no more than that.

He He hangs the Earth on nothing .Job 26:7

Things which are seen, are not made up of things that do appear. Heb 11:3 Molecular structure.

Ship builders of today agree, God gives perfect dimensions for ship building in Genesis. Gen 6:15.

Your body and clothes should be washed under running water when dealing with deseases. Lev 15:13

God commanded his people to separate themselves from their excrement. Duet:23 :12-13

Mountains on the ocean floor.Jonah 2 :5-6

A long time before science understood the function of blood the Bible declared, "The life
of all flesh is in the blood". Lev 17:11-14

Our bodies are made from the dust of the ground (Genesis 2:7; 3:19). Scientists have discovered that the human body is comprised of some 28 base and trace elements – all of which are found in the earth
Scripture assumes a revolving (spherical) earth (Luke 17:34-36). Jesus said that at His return some would be asleep at night while others would be working at day time activities in the field. This is a clear indication of a revolving earth, with day and night occurring simultaneously
Reproduction explained (Genesis 1:27-28; 2:24; Mark 10:6-8). While evolution has no mechanism to explain how male and female reproductive organs evolved at the same time, the Bible says that from the beginning God made them male and female in order to propagate the human race and animal kinds.
Eternal productions
hangs the Earth on nothing .Job 26:7

You won't find this stuff in the Koran

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Of course not all scriptures are the same...but they were all written by MEN, and you can't seriously claim the bible is more legit and has more hard facts and proof.

Of course if YOU read the bible now next to the Koran you will relate more to the bible. If you grew up in India, you would very likely be Hindu...and if you were one of those natives in the remote Amazon jungle, you'd believe the helicopters filming you are "a sign of God", and you'd sacrifice the next lizard you could find to appease the "gods".

And you haven't answered my question. Why do you believe the bible is more legit than other scriptures? And don't just say "if you read them both, you will definitely pick the bible" answer you just gave...I read the bible/Koran and a lot of Buddhist texts, and no, the choice isn't easy if you're seriously looking for a fairy tale to follow.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Randy, the simple fact that I even asked before I posted to makes sure that it would be worth my time would seem to make you a deceitful person.

If you ever feel like actually trying to address any of the things this thread and your OP are about, U2U me.

I guess being open minded was foolish of me as you are clearly only looking for 'atheists' to argue with rather than discuss any of the things you said in your OP.

So, if you ever stumble on the actual topic, let me know.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

And you haven't answered my question. Why do you believe the bible is more legit than other scriptures? And don't just say "if you read them both, you will definitely pick the bible" answer you just gave...I read the bible/Koran and a lot of Buddhist texts, and no, the choice isn't easy if you're seriously looking for a fairy tale to follow.
reply to post by MrXYZ

Well is this where we agree to disagree and move on then ? Things get
stale for me rapidly I'm afraid.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Atheism is not a religion. So stop while you're ahead. Please don't use any book of size, color or form to try to scare people to convert to whatever religious belief you follow.

Actually Atheism is a religion. Especially now since you have evangelical athiest such as Richard Dawkins claims to be.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Loken68]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate

No condescending double speak with a sarcasmic filled center and you can have the floor. Ready set go!

Loken68

Actually Atheism is a religion. Especially now since you have evangelical athiest such as richardson claims to be.

Evangely wha....?

Who is this Richardson now please? This is way new for me?

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Loken68

Theism: the belief in a deity
Atheism: the ABSENCE of belief

Absence of belief can't be a religion.

Sorry, but you don't even seem to understand the definition of atheism

[edit on 9-7-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by Loken68

Atheism=a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings. Or to put it bluntly "believes" in nothing. Trust me I know the subject well.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loken68

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by Loken68

Atheism=a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings. Or to put it bluntly "believes" in nothing. Trust me I know the subject well.

Wow you guy's are really behindEvangelical atheist
and Dawkins

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join