It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity: Disgusting People with No Self-Respect or Post-Apocalypse Saviors of Humanity?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I think perceptions about "fat" have a lot to do with what level we consider overweight. According to the all knowing BMI chart I'm borderline obese. I should weight 175-195# at 6'2" Yeah right! maybe if I became a cancer survivor. I lost down to 205 one time, and my friends, and family became concerned that I looked "too skinny", and I did look like a bean pole at 205. The all powerful chart however said I was still 10# overweight. Seriously? 175# at 6'2"?! What did these nutritionists smoke to come up with those numbers?
I waiver between 245-255. I have great activity tolerance. I guess I have me a set of those "farm muscles" that were mentioned earlier. Corn fed is a good descriptor. I have a 'roid rage buddy who looks "ripped, shredded, cut, etc..." all those other nauseating gym head terms. Yet I'm about twice as strong as he is, and could work his prissy little butt into the ground. I out weigh him by 60# and can outrun him sprint, or distance, but alas it is for naught for everyone's perception is the opposite. If the SHTF tomorrow he would be at my door saying "Dude, protect me."
There is such thing as fat, but fit. Recent studies have shown that people with a little extra insulation actually recover from certain illnesses quicker, and do have better activity tolerance if they excercise, and keep their cardiovascular system in shape. I eat well too, my problem is I eat too well!!! I have to stay active all the time so I don't become that 350# out of breath guy. It's a choice though. I love to eat, and pay for it with activity. It's a pretty sweet deal I think. Except when everyone wants you to help them move.

If I became ill I would be in a pickle. I would easily gain a lot of weight, and I have morbidly obese friends who try desperately to loose weight. It isn't as easy as "Just put the fries down fatty." The socioeconomic thing plays a big factor too. Our bodies need a certain amount of vital nutrients, and cheap food is poor in these nutrients, but high in calories. to get enough nutrients to satisfy your needs you end up consuming lots of calories to get it. I eat nutrient dense food, I just eat a lot of it, but tend not to gain weight as drastically because everything is balanced, it's just a big scale! Some foods are cheap, and nutrient dense, but not very interesting or flattering to the palate, or um social graces. Legumes and greens are super nutrient dense, but don't get on a long bus trip, or flight if you been munching them for a few days. Everyone will be looking for the exhaust leak.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

I think that the only relation this has to biblical apocalypse, prophecy or the like is that this lady will be singing at a certain point...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I accept some of the points made here, and yes, diet plays a big part in how fit you are...

Morbidly obese is one thing, but being big or fat a lot of times is different. For instance, on my mom's side of the family, we have some big people... I mean hefty. But they are in great shape. They are all now in their 80s, and quite active.

One uncle is 83 and still repairs appliances on site and does electrical work, another was complaining about his back hurting at 85. I asked why, he said he was helping a neighbor...seems the dump wouldn't take large cinder block, so he was breaking them up and hauling them down there by the bucket load...he still cuts and splits firewood too. My aunt is 90, and this is the first year she hasn't had a HUGE garden. Me? I'm 47, a chunky guy, and I outwork guys half my age tossing 50lb sacks of feed all day.

Point is, size and heft are not the benchmarks, but activity and solid health. And let me tell you, these folks love to cook and eat.

So, to the Op...morbidly obese I conceed is dangerous and unhealthy. But fat, chunky, "corn fed"... another matter entirely.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I'm considered overwight at 26.8 on the BMI scale.
But i'm 6'3 and fairly built.. i'll be training hard soon ready for whats to come. atm i can lift 92kg,push 78kg, pull 71kg,grip 65kg and run about 1.5 mile in 13 mins 43 secs(cutting that down soon to about 9:30 mins to 9 mins)

But would be funny if humanity's last hope are the clincally obese like my father who crawl from the ruins uninjured to reseed earth lol

My dad is clinically obese due to a rugby injury..he got depressed and began to eat went from 13 stone 4 lbs to 22 stone and a BMI of 41. Although blood tests and scans show no medical problems at all.

I think you should be a bit more thoughtful about the obese espeically if your on the side of "hahaha they are fat *snort* i have no muscle,no fat so i am useless to survival" crowd..who in my eyes are a waste of air and would gladly kick them into a pit of flesh eating locusts

if the SHTF i'll take people who i deem worthy..physically fit,medically fit,intelligence above average and those that can handle weapons.

Good thing my cousins in the special forces taught me how to use weapons and CQC, no one's taking my fecking food and supplies in the post apocalyptic world

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think obese people's main issue to continue gorging themselves with disgusting foods is not having the will or lack of self control that keeps them coming back. More power to them if they choose to stuff their faces with fats and chemicals their whole life, but they shouldn't be upset when their pronounced diabetic, bound to a wheel chair or have a heart attack at 40.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This could be the awesomest thread ever.

I'm eating a Big Mac right now....ordering pizza for lunch. Gotta fatten up before SHTF !!!!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Metabolism is a far, far more important factor than the quantity of food eaten. True. But something vitally important that I haven't seen mentioned here yet, is that metabolism is based on diet as well as genetics and hormones. That guy who eats whatever he wants, whenever he wants, without exercise, will most certainly tell a different story in ten years. My metabolism greatly slowed down after 20 but then it sped right up again faster than ever when I optimized my diet.

So yes, if you have "fat genes" you will have an easier time gaining weight. But if you're complaining about a slow metabolism, that is your fault. I don't care WHAT freak genetic makeup you have, if you increase your intake of fruits and vegetables, your metabolism will greatly increase. There's a plethora of data on the link between diet and metabolism.

And FYI, frozen veggies are NOT devoid of nutrients. That is a downright lie. In some cases they retain 95% or more of the original nutrients, assuming they are frozen quickly enough. The earlier comment from the 250 lb bodybuilder living on less than $200 a month is ENTIRELY plausible. The key is to know where to shop, and how to find the best deals on healthy food.

I'm vegan and cook for myself almost every meal. I don't buy organic (unless the product is soy or corn) and I can easily make a $40 purchase last me a week, sometimes longer. I can walk away with 30 pounds of food with that cash. Fresh onions, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, DIRT CHEAP! And don't give up on yourself if you think you can't lose weight. You just need to ignore your own BS and get fired up and determined to do it.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Son of Will]

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Son of Will]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Any one see Jimmie Kimmiel the other night.
Dr. OZ was on and measures Jimmie up.
The measurement around the belly button waist should be half your height.
Belly fat makes estrogen from testosterone so you get man boobs.
Or something like that that, I'm still trying to find the entire dialogue.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
You’ve seen them. 10 year old children that weigh over 100 pounds! Profoundly obese mothers at the mall food court—so fat that their form barely resembles anything human—feeding Big Macs and large orders of fries (they call ‘em vegetables) to their children, smiling giddily because they don’t have to prepare yet another dinner for their kids, which would cut into TV-watching time. It was only 10 years ago that these people were the exception rather than the norm. But now, they account for an alarming percentage of our population, destroying themselves but more importantly, the lives of their very own children by subjecting them to incredible illnesses, all because of their own low self-concept, their laziness and me-first attitude, or simply their lack of education.

Flash forward to the Bible’s Apocalypse, ATS’s wealth of info on 2012, Nostradamus’ predictions, and a plethora of other seers’ and saints’ pointing to the apocalyptic events headed for us in just a few short ticks.
Is there a connection between the sudden rise in obesity and these warnings of imminent disaster? Does God have a plan we haven’t even begun to fathom? When there is no food to be found, who will starve or survive? In that precarious interim between disaster and humanity’s foothold on rebuilding itself, will the obese be the ones who can bridge that gap when there is no food to be found and the rest of us are all starving to death?
When the dust clears, will they be the ones who went into 2012 fat and came out thin finding themselves the sole survivors of human kind? They say God works in mysterious ways. Will they be the ones stepping forth on a charred Earth, planting the seeds of a new Human future... all because they 'fueled up' beforehand?

...or will they just end up being large lumps of fat lying on the side of the road that we will have to shovel into a pit so we aren’t overrun by flies?

This seriously deserves no stars or flags sorry.

Are you suggesting fat people hibernate like bears? And during the Apocalypse which will never happen, they will sneak away and hide in their beds without anyone to come wash them, or give them water.

And somehow they will lose weight and be alive?

You're fired.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What are, DISGUSTING PEOPLE WITH NO SELF RESPECT....

Alec

CORRECT!!!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Sounds like someone just doesn't like "fat" people and decided to rant and try hiding it behind some other type of message.

Reminds me of this gym I used to work near around 10 years ago. They had this painting that spanned across their windows. It showed a UFO flying over a group of "fat" people and a group of "fit" people and they're all running away with the "fit" one's in the lead. It showed the aliens talking to each other with drool coming out of their mouths and saying:

"Go for the fat ones. They're easier to catch"

I took it personally because I suffered weight issues as a kid/teen. There was also this guy who used to stand outside the gym trying to get people to come in and he always made remarks to anyone who was slightly overweight.

I go down there one day while he's out and I'm on my break and stare at the window. He comes over after about 5 minutes and asks what I'm doing. Here's the conversation:

Me: "Isn't this false advertising?"

Gym Guy: "Excuse me"

Me: "This is false advertising"

Gym Guy (with a smug look on his face): "How exactly is it false advertising?"

Me: "Well if aliens exist and one day invade the Earth to abduct people as food as this painting implies, wouldn't they go after the one's who are nice and fit?"

Gym Guy just stands there

Me: "Think about it. You're an alien invading a planet and taking it's people for food. Which one you going to go after, the fat ones or the fit and meaty ones?"

Gym Guy still isn't saying anything

Me: "See...false advertising and if it were to ever happen, you'd be pretty screwed wouldn't you? (I laugh and left)

Painting was gone 3 days later

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
As I got older (50 now) I had to eat less even though my activities stayed the same. So metabolism is a big point to it all, but not all of it. The biggest issue is processed foods and people are too lazy (rich or poor) to make their own good food anymore. If you just ate a real piece of protein (meat, chicken, fish) some real veggies and either a small potato or rice you will lose weight and be much healthier.

I know kids who will not eat anything that doesn’t look like fast foods. I see the shopping baskets of fat people and the food they have in it is very unhealthy food, and I’m not talking ice-cream etc. I see all process foods in their basket loaded with salt, saturated fats and 50 chemicals.

Many people eat about 800 times their daily needs in carbs and that adds weight, also portion size is a big second after eating real food. Everyone’s stomach is stretched so that 16 inch pizza will fit, or that supersized Big Mack, fries, cola can fit nicely. We really need to get our portions down to that of a human…. Speaking of cola....for many if they just stop drinking cola and drank water they would lose weight and be healthier too.

So though it is correct in saying that poor people eat worst than people with money, it is more based on their lifestyle and life choices than lack of money.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
In a very general sense, I think the obesity epidemic is just what happens when a society is about to collapse. It is the cycle - and America rose quickly and got to the point where people could eat an immense amount of whatever food they want, while doing virtually nothing. In other words, our society is one enjoying the spoils of excess, just like a bunch of pigs in slop.

It is human nature. The Romans had vomitoriums so they could gorge and then purge to keep their figures. We don't do that.

Just part of the cycle.

Unfortunately, the next step in the cycle is a big wake-up call.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

DUDE!!! That is the most IGNORANT thread i have ever read!!
Food shortage???? If the skinny people are smart, they
round up the fat people like cattle...and eat them!!!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This really is just craziness. I don't know if someone has already mentioned this or not, but to think obese people are going to fair better?
Have you ever seen an obese person go without food? They might be able to survive starvation, but most won't be able to go without food. Not without losin there minds. Most will prolly find a means to an end anyway.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

People who are overweight that always talk about metabolism as their reason might be truly amazed as to how much calories they REALLY intake daily and weekly. Also, just exercising some will burn more calories and just as importantly increase metabolism for the whole day and even a couple of days. An extreme example: a friend of mine was always a little over weight though he ran some and worked out some. He decided to train for a marathon with his brothers and he lost so much weight that he had to increase his intake to 10k per day of calories and was still careful not to lose too much weight.

So it all boils down to simply eating less than you burn while keeping your carbs down to a good level. So eat less of good foods, reduce your carbs, and increase your exercise to increase your burn rate and raise your metabolism.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The rise in obesity is some Divine Plan for large people to survive "The Apocalypse"?

As someone who owns stock in a fast food corporation - all I can say is -

PREACH IT BROTHER!!!

TESTIFY!!!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightmare_david
Sounds like someone just doesn't like "fat" people and decided to rant and try hiding it behind some other type of message.

Reminds me of this gym I used to work near around 10 years ago. They had this painting that spanned across their windows. It showed a UFO flying over a group of "fat" people and a group of "fit" people and they're all running away with the "fit" one's in the lead. It showed the aliens talking to each other with drool coming out of their mouths and saying:

"Go for the fat ones. They're easier to catch"

I took it personally because I suffered weight issues as a kid/teen. There was also this guy who used to stand outside the gym trying to get people to come in and he always made remarks to anyone who was slightly overweight.

I go down there one day while he's out and I'm on my break and stare at the window. He comes over after about 5 minutes and asks what I'm doing. Here's the conversation:

Me: "Isn't this false advertising?"

Gym Guy: "Excuse me"

Me: "This is false advertising"

Gym Guy (with a smug look on his face): "How exactly is it false advertising?"

Me: "Well if aliens exist and one day invade the Earth to abduct people as food as this painting implies, wouldn't they go after the one's who are nice and fit?"

Gym Guy just stands there

Me: "Think about it. You're an alien invading a planet and taking it's people for food. Which one you going to go after, the fat ones or the fit and meaty ones?"

Gym Guy still isn't saying anything

Me: "See...false advertising and if it were to ever happen, you'd be pretty screwed wouldn't you? (I laugh and left)

Painting was gone 3 days later

what kinda dumb retarded alien would eat skinny fit people? their flesh are tough and dry with no flavors. if i were an alien i'd go for the fat lazy cows with marble fat in their meat. it's tender and juicy loaded with flavors. eating skinny people is like eating wild chicken, the meat is chewy as heck and there's barely any meat on their bones. those little suckers are hard to catch on foot and/or ATV's.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

But would be funny if humanity's last hope are the clincally obese like my father who crawl from the ruins uninjured to reseed earth lol

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

Very good point

while others are frantically rooting through garbage - fat folks will merely be on a diet!

In the end times Fat folks might just literally have the last laugh..

[edit on 5-5-2010 by seataka]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
We may all be in the same sinking-from-the-weight-boat soon enough. From an email I recently received regarding MSG and obesity in this country:

MSG (a slow poison) - Very interesting information for those who eat out often.

The food additive MSG (Mono-Sodium Glutamate) is a slow poison. MSG hides behind 25 or more names, such as Natural Flavouring." MSG is even in your favourite coffee from Tim Horton's and Starbucks coffee shops!

I wondered if there could be an actual chemical causing the massive obesity epidemic, and so did a friend of mine, John Erb. He was a research assistant at the University of Waterloo in Ontario , Canada , and spent years working for the government. He made an amazing discovery while going through scientific journals for a book he was writing called The Slow Poisoning of America .

In hundreds of studies around the world, scientists were creating obese mice and rats to use in diet or diabetes test studies. No strain of rat or mice is naturally obese, so scientists have to create them. They make these creatures morbidly obese by injecting them with MSG when they are first born.

The MSG triples the amount of insulin the pancreas creates, causing rats(and perhaps humans) to become obese. They even have a name for the fat rodents they create: "MSG-Treated Rats."

When I heard this, I was shocked. I went into my kitchen and checked the cupboards and the refrigerator. MSG was in everything -- the Campbell 's soups, the Hostess Doritos, the Lays flavoured potato chips, Top Ramen,Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper, Heinz canned gravy, Swanson frozen prepared meals, and Kraft salad dressings, especially the "healthy low-fat" ones.

The items that didn't have MSG marked on the product label had something called "Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein," which is just another name for Monosodium Glutamate.

It was shocking to see just how many of the foods we feed our children everyday are filled with this stuff. MSG is hidden under many different names in order to fool those who read the ingredient list, so that they don't catch on. (Other names for MSG are "Accent, "Aginomoto," "Natural Meat Tenderizer," etc.)

But it didn't stop there.

When our family went out to eat, we started asking at the restaurants what menu items contained MSG. Many employees, even the managers, swore they didn't use MSG. But when we ask for the ingredient list, which they grudgingly provided, sure enough, MSG and Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein were everywhere.

Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, every restaurant -- even the sit-down eateries like TGIF, Chili's, Applebee's, and Denny's -- use MSG in abundance. Kentucky Fried Chicken seemed to be the WORST offender: MSG was in every chicken dish, salad dressing. and gravy. No wonder I loved to eat that coating on the skin -- their secret spice was MSG!

So why is MSG in so many of the foods we eat? Is it a preservative, or a vitamin?

Not according to my friend John Erb. In his book The Slow Poisoning of America , he said that MSG is added to food for the addictive effect it has on the human body.

Even the propaganda website sponsored by the food manufacturers lobby group supporting MSG explains that the reason they add it to food is to make people eat more.

A study of the elderly showed that older people eat more of the foods that it is added to. The Glutamate Association lobbying group says eating more is a benefit to the elderly, but what does it do to the rest of us?

"Betcha can't eat [just] one," takes on a whole new meaning where MSG is concerned! And we wonder why the nation is overweight!

MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts people to their products. It makes people choose their product over others, and makes people eat more of it than they would if MSG wasn't added.

Not only is MSG scientifically proven to cause obesity, it is an addictive substance. Since its introduction into the American food supply fifty years ago, MSG has been added in larger and larger doses to the pre-packaged meals, soups, snacks, and fast foods we are tempted to eat everyday.

The FDA has set no limits on how much of it can be added to food. They claim it's safe to eat in any amount. But how can they claim it's safe when there are hundreds of scientific studies with titles like these:

"The monosodium glutamate (MSG) obese rat as a model for the study of exercise in obesity." Gobatto CA, Mello MA, Souza CT , Ribeiro IA. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2002.

"Adrenalectomy abolishes the food-induced hypothalamic serotonin release in both normal and monosodium glutamate-obese rats." Guimaraes RB, Telles MM, Coelho VB, Mori C, Nascimento CM, Ribeiro. Brain Res Bull. 2002 Aug.

"Obesity induced by neonatal monosodium glutamate treatment in spontaneously hypertensive rats: An animal model of multiple risk factors." Iwase M, Yamamoto M, Iino K, Ichikawa K, Shinohara N, Yoshinari Fujishima. Hypertens Res. 1998 Mar.

"Hypothalamic lesion induced by injection of monosodium glutamate in suckling period and subsequent development of obesity." Tanaka K, Shimada M, Nakao K Kusunoki. Exp Neurol. 1978 Oct.

No, the date of that last study was not a typo; it was published in 1978. Both the "medical research community" and "food manufacturers" have known about the side effects of MSG for decades.

Many more of the studies mentioned in John Erb's book link MSG to diabetes, migraines and headaches, autism, ADHD, and even Alzheimer's.

So what can we do to stop the food manufactures from dumping this fattening and addictive MSG into our food supply and causing the obesity epidemic we now see?

Several months ago, John Erb took his book and his concerns to one of the highest government health officials in Canada . While he was sitting in the government office, the official told him, "Sure, I know how bad MSG is. I wouldn't touch the stuff." But this top-level government official refuses to tell the public what he knows.

The big media doesn't want to tell the public either, fearing issues with their advertisers. It seems that the fallout on the fast food industry may hurt their profit margin. The food producers and restaurants have been addicting us to their products for years, and now we are paying the price for it.

Our children should not be cursed with obesity caused by an addictive food additive.

But what can I do about it? I'm just one voice! What can I do to stop the poisoning of our children, while our governments are insuring financial protection for the industry that is poisoning us?

This message is going out to everyone I know in an attempt to tell you the truth that the corporate-owned politicians and media won't tell you.

The best way you can help to save yourself and your children from this drug-induced epidemic is to forward this article to everyone.

With any luck, it will circle the globe before politicians can pass the legislation protecting those who are poisoning us.

The food industry learned a lot from the tobacco industry. Imagine if big tobacco had a bill like this in place before someone blew the whistle on nicotine?

If you are one of the few who can still believe that MSG is good for us and you don't believe what John Erb has to say, see for yourself.

Go to the National Library of Medicine at www.pubmed.com. Type in the words "MSG Obese" and read a few of the 115 medical studies that appear.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join