It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Deems American Flag 'Offensive'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Speaking of Faux news stories about Obama in the school system, whatever happened to the Obama youth army, or the pledges all children were being forced to make to Obama?

Quit falling for this garbage, guys. This one seems to have some basis in fact, for once, but you can bet it's been greatly exaggerated and sensationalized to further an agenda. In my opinion the mention of God is probably what she said was unsuitable for display in the school system, and we're not getting the full story.

They like to use the children in school scenario because it garners an emotional response from parents, but try to think of how many times it's been used in the past, and turned out to be a fabrication.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Risen]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
I think this is probably an incident of favouritism more than anything but this is
definetly the wrong kind of art to be picky over.
With all the anti-American rhetoric going on in America itself,
obviously this was going to make the news. Especially since
the Cinco de Mayo "Tee Scandal" occured in the same State
just last week.

Its interesting that she allows for Obama's picture to be
allowed and not the flag drawing. Can't wait for what ATS
has to say about that.

www.foxnewsradio.com
(visit the link for the full news article and ignore that its from FOX)

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Portugoal]

I don't believe I'll ignore the link source due to it being from FOX news. I find Fox a far more credible news source than the 'mainstream' news sources.
Let's stop the California bashing. Having the greatest population of any state, it is only natural to have the most 'nut jobs'. Probably not anymore than anywhere else, percentage wise.
This art 'teacher' needs to stick to art and to not dabble in matters outside of her (I am assuming she as I never heard of a male performing this function) area of expertise. This person needs to be fired or at least removed from the classroom.
Damn, I am so sick of this Political Correctness. What about the poor child in question's feelings? If a Latino or Hispanic (or whatever they are going by this week) finds our flag offensive I would suggest they move South of the border, taking the 'teacher' AND Obama with them.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

All I gotta say to this is I again, thank the lord and lady I don't live in Ca. And that if I did and this teacher was my childs' teacher...I'd remove them from the class, and if the school didn't co-operate, I'd go to the board of ed. if that didn't work I'd withdraw all my children's attendance from that school system and make them go online to finish their schooling at home!!!! And I would go to every frikking media outlet possible about their unwillingness to solve the problem, just like it seems someone has done here. Only I'd be quite a bit more VOCAL!!!!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
the song says
'GOD BLESS AMERICA" for a reason folk's.

taking religion out of state has caused nothing but trouble since word go.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD....ring a bell anyone?

[edit on 11-5-2010 by TheAmused]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Fox new eh...I don't trust anything that comes out form them. They are known for slanting the news toward their right-wing propaganda bull#. I clicked on this post because I was like shocked that any American would be offended by the American Flag. But after reading the article, I became skeptical of the intentions of the writer, and then I saw it was fox news...blaming liberals for this kind of attitude. And the whole bit about the student who was praised for making an Obama portrait...*rolling eyes*. First of all, (and I digress) lets stop blaming Obama for what the bush administration has done to this country. Second, as a Californian and someone with liberal tendencies, I'm proud to be an American and think it is ridiculous that anyone would be offended by a flag (no matter the country)...that is just stupid and weird. Personally, I think what happened in that class room was probably exaggerated and misrepresented (fox news!).

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Fire her and take away her pension. If our national flag is offensive, then this teacher is offensive and unacceptable. SHe has no business molding our children. I hope the school board has a pair of brass balls and terms her.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by kisharninmah
Personally, I think what happened in that class room was probably exaggerated and misrepresented (fox news!).

As much as you may not like Fox News, the problem with your opinion is the story was acknowledged and dealt with by the schoo district and even prompted a response by the superintendent...meaning THIS DID OCCUR AS REPORTED. So nothing was exaggerated from FOX and this "teacher" proved she is nothing of the sort.....I DO find it odd how her name was NOT included in ANY of the articles I read about this incident....hmmmm wonder why that is...might answer A LOT of questions.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kisharninmah

I saw this reported on my local news network and the facts were the same as those reported on Fox. I really don't see a right wing spin on this.

Either way, I don't think the teacher needs to lose her job over this, be she does owe everyone an explanation.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
reply to post by kisharninmah

I saw this reported on my local news network and the facts were the same as those reported on Fox. I really don't see a right wing spin on this.

Either way, I don't think the teacher needs to lose her job over this, be she does owe everyone an explanation.

This is all fact. The inclusion of the Obama comments oculd be seen as a spin job but these events did happen.

I do think she should lose her job for failing to provide any explanation and chastising the child for telling her parents.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I don't know if this was posted yet, but here is the reply from the school Superintendent, Mike Brusa.

American Flag Controversy Statement on the Issue - 05-10-2010 "When we were aware there may be additional concerns, I asked the administration to contact parents again to see if there is any expectations from prior contact that have not been met. The Principal did so, and indicated the parents were satisfied that the situation had been handled. They told the Principal they had twittered Fox and had indicated that the situation had been handled. Secondly, there are 3,000 students in the district, 250 employees, and parents that go with the students. Every day there are many interactions that occur between all these individuals. As I indicated, this event occurred several weeks ago, and in that time there would be literally thousands of events large and small between the people involved with the school. This was one small event that did not even come to the level of my office. There is an informal and formal process that is used to resolve issues. The school administration and the parents did not view this as significant enough to bring it to the Superintendent’s office. Thank you for allowing me to clarify this situation". - Mike Brusa

santaritaschools.org...

So this all seems to have started from a twitter to Fox News.
So evidently, even the local news report I watched seems to have based their information on the initial Fox News report. Too bad the teacher wasn't named in the article and sought out for an interview.

[edit on 5/11/2010 by Sparky63]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Teacher Deems American Flag 'Offensive'

www.foxnewsradio.com

The battle over the American flag has reached a middle school art class in California’s Santa Rita School District where a student was told not to draw Old Glory because it was “offensive,” but another student — in the same class – was praised for drawing a picture of President Obama.

Tracy Hathaway, of Salinas, CA, told FOX News Radio her 13-year-old daughter was ordered to stop drawing the American flag by an art teacher at Gavilan View Middle School.

“She had drawn the flag and was sk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.associatedcontent.com

And?

From your source:

Mike Brusa, the superintendent of schools, told FOX in a written statement that he had contacted the principal and that the issue “was taken care of to their (the parent’s) satisfaction.”

“The school administration and the parents did not view this as significant enough to bring it to the superintendent’s office,”
he wrote.

How about we stop being outraged on the behalf of people who aren't?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

But the parents were outraged enough to twitter FOX about it?

Of course, the school board is going to issue a statement saying that everyone's satisfied with the situation to minimize the press.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
the song says
'GOD BLESS AMERICA" for a reason folk's.

But it's not our national anthem. And besides, it's a peace song, yet it somehow keeps getting used by war-supporting jingoists:

In 1938, with the rise of Hitler, Berlin, who was Jewish, and a first-generation European immigrant, felt it was time to revive it as a "peace song", and it was introduced on an Armistice Day broadcast in 1938 sung by Kate Smith, on her radio show.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD....ring a bell anyone?

Yeah. It was added to the pledge in the 1950s. Does that mean the country was worse off in WWII and prior?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by CowPatty
reply to post by prionace glauca

Sounds like maybe this Administration should list the Teachers Union as a possible terrorist organization that wants to overthrow the US government.

I'm all for that.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
There was a project at my High school when I was a Junior where the art class where to make some nifty art work and they put a piece of paper next to it for comments in the hall way.

Mind you the art students where allowed to express themselves freely and the art could be anything they wanted.

Most students did sculptures but one of them made a mosaic of Jesus's face. It was very nicely done and it was obvious a lot of work went into it. It was desecrated by the end of the week.

Sure it's an expression of religion but a personal one, as art work, and not in anyway infringing on anyone.

The kids spit on it, and ripped it down, tore it apart, stomped on it and wrote all kinds of profanity on this girl's "comment paper".

She was in tears (to say the least). No one was ever punished for it.

Anyway I told this story because it is kind of a similar idea.

To what lengths should the system or peers be able to limit the individual expression of a student?

What kind of country have we become!?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

reply to post by mothershipzeta

But the parents were outraged enough to twitter FOX about it?

Protip: attention whores and lovers of victimhood will ALWAYS seek out the news.

“My daughter felt like her rights were being trampled on – she was doing what she thought was right.” she said. “It’s disturbing. It really is disturbing. When I was in junior high we didn’t have a lot of the problems they are having now. We were allowed to speak our mind. It’s absolutely devastating for me. Last time I looked, this is America. This is still a free country.”

This just in: schools censor students CONSTANTLY. From telling them what they can and can't wear, to telling them they have to have hair a certain length and can't have facial hair, to what they can and can't publish in the school paper. Hell, the SC ruled not that long ago that a school can suspend a kid for a sign he displayed off campus.

"When I was in junior high we didn’t have a lot of the problems they are having now." Let's see...when the mom was in junior high school...based on the kid's age, that wold have been the 90s, right? So, under Bill Clinton everything was great. Good to get that endorsement.

Of course, the school board is going to issue a statement saying that everyone's satisfied with the situation to minimize the press.

You're making an assumption. How about sticking with what we know?

Arguing facts not in evidence SHOULD be abhorrent on ATS.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I thank god everyday that I don't live in USA

No, seriously speaking you American's should have higher standards for teachers and general public education. It's somewhat sad and tragic. For example some Americans think that there are polar bears in Finland when they come here (Not too many,but still makes bad impression). (Had summer job as Guide...)
From another hand I think art teachers are odd everywhere around the world. We had in High School art teacher, whom ordered us to do extra drawings if we were late even one minute. Not exactly by the book, according to other teachers policies. Not to mention teacher in middle school, whom was Lesbian and smelled like citrus. (Not that I have anything against it...but in Finland it's not that common)

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
There was a project at my High school when I was a Junior where the art class where to make some nifty art work and they put a piece of paper next to it for comments in the hall way.

Mind you the art students where allowed to express themselves freely and the art could be anything they wanted.

Most students did sculptures but one of them made a mosaic of Jesus's face. It was very nicely done and it was obvious a lot of work went into it. It was desecrated by the end of the week.

Sure it's an expression of religion but a personal one, as art work, and not in anyway infringing on anyone.

The kids spit on it, and ripped it down, tore it apart, stomped on it and wrote all kinds of profanity on this girl's "comment paper".

She was in tears (to say the least). No one was ever punished for it.

Anyway I told this story because it is kind of a similar idea.

To what lengths should the system or peers be able to limit the individual expression of a student?

What kind of country have we become!?

What kid of a country have we always been?

Let me know when you find a time in history that kids weren't picked on and schools didn't censor students. A time when ideas "different from the norm" were accepted and embraced by the authorities.

I'm growing tired of the vast majority of this country wallowing in victimhood, whining that they're oppressed. When Benny Hinn gets taken in for fraud and "for profit" churches are taxed, then you'll have something to complain about. But the rest of us will be happy that justice is finally being done.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
Not that I want to "worship" the flag as some do I do respect the fact that it can be seen as a symbol of America (though a better symbol should be the Constitution). I am not sure how the teacher sees it as offensive unless of course there are many immigrants in the class. If that is the case they should get used to seeing the flag as they are living in the country.

As for the teacher I think maybe she should be deported to some place she finds less offensive.

Raist

Huh? WTH are you talking about why do you always have to turn things into an anti-immigrant thing? when it has nothing to do with that. I read the story and I didn't see sh@t about that and another thing the teacher in this story was probably saying the art work of the flag was offensive because of what was writen "God Bless America" not the flag it self.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Risen

HR1388 was just passed by Congress. The Give Act. And I didn't get it from Fox News. I don't watch tv. It is more than just kids. I believe it involves adults also, but haven't read the bill or actually, anything about it.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join