It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+55 more 
posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
In the CA Bay Area (sadly, but of course) High school students wearing the American Flag on their tee shirts on "Cinco de Mayo" were told to go home and change or face suspension.

article

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

Seriously, isn't THIS the kind of thing the ACLU should be pursuing???

This IS the United States and our flag is LEGALLY supposed to fly above all others.

Pass the mayo? After this, I'd rather pour it down the sinko ...

(Pssst! I understand spanish and I get it.)

[edit on 5/6/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

It seems rather over sensitive by some doo gooder... can't say I ever agree with that type of thing.. what a strange world we live in... definatly upside down..

+18 more 
posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Agreed about the ACLU and it will be interesting to see if they take this on or not. I would put my money on a big fat NO.

Northern California's slogan should be "We're Americans and we hate ourselves for it"

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Yes it sounds crazy but i think the principal was concerned that the kids were going to get the S beat out of them. If there are a majority of Spanish kids in the school and the white boys stood up to them it would not be pretty.

They were probably looking for trouble, looking to start a fight like a lot of people on this forum are. Some people will do anything to start a fight.

Again i don't know if i agree with how it was handled but i think the principal was looking out for the kids.

+12 more 
posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I think that the parents should be going in and raking the principle and all involved over the coals. This is the United States of America, not Mexico, and the reality is that we are not obligated to celebrate any holiday that is not approved by congress.
Quick think on Cinco de Mayo, is that it was one battle that the mexican army won against the french. The next day the french came back and really wooped up on the Mexicans. It was not a popular holiday until it was introduced to the Americans, as an excuse to party.
So the school is wrong as they are not seeing to the needs of only part of the students, and not all of them. I think a lawyer to sue on the grounds of discrimination is needed in this case.

+11 more 
posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This makes me so angry. :shk:

I agree with Beast Master in that trying to keep the peace was probably the principle's intention. However, this needs to be brought to light as well then.

If we actually have to be fearful of violence because we wear a shirt that has an American flag on it, then that is indicative of a MUCH larger issue instead of a simple 'PC gone awry' issue of wearing a flag on a day that is 'insensitive' to Mexican Americans.

Pandering to the over sensitivities of others is simply aggravating. Doing it to avoid possible violence is infuriating.

+18 more 
posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
Yes it sounds crazy but i think the principal was concerned that the kids were going to get the S beat out of them. If there are a majority of Spanish kids in the school and the white boys stood up to them it would not be pretty.

So, once again AMERICANS need to be the one to sneak away with their tail between their legs while THEIR rights are violated in their OWN country? No!

They were probably looking for trouble, looking to start a fight like a lot of people on this forum are. Some people will do anything to start a fight.

Your own apologetic opinion. It doesn't say anything like that in the article

Again i don't know if i agree with how it was handled but i think the principal was looking out for the kids.

Right, or the gutless principal could have told all the mexicans, "Hands off!".

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Ditto- I do not have kids. but if I did and one of these were mine- they would have one angry gringo on ther hands. What bothers me most about this "immigration problem" we have is the level of disrespect that the offending party offers up on a regular basis. I wonder if they will ever be put in check.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all immigrants, upon naturalisation have to swear allegiance to the flag in the US?

I beggers belief that if they have sworn allegiance to something that they could find it offensive.

PC BS gone mad!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
"Listen all you dirty MEXICANS, this is AMERICA, you got that? See these good white boys with their AMERICAN shirts? IF you touch these kids i will see to it that you are not only expelled but sent to JAIL for hate crimes against AMERICA."

-Live Oak Principal's Speach to the Mexicans.

sorry had to do it.

+20 more 
posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The other question that needs to be asked and watched for when the time comes:

Will the principal send home any mexicans wearing their flag on or around the 4th of July?

+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

"Listen all you dirty MEXICANS, this is AMERICA, you got that? See these good white boys with their AMERICAN shirts? IF you touch these kids i will see to it that you are not only expelled but sent to JAIL for hate crimes against AMERICA."

-Live Oak Principal's Speach to the Mexicans.

sorry had to do it.

No you didn't.

All the principal had to really do was explain to the mexicans that in THIS country it is a student's right to wear any flag on any day. Call it a lesson in civics.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

no because it's the summer and they won't be in school.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

probably not- you know criminals have more rights than the victims usually. I wonder what this country would look like if the people here had the balls that the greeks have.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
That was stupid. Now we have more martyrs. The American flag is everywhere in America. Whatis the problems??

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all immigrants, upon naturalisation have to swear allegiance to the flag in the US?

I beggers belief that if they have sworn allegiance to something that they could find it offensive.

PC BS gone mad!

Who said all these students were legal and have gone through the naturalization process?

They seem, after all, seem to feel like they are "mexicans" first ...

Oh and from the article:

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

Get over yourselves!

This is how you know how wrong this is. Reverse the countries and what would happen to Americans students in mexico that claimed to be offended by mexicans there wearing the mexican flag (in mexico) on the 4th of July.

[edit on 5/6/2010 by centurion1211]

+4 more 
posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I just said it in another thread and I'll say it again...

Where does it end?

I couldn't imagine a teacher/principal sending my daughter home for wearing my countries flag, which she does often, on a piece of clothing or whatnot.

There is sensitivity to others culture then there is just downright stupidity. In my opinion, this incident falls squarely in the later category.

Oh and you should also have a look at this thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Again it happened in California. Is there something in the water out there or something?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

no because it's the summer and they won't be in school.

Ever hear of "summer school"?

Just asking.

+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
This makes me so angry. :shk:

I agree with Beast Master in that trying to keep the peace was probably the principle's intention. However, this needs to be brought to light as well then.

If we actually have to be fearful of violence because we wear a shirt that has an American flag on it, then that is indicative of a MUCH larger issue instead of a simple 'PC gone awry' issue of wearing a flag on a day that is 'insensitive' to Mexican Americans.

Pandering to the over sensitivities of others is simply aggravating. Doing it to avoid possible violence is infuriating.

Hunny it isn't just about keeping the peace. I live in Northern California where we have a rather large Hispanic population. To be TOTALLY blunt they get what ever they want to simply keep the money for special programs rolling in!
All of the grammar school programs for ALL the children in the area where I live have been eradicated to make way for the state funded ones for the Hispanic children.
My children who are half Portuguese and half American were refused entry into any of the after school programs for not being "Hispanic". I can understand it is in their best interest to try and help them learn English etc. But they DON'T EVER even try; they just cart them around on field trips etc.

It has gotten to the point where they are demanding that the American children learn to speak Spanish because there are more Spanish speaking children than English speaking children. When we got hit with that one in "kindergarten"we pulled our kids out of the district here and have been having them privately schooled ever since.
Spanish or French is a language requirement for graduation from high school here. Not something that 5-9 year old's need because the school wants money for special programs that are only for a select few.

All of these politically correct "rules" have gotten out of hand. It has gotten to the point here where being a "citizen" is a bad thing and something our children feel they are being punished for.
EVERYONE has a right to celebrate their heritage; trying to stop those who do in any way is wrong. But like most things around here it will be buried in a day or two until the next time it happens (daily). I really think they are only reporting on it just because of the Arizona bill to be honest. It happens every single day here.

+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I'd say sue them. they're not in Mexico, they're in America. Americans don't celebrate the fifth of may because it's not Important to us, and it's of limited significance and celebration nationwide in MEXICO itself. if they bearly celebrated in Mexico, WHY celebrate here?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join