It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

i hate laws that use wording like "reasonable suspicion" etc. i mean all it is is a law based on one's opinion. what one person thinks reasonable might not be reasonable for another. this law crosses from legal to do whatever you want based on your opinion.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

One would expect a marginal level of public awareness on the part of school officials who are responsible for ensuring the safety of children while in school.

The immigration issue is a boiling point in this country at the moment and the some of the protests have had elements of violence. The probability that a day to celebrate the Mexican culture would not touch off some kind of issue would seem obvious.

My comment is naturally hindsight. I'm suggesting that the folks running this school should have used a bit of foresight here.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauempire

How can any of you be on here siding with the school??

I can, and quite easily. School is for learning, not to put out any sort of political statement.

AND WE CANT FLY OUR NATIONAL FLAG??!! BECAUSE WE HURT SOME TEENAGERS FEELINGS?

Teenagers only get to be teenagers once. They should be enjoying probably the only "freedom" they will ever get, before they are in the system droning away like all of their parents.

why? does that sound right to you??

These kids were out, in my opinion to cause trouble. If you think they are so patriotic, how many of them are is ROTC programs? They probably brought the opinions of their parents to school, and nothing more. How many of them are looking towards military enlistment and careers?

Quit trying to make this out to be a political issue, when it was in a school, where children are there, to learn.

I'm sure the school still had the American flag hanging out front, and in some of the classrooms.

Let kids be kids, without this crappola! Soon enough, they will all be in the system, for real!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Hello jibeho,

I always love your posts! This absolutely infuriates me! I mean my God, where do we live again? The good ole Amerimexicana??

Let's wait and see what the ACLU does here. My guess is absolutely nothing! And Sharpton will be screaming about school conduct, and following the "Dress Code" As if we would take fashion tips from him! LOL!

I disagree with this statement though.

I vote for California to be the first state to secede from the nation.

I would vote for California to be the first state to fall into the Pacific Ocean!!

[NO offense intended, some of my best friends live there]

Pax

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The American Flag should not be worn per the US Flag Code.
en.wikipedia.org...

With that being said, wow, that guy is teaching kids. Basically, the teacher is saying that the Americans kids should be embaressed and are bad people for rocking their flag...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I would vote for California to be the first state to fall into the Pacific Ocean!!

[NO offense intended, some of my best friends live there]

That was the first thought that entered my mind. A brand new island of misfits for the world to visit in amazement.

No offense to my friends who live in San Diego. I know you want to move but you are way to underwater on your mortgage to be able to sell.

Cheers!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
If you want to tell the school how you feel

Live Oak High School
1505 East Main Ave
Morgan Hill CA 95037
408-201-6100

or

Nicholas L. Boden
Principal
Live Oak High School
(408) 201-6101
[email protected]

link   
reply to post by Rowsdowerr

Funny! I did try however and his mailbox is Full!!

Too Bad, really wanted to leave him a nice friendly message!!!

link   
who cares. The world of abovetopsecret shouldn't revolve around bull articles like this. Show some respect to other countries. One day they will be the ones saving your sorry asses. I love Americans (some) but man I hate America and its superiority complex. America the land of the uneducated, over-opinionated, and fatter than anywhere else kinda of people. Go team.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Agreed about the ACLU and it will be interesting to see if they take this on or not. I would put my money on a big fat NO.

Northern California's slogan should be "We're Americans and we hate ourselves for it"

Centurion you are right on with this one. We are being scrubbed out as the leading race.
This world is getting beyond pathetic. God send us your soldiers

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
seriously, what happened to america?

edit to add, might as well call it Mexica

[edit on 6-5-2010 by conspiracydude]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Teenagers that have pride... hory sheet the Apocalypse "IS" near.

Run for the hills!!!!

The kids knew what they were doing, but sure as hell will never freeze over - no child wearing a mexican flag yesterday would have been removed from school. Lest that school be marched on by a group of people showing pride for a country they left for a better one.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
@ Maximus_Prime

showing respect is allowing people to wear whatever countries' colors and symbols they feel alegence to in your country. Even if they are not your color and symbols.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm a native Bay Area resident.

Personally, unless it can be definitively demonstrated that the intent of the students was to intentionally cause offense or incite hostility, I believe every student should be allowed to wear whatever they want (well, you know - short of nudity, inciting violence, etc.)

I don't even believe in nationalism, and I'm certainly not what people would consider a flag waving patriot by any means (that does not exclude love for the land of my birth, incidentally,) but I still do not feel that censoring something that could have easily been completely innocent (it's possible literally no thought went into it whatsoever in fact - lots of shirts have flags on them) is justified or fair. Keep in mind that I'm what most people would consider a "raving liberal hippie" and I'm still saying that.

That's just my opinion, though.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Why is everyone getting bent out of shape? Did you guys read the OP's source?

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

Was he correct? Possibly:

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

Why the beef? Because they are of Mexican heritage. No mention that they are illegals. Just of Mexican heritage. One day out of 365? C'mon, what's the harm in allowing people to celebrate their heritage? Who are we going to diss next. The Irish and St. Paddy's Day? What about Black History Month?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
Teenagers that have pride... hory sheet the Apocalypse "IS" near.

Run for the hills!!!!

The kids knew what they were doing, but sure as hell will never freeze over - no child wearing a mexican flag yesterday would have been removed from school. Lest that school be marched on by a group of people showing pride for a country they left for a better one.

Yes, and even though school is for learning.................

Once again another reason for school uniforms. This type of polictial baiting has no place in a school, done by students who knew what they were doing.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maximus_Prime
who cares. The world of abovetopsecret shouldn't revolve around bull articles like this. Show some respect to other countries. One day they will be the ones saving your sorry asses. I love Americans (some) but man I hate America and its superiority complex. America the land of the uneducated, over-opinionated, and fatter than anywhere else kinda of people. Go team.

And I hate Canada and its inferiority complex. If you don't care then why post? How is an American wearing a tee-shirt with an American flag in America disrepecting other countries?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Im not even sure that any mexican would have been offended by this.

It was all in the pricipals PC-fried mind.

After all he is in a divide and conquer position and thats his indoctrination.

Dont make this an issue Mexicans vs. Americans, its rather Principal vs. freedom of expression, you HAVE to be aware of that.

If this should raise nationalistic tendencies in people, the principal and his masters have won, dont let it come to that.

The best thing would have been to not change clothes, let the principal expell them, then sue him for denying Americans a basic right and get his butt kicked out.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
how did american dressed up wearing the colors and symbols of their nation stop someone from celebrating anything. When my 1/2 irishness goes out on st. patty's day, what other people wear is irrelevant. One of my fav shirts was rocked by a black guy(who I am guessing was not irish) and it was green and in white letters it said "kiss me I'm black"

I did not see if it mentioned what status the mexican kids were. If they were naturalized, the kids are saying that americas like themselves should not wear the american color and symbols in AMERICA. That is so perveretly sick it is not funny.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
[edit on 6-5-2010 by thinline]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join