It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Deems American Flag 'Offensive'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Originally posted by CowPatty
reply to post by Portugoal

Only
In
California.

What is wrong with those people? Is it something in the water?

No

It's that we don't screw chickens or our cousins

Well maybe people in California need to Start screwing chickens and their cousins. because California is one screwed up State.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

I missed this part. I see where she deemed the flag as inappropriate and offensive. But supporting respect of it? Where did you see this posted at?

This is a repeat of my post earlier in the thread. Part of the protocol of respect for the flag is: "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

The student drew an American flag and then wrote a motto on it. This is disrespectful of the flag and offensive to those who hold that the flag is a sacred patriotic symbol.

Another prominent example of the same protocol error is the action of the previous President:

Source

In July 2003 President Bush autographed a small flag. This picture was circulated across the Internet noting its violation of the Flag Code: "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I think this is ridiculous, hands down. If freedom of speech doesn't let you draw a picture of an American Flag, then what the hell can you do. Nothing, apparently, that goes against the established politcal party's agenda - which is the whole reason freedom of speech exists in the first place, TO CHALLENGE THE STANDING POLITICAL PARTY.

What don't you understand about it wasn't the drawing of the American Flag that was the problem. It was the desecration of that flag by writing a motto on it.

Repeat: the student's mistake was to DESECRATE the flag.

The Teacher's mistake was to not make the objection clear to the student or the students parents.

This was undoubtedly not her finest hour. But where is there a teacher who has never muffed an explanation and confused a student? Where is there a teacher who has never hurt a student's feelings by a mishandled critique of their work? Or a student that has never misinterpreted a teacher's words?

Please think about this, I beg you. The media outlet wants to turn this backwards, and have you frothing at the mouth about the student being forbidden to draw a flag and that is simply NOT what happened.

[edit on 11/5/2010 by rnaa]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
So... pride for your country is now offensive? WTF? America is anti-america, this makes no sense.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Hullabaloo]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This Teacher should be Fired ,It is Un American If I where one of the parents I would get a lawer and Sue that school .
I am see these Kind of problems Occurring more and more and seem to be trying to under mind Americans who love there country ,Yes there is freedom of speech in this country but some of this is going too far.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I'm starting to think they are brainwashing the public somehow. I can't imagine them all being payed of and controlled, people are behaving a certain way and its not natural.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Your flag represents the living history of your nation and all the peoples, generation after generation who built it.
It is who you are, who you were and who you will be.
It is your place in the global community.
Only the nutters see some sort of conflict between nation and global unity.
And so they seek to destroy nationhood and history.
Seeing phantom enemies to the unity of man.
Fly the flag and be an American Earther, British Earther, Spanish Earther, German, French etc etc.
The global society will have its equality and parity, but it shall also have it's roots in nations, that shall not be forgotten or erased, for why should they?
Only if you make the wrong assumption that national identity is counter to global identity.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

What if that wasn't why she made the call? What if the word GOD offended her? Maybe she's a practicing Luciferian and her GOD is Ahriman or Samael? And being right for telling a child not to write on art? The flag code is for the flag. It has no bearing on art which is free and open to all the expression one wishes. As art, and not a flag, your protocol is void of merit to this debate. If you wanted to insert a lesson on flag protocol- fine, but to dictate it's use in art is preposterous.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by PhyberDragon]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

As with the Confederate States OF America's flag has been made to be a symbol of racism, so too will become of the banner of the United States.

It is equally nonsensical to be labeled a racist for having White skin and not licking the boots of everyone else all the time!

This is why most people oppose the illegal Mexican invasion, as it is fundamentally changing this country, and has now progressed to the point where we can no longer fly our flag without shame.... We don't have any of these problems on our boarder with Canada! Perhaps If the Mexican immigrants acted a little more civilized there wouldn't be such a stigma surrounding their parasitic presence here!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Maybe religion is the reason she found it offensive. She didn't like the word "God" on her flag?
But even still, that has to be explained as to why she found it offensive (in this case the lack of separation between Church and State)... even though "God Bless America" is, I would think, just as big as the flag.

The mere reasons that she:

a) couldn't give an answer for her "offensive" feeling toward the flag,
b)she never explained why the glorious Obama picture was great and the flag was ridiculed, at the very least to the rest of the students,
AND
c) she told the child that it was wrong to go and tell her parents what she said

are enough to get her DISMISSED! After that, I don't see how any other school would take a chance on her. If I found out she was being transfered to my school after this incident, I would raise hell.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
In June of 1944 the invasion of Normandy began. By September, more than 2 million troops would have landed. Each and every one of the 2500 men who died storming the beaches laid down his life for this offensive flag. Not even knowing this woman, each and every one laid down his life so that she should have her lame ass, crappy opinion.

Now, the cause behind the wars may be evil, and may be unpatriotic. But the actions of the men who died in those wars was noble, in support of defending our great nation and the flag that represents it.

I say we vote California off the island during the next tribal council.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

What she did was ridiculously wrong, but to vote 30 million people off the island based on her actions :O May be a little too extreme.

Of course, the way this world is turning nowadays, California may just become an island itself soon enough.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

What don't you understand about it wasn't the drawing of the American Flag that was the problem. It was the desecration of that flag by writing a motto on it.

Oh, please. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the teacher in this case doesn't even know that there is a flag-handling protocol. She's probably one of those short-haired types that wears sensible shoes and no makeup. She hates the US and loves Obama.

Protocol. Hah!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I agree, I find the Yank flag nausiating

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

The American Flag protocol does not allow Desecration of the flag itself. You can write a motto on a drawing of an American Flag. That is not considered Desecration of the American Flag.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I cant believe this has happend in america. In England (where i'm from) our English flag (St. Georges cross) is considered "offensive" and St. Georges day isn't even celebrated even though st. Patricks day is celebrated all over the world.

Part of this is because of the use of the english flag by the BNP and the EDL, who's ideals are not shared throughout the country.

The BNP is a political party who is much hated throughout britain because of there obvious racisim.

While the EDL is similar, they also want independence from ireland, scottland and wales. Although they are not a political party. More like a group of protesters.

And now seeing that there might be a growing trend in america about americans deeming their own flag as "offensive", well i just hope nothin bad will happen over there that might see them fall, as i would like to visit the country someday as i really dislike my own country.

oh yeah, on a side note this is my first post after joining today. i have been visiting this site for about 5 years as a "guest"

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This was not a flag. It was a drawing of a flag. So the flag protocol does not even apply.
The teacher owes either an explanation or a sincere apology acknowledging that she made a huge mistake in judgment.

It is the responsibility of the principal and the school board to make her accountable for her actions. Who knows what other personal opinions, disguised as truth, she has foisted on her unsuspecting students. However the girl in class did not seem emotionally injured by his incident, only confused.

My 11 year old son was berated by his teacher when he said that he didn't want to to watch the Michael Jackson tribute video during lunch. His teacher was a black woman who had Michael Jackson posted all over her class.

When she asked him why he didn't want to skip lunch to watch the video my son said that he doesn't watch videos of pedophiles. ( I know tact is not his strong point) His teacher flew into a rage and called him a racist and tried to humiliate him in class. He took it like a man and stuck to his guns. I didn't make a big deal out of it though. I considered this an excellent life lesson for him.

It taught him that he is always going to encounter people like her. Letting her have her strange opinion and act like a lunatic did not demean my son in any way, it only proved that she was an educated fool.

Life is not fair, that is an unavoidable reality. The sooner our kids learn that, the better.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

You are no more certain that the teacher's outrage was due to writing on the flag than we know it was due to political bias.

However, it is very telling when she would not specify the cause of 'offense.' Had it been writing on the flag then she would have said so. My intuition is telling me it was not due to writing on the flag but something so bizarre that she kept silent because she knew she had no case.

Like the word 'God' when it is recited in the pledge every morning or the depiction of the flag when there is one in every class room.

My intuition is telling me it was due to political bias because her behavior leaves little room for any other explanation.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

The thing I don't understand is what political bias? She loves the leader but she hates the country? I can't see how that's possible

Her comment of it being "offensive" is perplexing. Maybe she really is an educated fool who just couldn't find the right word, because I don't see how "offensive" could possibly be right.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I do not believe the flag code would cover this, but it would be protected under the freedom of speech. You know the same right that states a person can burn the US flag in a demonstration? If there was a problem, then it clearly lies with the teacher, what she did was not the best example of a teacher, to include obviously pushing her ideas of a political agenda in the classroom, and instead of pulling the child asside and building up the childs esteeme and explaining what was wrong, she choose to embarass the child infront of the entire class. Now I am not so sure about you, but when I was going to school, teachers were forbidden for doing that, as it would result in things like write ups, loss of jobs and possibly forcing them to change careers. The teacher in short was wrong. If the child was chewing gum in class, talking when she should not have been, misbeaving, yeah, I could understand discipline is required, but this is none of those.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join