It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Earthquake Hit Southern California

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The plates have been moving, and moving much faster than they have in years a scientist said--a paper on the Calexico 7.2 event.

There have been over 5300 small quakes or 'micro quakes' since that 7.2eq. That's crazy......

You can see that the quakes are following a near perfect line leading north... That southern plate will keep trying to move north until something stops it for a while. Then, it'll slip again in the future, or create mountains again...

I'd be alert for the next 72 hours guys.. If you live near these quake swarms, because SOMETHING is gonna happen. it's gonna hit something and stop the swarm, or it'll hit something, slip, and a big quake will occur. (anywhere between a 5.0 - 8.0) I'd tend to guess lower.. more like 6.3...
Who knows. Maybe it will simply go silent, and boom, its over for 30 years... (I hope!).

Stay really alert tonight though.. these aftershocks are coming in quick.. they COULD be fore shocks to something larger.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67

A few weeks ago, I noticed a fairly large quake had been deleted all togeather, not downgraded, deleted. I was like 'what the hell, someone bump into a desk or what?'

Oh those clumsy scientists.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
The plates have been moving, and moving much faster than they have in years a scientist said--a paper on the Calexico 7.2 event.

Whats the source for this one?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

There have been over 5300 small quakes or 'micro quakes' since that 7.2eq. That's crazy......

You can see that the quakes are following a near perfect line leading north... That southern plate will keep trying to move north until something stops it for a while. Then, it'll slip again in the future, or create mountains again...

I'd be alert for the next 72 hours guys.. If you live near these quake swarms, because SOMETHING is gonna happen. it's gonna hit something and stop the swarm, or it'll hit something, slip, and a big quake will occur. (anywhere between a 5.0 - 8.0) I'd tend to guess lower.. more like 6.3...
Who knows. Maybe it will simply go silent, and boom, its over for 30 years... (I hope!).

Stay really alert tonight though.. these aftershocks are coming in quick.. they COULD be fore shocks to something larger.

I agree, I've felt for a while now that there was something building further north - not much further north than where the current quakes are centred. The activity has been moving north since the first Baja 7+.

I'd certainly recommend you ensure everything is bolted down and ensure where you're sleeping is safe from toppling furniture. Stay safe everyone.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Here guys try this one to keep track of the quakes it updates every 60 seconds... they don't have all the tiny ones on it but there is a huge cluster where they are happening. There is also a lava dome south south east in Mexico; not really that far away in terms of the quakes.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

You can scroll down a bit and just choose the USA and Canada then zoom in.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986

Weird! I didn't see it was preplanned! Thats an even bigger coincidence!

Its working now with intermittent errors.

WOW, I sure wish I would have copied and pasted what it said HERE before the quake! The Twitter status page has changed its wording and it states its current status was updated 2 hours ago. I promise you that the wording was different then what it says now and it was LESS then two hours ago that it said so!

Now it's just even more curious!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Here's a report from the Source

Earthquake measured at 5.7 shakes Southern Calif.

San Diego County Office of Emergency Services made a round of calls to all cities in the county and found no reports of significant damage. Louis Fuentes, chairman of the Imperial County board of supervisors, said he had no immediate reports of damage.

"As soon as it hit, my wife said, 'Grab the baby.' My daughter ran out to the back yard," said Fuentes, who was in his garage in Calexico, about 30 miles east of the epicenter. "It thumped really hard."

The quake was an aftershock of the deadly Easter Sunday magnitude-7.2 quake that shook Baja California and Southern California, said Egill Hauksson, a seismologist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. He said the epicenter of Monday's quake occurred in the same zone of the quake in April.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
And twitter is down. USGS_EQ_SoCal is blank now. I checked a few other accounts too and there are no tweets anywhere. Strange.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Earthquake Watch

interesting

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 15-6-2010 by Zeta Reticulan]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Site Availability Issues Due to Failed Enhancement of Our Timeline Cache 3 hours ago Update: We’re currently experiencing site availability issues resulting from the failed enhancement of a new approach to timeline caching. Our infrastructure and operations engineers are currently working to resolve this. We’ll update you soon with an ETA. Update: 10:17 PM PDT: Users may temporarily experience missing tweets from their timelines. They will be restored shortly.

Here you go.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DantesPeak
And twitter is down. USGS_EQ_SoCal is blank now. I checked a few other accounts too and there are no tweets anywhere. Strange.

Yea most of them are blank right now. Must have to be because of what I posted just a minute ago.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticulan
Earthquake Watch

interesting

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 15-6-2010 by Zeta Reticulan]

That is interesting! Looks like someone knows what they're doing.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

Yes I know, and what I'm saying is THAT is different then what it said less than two hours ago when they claim to have posted that update.

The after/fore shocks sure seem to be slowing down finally. I would encourage everyone to watch the video that Zeta posted. Very interesting indeed!

[edit on 6/15/2010 by Whisper67]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I'm about 100 miles north of Ocotillo...and there have sure been a lot of aftershocks (foreshocks?), but being about 100 miles away, I've only felt a couple of the bigger ones up here.

But the real problem, on knowing whether these are all aftershocks, or maybe foreshocks to the BIG ONE, is that they can't ever tell you that until after the fact. If the big one comes along sometime later, then they say they were foreshocks. But if a bigger one doesn't come, then they say they were aftershocks. Reassuring, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by America?

Edgar Cayce is not a kid...

link   
reply to post by Oozii

It was a 5.7 you doofis.

link   

Originally posted by sapient
I'm about 100 miles north of Ocotillo...and there have sure been a lot of aftershocks (foreshocks?), but being about 100 miles away, I've only felt a couple of the bigger ones up here.

But the real problem, on knowing whether these are all aftershocks, or maybe foreshocks to the BIG ONE, is that they can't ever tell you that until after the fact. If the big one comes along sometime later, then they say they were foreshocks. But if a bigger one doesn't come, then they say they were aftershocks. Reassuring, isn't it?

The quake was an aftershock of the deadly Easter Sunday magnitude-7.2 quake that shook Baja California and Southern California, said Egill Hauksson, a seismologist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. He said the epicenter of Monday's quake occurred in the same zone of the quake in April.

But that doesnt mean a massive quake wont hit.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWOWILLFALL
reply to post by America?

Edgar Cayce is not a kid...

He was talking about the kid who posted a video saying the big one was coming and telephone poles may fall over because of it.

Originally posted by TheChemist187
reply to post by Oozii

It was a 5.7 you doofis.

It was downgraded after the thread was created.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by DantesPeak]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986

Whats the source for this one?

Oh geez, it's on the USGS somewhere... I remember entering something like 'baja quake' and something else in google. I'll try and find it. It's like a small 'report' by some geologist. I also saw one for some small swarm more north of California...

It had a few maps/data plot images..

(This is one I saw on the Baja 7.2-- it didn't have newer data though, and is from the Southern Cali Seismic Network, and has some AMAZING images of huge cracks in the earth from a helicopter...

www.scsn.org...

[edit on 6/15/2010 by Pharyax]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DantesPeak

Yeah well I take Edgar Cayce's 2010 earthquake prophecy seriously...
I could care less about a kid's predictions but he's right nonetheless...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join