It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I swear, sometimes they have the most insane teachers and principals at schools. A friend of mine once got suspended from school for being gay. He had photos of men kissing each other on his Myspace, the principal saw it, suspended him.

This is not surprising but it is pretty outrageous. These kids should indeed sue the hell out of the school.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauempire
This is pure insanity.I dont care if i sound like a racist.....all you mexicans...GO HOME.

Unless you want to respect OUR customs...OUR flag...OUR culture...and learn OUR language GO THE HECK HOME!!

THIS is why we need the arizona bill...and i dont even CARE that it might make racial profiling(which it most likely wont)possible...why? because we already profile everything else..why should race be any different?

Lets be honest...who are the majority of illegals in this country? What group of people comes flooding through the southern borders?

IF IT LOOKS AND SMELLS LIKE A RAT IT MUST BE A RAT!!

COMMEN SENSE!

WAKE UP AMERICA!

your entire nation your forefathers conquered will be stolen right from under your nose!!

And i dont care if any of you PC wackjob nazis report me.....it just proves to me your siding with THEM!

The foreign INVADERS. thats what it is..they come here and subvert our government at every turn.

They dont respect our laws...they get free handouts....IM TIRED OF IT!

I WANT THEM ALL OUT!!

Our flag represents everything about our country....and we cant fly it on our own soil BECAUSE WE HURT SOME NO BRAIN MEXICAN TEENAGERS FEELINGS!!

THE FOUNDING FATHERS ARE ROLLING IN THERE GRAVES!!

KICK THE BUMS OUT!! ALL OF THEM!

[edit on 6-5-2010 by tauempire]

I agree with this to a point. If a foreigner want's to come here to make a better life and is willing to do it legally, contribute to society and obey the laws then i'm fine with it, with the provision that we keep some kind of check on the amount of foreigners that come into the country. We only have so much room.

I for one am tired of white people being "racist" for doing THE SAME THINGS that other races do. I'm sure that's what some of the Hispanic kids were thinking or accusing even if only in their minds.

it's funny how they fly their flag with passion, blast the music, talk about how great mexico is and constantly take trips there to see their families, but they are all coming here.

As another poster said the learning of spanish is necessary to get alot of jobs in Cali. That is just showing that we are being forced to conform to another culture that CHOSE to come here, not forced. Now that being the case, WHY isn't it mandatory for them to learn english to get the jobs??? "that would be racist." is my guess. BS i say.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I think the vice-principal, whatever his/her intentions were, made an ignorant mistake. This actually instigates more hatred and racism. Furthermore, racism goes both ways, so he/she needs to practice what he's (seemingly) trying to preach.

It's a pity this is a VICE-PRINCIPAL who should be setting examples for the students and not causing more tension!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I used to work with a lot of Mexicans (brick mason). I would ask every year what the significance of Cinco de Mayo was and not one Mexican knew what the heck I was talking about (the bilinguals mind you). A sad day in Amerika indeed, when its citizens are treated this way over our own flag.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I remember kids who would do this in highschool. they'd do it deliberately to piss off the mexican kids at school, and they weren't just white.

edit: most people just ignored it.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by piddles]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm not white

But it humors me how so many cultures around the world are so quick to play the race card against caucasian people and then stereotype them when they get the chance. Anything that is said back in retaliation is then deemed "racist."

Anyway, back to the story. Despite whether these kids were trying to incite violence or make a point, it shouldn't matter. The fact of the matter is that they were denied the right to wear what they wanted (because people were offended).

I'm pretty sure most of those kids who were offended don't even KNOW what the hell Cinco de Mayo is celebrating. All they know is that it's the 5th of May...in Spanish so it MUST be important to their mexican-AMERICAN heritage.

You have the right to celebrate as I have a right to not give a damn about your celebration.

Those kids have a right to be proud to show their love for the USA and make a statement saying YOU ARE IN AMERICA just as much as those kids have a right to celebrate their Holiday.

I'm pretty sure they're sick of having to learn Spanish to appease for their non-english speaking peers too.

I'm of asian descent and hell, as proud as I am to be whatever ethnicity I am, I am definitely proud to be an American as well. I would gladly wear BOTH flags if i could.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
its everywhere you go last night at work all they had in cafeteria was spanish food and fake marquritas for us to drink . to honor mexican independence day may fith company wording not mine which is funny because company laid off half of mexican labour force last year and for each one they let go replaced them with 2 Burmese coran refugees right now we have 30 mexican employees 150 Burmese rest american

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
How can you say this? you dont even know what you are talking about and it sounds like you are instigating. these kids can wear their flag anytime they want, same and I or any other american.

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
Yes it sounds crazy but i think the principal was concerned that the kids were going to get the S beat out of them. If there are a majority of Spanish kids in the school and the white boys stood up to them it would not be pretty.

They were probably looking for trouble, looking to start a fight like a lot of people on this forum are. Some people will do anything to start a fight.

Again i don't know if i agree with how it was handled but i think the principal was looking out for the kids.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ptenjakin

something I think you're forgetting, kids don't have any sort of rights in highschool, beyond things that protect from violence. We weren't allowed to wear hats at school. Whatever the principal says in terms of rules, goes.

perfectly normal thing to wear a hat, doesn't have any kind of national association. Just because it's an American flag doesn't mean people need to get all worked up or start throwing the SUE word around.

I think school districts are broke enough, thanks.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
In the CA Bay Area (sadly, but of course) High school students wearing the American Flag on their tee shirts on "Cinco de Mayo" were told to go home and change or face suspension.

article

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

Seriously, isn't THIS the kind of thing the ACLU should be pursuing???

This IS the United States and our flag is LEGALLY supposed to fly above all others.

Pass the mayo? After this, I'd rather pour it down the sinko ...

(Pssst! I understand spanish and I get it.)

[edit on 5/6/2010 by centurion1211]

Not to be politically correct but this is AMERICA, not the U.S. If you do not know the difference, you need to go back to school too!!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

edit: I let myself get baited by GIT THEM MEXICANZ OUT, never again

[edit on 6-5-2010 by piddles]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Why is everyone getting bent out of shape? Did you guys read the OP's source?

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

Was he correct? Possibly:

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

Why the beef? Because they are of Mexican heritage. No mention that they are illegals. Just of Mexican heritage. One day out of 365? C'mon, what's the harm in allowing people to celebrate their heritage? Who are we going to diss next. The Irish and St. Paddy's Day? What about Black History Month?

Really? I don't see how wearing a flag is infringing upon someones ability to celebrate their heritage. How are the people of Mexican heritage being dissed when attending a school in America and seeing someone wearing an American flag?

Hopefully the school didn't do something even more stupid like serving spaghetti in the cafeteria

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I fail to see exactly how an American citizen wearing the American flag in his own country could possibly be considered offensive. Was the school flying the American flag on the flagpole that day?

And where is the outrage at the intolerance of the children threatening harm to the ones wearing the American flag? So intolerance is OK, unless you are Caucasian? The hypocrisy here is deafening.

The irony here is that those kids could have worn French flags and no one would have given them a second glance...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Why is everyone getting bent out of shape? Did you guys read the OP's source?

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

Was he correct? Possibly: But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal.

They say they were offended by the five boys a wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

I mean no disrespect, but Excuse me? Intrepid, it is a big deal! Last time I looked California was part of the United states of AMERICA not MEXICO!!

If these students have a problem with Americans wanting to display their Heritage, then they can hi tail it back to Mexico, display their Tee shirts, and get their education and shelter there!!

This PC crap is why the USA is in the toilet today! We have bowed and pandered to this type of thing enough!!

RIDICULOUS!! To think these 5 boys did something wrong reminds of the fops who believe criminals have more rights than law abiding citizens.

Any Administrator with one ounce of integrity would have stood up for these boys and applauded them. What cowards we have educating our youth today!

Thanks,
Pax

[edit on 6-5-2010 by paxnatus]

link   

Originally posted by Anjin
reply to post by centurion1211

Agreed about the ACLU and it will be interesting to see if they take this on or not. I would put my money on a big fat NO.

Northern California's slogan should be "We're Americans and we hate ourselves for it"

Its hard to stereotype a whole region of this (once) great state, but I see your point.

Its always in the coastal communities where people are so sensitive to immigrants. Maybe its because the coast areas are predominately liberal?

If you go inland up in NorCal, you'll find it turns pretty conservative pretty quick. There are areas near where my cousin lives, where its still 99% white folks, and they pretty much run any other race out of town. Not purposefully of course, but its sometimes obvious when you're out of place in a community.

Why should the AMERICAN FLAG be out of place on any day? In fact, May 5th is when we should be even more patriotic IMO. Since the day is symbolic for Mexican freedom, it should remind us of our struggle for freedom in this country, and the prospect that after 200 years we are clearly still fighting an uphill battle to retain liberty and the right to wear a damn flag to school.

Am I the only one who is so sick of all this political correctness and sensitivity? Its been taken way too far. Its fine to be PC when its about respecting others, but when its also repressing citizens of this country, then we need to re-evaluate the circumstance.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

link   

Double Post. Apologies

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

While not being one to speculate, it isn't hard to imagine the attitude of these boys. Judging by the responses in the source and the attitudes displayed here, one could say they were looking to stir things up. That said, merely speculation.

As I said previously, it's ONE damn day. Where's the harm? And who's next? Irish, Blacks, etc. Btw, these Spanish speaking kids are AMERICANS. I didn't see anything in the article that mentioned them as illegals. You know that if they had been it would have been all over the news.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by piddles
reply to post by Ptenjakin

something I think you're forgetting, kids don't have any sort of rights in highschool, beyond things that protect from violence. We weren't allowed to wear hats at school. Whatever the principal says in terms of rules, goes.

perfectly normal thing to wear a hat, doesn't have any kind of national association. Just because it's an American flag doesn't mean people need to get all worked up or start throwing the SUE word around.

I think school districts are broke enough, thanks.

I see your point, but when should an American flag be put on the restricted dress code list?

Every school I ever went to always proudly flew the US flag in front, as well as the Californian flag. So, did that school take down their American flag that day and fly a Mexican one? If so, to me thats borderline treason.

If people dont want to see the American flag, than this is probably not the right country for you.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
..... Just when I thought people couldn't get any dumber this guy comes along, does this and proves me wrong.

I have nothing more to say.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

but see, it't not a permanent thing. From the perspective of a kid, it's kind of lame to wear the American flag around. Most children wouldn't wear one if they didn't have to. Which leads to my next point:

They didn't have to wear articles of clothing with a flag on it that day, it just seems so planned. If they wore America related things everyday I doubt this would be a problem.

you don't think there's the slightest bit of intention?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join