It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity: Disgusting People with No Self-Respect or Post-Apocalypse Saviors of Humanity?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ponyboyats
ya'll wanna know the funniest part about all this? only in america are there poor people that are fat. only in america can you get fat when you loose a job because you can only afford 1$ mcD's menu. ROFL. in soviet russia, you get thin when you're poor

[edit on 6-5-2010 by ponyboyats]

Actually, in soviet russia you dont get thin, thin gets YOU.

Apart from that, theres no "soviet russia" (just an heads up)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Just thought of something. Sometimes it is hard to eat correctly. There are co-ops and we sometimes go to this farm and either work to get a share or pay to get seasonal organic fruits and veggies at a really reasonable price. Sometimes u can get fresh fruits and stuff in bulk when in season too. Like, I take the kids and we pick berries at this joint down the road. Or I'll get a bushel of apples and peaches and freeze 'em. There are wild blackberies and and raspberries if u can find them. This is a good time of yr to start patio tomatoes, cucumber, strawberry plants. U can even get those cheap 5 gal buckets at Lowes to use. There really are ways to eat healthier, it just takes a little more work.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demetre
Just thought of something. Sometimes it is hard to eat correctly. There are co-ops and we sometimes go to this farm and either work to get a share or pay to get seasonal organic fruits and veggies at a really reasonable price. Sometimes u can get fresh fruits and stuff in bulk when in season too. Like, I take the kids and we pick berries at this joint down the road. Or I'll get a bushel of apples and peaches and freeze 'em. There are wild blackberies and and raspberries if u can find them. This is a good time of yr to start patio tomatoes, cucumber, strawberry plants. U can even get those cheap 5 gal buckets at Lowes to use. There really are ways to eat healthier, it just takes a little more work.

If it takes 'work', a lot of people (obese and thin) don't want any part of it. Regardless of the consequences. Those people are a sad indicator of our society.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

i think you should google the word "Ethiopia".
and i can almost garuntee your "cold" and unquenchable "hunger" is nothing short of having an unfulfilled life and low self-esteem, so tasting and feeling food in your mouth for just a few seconds and feeling stuffed is better than nothing.

I have a fulfilled life, still married after 36 years to the same man, grandchildren and work two days a month now in a soup kitchen. I like myself, for I am a good, kind and intellegent person.

I have worked for the aspca and habitat for humanity.

Since my third son was born I could not consume over 900 calories a day and not gain weight. I know I have calorieking food manager and use it now. Like you manage your checkbook, I also manage my calorie intake.

I got up to being 100 pounds over weight.

How people treated me when I was young, thin and beautiful vs how people treated me being older and fat are like two different realities. People basically are kind and nice to thin young people and mean to older fat people, without getting to know the person, simply on judgements made like the original poster and yourself.

Had gastric bypass and am now down to my goal weight.

You have no idea of me or my life and your comments of my "self-esteem" are unfounded.

I was orphaned at 10 how about you? My guess is your just another suburban snot face preppy child that has no idea about how the other half lives.

I have excellent self-esteem, I unlike you would never hurt someone anyone like your vicious comments - you who know nothing of my life and what I have gone through.

Ethiopia - I send money, clothes and other things over there with a friend who actually goes there each year to help.

I give approximately 20% of our income to charity each year. How much time and money do you spend to help others less fortunate?

fyi: I have been thin, young and beautiful - men would stop eating and turn to watch me enter a room. I've been invited upon the yachts of rich men and invited to 1st run Hollywood premiers. When you are young, thin and beautiful everyone wants to be your best buddy, even if you are clueless.

I had this "fat" experience to go through to help me realize that one must see with their heart and not their eyes. Becoming fat humbled me and that was my soul's lesson that and control.

My guess is your soul's lesson would be humility and kindness.

Again, keep your uneducated rude and condescending comments to yourself - you know me not and where I have come from or anything about me.

fyi: I grew up on a dairy farm and at 14 could outlift most of you big full grown men out there. I worked a farm feeding, watering and cleaning up after various animals as well as ran a tractor / combine. Grandpa said I was a better ranch hand than most men.

Back then I could consume 2000 calories a day and was at 5'3" 115-120 pounds and could not gain an ounce.

I wish I was back on the farm, animals are a lot nicer than most people. Work was hard, I'm not lazy by a long shot up at 5 am and I could out work you anyday.

If the world were to blow up, I could at approaching 60 survive - I've help run a small farm, been in nursing, assisted in surgery, know how to fire and clean a rifle. For a little old lady, I am cool. Mess with me and you mess with the best.

One last comment: This whole posts shows exactly how most people see with their eyes and not their heart and it's now politically incorrect to pick on blacks, gays, etc but fat people are now fair game - so people, like hens in a barnyard peck at them.

God grow up the whole lot of you. Looks are so non-important - you just might learn something befriending someone that is "different" than the barbie dolls walking around.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I will say it again. I am not obese but I am over weight. I spent most of my life being under weight so its a little weird for me.
I want to ask these superior folks what they think I should do differently to lose 20 lbs.

I eat extremely healthy. Although I am sure the vegans here will tell me to cut out things like chicken, fish, milk and eggs, I eat better than most people. As a said before I have a natural aversion to greasy and fried foods, have ever since I got pregnant with my first child. I eat raw, I don't touch processed foods with a ten foot pole.
I have literally no appetite. I have to force my self to eat. I usually forget to eat and only do because I am dizzy and feel shaky. 1/4 sandwich can leave me feeling stuffed, so I just snack on things like snap peas through out the day since I can't eat much a time.
I ma very active, doing my own yard work and home repair, plus chasing after 3 kids and walking all over the place.

So Oh wise superior ones who seem to know so much more than I do tell me what I should do since obviously despite my lifestyle I am still a lazy over eater.
Here is what I ate yesterday.
1 banana calories ?
2 slices of swiss cheese calories 120
1 bag of sugar snap peas that I snacked on through out the day total 120 calories
so 240 calories plus the banana.
I just don't have an appetite.
some days I eat more than this but I rarely exceed 1200 calories.

So how much less should I eat to adjust for my metabolism.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OkayToday

AND fat keeps you warm in the winter! Of course overweight people would last longer in a Mad Max World. That is what fat is for, to keep you warm and alive in times of famine. So who's the one with the better plan? Fat now and survive the transition to be slender later or listen to the Ministry of Truth, be skinny and not survive?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

You need to consult a nutritionist.

Most likely, you've put your body into what I refer to as starvation mode. If you eat too little, your body shuts down (ie preparing for famine).

If you want to lose weight, consult a nutritionist not this web site.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The worst thing that ever happened to my body is I graduated from college.

When I was in college, I had no extra money. I rode a bike for transportation and couldn't afford to eat in restaurants.
After I graduated, I had a job, money, and could no longer afford the time luxury of working out.

So, I started gaining weight. Just a pound or two a year. Then, we had kids. This cut further into the time luxury of exercise.

When my kids entered school, I started going to a health club. I mostly did weight lifting and bulked up pretty good. I went to the health club(s) for more then a decade.

But, I had trouble losing weight.

So, for the past couple of decades, I've been concentrating on cardio exercise. I swim 10-12,000 yds per week and ride my bike about 100 miles per week. I can't run right now due to a knee problem but that will resume in a few weeks.

If I try really hard, I can lose about 1-2 pounds per week but only while maintaining 1-2 hours per day of cardio exercise. I think that my metabolism has gotten very efficient. That could help in a SHTF situation.

So, I'm very fit, compared to others my age but I do have to watch my diet and maintain a pretty high rate of activity otherwise I'd be huge.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I will say it again. I am not obese but I am over weight. I spent most of my life being under weight so its a little weird for me.
I want to ask these superior folks what they think I should do differently to lose 20 lbs.

I eat extremely healthy. Although I am sure the vegans here will tell me to cut out things like chicken, fish, milk and eggs, I eat better than most people.

So Oh wise superior ones who seem to know so much more than I do tell me what I should do since obviously despite my lifestyle I am still a lazy over eater.
Here is what I ate yesterday.
1 banana calories ?
2 slices of swiss cheese calories 120
1 bag of sugar snap peas that I snacked on through out the day total 120 calories
so 240 calories plus the banana.
I just don't have an appetite.
some days I eat more than this but I rarely exceed 1200 calories.

So how much less should I eat to adjust for my metabolism.

ok bad news for you here... eating 240 cal in one day and going to 1200 the next is VERY BAD news for your weight. it has been proven in labs that animals that are starved for a while and then fed an almost normal diet for a while would make them HUGE.

that is why diets DO NOT work.

your body enters "starvation" mode where it thinks there is a famine and it will conserve each calorie you take in, put it into fat to help you survive. and when you return to your normal eating habits, after a "successful diet" you become HUGE. this used to be good hundreds of years ago when food was scarce, but nowadays its bad.

i will say it again. being thin is not a matter of under-eating. it's a matter of eating normal food, 2-3 times a day, but in SMALLER portions! and exercising moderately. buy a bike or run around the house, do mall walking or well ANYTHING, just don't sit all day long!

if that does not help, see a doctor or a nutritionist and work some medication like Ally into your diet. but don't go on magazine diets or fool yourself you can lose weight by eating 240 cal/day... you're just making yourself sicker! ask any doctor, don't just trust me on this!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

first, i wasn't even replying to you. i was replying to someone's post in response to the OP.

so i wasn't attacking you or your life story, which was totally unnecessary to tell me, and your fabricated insults are very telling, but i'm glad you did tell me. after reading what you typed and how you typed it, and all the emotional subtext, i still stand by my post you quoted. i won't be rude and put the mirror up to it all, because i'm not playing into your problems or engaging in a flame war here on ATS.

[edit] oh my mistake, it was your post i was replying to. doesn't change anything though. way to overreact.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by shagreen heart]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
oops, double post.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by shagreen heart]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Your description of obese people is abhorrent OP. You grasp at every negative stereotype of obese people, throw them all together and present them as some perverted attempt at a cohesive classification.

There are myriad reasons people are obese, but you seem to know that it is because they are lazy and stupid, and self-loathing, etc. What trash you spew; same bigotry, different target. You haven't even presented any novel ways of degrading these people. Your hatred is not even original.

Obesity is a problem, but you couldn't be further from helping to mitigate this problem. Go ahead, defend you position without name calling. Oh, you can't. Because you're a hate filled child.

Op says, "Profoundly obese mothers at the mall food court—so fat that their form barely resembles anything human—feeding Big Macs and large orders of fries (they call ‘em vegetables) to their children, smiling giddily because they don’t have to prepare yet another dinner for their kids, which would cut into TV-watching time." Because the OP is psychic and reads the hearts, minds and souls of these people he can speak on behalf of their motivations and thoughts. I especially love the use of his pejoratives adjectives and hyperbolic descriptions that paint the obese as sub human, it really goes a long way to prove how thoughtful, sensible, and honest the OP and how very serious we should take this great luminary.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Threadfall]

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Threadfall]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
the reason why so many kids are obese is because parents are too busy to watch their kids. They just order fast food so they can shut up their kids while they work. I use to be one of those types. I may weigh just as much as them, but all I can say it is in the gut now. I go to the gym at least 2 to 3 times a week. Sometimes one time if I am heat exhausted from work. But it sickens me how obesity is getting worse.

I always have this conspiracy that the reason why the government doesn't regulate the fast food companies is because they want us fat and lazy so we don't revolt back like you see in Iran or China.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by jupiter869

You have no idea what it is to feel cold and hungry all the time.

No idea

Non empathetic, no feeling, no idea the concept is beyond you.

Always hungry, always cold.

I would not wish this even upon the most vile human lilke Hitler.

A constant hunger and cold will drive you crazy.

But most skinny people have no comprehension of the hunger.

I had surgery to "correct mu hunger".

People who have little hunger have no idea and it is beyond them the insatiable hunger. Maybe people who are addicted to sex or drugs may have a glimpse but the "hunger" is unbelievable.

Gastroc Bypass surgery helps, but the hunger returns and never quite leaves you.

This I pour from my heart so I will not visit the "replies" herein.

Most skinny people have no real comprehension of what it is to be truely hungry.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by ofhumandescent]

Thank you, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm barely 5ft2 and have been everything from a size 0 to a size 10 all in about a 10yr range. I've gained and lost the same 25lbs for a good part of my life. I've been pleasantly plump and I've been tiny. I've spent the majority of 41yrs fighting the neverending hunger. I'm hungry all the time no matter how I change my eating habits. I've been big into weightlifting and aerobics and I know all about vitamins, etc and how the body and brain work. I have Multiple Sclerosis and have done an enormous amount of research. Sadly due to the MS I can't remember half of what I read.

I've stayed around a size 6 for about 2 years now but alas the weight is creeping up again.

No one should judge yet the bony ones love to judge the most.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
There are some outstanding posts. The guy who talks about not knowing what it is like to be hungry....that was good stuff.

I am not saying anything here, other than if a woman doesn't jiggle all over when she jumps, then she is too skinny.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
99% of getting fat comes from taking in way more calories than you're burning...it's as simple as that.

Get off the couch, or when you get off work from your office job, run a few miles, do push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups.

Quit being lazy and put in the work. Also, cut your eating portions in half. It's a life-long commitment to be in shape and it takes a strong will.

One day, (apocalypse aside), you may be in a position where your survival requires you to pull yourself up over the edge of a cliff or wall, or swim across a bay or lake, or outrun a pack of dogs or criminals.

If the apocalypse happens soon my moneys on the physically and mentally tough to survive....not the pasty softies.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Hmmm..Lets see.. Jabba The Hutt, Baron Harkkonen, the perverbial spaghetti sucking gumbah that does hits for the "family"?(all bad guys, just in case some of our readers didnt know)

Hitler was a short fellow, but he was really just a figurehead, placed there by a huge pig-eating slob, Im sure.

Has anyone seen "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs"? Who was the antagonist that drew so much of our negative attention in the film? You guessed it ...a fat, over-indulgent jerk. Actually there were two gutbuckets in that film, and one even came around to the good side.

There are two kinds of lardos. The scum that embrace the cellulite, and the ones actively fighting it.

In a post apocilypse enviornment, the fighters will be helped by us real humans, and the tuboscuzz type will be a real pain because thier oversized bodies will do more damage to my vehicle when I run them over in the street, Also unless you are some crazy good marksman, giant , overindulgent slugs will take more ammo to bring down at a distance than a smaller target....A trip to the range is in order....practice makes perfect.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
To reply to your post.

Fat people will not make it, they will die first! AS the SHTF only the strong will survive(Strong=fit and in shape) mentally and physically.

If you are weak in either department, well, society will just chop the fat so to speak. No pun intended.

Never in humanity has Lazy=Success
well, except for my 35 year old brother who still lives with his mom.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I've gained 20 pounds since high school, (it all goes to my stomach uugh!) I work full time and go to school full time, so I think some of it may have been eating convenient, quick, fattening foods. I'm also not in sports anymore, so that could play into it.

However, I recently discovered that I have hypothyroidism. The doctor was shocked when he looked at my bloodwork, apparently my thyroid doesnt work AT ALL lol. He said I was on my way into a coma if I didn't start medication. He also said that was a huge factor in my weight gain. I think people should get their thyroid checked.

Another thing to think about is whether your body is handling the glucose from your food correctly. My mother was about forty pounds overweight, and was put on Glucophage since her body wasn't using her insulin correctly. She dropped the weight very quickly and has kept it off.

This weight is a pain to lose though! I've been trying to buy fruits and veggies, but damned if I have time to go to the supermarket every day, prepare and eat lean meals. Usually its some top ramen on my lunch break or between classes. But come hell or high water I will lose this weight!

Although I am technically about ten pounds overweight, I ran four miles the other day (no stopping)
I work out regularly and can keep up with the best of them. I look very fit, I'm just a lot heavier than I look. I think I would survive an apocalypse

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join