It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
@ intrepid,

one day is a big deal. How about if some non christians get mad that people are worshiping god and they say how about you stop showing that you believe in god, and do it on dec 25th, heck that's one day. I know kind of extreme example, but it is as you put it is just "one damn day"

If you are for a world government, that is your right. The day you cannot honor YOUR COUNTRY in YOUR COUNTRY something is soo wrong.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thinline
@ intrepid,

one day is a big deal. How about if some non christians get mad that people are worshiping god and they say how about you stop showing that you believe in god, and do it on dec 25th, heck that's one day. I know kind of extreme example, but it is as you put it is just "one damn day"

We're talking about May 5th, not December 25th. There is no comparison.

If you are for a world government, that is your right. The day you cannot honor YOUR COUNTRY in YOUR COUNTRY something is soo wrong.

Why did they feel the need to honor their country on this day? Is this what they normally wear or was it obvious to the students that this was more a protest that it was an honoring of ones country. We weren't there.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yeah! One Damn Day!! Why should any foreigner take offense to this? I never said one thing about them being illegals!

Just because I said they can take their arse back to wherever they came, and i did say Mexico [ it 's relevant to the story], doesn't mean I was saying they were here illegally! You are really putting your own spin on this.

What is WRONG with being patriotic whatever day of the year it is?

How much wrath would an American, attending school in Iran receive if they were to sport a tee shirt of the American Flag on Independence Day in that country?

None, right? HA!! What would your stance be then?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
Just because I said they can take their arse back to wherever they came...

The thing is that they are from AMERICA.

What is WRONG with being patriotic whatever day of the year it is?

None whatsoever. I pointed out another 364 days that that could be done.

How much wrath would an American, attending school in Iran receive if they were to sport a tee shirt of the American Flag on Independence Day in that country?

None, right? HA!! What would your stance be then?

I don't know, do you? A rather long stretch of the imagination one would think though.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

uh mexico and Iran are world's apart in terms of difference, I'd use another metaphor.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Just more pandering to hispanics. It's a damn shame when in America you can't wear the symbol of your country and yet others can proudly wear the one of theirs. I don't give a damn about whether or not it upset some of them, this is America, not Mexico. As far s starting a figtht over it, if the hispanic little thugs can't control themselves, maybe they shouldn't be in that school....better yet, arrest them for a hate crime........oops forgot, that only happens to white males........EPIC FAIL

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by piddles

See, this is what I find so perplexing; no one on this thread seems to think there was the slightest bit of "intent" on the part of all these students wearing Mexican flags? For God's sakes, the story said one girl showed up to school with her face painted. WTF?

I've seen many Corona sponsored Cinco De Mayos come and go; two things I've noticed after reading this. One, very few have the slightest clue that its celebrating one small victory of the Mexican Army over the French the day before the French came back and laid down a serious arse whuppin'. Two, at no point before the AZ legislation was passed and California threatened to boycott have I ever heard of students showing up to school dressed like it was the World Cup and Mexico was in the quarterfinals - even if it was Cinco De Mayo.

You say intent? I say it was displayed by both sides in this argument and if one group should've been sent home for brandishing a flag, everyone else should have been... this is high school. No one has rights in high school. Not white kids, not hispanics.

This is either hypocrisy or cowardice on the part of the school administration, and I'm not sure which is more telling...

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

What does it say on the Statue of LIBERTY?

“Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free…” is the phrase inscribed on the statue of liberty and has been one of the founding principles that brought our ancestors here. My great grandparents made the incredible journey from Italy here so that they could have a better life and with that they brought with them their customs just as everyone else has, which has become the American tradition that we know today. Instead of turning away these people’s way of life our society embraced it giving us unique traditions.

www.suite101.com...

It doesn't say, "“Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free… unless you want to honor your heritage, then get out."

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauempire

THIS is why we need the arizona bill...and i dont even CARE that it might make racial profiling(which it most likely wont)possible...why? because we already profile everything else..why should race be any different?

IF IT LOOKS AND SMELLS LIKE A RAT IT MUST BE A RAT!!

Our flag represents everything about our country....and we cant fly it on our own soil BECAUSE WE HURT SOME NO BRAIN MEXICAN TEENAGERS FEELINGS!!

THE FOUNDING FATHERS ARE ROLLING IN THERE GRAVES!!

Your right about once thing the fouding fathers would be turing in their graves if we listened to racist morons that just like to rant about how amercan they are yet they don't know the first thing about it.

Why should we care about racial profiling? Because thats what our US constitutional rights protect us againts. And thats really what the founding forefathers really wanted. You can't just abolish the constitution and do whatever you consder american in your racist eyes. I bet your the same type of person that would support 3-4 white kids wearing KKK T-Shirts in a all black school. Yeah it's their right but is it really a good idea? Nope..

Kids are stupid they don't care about consititutional rights or anything all they care about is people trying to piss them off so they are going to do something aobut it, so I think the principal did what was right in making them change their shirts to avoid problems these kids would of just ended up in a fight or something stupid like that, it's better to just avoid it.

And just so you know mexicans don't give a crap about cinco de mayo it's pretty much a white holliday used as an excuse to get drunk and party just like saint patricks day do the irish really care about it? Nope! same thing.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by XNeMeSis21]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Please what in the hell does something placed on a gift from France have to do with todays problems? Everyone seems to try and excuse poor behavior and illegality based upon things from the past. Fact is, these people should be out of our school systmes. This sort of thing is just one example of the systematic failing of not only our school system, but society in general. Again.......not a white male, you are blameless in todays society. Apologists seem tio be the norm today, I fear they will soon reap what they sow.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well that's what happens when you send your kids to government re-education camps. Got to follow the rules and be good little subjects or be punished.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Please what in the hell does something placed on a gift from France have to do with todays problems?

It's a symbol of what America stands for and what built her. Diversity and acceptance builds nations.

Fact is, these people should be out of our school systmes. This sort of thing is just one example of the systematic failing of not only our school system, but society in general.

You want to kick Americans out of American schools?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2112
reply to post by piddles

See, this is what I find so perplexing; no one on this thread seems to think there was the slightest bit of "intent" on the part of all these students wearing Mexican flags? For God's sakes, the story said one girl showed up to school with her face painted. WTF?

I've seen many Corona sponsored Cinco De Mayos come and go; two things I've noticed after reading this. One, very few have the slightest clue that its celebrating one small victory of the Mexican Army over the French the day before the French came back and laid down a serious arse whuppin'. Two, at no point before the AZ legislation was passed and California threatened to boycott have I ever heard of students showing up to school dressed like it was the World Cup and Mexico was in the quarterfinals - even if it was Cinco De Mayo.

You say intent? I say it was displayed by both sides in this argument and if one group should've been sent home for brandishing a flag, everyone else should have been... this is high school. No one has rights in high school. Not white kids, not hispanics.

This is either hypocrisy or cowardice on the part of the school administration, and I'm not sure which is more telling...

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Legion2112]

I mean if it's a mexican celebration and mexicans came to school dressed in a way that acknowledges it, yes that was intentional but I doubt it was as spiteful. I don't really understand your argument, it was expected for kids to celebrate cinco de mayo, it was unexpected for kids to wear american flag clothing in an attempt to protest this.

Most of the people who keep posting about the kids having the right to wear American flag related clothing probably haven't been in school in at least 15 years and don't understand normal kids don't wear nationalistic clothing usually unless they're being ironic.

It's a bit more transparent for those of us who have been in this type of environment fairly recently.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
total crap and general BS.

I know

link   

Um, yup, if the little thugs can't control themselves, and have to resort to violence. Throw them out of scholl. Is that really a hard concept......schools have been dumbed down enough, why further take away from a persons education so that some dumb asses can celebrate another countries holiday on the tax payers dime? As someone else asked earlier, why not make this an example of civics and use it as a teching experience.......I think they did, they showed what America has become.

link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by paxnatus

While not being one to speculate, it isn't hard to imagine the attitude of these boys. Judging by the responses in the source and the attitudes displayed here, one could say they were looking to stir things up. That said, merely speculation.

As I said previously, it's ONE damn day. Where's the harm? And who's next? Irish, Blacks, etc. Btw, these Spanish speaking kids are AMERICANS. I didn't see anything in the article that mentioned them as illegals. You know that if they had been it would have been all over the news.

It's not about it being "one damn day", it's about this pc crap running amuck in the U.S. I'm offended that people get so easily offended. We might as well make the list:

No American flags on Cinco de Mayo, we might offend Latinos

No Christmas break, Christmas Trees, Nativity scenes, we might offend non religious people

No Columbus day parade, we might offend Native Americans

No 4th if July celebration, we might offend people from Great Britain

No Veterans Day, we might offend people that are against war

Anyone else care to add to the list ...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by XNeMeSis21

I agree with the last part, these holidays seem to lack anything genuine about them and seem to serve more a purpose for the alcohol industry anyway, and yes, I feel this way about independence day as well.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelMar
It's not about it being "one damn day", it's about this pc crap running amuck in the U.S. I'm offended that people get so easily offended. We might as well make the list:

No American flags on Cinco de Mayo, we might offend Latinos

No Christmas break, Christmas Trees, Nativity scenes, we might offend non religious people

No Columbus day parade, we might offend Native Americans

No 4th if July celebration, we might offend people from Great Britain

No Veterans Day, we might offend people that are against war

Anyone else care to add to the list ...

Yes, Logic Day, can't use any useful logic. Oops, that looks like today.

Really, those examples are quite inane.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by piddles
I remember kids who would do this in highschool. they'd do it deliberately to piss off the mexican kids at school, and they weren't just white.

edit: most people just ignored it.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by piddles]

It's true actually. Now I think about it, why would you go out and bother offending people? I know wearing American pride clothing is not wrong, but on Cinco de Mayo and in the situation the entire country is in with illegal immigration, why would you go out just to pi$$ off people?

Was the school going too far?

Or were these kids going too far is the better question.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
WHO CARES WHAT THEIR INTENT WAS FOR WEARING THE AMERICAN FLAG? Flip the scenario, a kid wearing a Mexican flag on the 4th of July would be a kid with the right to honor his heritage...but a kid wearing a US flag on a meaningless Mexican holiday is clearly a trouble maker. In one scenario ACLU and liberals would go the end of the earth the defend...in the other they have it coming to them for clearly causing trouble.

Reminds me of the reaction to the video of the white kid getting beat up on the bus by the black kid. Unbelievable the number of people that apologized for the black kid because of some misguided link of his actions to slavery and the oppression of blacks.

Again, who cares what their intent was? Until the kids with the US flags instigated something we should stand behind them and endorse their free speech. If a Mexican American kid has a problem with it...it's their problem. Can't even believe this has to be debated.

For many people in the US, patriotism now equals racism. The US flag in many people's minds is now a 'white people' flag. Just extend this sentiment out another 50 years and there is no country.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join