It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity: Disgusting People with No Self-Respect or Post-Apocalypse Saviors of Humanity?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
These are the facts....

The ONLY way a person who does not have a serious genetic condition that causes severe weight gain ( 1 in 10,000 ) is to eat too much over an extended period of time. This amount of food will differ from person to person. So you only eat to your bodies needs. I put on excess body-fat if I eat just 1 extra small meal a day. At 40 my metabolism changed suddenly and I had to adjust my diet, no big deal and it was the logical thing to do. I still eat McDs , but just not the fries.

No amount of self pitying BS is going to change that obesity is purely self inflicted.

And before I get flamed, I am a Mortician that primarily deals with morbid obese cases, and designed the first Vibration Training device for obese people because of my Mortuary work. I train these people for free. So I am not an uncaring individual, but I see no positives in self denial.

Now to the OPs question....

Clinically obese people could feasibly have an advantage, but morbidly obese people would not. Their system can not take stress and they find it hard to fight even the smallest infection.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I'm thinking that a persons location may be the ultimate determining factor in a persons chance for survival.

Would a fit person living in an area with no food and little water have more of a chance than an obese person with little food and ample water?

No, the fat person will simply adapt, shed the weight and become strong while the skinny person dies of thirst.

The best thing that we have going for us in this scenario is the fact that our bodies can adapt to a wide range of conditions, as has been proven throughout evolutionary history.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
OMG is this a good post!! Really descriptive and I can see how people who are overweight could be put off.

I'm not sure if the OP is poking fun at fat people, 2012-ers or both or what? I'll admit it--I'm overweight but not offended by this post. ANYONE can cook cheaper than eat out. A pound of frozen veggies costs 99 cents or less when they go on sale. Stock up! Any hamburger you cook at home is going to be better than some McD thing full of salt and other nasty stuff. And what does it cost to exercise???

ANYway, this post is about obese people SURVIVING!!!

[edit on 4-5-2010 by bootlug]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OkayToday
There's another thing about obese people and a terrible event to destroy our civilization.

If the polar ice caps suddently melt, and floods cover the world's low areas, they could float away to safety better than skinny people, who would merely sink to the bottom of the ocean in their designer jeans.

Loved your creative post. I'd given you twelve stars, but am not allowed.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

I am sorry but I have to strongly disagree. 100 years ago and males only, I would have agreed with you. But today we have so much crap in our foods its changing our body chemistry. For women childbirth alone does that, For many people now days, the same amount of exercise my burn a lot of calories in one person but hardly any at all in another.

As far as survival goes, I don't think it matters how much you way but how good of shape you are in. You good be super skinny and in horrible shape.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by calstorm]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bootlug
OMG is this a good post!! Really descriptive and I can see how people who are overweight could be put off.

I'm not sure if the OP is poking fun at fat people, 2012-ers or both or what? I'll admit it--I'm overweight but not offended by this post. ANYONE can cook cheaper than eat out. A pound of frozen veggies costs 99 cents or less when they go on sale. Stock up! Any hamburger you cook at home is going to be better than some McD thing full of salt and other nasty stuff. And what does it cost to exercise???

ANYway, this post is about obese people SURVIVING!!!

Respectfully, to your better judgement post, frozen vegetables are devoid of the healthier fresh vegetables. It's like eating cardboard, but at least it fills you up. I honestly mean you no disrespect, because at least you are showing your humanism.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
[edit on 4-5-2010 by jupiter869]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45

Respectfully, to your better judgement post, frozen vegetables are devoid of the healthier fresh vegetables. It's like eating cardboard, but at least it fills you up. I honestly mean you no disrespect, because at least you are showing your humanism.

Well then forget the frozen veggies! They ain't for you.
Go for the McD!!! It's EASIER!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bootlug

Well then forget the frozen veggies! They ain't for you.
Go for the McD!!! It's EASIER!

I lost 30 lbs after my food stamp experience. Fast food is not on my menu. Soo....bad attempt at shaming me. Besides, under the fat I previously had, I discoverd my muscularity. It's nice being better built and looking better than skinny geeks hiding behind a computer screen. I won't throw my money away on over priced fast food devoid of nutrition. Vegetarian here that supplements protien. Glad to know there's another superior human being on board here. Have you considered marrying the OP?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

reply to post by jupiter869

What a hateful post.

If I consume over 900 calories a day I gain weight.

How much do you consume?

I underwent surgey to ulter my digestive system to become "socially acceptable".

Ever since birth I have had a incredible and insatible hunger mixed with always being cold.

At around 30, after three children I couldn't control "the hunger".

Some people are blessed with genes that allow them to eat anything and everything and remain thin.

Some people barely eat 1/2 of what skinny people do and gain weight.

My doctor says, "Well if we had a nuclear war and there was no food, you would survive".

And until I hit puberty I was bone thin, so thin people would offer me food off the street.

Most of being thin is genes.

grow up and look beyond your eye sight.

One's weight and physical appearence is insignificant.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Whoa! I'm sensing a touch of body dismorphic disorder in the OP. The faults we see in others are the traits we tend to dislike in ourselves. There's definitely some issues there with overweight people. So is your question due to your low confidence in your own ability to survive a post-apocolyptic situation? Here's to hoping that you don't come down with some disease that makes you fat, obese or (oh noes!) morbidly obease!! Or maybe you want to, so you survive the apocalypse. Whatever.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Dear OP,

Sorry everyone does not fit your ideal weight standards or economical standards.

Unfortunately, while waiting for my retirement benefits to kick in.....I had to bow down and ask for food stamps. Yes, never thought in my life I would have to do this after being very successful at times in my life.

I got sick, lost everything and I had and needed to rely on my guberment cheese.

Try to eat on $200.00 a month via food stamps. Options.........lots of pasta, beans and basically food not fit for a human. I gained a great deal of weight. Fresh vegetables and fruit were off the menu.I

Doing well financially now and am losing weight, due to fact I can now afford healthy food.

Don't judge people or generalize. We are going through very bad times economically. We eat what we can afford.

Unfortunatley, affordable food is sewage laden fat infested garbage. Many do not have a choice.

You want to blame anyone, blame the food industry for gaming against the poor.

Glad your svelt, well to do and better than the rest of the human race.

Stuff it buddy. God forbid you come down with a deadly disease and need to rely on subsistance. Obviously, you are young and indestructable and have no idea what happens in the real world.

N'ough said. Hope you continue to live a life of health, luxury and prosperity.

Great joke topic I loled. As many have stated before me without clean water your toast. With clean water obese people could survive much longer on their bodyfat stores.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the OP. All those like you lashing out against him are more than likely obese and self concious about it.

1) Endocrine disrupters aside the two biggest reasons for obesity are laziness and poor food choices. These people have a thousand excuses about time etcetera about why they can't exercise.

2)You are full of it about the cost. I am a personal trainer and 250lb bodybuilder and I spend about 180 a month on food healthy and nutritious food. 45 a week my total food bill for a month with protien powder is 215. And I could subsist without the protein powder. You obviously don't know how to shop.

3) Excuses excuses your abdicating responsibility to food companies for your bad choices.

4)I'm not saying its easy but nothing in life is, it comes down to priorities if your health is paramount you'll take care of it.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

'A lot of obesity is self-inflicted, but there is a sizeable group of people who are not in control of what their body is doing to them.

People can be tested if they think they are affected by this gene.' When humans were hunters and gatherers thousands of years ago, people with the obesity gene would have had an advantage.

'They would have lived longer than the rest of the population because they would have been able to go without food for longer when none was available,' says Dr Farooqi. 'And because they were so active, they would have burned off excess calories. Now, we don't live that way, so people with this gene pile on the pounds.' The gene - Mc4r - is in a part of the brain that sends commands out to burn energy.

www.thefreelibrary.com...:+is+a+caveman+gene+really+to+blame%3F+Good+Health.-a0124711941

So with this in mind maybe those with this gene would have a better chance of survival.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Some people are blessed with genes that allow them to eat anything and everything and remain thin.

Yea, but your gene just might help you survive longer, when TSHTF.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ISHAMAGI

You are an absoulte fabricating liar. A 250 lb bodybuilder craps more in one day than I can eat in in one week. How are those steroids working out for you?

Pfft. More disinformation. At my peak at body building (naturally) I had to eat a great deal of quality food to sustain my muscularity. And I was smaller than you.

Are you one of those Indian spiritualists that subsists on the energy of the sun? I doubt it.

You can't fool someone who walked in your shoes. I easliy ate $400.00 per month to maintain my body( at its peak). Guess you discovered a really great secret to make you, like others, above the rest of the real humans. Jeez, you really expect me to believe that?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Not very PC, but nonetheless pretty funny OP. Interesting too when you think about it, you might have a point!

But in all seriousness:
If people are happy in their current body shape and size then who am I to judge them? Most obese people you do encounter don't exactly come across as happy and joyful, but I doubt emphasising their large size will help their self-esteem. Unless you are genuinely concerned about somebody's health, it's best to keep your mouth shut.

On the other hand, we live in a society where it is socially acceptable to be upfront and tell, say a smoker, that they shouldn't smoke because it is bad for them. But if we see an obese person, we do not have this same freedom to go up to them and tell them that they are endangering their lives and eating themselves to death.

[edit on 4/5/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Evolution has shown that physically fit people are more likely to survive than unfit people;

Why do you think women are attracted to men with huge muscles?
Its because over the course of millions of years, the men that were fit were able to gather food better and offered more protection

Maybe during the cavemen days they had to consciously think about choosing the man with a lot of muscle; but after millions of years of doing the same thing; it has become an instinct;

The same would apply to women;
why do men choose fit looking women over fat women?
Because instinctively we know that fit women can have more children and are able to survive better
After millions of years of our ancestors consciously making that decision, it has evolved to just an emotion for us; which is what we call "sexy"

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DjSharperimage
The same would apply to women;
why do men choose fit looking women over fat women?
Because instinctively we know that fit women can have more children and are able to survive better
After millions of years of our ancestors consciously making that decision, it has evolved to just an emotion for us; which is what we call "sexy"

I don't know about you, but when I look at a woman like Jennifer Hawkins I am not too fussed about her potential to father my children.

[edit on 5/5/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is the problem right here with people who use their "metabolism" as an excuse for gaining weight.....

" Some people barely eat 1/2 of what skinny people do and gain weight. "

Who told you to compare ? That is about as silly as comparing your fingerprints with someone else. Your metabolism is individual to only you, and you learn to eat accordingly.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Well, I decided that I would bump in and get in the middle of this flame war against the obese, which, while I appreciate the humor in the OP, I still think it is quite ridiculous to ridicule people for anything. Some that have posted sound more like the brainwashed MTV generation that is destroying our civilization, one braincell at a time.

I do not think that skinny is attractive by any sense of the imagination. Those people look sick, and you're right, they would probably not survive if the food source was scarce.

I am a big guy for my height. I don't eat more than 2 meals a day, and I never have. I have always been big boned from the time I was a child. I don't judge others for how they look, nor should any body else for that matter. Quite frankly, it's none of anybody's damn business how someone else goes about their lives. I do worry about the health implications of the morbidly obese, however. I don't know these people could ever let themselves get that large in the first place. The brain may be the first place to start. The mind can do powerful things to someone's psyche, especially if they aren't in good mental facilities in the first place. A poster mentioned "the hunger." Well, after watching enough Discovery Health on this topic, I do believe it to be a valid topic of discussion. Overeating is a disease, and it's not about being "lazy" or "making excuses." It's a medical diagnosis, that only intense psychotherapy can treat. So for those of you out there that would rather "bash on the fatties" then get your facts straight, I would point you to the motto of ATS: "Deny Ignorance." It's obvious to me that some of you aren't doing that.

And besides, when push comes to shove, I bet I can outlift, outwork, and outrun (long distance, because I don't do sprints) most of you posting in here (well, all except for maybe Mr. 'Roid Rage, 250 lb body builder/personal trainer
). I have what are called "farm muscles." I was built that way, and the way I see it, it's a status symbol of my own making. When people need help moving heavy things, or doing intense manual labor, who do they call? Me. They don't ask skinny Joe Schmoe down the street, because, quite frankly, they're afraid that he could get hurt.

So for some of the people in here, start swinging your judgmental pendulum the other way and see if you truly like what you are looking at in the mirror. I bet that at some deep level, you are just as insecure as the next guy, or girl.

Good post, OP. It's a great work of satire.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join