It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity: Disgusting People with No Self-Respect or Post-Apocalypse Saviors of Humanity?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
You’ve seen them. 10 year old children that weigh over 100 pounds! Profoundly obese mothers at the mall food court—so fat that their form barely resembles anything human—feeding Big Macs and large orders of fries (they call ‘em vegetables) to their children, smiling giddily because they don’t have to prepare yet another dinner for their kids, which would cut into TV-watching time. It was only 10 years ago that these people were the exception rather than the norm. But now, they account for an alarming percentage of our population, destroying themselves but more importantly, the lives of their very own children by subjecting them to incredible illnesses, all because of their own low self-concept, their laziness and me-first attitude, or simply their lack of education.

Flash forward to the Bible’s Apocalypse, ATS’s wealth of info on 2012, Nostradamus’ predictions, and a plethora of other seers’ and saints’ pointing to the apocalyptic events headed for us in just a few short ticks.
Is there a connection between the sudden rise in obesity and these warnings of imminent disaster? Does God have a plan we haven’t even begun to fathom? When there is no food to be found, who will starve or survive? In that precarious interim between disaster and humanity’s foothold on rebuilding itself, will the obese be the ones who can bridge that gap when there is no food to be found and the rest of us are all starving to death?
When the dust clears, will they be the ones who went into 2012 fat and came out thin finding themselves the sole survivors of human kind? They say God works in mysterious ways. Will they be the ones stepping forth on a charred Earth, planting the seeds of a new Human future... all because they 'fueled up' beforehand?

...or will they just end up being large lumps of fat lying on the side of the road that we will have to shovel into a pit so we aren’t overrun by flies?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

Brilliant! Intelligent, original and most importantly humourous.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yep, we'll persist after all the supermodels and hard-core health nuts are dried up and blowing along the roads like leaves in autumn. Naaaa, we'll be camped out at Wal-Mart, viciously defending our stash!!!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Or people will become cannibals?

Hehehe...Sorry I didn't mean to take us down that road.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It is quite obvious you put quite a lot of thought into this.
It was a great read. Major star and flag.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Ignorance is astounding !

Not over weight personally, but I'd bet a $100 bill that a good percentage of Americas obesity problem is related to endocrine disruptor's in the food supply; that coupled with their poor choice in diet. The endocrine disruptor (one class in particular) contribute to the drop in IQ seen over the past few decades.

+12 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
You could argue that since obese people are not in shape they will have more issues performing the rigorous physical daily activities that would be required to survive in such harsh conditions.

And unless they had a good supply of clean drinking water, they would be no better than anyone else.

I find it unsetteling that you assume that anyone who is obese sits in the food court at the mall eating mc d's so that they dont have to cut into tv time cooking for their kids. COME ON, there are many reasons for people being overweight such as medical, emotional and financial issues (have you noticed how expensive it is to buy healthy food? Ten bucks for two chicken breasts when you could buy a family pack of hamberger meat for the same cost and feed the whole family with leftovers.)

Yes, obesity is a major issue, but I dont think its fair to assume that all obese people are bad parents who think french fries are veggies.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
You're assuming that these obese people you speak of know where to get drinkable water from. If they can't find it, they're going to end up like everyone else.

Personally, I know how much it is frowned upon, and I would probably throw up first with the prospect of it, but eating other (already dead) people sounds good to me in a survival situation. As long as they aren't related to me. And thoroughly cooked.

But seriously, if we are expecting people to survive an apocalypse, then mental and physical fitness will play a very important role. You don't get either of those eating fast food and watching TV all day long.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
If the excessively obese end up as the last people left alive humanity would be ending pretty quickly. Here's a news story about a mother who is obviously working hard at Mother of the year.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
lol the thread title was funny, imho i think fat people are more of a burden of themselfs because they are not at their best with their limiting factors so its better to have a healthy population wstf in my opinion.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by togetherwestand]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Hahaha I love it. Well done

But, fat people will still starve just a quick as normal people I think... If there's a nuclear winter perhaps they'll be harvested for jackets? Buffalo Bill all round

+6 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
all because of their own low self-concept, their laziness and me-first attitude, or simply their lack of education.

This sounds like the perfect description of someone who makes generalizations and judgements about others to boost up their own self worth.

+28 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Dear OP,

Sorry everyone does not fit your ideal weight standards or economical standards.

Unfortunately, while waiting for my retirement benefits to kick in.....I had to bow down and ask for food stamps. Yes, never thought in my life I would have to do this after being very successful at times in my life.

I got sick, lost everything and I had and needed to rely on my guberment cheese.

Try to eat on $200.00 a month via food stamps. Options.........lots of pasta, beans and basically food not fit for a human. I gained a great deal of weight. Fresh vegetables and fruit were off the menu.

Doing well financially now and am losing weight, due to fact I can now afford healthy food.

Don't judge people or generalize. We are going through very bad times economically. We eat what we can afford.

Unfortunatley, affordable food is sewage laden fat infested garbage. Many do not have a choice.

You want to blame anyone, blame the food industry for gaming against the poor.

Glad your svelt, well to do and better than the rest of the human race.

Stuff it buddy. God forbid you come down with a deadly disease and need to rely on subsistance. Obviously, you are young and indestructable and have no idea what happens in the real world.

N'ough said. Hope you continue to live a life of health, luxury and prosperity.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
As a fat man as the uneducated call it, Obesity has proven to be a problem in some. Others like myself are large and in charge of their bodies. I can run and keep pace with smaller people. Maybe not for hours on end, but if I pace myself I can go for a long time. I can pull my body up a rope when I see a need for it too. My body has over the years grown something I like to call muscles and they support my body. If the SHTF and food is scarce I plan on eating little people to survive. Since I'm the larger man I should be king like in the past. I will have in shape people to do my bidding (those that don't want to be eaten) and I will loose the weight like everyone else from lack of food. however when I do, I will still be doing exercise of lifting my heavy frame. So as you lot start to loose weight and muscle do to not having any reserves I on the other hand will remain strong and maintain my strength during the decline. Now I'm not saying that miss 1000lbs mom could do it. however I already tested my metal during the Quebec ice storm of 98, where I had to break up ice and start fires and general hard outdoor living and sadly we didn't have much to eat back then. So I starved for a week living on crackers and I'm still here. So don't assume that all fat people are lazy and stupid. We come in all shapes and sizes and some of us have enough pre-thought to figure out who will be the first main course.

(Obviously joking about eating people.... or am I? ahahahahahahah!)

+3 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I hope your post was a poor attempt at sarcasm. Man, there are some beautiful people out there, some are skinny, some are fat, some in between. Not all fat people are guilty of poor diet, laziness, not the me first attitude either.

Believe it or not, one day when you grow up and mature beyond middle age, you might be fat too. I've seen it happen to a lot of skinny not so young anymore people. Some people are on a very limited budget, and they do the best they can...unfortunately, the dollar menu at McD's is it.

Also, there are a lot of big, chunky folks here in the country that could work the stuff out of you. We call'em "corn fed" women and men. Make no mistake, they bale and throw hay all day, build barns, handle and wrangle cattle and livestock, ... not lazy nor weak. After one of their days, we like a supper of country fried steak, taters and gravy, beans and maters, bisquits... oh, and sweet iced tea.

Anyway, the generalizations you make are the kind that iggnorant people make about others... what are your views on African Americans or Jews or Polish People or those with Downs Syndrome? These are all God's children...just like fat people... just like you.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Personally, I was assuming that the OP was talking about morbidly obese people that do absolutely nothing to help themselves or their situations. Most of my family are big AND relatively active, probably more so than me and I'm built like two ironing boards glued together. They're hard working people.

I will agree that the worst foods are the easiest to afford, but here in the UK vegetables are cheaper in some places than they used to be, rivalling the cost of fatty foods. Addiction to grease laden meals is also another big issue that the industry is less than helpful with addressing.

I still stand by what I said though, mental and physical fitness is important during times of an apocalyptic nature, although I think most people's minds will give out long before their bodies, whether big or small.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This is highly offensive. I am not obese but I am over weight. I was always a skinny 5'5 98lbs until I had my 3rd child. I eat better than probably most people here on ATS. I have always had a natural aversion to greasy foods, and then after I became pregnant with my oldest just the thought of anything fried made me nauseated. I don't touch anything that comes in a box. My rule of thumb is if I can't tell what plant animal or mineral it came from by looking at it I won't touch it. processed foods, trans fats and preservatives don't come anywhere near my body aside from milk and canned corn.
I am extremely fit, can walk for miles. I am a health nut! but far from skinny. My body changed with childbirth, there is nothing I can do about it. I don't think 5 hours a day of intense cardio would do much but I am already doing that running around chasing after kids working on my yard doing my own home repair.
Funny thing is when I was super skinny I was raised on Mc.Donalds and other foods I wouldn't come near with a ten foot poll today. People need to stop being so ignorant about the diet of over weight people.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I m flagging your thread to attract the absolute idiocy to your post.

2nd line.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
There's another thing about obese people and a terrible event to destroy our civilization.

If the polar ice caps suddently melt, and floods cover the world's low areas, they could float away to safety better than skinny people, who would merely sink to the bottom of the ocean in their designer jeans.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

You have no idea what it is to feel cold and hungry all the time.

No idea

Non empathetic, no feeling, no idea the concept is beyond you.

Always hungry, always cold.

I would not wish this even upon the most vile human lilke Hitler.

A constant hunger and cold will drive you crazy.

But most skinny people have no comprehension of the hunger.

I had surgery to "correct mu hunger".

People who have little hunger have no idea and it is beyond them the insatiable hunger. Maybe people who are addicted to sex or drugs may have a glimpse but the "hunger" is unbelievable.

Gastroc Bypass surgery helps, but the hunger returns and never quite leaves you.

This I pour from my heart so I will not visit the "replies" herein.

Most skinny people have no real comprehension of what it is to be truely hungry.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by ofhumandescent]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join