It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Deems American Flag 'Offensive'

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

When and where did she tell the child GOD BLESS AMERICA was offensive and not the flag? I am not trying to be rude or sarcastic I just can't find it in the story.
Thanks

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
You mean we dont even manufacture American flags here???

Now that's disgusting!

This is not an ad - this is merely to prove a point - You can still get an American Flag made in America. I was the Director of security for a complex in Houston and shortly after 9/11 the Property owner wanted to do a flag tribute on the grounds with about 100 US flags and this is who we went with because it was very important to him that these flags be made in America.

www.flagstoreusa.com...

A History of Annin
America's Flag Maker
by Warren D. Jorgensen

From a mountain on Iwo Jima to the surface of the moon, from exotic ports of call to the North and South poles, from atop Mount Everest to the rubble of the World Trade Center, Americans and the world have seen, flown and saluted U.S. flags made by Annin & Co. for nearly 160 years.

The world's largest and oldest flag company, Annin & Co. and its 500 employees produce literally miles of stripes and a multitude of stars that go into 15 million U.S. flags a year. All are made in the U.S.A.—at manufacturing plants in Verona, N.J. (pop. 13,533), South Boston, Va. (pop, 8,491), and Coshocton, Ohio (pop. 11,682).

"Patriotism demands that an American flag has to be made in America,” says Carter Beard, who with his cousin, Randy, represent the sixth generation to help run the business, based in Roseland, N.J. (pop. 5,298). "We hire the best workers, train them and give them the best machines, and from that we get the highest quality flag.”

The company's roots go back to 1820, when Alexander Annin opened a small flag-making shop on the New York City waterfront, where ships bound for the four corners of the world did so under Annin-made flags. Annin's sons, Edward and Benjamin, followed in their father's footsteps and in 1847 founded Annin & Co., moving to a large full-service factory on New York's Fifth Avenue. The company enjoyed success from the start, especially with its American flags.
Woven into American history

In many ways, the company's story is interwoven with the story of America itself.

In 1849, Annin-made American flags were flown at the inauguration of President Zachary Taylor, starting an inaugural tradition that has continued through the inauguration of President George W. Bush.

"We made the flag that draped Abraham Lincoln's coffin (in 1865), something we are especially proud of,” Beard says.

By the close of the 19th century, regard for the Annins' product had spread, and the company's flags were hoisted at foreign expositions, world's fairs and at the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge in 1883.

Exploration and involvement in world affairs consumed America during the 20th century, and Annin was there. The company's flags were planted as symbols of success during Commander Robert E. Peary's expedition to the North Pole in 1909, Admiral Richard E. Byrd's expedition to the South Pole in 1930 and the National Geographic expedition to Mount Everest in 1963. It was an Annin-made flag that Marines raised atop Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima in 1945, memorialized in a classic Associated Press photograph.

On July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong and "Buzz” Aldrin stepped out from the Lunar Module and planted an Annin-made U.S. flag on the moon's surface, where it remains today. "We were a supplier to NASA . . . We officially submitted flags to NASA for the moon missions, and ours was picked,” says Beard, who was age 4 at the time.

The world's largest American flag—104 feet by 235 feet—was made by Annin for the J.L. Hudson Co. in Detroit in 1949 and was retired in 1976 to the Smithsonian Institution. It was Annin artist Newt Heisley who designed the POW/MIA flag, which was never copyrighted because the company decided the patriotic symbol belonged to all Americans.

Perhaps the nation's most recent memory of an Annin-made flag came after the events of Sept. 11, 2001, when firemen raced to a nearby marina and grabbed a ship's American flag to raise over the rubble of the World Trade Center. The photographed moment became the iconic image of that tragic day. "Everyone here was extremely proud that it was an Annin flag,” says Beard, his voice mixed with pride and regret. "It was an emotional sight to see that flag being raised.”
Flag maker to the world

Annin annually produces 30 million flags of all kinds. The company has made state flags that fly over every state Capitol in the nation, and appear in every parade where the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars or Boy Scouts participate. As the official flag maker to the United Nations, Annin manufactures each flag waving in front of the U.N. headquarters in New York City.

Despite technological advances, the Verona plant, built in 1916, remains the heart and soul of the company, where custom-made flags—American, state and any one of thousands of custom designs—are crafted by hand. There, seamstresses carefully sew stars and stripes, while highly trained embroiderers create meticulously detailed flag designs with foot-operated sewing machines. It's a slow learning curve, where training an embroiderer can take up to four years.

"I'm very proud of what we do here,” says Plant Manager Joe Vallone, as he watches workers fold a custom-made 30-by-60-foot American flag that took four workers 10 days to create. "There are machines that can do similar work,” he says, "but nothing like what you'll see when they're made by hand.”

Elisa Vaca, 61, of Bloomfield, N.J. (pop. 47,683), began working as a seamstress for Annin 35 years ago. Her pride and joy is a 60-by-90-foot American flag that often hangs from the George Washington Bridge between New York and New Jersey. It is only displayed on special occasions and retracts into the bridge tower when not in use.

"I take my brother (to the bridge) to see it, and I tell him, ‘See, I made that,'” Vaca says. "It was so big, and up there it looked so small. I am very proud.”
Red, white and blue

While standard American flags are sold in volume through the large chain stores, Annin's continued success lies in its nationwide network of more than 2,000 mom-and-pop flag shops, such as The Flag Lady in Columbus, Ohio.

"My mother said that Annin made the best-looking, longest-lasting American flags,” says Lori Watson, 47, who runs the Ohio flag shop started by her mother more than 30 years ago. "We made the choice to only sell Annin flags, and we've never been sorry that we did. We swear by their quality.”

But perhaps the greatest reason for Annin's success and longevity is the American people themselves, says flag historian Whitney Smith, founder and director of The Flag Research Center in Winchester, Mass. (pop. 20,810)

"Unlike the countries they came from, Americans have no national, racial, religious or aristocratic identity,” Smith says. "They came to regard the flag as embodying the symbolism of the country and its unity. It is the thread of our national life, and Annin has been there longer than anyone else.”

I served my country proudly and I wish to see the colors returned to their place of high standing, right now she dragging a bit low and has become quite tattered but that is not to say she cannot be restored. But to put it bluntly. If you are in America and you are offended by the American flag - you can leave and not be missed. That flag is not representative of a government it is representative of a people and their desire to be free.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by WWJFKD]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

No true. In one post you claimed she correctly criticized the desecration of the flag. When asked what her criticism was she said NOTHING. So you jumped to a conclusion just like the patriotic Americans did. oops!
And if anyone stops and really thinks about it she wasn't talking about God Bless America
desecrating the flag. I mean what could be offensive about a child doing something they didn't understand. I mean come on.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by rick1]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

It is unethical & improper for teachers to express & promote a political bias.

Yes it is. One of my grandchildren came home during election time talking about what the teacher was telling them during class. She was discussing the merits of one candidate and how good he would be for the country, etc.

I went to school the next day and politely informed her that it was not her place to instill her political beliefs into the young minds of her students. And that if my grandchild ever came home again telling me that she was discussing politics in the classroom that I would bypass the principal and file a complaint with the local school counsil and the board of ed.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

Wow! If I did not no better I would think you want to talk about everyone BUT THE TEACHER. Why is that? It is funny you also assumed the teacher knew flag rules. oops!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
You want to know what I think is offensive..

the fact that Old Glory is a commodity to be bought and sold..

You can see the American flag printed on someone's # stained boxers these days.. and that's ok?

[edit on 11-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

In a situation like that the parents should be filing complaints. Their job is to teach the students, not use them for their own agendas. IMO a teacher that will attempt to instill their political beliefs in the minds of children, or use them for their own agendas should have their teaching credentials revoked.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I wrote this thread a few days ago and it ties in with this one.
I can't believe what is happening in our society today over
our national icons.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

That flag is not representative of a government it is representative of a people and their desire to be free.

That has got to be the best statement that I've read in this whole thread. If I was a Mod I'd give you an applause for that alone

For the life of me I can't understand why some find it offensive that some of us hold our flag in high esteem.

Thank You for your service.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CowPatty

In the water and in the air also. People now days hardly stand a chance. Were being hearded like sheep to the cliff. It's up to us to jump off or turn around and stand our ground. I for one am turning around and have been for quite a while.....Dam those bastards who think they are gods when they are really just fools on their way to foolsville...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

You do not know much about "the government" or this country do you. Legal speak is very particular. Maybe you should read my thread "You owe it to yourself", and ProtoplasmicTravelers thread on Rome.

Deny ignorance all the time. I'm not stupid, I know the law, Common Law.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton
reply to post by daddio

Please assist me in understanding your last sentance,

"The 50 states of the Union are known as AMERICA and NOT the U.S."

I am having a little trouble figuring out if you are referring to "North America", "Central America", or "South America".

I always thought the term America refered to the continant which was, either correctly or incorrectly, attributed to Christopher Columbus having discovered.

I also thought the title "United States of America" was the name used within the Constitution as the name of our country.

If you could be so kind as to enlighten me about the errors in this line of thinking, I will be eternally greatful. I am accustom to being wrong on many issues and am always pleased to learn the correct manner of things.

First off, for legal reasons, it is spelled united states of America. Only the word America is capitalized, it is a noun. The first two words describe "what" it is.

The legal system is used against you all the time, and ignorant people go to jail because they do not know how to speak the languauge or write it out.

the Constitution is a corporate document and does not apply to you or me as we were never a party to it. the founders did not trust each other and so devised this document to keep everything fair between THEM.

The U.S. is STRICTLY federal territory and THAT is IT. Federal Territory is Washington D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico, the Trust territories of the Northern Marianas and all military bases. When ignorant people use the term they are giving consent to being a corporate employee and must abide by the manual/policy, which is the "laws" that are passed by Congress. These laws do not apply to "Free Men" or Sovereigns. It is refered to as "color of law" having no meaning to Free Men and Sovereigns.

I will eloborate more later, must get back to work.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
You mean we dont even manufacture American flags here???

Now that's disgusting!

Not true. I just looked at the one I have and it is made in the USA. I bought it at a Fred Meyers a couple of years ago. I think that was just hyperbole.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by daddio

Article 1 of the Articles of Confederation states:
The Stile of this Confederacy shall be "The United States of America."

That's our name and we're sticking to it. It is not nor has ever been "the united states of America".

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
Why on Earth are people so wrapped up in this flag? Patriotism? Better think again...

You have it completely wrong here I think. It's about freedoms, including freedom of expression. That Teacher is trying to force her radical views upon her students. That is not her job and she should be fired.

That Teacher also criticized the student for going to her Parents. That is wrong in so many ways it's hardly worth debating. It can't be defended.

Personally, I think public schools are now a form of child abuse. Parents should do whatever it takes to get their kids out of public schools, even if they have to sacrifice.

We will always have radicals who wish to force their views on others and have no respect for others rights and wishes. We don't need to be giving them jobs teaching children.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by daddio

The Law is what it is today and how it is defined today. Not in the past, not in the future, but how it is defined today.

Oops, way off topic here.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Of course, just imagine all the things that slip by parents on a daily basis, through these "daily interactions."

I'm sure there are kids being ridiculed for things daily and they are never given an explanation about why they are chastised.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddio

Originally posted by hdutton
reply to post by daddio

Please assist me in understanding your last sentance,

"The 50 states of the Union are known as AMERICA and NOT the U.S."

I am having a little trouble figuring out if you are referring to "North America", "Central America", or "South America".

I always thought the term America refered to the continant which was, either correctly or incorrectly, attributed to Christopher Columbus having discovered.

I also thought the title "United States of America" was the name used within the Constitution as the name of our country.

If you could be so kind as to enlighten me about the errors in this line of thinking, I will be eternally greatful. I am accustom to being wrong on many issues and am always pleased to learn the correct manner of things.

First off, for legal reasons, it is spelled united states of America. Only the word America is capitalized, it is a noun. The first two words describe "what" it is.

The legal system is used against you all the time, and ignorant people go to jail because they do not know how to speak the languauge or write it out.

the Constitution is a corporate document and does not apply to you or me as we were never a party to it. the founders did not trust each other and so devised this document to keep everything fair between THEM.

The U.S. is STRICTLY federal territory and THAT is IT. Federal Territory is Washington D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico, the Trust territories of the Northern Marianas and all military bases. When ignorant people use the term they are giving consent to being a corporate employee and must abide by the manual/policy, which is the "laws" that are passed by Congress. These laws do not apply to "Free Men" or Sovereigns. It is refered to as "color of law" having no meaning to Free Men and Sovereigns.

I will eloborate more later, must get back to work.

This has to be the worst sack of subversive trash I have yet to have read.

It would seem quite evident that you have not read much about this great nation or you would surely have come across it's name written out as The United States of America. That is what it says on the money in your pocket, on almost every map you can find, and on my pay checks while I was working in her service.

As to the legal system; If a person has the good sense to behave themselves, they will have very little trouble in this country because it is one of the few based upon laws which even I, as ignorant as I am, can generally understand. I am currently sixty-four, 64 for you, and have been reading and writing since I was four, 4. That's sixty years and I feel I have a fairly firm grasp of the language.

It has always been my personal contention that the Constitution was written as a means of restraining the powers of a centralized government and to correct some of the short comings of the Articles of Confederation, you remember them, for the relationships between the various states.
If the constitution was meant as a corporate document; this coporation has not made very much profit over the years.

You really lost me when writing about the federal territories which were yet to be in existance when this document was written. Not that the lands were not there, just that they were not established with in the realm of territories at the time. I would hate to get you confused.

As to the laws of the United States of America applying to "free men"; I would think if you want to remain free you had best abide by these laws or you will not be free very long. I am of course speaking in the physical sense. A man can be free in his mind reguardless of his physical circumstances, and some are often a little to free and need to be protected from themselves.

All this time I thought of "sovereigns" as old money.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

You people are so funny. You don't get it. The public fool system has done a masterful job of brainwashing you into this realm of idiocy. I apologize for the remarks but it is true. Have ANY of you EVER read the federal code? I have. I have also read the IRS code. Do you know which titles of the federal code are ratified? I do.

Please, give me a break, Common Law supercedes ALL law, statutory, equity, commercial......ALL law.

The flag is not a symbol of what you think it is. When of when will you people wake up. Symbolism has been used for ages to brainwash people. Patriotism does not come from a flag, it comes from the heart and knowledge of why you are here and who you really are.

FYI, I have no drivers license yet I drive every day. I obtain no hunting or fishing licenses, yet I hunt and fish. I have been stopped and have given the officer quite an education. The "tags" on my motorcycle and car are my own, they state "TAX EXEMPT" and "NO EXP", this is all legal when you know how the system works, File a UCC-1 and reclaim your identity that the corporate government stole from you.

This whole flag thing and all the other things that are going on are being done for a reason, TPTB can not implement Martial Law without a conflict. These kids are doing this to create that conflict. Open your eyes.

Please oh please wake up already, and who is talking about denying ignorance?

I'm not the ignorant one here.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by daddio]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It's time to boycott California.

The hippies have officially smoked away their sanity.

The American flag is offensive?

I find that idea offensive, to the point of blood boiling anger.

If you find that flag offensive, you should get the hell out of America, before Americans decide you aren't welcome. (Your going away party won't be as fun as you might imagine.)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join