It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Do you have a Novel Solution to the Gulf Oil Spill?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
The real problem isn't that it is pouring oil now. That will be fixed in short order.

I thought BP officials stated that the gusher is so big and powerful it would take weeks or months to shut it off

Originally posted by Aeons
The problem is the petroleum already in the water. How to contain it, how to sop it up, or break it down. Fast.

Rocks. Oy.

Two options here: 1)collect it or 2)burn it! I think the second option is safer and faster.....it will look like the persian gulf inferno when sadam lit his wells on fire.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I wish I did have a novel way to solve the problem.

Aside from stopping an ecological disaster, if this problem could be solved, BP would pay untold amounts of dollars for a solution.

Which begs the question, shouldn't they have thought about this before? Most times a major project is planned, at least some thoughts are considered for what might go wrong.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
lol lol for a country who went to war for oil it"s funny how we blew it and are now pumping 200,000+ gallons a day off our shores causing a gaint disaster that could get really bad.... just think about we made a giant hole in the earth that is out of control and we cant stop the leak. The media now brings up this fail NYC bombing to distract the people from the real threat we are facing! Are you kidding me this Time sq bombing is bs if a terrorist wanted blow up it time sq it would have happned. They don't care to die lol it's true they say it all the time. It is all a distraction. We can"t seem to stop this it and it will only get worst and the media has seem for forget.
How can we stop this OIL LEAK?
wcbstv.com...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Use a HAARP or similar scalar em array to create a plasma bottle around the effected area, melting the rock to the sides of the pipe, gradually pinching it closed.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Call me crazy, but I got a strange feeling either god or the illuminati are out to get america. Economical terror combined with ecological terror combined with right wing racial profiling.

Strap on your seat belts fellow americans, the ride is gonna get very, very, very, very, very rough! True patriots should be organising by now and mobilising before too late.......

BP, a british owned company, will be the sacrificial lamb to bring north america to its knees. The rothschilds(one of the 13 elite families) reside in england so it seems conceivable the two are connected, or may be not? I can't say for sure...

Tell me, does it not seem odd TO ANYONE that oil rigs have been allowed to operate offshore for decades, yet they have almost ZERO preperation for emergencies?

How can they have the balls to tell people it will take MONTHS to cap???

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
There's a technical thread on another forum, gcaptain.com, and the members seem to have pretty deep insights in to the nature of the problem as well as how to possibly put this disaster to bed:

gcaptain.com...

I just hope it doesn't take 2 months to actually turn the damn thing off. That sounds awful.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I say take one of our decomissioned air craft carriers and jam it in the hole. Hole gets plugged with some rocks added and we now have an artificial reef

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
...There are bacteria that consume oil. Did no one think of this before? They do consume other things, and that might harm the environment, but, really, is the alternative better?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well, it seems like our major problem right now is the pressure that is behind the flow. The pressure was so great, that it prevented (and is still preventing) these massive locks from closing. That must be one hell of a huge pressure.

If P = F/A (or Pressure = Force/Area)

then we can reduce the pressure by either changing the area of the hole (i.e. think of a garden hose), or removing the force.

It would be easy enough to blast a bigger hole to stop the flow from coming so hard, which would reduce the pressure.... but then we'd probably lose a lot more oil in the process....which might nullify any advantage of reducing the pressure.

That leaves the other variable, F, or force.

What I don't understand is the FORCE behind this oil field. What is the force behind this oil well?

Is it a brand new well that they just dug, and so it caused a "gusher" like when they used to tap new oil wells on land? Is it just like any other oil well, but the safety valves just didn't work? Did the force suddenly change because they hit a pocket of natural gas? Is there something behind the oil pushing it up into the ocean? Or is there something else going on that they are not telling us?

In addition to finding out more about the force behind it, I'd like to know the answer to some other questions, such as: How long does an ocean oil well gush, after initially being tapped? How long would we have to wait for the pressure to naturally subside?

I think in order to find better answers, we need to understand the problem better.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Biggest twin-hulled ship in the world with giant vertical cylindrical containment tanks ranged down the middle between the hulls.

The cylindrical tanks extend to maximum depth into the water beneath the ship, and are open to the sea at the bottom.

At the top of each tank protruding from the deck is an industrial/mining scale air pump. The pump creates a massive air differential by pumping the air out from the cavity in the top of the tank and the surface of the water in the tank.

Passing up through the centre of each tank into the air/vacuum cavity is a metal pipe around two metres/six feet in diameter.

At the other end of this open pipe is a rotating cylindrical bearing the same diameter as the pipe, which is lowered from the deck by rail-crane/giant forklift into the sea, just below the surface.

The vacuum in the tops of the tanks will begin to draw seawater and oil through the pipe, and in to the tanks. The water passing through the end of the pipe will begin to rotate the cylindrical bearing at the nozzle end, creating a whirlpool.

Oil is viscous - that is, it sticks to itself. Oil drawn in to the whirlpool would drag more oil with it. It would be something like drawing a tablecloth down through a hole in a table.

Oil floats so the mixture of oil and seawater that would flow into the tank would separate itself with the oil in the top, and the seawater being pushed out the bottom of the tank, into the sea, as the tank fills with oil.

The end result - a tank of oil which could then be pumped out to clear each tank by sealing off the bottom of the tank and reversing the pump to pressurize the top cavity and force the oil back out of the tank into the hold of an oil tanker.

Or the grandaddy of all medicinal cannabis administration implements?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
My process would be in a 4-step phase
for all 3 wells

I would use AUF Technology
(Articial Underwater Freezing)

Phase 1
Use the domes to create funnel spout
to collect leaking oil to the surface (only
temporary)

Phase 2
Hover a submersible into place to
deliver the Cryo-Freeze. It would be
an equivalent to getting a localized
pain killer for surgery. The freeze
would consist of a bubble type
sphere to include the bore well
and pipes to freeze everything
within a certain radius. -250 C.
Like getting a piece of ice stuck
in your straw at a restaurant.
If there are localized marine life and are frozen,
they have a chance to recover after
thawing.

Phase 3
On the ocean floor, bore a hole
in at an angle toward the well
but do not intersect. Just get close
enough to crush the well shut (pinch)
underground 250-500 ft. Place a
conventional device bomb into the
new bored hole. Detonate it to
temporary shut the leak (secondary
shut-off).

Phase 4
Now remove the cryo-freeze bubble
from the ocean floor (thaw out) and
replace with cement. Repeat cementing
for bored hole as well. 2 caps to the
same well. Both have double shut-off
obstacles.

Repeat as necessary for all 3 leaks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alternate method would be
Artificial Molten Lava (man-made)
like from a volcano, that seals up
earths cracks pretty good and it's
earth's own band-aid.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Yes - however if you can contain the area then at least you have a chance to deal with it.

I pour a quart of milk on your table. Would you prefer I pick the table with a lip around the edge, or do you want to clean the milk off the table, the floor and all the chairs, and move the stove to get it all?

I bet you pick the table with a lip around the edge.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I dont have any technical ideas on how to solve this problem.

The best thing people like us can do I think is to start / join a group that will help with efforts to help contain / clean up this mess.

So if someone out there has the skills / knowledge to help organize a group using man power + internet then that would probably be the best idea for now.

We should let people with the most knowledge on the subject think of the actual method of stopping the leak while the rest of us help out in whatever way we can.

There should be enough unemployed people out there who would be willing to help with the right financial compensation.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
My Thread on the Oil Spill

The first thing we need to do in "solving" this catastrophic oil spill is to get the situation in perspective.

It's NOT a catastrophe.

I won't repeat the entire contents of my thread here, but I will repost this:

Let's consider the observational skills of a Gulf Coast resident who has overflown the current "catastrophic" oil spill. I take from the uber-Left Huffington Post:

Congressman Compares Gulf Coast Oil Spill To 'Chocolate Milk,' Says It Will 'Break Up Naturally'

Congressman Compares Gulf Coast Oil Spill To 'Chocolate Milk,' Says It Will 'Break Up Naturally'

Rep. Gene Taylor (D-Miss.) suggested over the weekend that people shouldn't be "scared" about the Gulf Coast oil spill and in justifying his claim compared the massive slick to "chocolate milk."

On Saturday, Taylor flew over the oil spill in a Coast Guard plane and at first glance declared that the site was "not as bad" as he expected it to be. Taylor flew over the site of the sunken Deepwater Horizon rig Saturday along with Department of Marine Resources Director Bill Walker and Rep. Jo Bonner of Alabama.

"At the moment, it's not as bad as I thought it would be," he said, shortly after returning from the three-hour tour.

After observing the oil spill from 1,000 feet, Taylor said in an interview with Biloxi's WLOX-TV that what many feel is an environmental and economic catastrophe is not "Katrina" or "Armageddon," adding that the "chocolate milk looking spill" is beginning to "break up naturally"

"What I want people to know is this isn't Katrina. This is not Armageddon. I did this for the Coast Guard many years ago. Yeah, it's bad. And it's terrible that there's a spill out there. But I would remind people that the oil is twenty miles from any marsh."

Which is pretty much what I've said already.

So, here we have a Congressman from the state of Mississippi, who has overflown oil spills many times when he was in the U.S. Coast Guard, DARING to suggest that it's not as bad as he expected, and that it'll break up naturally.

What's BAD is that I had to go to the Huffington Post for this story, instead of the MSM. And the Huffington Post pulled it from an interview on Biloxi's WLOX-TV.

Which says to me that the MSM doesn't want a "light at the end of the tunnel" story on this, or else it would be a headline story. Hey, a Democrat Congressman says "DON'T WORRY"!!

How often does that happen?

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
Use a HAARP or similar scalar em array to create a plasma bottle around the effected area, melting the rock to the sides of the pipe, gradually pinching it closed.

If that type of technology existed we'd have nothing to worry about now would we?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop

Originally posted by GhostR1der

If that type of technology existed we'd have nothing to worry about now would we?

There's a lot of fixing that can be done by it, but its most lethal component is that of war... all conventional weaponry is obsolete. Planes, missiles, bullets, flamethrowers, soldiers. Give me a high powered scalar inferiometer and i'll take the entire US millitary on, solo. Nukes are lumbering party poppers by comparison...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Heres my guess.
Create a whirlpool near the area in which all the oil will flow in to, instead of every where.
and then after that you just burn it all...
Or at least that's a start.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity
If your child asked you what would happen if the asteroid that has been growing bigger in the sky these past few days hit the earth would you say it would cause unimaginable death and suffering, or would you just say everything would be fine and to just sleep well?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Steve8511

yes, it is a fact that France did all their nuke experiments in the waters of the south seas and finally stopped after much public disapproval. Nukes are not the solution to this problem when one does not know the end result of such an effort. The amount of pressure does need to be known otherwise one could put a robotic sub in nose first and seal it that way...but if it was just a cork in a champagne glass it would not do any good at all...it would just be blown away....but if I were a cartoonist, I would draw a picture with the robot sub sticking its nose in the hole...bottoms up! Besides it could work!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
If your child asked you what would happen if the asteroid that has been growing bigger in the sky these past few days hit the earth would you say it would cause unimaginable death and suffering, or would you just say everything would be fine and to just sleep well?

Nice observation. Perfect. It's all about perception. If you'd like to stay in that vein of thought, I'd recommend Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man... Specifically, I'd point you to the story "The Last Night of the World" within the collection.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 5/4/2010 by Doc Velocity]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join