It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity: Disgusting People with No Self-Respect or Post-Apocalypse Saviors of Humanity?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
My vote for the most hilarious/challenging thread-title of the month

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Software_Pyrate

Who exactly is that comment directed towards?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
eat the opposition...

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 7/17/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

[edit on 7/17/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
My dad wasn't so understanding that I was overweight until he had to take high doses of predispose HIMSELF for a month or two. He's a health nut that only thinks of himself- never did much for us kids but has always made sure he had the most expensive running shoes, going on trips to 'run' in races, spent every night but one at the spa. It was funny to watch him blow up in just one week and become what he hated so bad. Almost as funny as when he found himself in the hospital with heart trouble arguing with the doctor that he COULD NOT have heart trouble because he had exercised every day for 40 years.

Anyway, I'm fat mostly because I am a darn good cook, and I love to cook, and I love to cook for other people. I don't think I'm lazy.

I probably have a good chance at survival because I garden, grow medicinal and culinary herbs, know how to bake,care for animals, make sausages and preserve food. If I had to cut off someone's LEG, I have plants that would probably knock them out. (My first degree was nursing.)

I save a good bit by cutting my own meat, having my own chickens, garden, ect.

I mostly think that I've got a decent chance because if I am lazy, and I am sometimes, it is because I like to read, and I'm a non-fiction lover who reads for knowledge.

Maybe too, I'll survive because I do love food so much that I've got a stockpile.

Oh yeah, even though I am morbidly obese now -which doesn't mean someone's laying in the bed immobile and dying like some people seem to think, it just means my BMI is a certain percent - I've got a ammo too, and when I was in the military, I was an expert marksman. I've only got better with time and a lot of practice.

When you guys see a woman that is a size 22 like me, you don't even see me. That's an advantage in itself.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Zombieland Rule # 1......Cardio

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
It's pretty obvious who the hateful are here too.

In the military used to hear "If you have to run more than a mile in combat, you're dead anyway."

Yeah. Guns and power tools make us all pretty much equal.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Software_Pyrate
Yes Sky....I agree....lofl

But seriously....lets try to stick to the OP's title....as hilarious as it may be.

It is obvious who are the fat people here....they come on and give some long ass speach about how or why they are fat. Nobody cares!!!!!!!!!!!

The thread is about who will survive....period.

Fat people are by no means...the post apocalyptic saviors....They will be the first to go. And in a life or death situation....they will be killed and eaten....

2 words for ya...no wait...just 1.....Pathetic

And o ya...that previous post was directed towards U....u know who u r.

Well, since Software_Pyrate didn't have the stones to specify who he was talking to other than "U know who u r", I'll assume he was talking to me. Firstly, I didn't give a "long ass speach" (lol) about being overweight, and if you don't want to read those posts from people, then don't. I contributed something to this thread, rather than just insulting its members. Second, I think thou dost protest too much? I'm betting your either a fat (or scrawny) thirteen year old hiding behind a computer screen (you certainly seem to have the intelligence of a child). If you had read my post, you would know that I am not lazy, I ran four miles the other day and again today. I work full time and go to school full time and work out three times a week.

For anyone else who is interested in an update, I've lost five pounds since I've taken my thyroid medication, so now I am technically five pounds over what is "normal" in the BMI range. However, I went to a personal trainer today and they tested my body fat percentage. Apparently my body fat percentage is in the low range (20 percent), meaning that most of my weight is from my muscles and in my...chest region
So although according to the conventional BMI calculator I am 5 lbs "overweight" I am fitter than most people and have five pounds of muscle.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

Aha haha!! You have a very courageous spirit my friend. Nice article. You pointed out some things that I think about often. Also, some things that I have never really realized. Thank You!
I agree with you 100 percent about the obvious visual trend of the American population and obesity. Fat, lazy, ignorant parents are feeding a fast food highway straight to their kids mouth every second of everyday. Its horrible! The food's cheap and it tastes good to them because thats what they're now addicted to eating.
I never thought about the concept of using the obese as food in an apocalyptic scenerio.
It's disgusting on a million levels of disgusting but if you had enough starving, desperate people...it would happen. If there was no other food source at all and we were all living underground in fallout or something, the fattest people would get eaten first.
The other thing that you said though about the obese surviving because of being overweight over everyone else.... eh, I don't know about that. Along with obesity comes SO many health problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, COPD, high cholesterol, joint/ muscle pain disorders (everything really). I think that one of the other health issues would get them before the actually healthy and fit survivalists die out.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Disgusting is talking openly about your personal willingness to participate in cannibalism, IMO.

Some people seem to be foaming at the mouth for civilization to collapse so they can go eat people. It's not that they are hungry, because there's plenty of food NOW - so why talk about something like that? That's last resort, end of the line -

NO, it's not about hunger or wanting to survive - it's that they are full of hate!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
its funny you should mention this...ive been consciously trying to put on weight (not that im skinny or anything) to prepare for a food shortage...my girlfriend has been giving me a lot of flak for this, but if everything keeps dying and shortages set in, or if trucks stop bringing food, those with a little extra poundage will be able to survive it better, and that is a simple fact...im not sure if "God is out to make the obese the rebuilders after Apocalypse" or any nonsense like that, but its a fact that those with the most weight will be better able to withstand a period of major shortage...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Wohoo....at last a reason for more chocolate othe than pure self indulgance!

thanks dude!

On a slightly more serious note, a New Scientist article recently noted that variation will help the race to survive post-apolcalypse - the conditions required for survival are not known, sowe need some people in all categories - eg if everyone is skinny and fat ppl would survive, or vice versa, then the race dies.

So viva la difference - I might open a book on whether lardo's or beanpoles will be the good guys.....you only collect if I make it too tho....

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The key to losing weight is a strong healthy mind

People who are overweight will say things like I don't have time to eat healthy, I can't afford fruits and vegetables, I have health problems, I cant I cant

This mindstate is in a negative existence. These people will have emotional struggles with what they "want" to look like but the question always will be how bad do you want it?

The easy road, that most people who have become overweight take, is to start by "removing" something from there lifestyle. This negative action to circumvent what they perceive as "cause" for there problems.

In 2011, it is not about doing less, it is about doing more. Not one person can say they do not have the time for 30 minutes of cardio per day.

Disconnect from the world, immerse yourself into your cardio exercise and you will become addicted to the feeling you get.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Wow, I did not see where this was going from the title. I was thinking "Donner Party" and you did a complete 180 on me, very impressive sir. However if it is an ice-age post apocalypse world that extra insulation will certainly come in handy, hungry is bad enough, cold and hungry would really suck though.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADUB77
The key to losing weight is a strong healthy mind

People who are overweight will say things like I don't have time to eat healthy, I can't afford fruits and vegetables, I have health problems, I cant I cant

This mindstate is in a negative existence. These people will have emotional struggles with what they "want" to look like but the question always will be how bad do you want it?

The easy road, that most people who have become overweight take, is to start by "removing" something from there lifestyle. This negative action to circumvent what they perceive as "cause" for there problems.

In 2011, it is not about doing less, it is about doing more. Not one person can say they do not have the time for 30 minutes of cardio per day.

Disconnect from the world, immerse yourself into your cardio exercise and you will become addicted to the feeling you get.

The key to losing weight is managing caloric intake via carbs. Go to town on the fats and proteins, back off on the carbs.

Today is 2-3. I started a low carb diet on 1-3. 1 month today. And i am 65lbs lighter. Manage your carbs, learn how to cook really well so you can be happy with low carb foods. It isn't all just meat and cheese, i swear.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Soylent Green.... enough said.

Kidding!

I don't see that being why obesity is an epidemic. Without medical facts to go on, I can only speak from what I have seen and experienced.

I weigh in at around 100 soaking wet. I am fortunate enough to be able to eat anything without getting fat. Though I do wish I could gain about 30. I do eat a lot, no dice.

My husband weighs in around 340. He has always been large, even as s child.

I can easily go without food longer than he can. He gets weaker quicker than I do. I know this from being stuck in a bad snowstorm for 4 days with no power and only a can or two of food.

I also notice that on Survivor, the bigger guys and girls have a more difficult time with the lack of food. The bony ones seem unphased usually.

I tend to believe (again no medical proof just opinion) that a smaller person would survive more easily because their body is accustomed to getting less so it requires less to function.

A final point as I ramble on...

My husband is a big man. He works an average of 70 hours a week at an outdoor sawmill. Rain, sleet, or snow. He can outwork any smaller man up there. In almost 14 years of marriage I can count on one hand the sick days he has taken. He is very active to the point of being hyper. He provides well for us and takes pride in all that he does. So being big does not mean you are lazy and have no self respect. A lot of cases maybe, but not all.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
If Oprah is any indication, well perhaps a few extra pounds is going to be useful. I found the OP degrading and manipulative.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
If Oprah is any indication, well perhaps a few extra pounds is going to be useful. I found the OP degrading and manipulative.

Since when is it degrading to be called obese? Ok, yes, there is an element of degrading humiliation society has associated with being 'profoundly obese', but really, it is a medical condition. A condition that can be treated. Yes, our society has placed a negative spin on the word, associating it (justifiably?) with extremely bad behavior as far as eating, exercise and the unwillingness or inability to take care of oneself. But really, it is a condition. And unlike other, more horrific conditions in the medical world, people can do something about it.
edit on 4-2-2011 by jupiter869 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This is a thrilling post to read as I searched for posts on obesity and ways to lose weight. I never really thought the apocalypse would bring about cannibalism though!!!! OMG!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join