It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
Why should any foreigner take offense to this?

What makes you think they were foreigners?

What is WRONG with being patriotic whatever day of the year it is?

Not a thing. But these kids weren't simply being patriotic. They were making a statement. A negative statement toward Mexico and Mexicans. They planned it ahead of time. From everything I've read, I'd have to conclude that they were trying to cause trouble. And it's the school's responsibility to make sure no trouble manifested.

Originally posted by piddles
Most of the people who keep posting about the kids having the right to wear American flag related clothing probably haven't been in school in at least 15 years and don't understand normal kids don't wear nationalistic clothing usually unless they're being ironic.

Very good point.

These kids weren't saying, "I'm proud of my country", they were saying something much more menacing and disturbing.

I still think the teachers should have made it a teaching moment about the First Amendment and being offended, but they screwed up. It’s not the end of the world, however.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Sorry, Double post

[edit on 5/6/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by DelMar
It's not about it being "one damn day", it's about this pc crap running amuck in the U.S. I'm offended that people get so easily offended. We might as well make the list:

No American flags on Cinco de Mayo, we might offend Latinos

No Christmas break, Christmas Trees, Nativity scenes, we might offend non religious people

No Columbus day parade, we might offend Native Americans

No 4th if July celebration, we might offend people from Great Britain

No Veterans Day, we might offend people that are against war

Anyone else care to add to the list ...

Yes, Logic Day, can't use any useful logic. Oops, that looks like today.

Really, those examples are quite inane.

Ok, but do you not think that there was something in the principal's head saying, "Oh I hope those boys don't offend the others celebrating Cinco de Mayo".

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

"Not a thing. But these kids weren't simply being patriotic. They were making a statement. A negative statement toward Mexico and Mexicans. They planned it ahead of time. From everything I've read, I'd have to conclude that they were trying to cause trouble. And it's the school's responsibility to make sure no trouble manifested."

That has got to be one of the most absurd statements I have ever read! Wow what a genius wearing the national flag is making a statement. Damn right it is making a statement! The day it is seen as a problem or an offence when worn displayed in the country it represents FOR WHAT EVER REASON is the day we need a huge house cleaning!

If they want to make sure no trouble manifests then tell the damn anti-Americans to keep thier symbols at home! You don't go denegrating our country cause it might offend these ingreats by wearing our national symbol.

These damnable commies make me sick! ^%$#@^&*

[edit on 6-5-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Ok, but do you not think that there was something in the principal's head saying, "Oh I hope those boys don't offend the others celebrating Cinco de Mayo".

That's exactly what the OP's source said.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I don't know if this was discussed but, I wonder what would have happened if these students wore the shirts on a different day?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Why do some people create such emotional attachments to a bit of cloth with some colours on it?

I wonder what would happen if I walked around any American street with an Iranian flag on my t-shirt. Or an Iraqi flag. In any other western country probably not very much.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Isn't this supposed to be a free country? Bottom line is they shouldn't have been sent home. They weren't wearing anything with profanity or naked chicks.

This wasn't right but in my opinion the kids were trying to be a**holes. It was immature, regardless.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
It's on MSNBC right now, so it's hit the major news sources.

Here's more on the story:

"There was a lot of drama going on today," one student uninvolved in the confrontation told South Valley Newspapers.
Later in the day, the school district issued a statement criticizing the Live Oak administrators' handling of the situation: "In an attempt to foster a spirit of cultural awareness and maintain a safe and supportive school environment, the Live Oak High School administration took certain actions earlier today. The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions."
Superintendent Wesley Smith released the following statement:

The Morgan Hill Unified School District does not prohibit nor do we discourage wearing patriotic clothing. The incident on May 5 at Live Oak High School is extremely unfortunate. While campus safety is our primary concern and administrators made decisions yesterday in an attempt to ensure campus safety, students should not, and will not, be disciplined for wearing patriotic clothing. This matter is under investigation and appropriate action will be taken.

Source

[edit on 5/6/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I personally don't care if the students planned it in advance or did it to make a statement. Kids make statements all the time. And this isn't a matter of them wearing embossed Swastika's on their clothing.

It was the 'American colors' that were mentioned as being offensive.

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

I don't know what to say to help others realize the lunacy of all this if they don't see it on their own.

As if the American flag is so divisive, so horrific, so offensive...

Why the five boys felt the need to make the statement- I don't know. Cinco De Mayo, NIOSA, Fiesta, and all the other Hispanic-heritage based festivities go off without a hitch down here in Texas and we all have a ball together.

But this isn't a swastika or an upside down Mexican flag. This isn't anything that should be deemed as offensive in this country... ever.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

That's exactly what the OP's source said.

I was asking what you believe. If it is because of not wanting to offend someone, then why is it so illogical to see how this leads to other holidays, events or whatever being changed so we don't offend. That's what I was getting at.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
We are talking about school here. Not what somebody wore, really, and who might have been offended.

School is for learning.

Wear your damn t-shirt anywhere else, but don't disrupt people that are at school for a purpose.

This school obviously doesn't enforce uniforms, which I strongly believe in, but then again it was up to the school to expect this sort of thing.

Can you imagine the outrage that would have shown up if they sent a flyer home with students telling them that US flag t-shirst were not acceptable on this day?

Clearly, once again, these kids did this to antagonize.

I'm sure any other day of the week, they would never have considered wearing a flag to school.

The correct punishement in my opinion, would be to make these kids wear them to school everyday. Not just on Cinco de Mayo!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001
Why do some people create such emotional attachments to a bit of cloth with some colours on it?

I wonder what would happen if I walked around any American street with an Iranian flag on my t-shirt. Or an Iraqi flag. In any other western country probably not very much.

Oh please cut the self righteous crap. Yeah we get your into Buddhism and detachment and all that. It has nothing to do with the cloth it has to do with what it represents. It represents great sacrifice for freedom. Yeah we have our problems and they get more serious by the day however that doesn't erase all the good and establishment of freedom unlike the world had ever seen before that the flag represents.

Maybe your enlightened and have managed to detach from the worlds of form and all of that but the rest of us unwashed have to live in it till we become enlightened. Buddah tried to relieve suffering and freedom goes a long way in doing the for the common man. So unless you can raise your hand and change the dream for everyone like Buddah then get off your high horse and realize people have to deal with this world of form pragmatically.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I live in the area, and Morgan Hill is not a predominately Mexican community. I doubt if Mexicans make up a majority of the schools student body. A large Mexican American student body is a vague term. I would bet that Mexicans are still a minority there. Mprgan Hill is actually outside of the larger bay area, kind of a bedroom community with expense homes. Chances are that there are more Asians than Mexicans.

It is not some threat by the Mexican American students, it is the school system itself, with its overly sensitive PC/multicultural agenda that lead to this incident. That two of the kids were Mexican Americans tells more about this incident than anything.

The real problem is the agenda of the school system that is shoving PC down everyone's throats. These schools are encouraging racism. This needs to stop. I hope the parents sue the school district.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
And this isn't a matter of them wearing embossed Swastika's on their clothing.

That is as protected as the American flag. We can't start saying that some speech is OK but other is not.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that the kids should have been permitted to wear their flags. But the flag should not be any more protected than the swastika.

As if the American flag is so divisive, so horrific, so offensive...

On Cinco Do Mayo, I can totally understand how it could be seen to be divisive. I think that's the statements the kids wanted to make.

Why the five boys felt the need to make the statement- I don't know.

There's a lot about this that we don't know. What's the history with these kids? What are Hispanic American relations like in the school? Have they ever had trouble of this nature before? We just don't know.

But this isn't a swastika or an upside down Mexican flag.

Free speech doesn't care what it is. These are as protected as the American flag in this country.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I was asking what you believe.

I have no problem with this. Like I said, diversity builds nations.

If it is because of not wanting to offend someone, then why is it so illogical to see how this leads to other holidays, events or whatever being changed so we don't offend.

That's already happening. Remember "Happy Holidays"? I DO have a problem with that. Come December I'll wish you a Merry Christmas.

Aside from that, we're adding one, not deleting any existing ones.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
I hope the parents sue the school district.

The school district disagrees with the decision of the school official. Read my post earlier on this page.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Just a quick aside, but wearing clothing (or bandanas) with the American flag on them is actually a violation of the United States Flag code.

US Code TITLE 4, CHAPTER 1
§ 8. Respect for flag

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing.

I know this was not the reason for the principal’s actions, but I think it’s interesting to point out how commonly the flag is misused.

United States Flag Code, Cornell University

[edit for spelling]

[edit on 6-5-2010 by USAFJetTech]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAFJetTech
Just a quick aside, but wearing clothing (or bandanas) with the american flag on them is actually a violation of the United States Flag code.

US Code TITLE 4, CHAPTER 1
§ 8. Respect for flag

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing.

I know this was not the reason for the principles actions, but I think its interesting to point out how commonly the flag is misused.

United States Flag Code, Cornell University

This refers to using an actual flag as clothing. Having a patch or picture of an American flag on your shirt is quite acceptable.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

That is what they are saying publicly, but their real opinion is probably very different. Most likely they are now saying this because they realize this has gone too far, and they are protecting themselves.

Let's see if they do anything about it. People are only now starting to wake up the hypocrisy of the system.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join