It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Deems American Flag 'Offensive'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Teacher Deems American Flag 'Offensive'

www.foxnewsradio.com

The battle over the American flag has reached a middle school art class in California’s Santa Rita School District where a student was told not to draw Old Glory because it was “offensive,” but another student — in the same class – was praised for drawing a picture of President Obama.

Tracy Hathaway, of Salinas, CA, told FOX News Radio her 13-year-old daughter was ordered to stop drawing the American flag by an art teacher at Gavilan View Middle School.

“She had drawn the flag and was sk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.associatedcontent.com

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I think this is probably an incident of favouritism more than anything but this is
definetly the wrong kind of art to be picky over.
With all the anti-American rhetoric going on in America itself,
obviously this was going to make the news. Especially since
the Cinco de Mayo "Tee Scandal" occured in the same State
just last week.

Its interesting that she allows for Obama's picture to be
allowed and not the flag drawing. Can't wait for what ATS
has to say about that.

www.foxnewsradio.com
(visit the link for the full news article and ignore that its from FOX)

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Portugoal]

+22 more 
posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Not that I want to "worship" the flag as some do I do respect the fact that it can be seen as a symbol of America (though a better symbol should be the Constitution). I am not sure how the teacher sees it as offensive unless of course there are many immigrants in the class. If that is the case they should get used to seeing the flag as they are living in the country.

As for the teacher I think maybe she should be deported to some place she finds less offensive.

Raist

[edit on 5/10/10 by Raist]

+7 more 
posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think the teacher is way out of line on the second part by approaching the student and stating she should not have involved her parents. That is grounds for both parents to come down hard on that teacher and demand that the child be seperated from that teacher with a lawyer handy.
I think that the staff would be very happy that the parents are involved in the childs life and the childs schoolwork, and what is going on. I am horrified at the teachers actions and what the teacher did and stated.

+6 more 
posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Only
In
California.

What is wrong with those people? Is it something in the water?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

You're right. The parents should know exactly what the teacher is telling the kid. What she said was ridiculous.

I saw one comment somewhere that went along the lines of: The teacher just so happens to hate America, like her hero Obama.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This is just the tip of a huge iceburg lurking in the classrooms. The educators in charge your childrens education have already set beliefs that are not going to be changed. This teacher was caught but how many go under the radar. We have another teacher in California wanting for Mexicans to Revolt, another teacher in Seattle wanting to crash the tea parties and steal identity information, & many revolutionary teachers go unnoticed.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Sounds like maybe this Administration should list the Teachers Union as a possible terrorist organization that wants to overthrow the US government.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CowPatty
reply to post by prionace glauca

Sounds like maybe this Administration should list the Teachers Union as a possible terrorist organization that wants to overthrow the US government.

Anyone who donated to this administration and voted for it, has a free pass to destroy the United States of America as they see fit. If such an organization needs help in the destruction just call team OBAMA, they will be glad to take action against anyone who stands in your way. Just look at out Team OBAMA is trying to sue Arizona for passing a Illegal Immigration modeled after the Federal bill....

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
That person doesn't deserve to be a teacher. How absolutely ridiculous and anti-American!
How dare she tell that child that drawing the American flag is 'offensive'. WTF??

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Why on Earth are people so wrapped up in this flag? Patriotism? Better think again...

Who cares about the method of offense.. I'm offended as well. When's the last time you picked up a flag in the store and looked at the tag? "Made in China?"

No thanks, I don't need a bit of cloth made in a country completely handicapped in the realm of human dignity and rights to wave around and act like I care about my country that the same China seems hell-bent on buying up and destroying.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
I think the teacher is way out of line on the second part by approaching the student and stating she should not have involved her parents. That is grounds for both parents to come down hard on that teacher and demand that the child be seperated from that teacher with a lawyer handy.
I think that the staff would be very happy that the parents are involved in the childs life and the childs schoolwork, and what is going on. I am horrified at the teachers actions and what the teacher did and stated.

Perfectly said. I hope my 13 year old is as open with me when she gets there. I would have been back down to the school to get teacher's head on a platter if my child had been castigated for telling me.

Every day I thank goodness that I got my kids out of the insane asylum that used to be California.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
history.verdeserve.com...
some may be offended by this

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
You mean we dont even manufacture American flags here???

Now that's disgusting!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
You mean we dont even manufacture American flags here???

Now that's disgusting!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Well there are exceptions:

amflagco.com...

And a Wal-mart supplier claimed in 2007 that Wal-Mart makes a diligent effort to buy from U S suppliers--at least with regards to a high percentage of flags. The article is here:

flags.me...

[edit on 10-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
Why on Earth are people so wrapped up in this flag? Patriotism? Better think again...

Who cares about the method of offense.. I'm offended as well. When's the last time you picked up a flag in the store and looked at the tag? "Made in China?"

No thanks, I don't need a bit of cloth made in a country completely handicapped in the realm of human dignity and rights to wave around and act like I care about my country that the same China seems hell-bent on buying up and destroying.

And that means we should all run around naked? Check the tags on your clothes. Were they made here? How about some of the parts of our cars? Were they made here, or over seas? So when does the hate stop? Today, tomorrow, the next day or, after it`s to late? They hate us, we hate them, and that gets us where? Back to the stone age mentality.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

fox news,

this sure has a lot of context. definitely.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
We talk about the flag, but beyond the stars and stripes does anyone really know what they symbolize? The stars represent each of the 50 states, the stripes each of the first colonies in the country. But the colors of the flag represents the following ideas: Honor, courage and valor. They were chosen speifically for that reason, and if people still look to the flag of the country with pride and hope, seeing the promise and possiblity of the nation is that really a bad thing? A small child, what exactly did she do that was so wrong, she did not draw a picture of the president, and instead looked with pride of one of the symbols of her country, choosing to draw it and do it well, wanting to secure the blessing of the divine for all who live here, is that so bad? That is hope for the future, that is who we should be backing and supporting, a child who looks to a symbol of a country, like its flag and sees pride in such.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

We can be certain this flag that was offensive was made in America.

Regardless of where something is made really matters not. In previous threads I have shown evidence that 40% of the products sold in the U.S. are made in China. In the end that does not matter.

What matters is why this teacher decided that the flag this student was drawing is offensive. If the flag of the country she resides in is offensive maybe she needs to move to a country whose flag she finds less offensive. It is not the flag or patriotism that is the problem. It is when people decide to follow whatever choices their governments are laying out for them. For instance this state funded school paying a teacher to say a flag a student is drawing is offensive. If we all decided that the flag was offensive because of state funded ideas that would be blind patriotism and yes it would be wrong.

At this point I do not see how someone enjoying their country’s flag (the country they live in) can be considered offensive. Of course to some whack job over the edge liberal it would be considered offensive. Do not get me wrong I support the idea of burning a flag if someone feels they need to in order to get their point across, that is their right.

This teacher was clearly out of line and is showing complete lack of regard and respect for her country. Which takes me back to the if it offends her so badly maybe she should quit her state paid job and find a country more suitable for her senses.

Raist

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

And the Constitution is just some piece of paper, the Declaration of Independence is just some paper, the Whitehouse is just some house, were just another country in world full of countries, nothings sacred, nothings special. Ect ect so on and so forth ad nauseum.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join