It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Wouldn't they need to be legal and/or a US citizen to be enrolled as a student at this school? If not, someone isn't doing their paperwork properly.

I work in a college here in the UK and if a "foreigner" wants to enrol, they have to provide evidence that they are eligable.

If they are illegal, then who cares about their feelings? They shouldn't be in the country in the first place!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
So basically, white students (one half Latino) were discriminated against for wearing American flags. As if there is some rule against one wearing an American flag on certain Holidays. Especially when its a largely American Holiday. This is going way too far and I hope these kids stand firm.

I recommend you all call and leave a message for the VP:

liveoakhs.ca.campusgrid.net...

(408) 201-6100

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I had read this article early this morning & it simply infuriated me. Mexicans should not be offended by the American flag being displayed/worn on their holiday. Their parents brought them to this country why? They are allowed to attend schools in the country why?

How come it's not offensive to speak english during Cinco de Mayo?

If they are offended of americans displaying their pride of this country, they need to go back to where they came from because they obviously aren't happy to be here. What happened to our ancestors who came to this country from Ireland, Russia, Italy, etc. & felt special to be able to live here & learn our customs & the language? Nothing makes sense anymore.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Serves these kids right! That's what happens when you live in the greater San Francisco area. Shame on their parents for even letting the kids out of the house with such trash displayed on their T Shirts...

Whew! now that I got that out of the way. Pardon the sarcasm. This absolutely outrages me
I'd love to see what other types of Tshirts were on display that day. Far worse than an American flag I'm sure.

The ACLU better come to the rescue or I'm calling foul! The California nanny state has gone to far. I know this was isolated to a specific school but this action is a direct reflection of California politics. I vote for California to be the first state to secede from the nation.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by jibeho]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I do agree that the principle was probably just trying to keep the peace, but he was doing that in TOTALLY the wrong way. He should have explained to everyone that the freedom of expression is alive and well in the USA, and used the opportunity as a teaching moment for ALL students. Instead, he wasted the opportunity and pandered to those who were "offended". This is a huge problem and the ACLU should definitely be involved.

I also agree that the students who wore the flag were trying to make a statement that might not be popular with everyone. Come on, you don't think it was an accident for all of them to wear the flag on the same day that just HAPPENED to be a Mexican Holiday, do you? Still, it's their right. And should have been upheld and protected.

This kind of crap happens way too much! This shouldn't just rest.

ETA: This isn't about the Mexicans or the Mexican kids. I don't like how many posts seem to blame this on them. They are allowed to be offended and to complain. They have the rights, too. This is about the principle, who turned his back on the First Amendment. Whomever made the decision made a huge mistake and should be made aware of it.

[edit on 5/6/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
What sad times we live in when wearing an American flag tee-shirt in AMERICA is insulting. We are truely lost as a nation.

Excuse me while I vomit.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

What does that say about the kids if he was worried about keeping the peace? Did he think that the White kids were going to start trouble, or that the Mexicans were going to? One of the things that kids are supposed to learn in school is how to effectively deal with our freedoms, such as freedom of speech and accept that folks can express themselves in ways that you don't like. Oh, I forgot, they don't have those libertys in Mexico and hence they really don't factor in.

The one kid's last name is Galli and he is likely of Italian decent. I wonder what would have happened if he had a shirt with an Italian flag. I'm thinking nothing.

Not unlike children, where every day is "children's day" with the illegals, everyday is Mexican Dependence Day since they are dependent on the legal residents of this country.

Be interesting if a bunch of American kids photocopied their birth certificates and wore them around their necks in a laynard to school.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I would like to point out that 2 of the kids were half white and half mexican.

It angers me that we allow this to happen in our country. I don't see this in any other country except England with the muslim's that are taking over.

I don't know when but I hope more people start waking up and looking around to see what is really happening to the United States.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo

Wouldn't they need to be legal and/or a US citizen to be enrolled as a student at this school? If not, someone isn't doing their paperwork properly.

I work in a college here in the UK and if a "foreigner" wants to enrol, they have to provide evidence that they are eligable.

If they are illegal, then who cares about their feelings? They shouldn't be in the country in the first place!

They don't have to be legal, or even speak English in California, most of the teachers here are bilingual. Also, alot of jobs in California require you be bilingual if you have to talk with customers on a regular basis.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
JUST speaking of the law, not morality here...

Source

If there is a reasonably predictable likelihood (not just a bare conjecture) that speech or expressive conduct will cause substantial disruption — which is not clear under these facts — then the school may legally restrict it without violating the First Amendment. That’s the holding of Tinker v. Des Moines Indep. Community School Dist. (1969).

From Tinker vs Des Moines:

After an evidentiary hearing the District Court dismissed the complaint. It upheld the constitutionality of the school authorities' action on the ground that it was reasonable in order to prevent disturbance of school discipline.

So, if there really was a fear that a fight would break out - and I believe, considering we're talking about testosterone-laden high school boys whose passions run high, in effect, competing for a "win", that that's a distinct possibility - then I can see how this school might be within the LAW. And I can understand the ACLU not taking the case. They would probably lose.

However, I still think it should have been handled as a teaching opportunity and not brushed under the rug to avoid hurt feelings, while catering to people's sensibilities.

[edit on 5/6/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If the situation was such that they were fearful that the wearing of an American flag on a public school in this country would cause violence on Cinco de Mayo then the appropriate response would have been to cancel the Cinco de Mayo celebration.

Do they celebrate the liberation of South Vietnam or South Korea? There must be kids with that ancestory in school. Do they celebrate the French Revolution? The Russian revolution? The establishment of democracy in Germany and Japan? Why not?

The only way to end this nonsense is to treat folks the same, period. If that offends Mexicans, let them go to Mexico or pony up the dough to create a charter/private school where the mores, values and history of Mexico can be exposure at a level where other cultures which are represented in this country and undoubtably in that school are not.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This is just another reason why school uniforms are a good idea.

Whether or not the kids wearing a flag did it on purpose, to cause a problem, the school saw it that way.

Children should be at school to learn, and are far too young to be making a political statement, in my opinion. Even if this was high school.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is pure insanity.I dont care if i sound like a racist.....all you mexicans...GO HOME.

Unless you want to respect OUR customs...OUR flag...OUR culture...and learn OUR language GO THE HECK HOME!!

THIS is why we need the arizona bill...and i dont even CARE that it might make racial profiling(which it most likely wont)possible...why? because we already profile everything else..why should race be any different?

Lets be honest...who are the majority of illegals in this country? What group of people comes flooding through the southern borders?

IF IT LOOKS AND SMELLS LIKE A RAT IT MUST BE A RAT!!

COMMEN SENSE!

WAKE UP AMERICA!

your entire nation your forefathers conquered will be stolen right from under your nose!!

And i dont care if any of you PC wackjob nazis report me.....it just proves to me your siding with THEM!

The foreign INVADERS. thats what it is..they come here and subvert our government at every turn.

They dont respect our laws...they get free handouts....IM TIRED OF IT!

I WANT THEM ALL OUT!!

Our flag represents everything about our country....and we cant fly it on our own soil BECAUSE WE HURT SOME NO BRAIN MEXICAN TEENAGERS FEELINGS!!

THE FOUNDING FATHERS ARE ROLLING IN THERE GRAVES!!

KICK THE BUMS OUT!! ALL OF THEM!

[edit on 6-5-2010 by tauempire]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

i would tell the guard im not going nowhere, have him force me to do something, and sue the hell out of him and the school for this BS this is just pure BS. we do have freedom of expression(for now) and i would totally disobey

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tauempire

trust me, illegals are not your problem. there's way more dangerous enemies in DC. and they WILL steal the land and all your freedoms your forefathers fought for while you complain about the illegals.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by ponyboyats]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ponyboyats

trust me, illegals are not your problem. there's way more dangerous enemies in DC. and they WILL steal the land and all your freedoms your forefathers fought for while you complain about the illegals.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by ponyboyats]

Unlike many people i can multitask on threats.While there are bigger problems in washington on the SHORT term...long term this will turn into a big problem unless you nip it in the bud NOW.

How can any of you be on here siding with the school??

forget school rules for even a second(which dont prohibit this for even a second).

WE ARE IN AMERICA.

AND WE CANT FLY OUR NATIONAL FLAG??!! BECAUSE WE HURT SOME TEENAGERS FEELINGS?

why? does that sound right to you??

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

no, in the post above the one you replied to i said how much bs that is. i was just saying an offtopic thought directed at your offtopic rant. but yea, there will be no america by the time the banksters and pole-a-ticians are done with it.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

i remember they tried to enforce uniforms in our school back in the days. lol. everyone just said hell no and didnt wear em. cant expell everyone. and whats wrong with kids making political statements? they will one day grow up to be men.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

In which case the students that were expelled have the right to sue on the basis that the celebration of Cinco De Mayo and the express forbidding of wearing and honoring the American Flag is grounds for reverse discrimination as they can claim that the act was a form of repression against their rights and the school did not honor them in that way.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
If the situation was such that they were fearful that the wearing of an American flag on a public school in this country would cause violence on Cinco de Mayo then the appropriate response would have been to cancel the Cinco de Mayo celebration.

That's hindsight. The school officials didn't predict that some students would take this opportunity to send a message. There are several appropriate responses that could have been taken. You choose one option, they chose another. I don't agree with theirs, but they had no way of knowing. And like it or not, NO students should get away with bullying or intimidating other students. I don't know if that's what happened here, but that's the problem. We don't have all the facts.

Originally posted by tauempire
I dont care if i sound like a racist....

Well, that's good.

THE FOUNDING FATHERS ARE ROLLING IN THERE GRAVES!!

After listening to that rant, I don't doubt it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join