It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Do you have a Novel Solution to the Gulf Oil Spill?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

When was the last time you trusted anything a congressman said?

He's still not an expert in these things. I wonder how many oil spills he's flown over that are pumping out this much oil?

As someone has already said, they'll say anything if it makes us sleep better at night.

Any bets if this congresman has an interest in future drilling activities? Wouldn't want people getting a bad picture of offshore drilling, so lets say it hasn't caused too much damage.

CX.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
When was the last time you trusted anything a congressman said?

THAT is the quote of the day, right.

Originally posted by CX
He's still not an expert in these things. I wonder how many oil spills he's flown over that are pumping out this much oil?

The Congressman from Mississippi was a U.S. Coast Guard, and there is a regular interaction between the Coast Guard and the Petroleum Industry in the Gulf of Mexico, so I would say the Congressman is at least qualified to make such a determination.

Originally posted by CX
Any bets if this congresman has an interest in future drilling activities? Wouldn't want people getting a bad picture of offshore drilling, so lets say it hasn't caused too much damage.

Oh, you bet. Look, I grew up on the Gulf Coast and I know that these guys are cheerleaders for oil drilling. And I'm telling you and they are telling you that it aint as bad a deal as the the mainstream media has sensationalized it.

— Doc Velocity

Just wanted to add..

The Story IS The Story

[edit on 5/4/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The latest I heard via AM radio this morning is that BP has plans to sink a large inverted funnel over the leak at the seabed. Concrete will be poured over the funnel to weigh it down.
Hose attached to the outlet of the funnel will take the oil to be processed.
Processed? they didn't explain that part of it.

Might sound crazy, but that is what they said(ABC News).

CX

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by CX

The Congressman from Mississippi was a U.S. Coast Guard, and there is a regular interaction between the Coast Guard and the Petroleum Industry in the Gulf of Mexico, so I would say the Congressman is at least qualified to make such a determination.

— Doc Velocity

Fair one.

I'd just have little trust in the people that make the decisons over there, no matter what experience they have.

If BP are responsible for the rig and even they got the figures wrong from day one, how anyone else is able to say it's all hunky dory is beyond me.

CX.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I just posted today's official update
www.abovetopsecret.com...
managed to get a couple of pictures too

[edit on 4-5-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

I mentioned in another thread about rocks & stone being used to plug the hole until something else longer term can be done...

Just need a few helicopters to hover over the area and disperse the rocks/stones over desired area...

Or you fill a few containers with heavy material and let them sit on top of the hole, gradually you can move the container to fill the hole by other means...

[edit on 4-5-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
If BP is paying to clean up, I think they should be in charge since this is their operation. The West Virginia mine explosion took over a week to finish, and finally they realized they walked passed the trapped miners the first day. That is the incompetence of the federal government. Why should the executive branch be handling any of this? BP should be in charge, with Haliburton paying the expenses if they are also at fault (for the cement construction).

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Once again I have to mess up all your bright shinny ideas with an ugly fact...
It's not some open hole on the sea floor...
What happened is when the rig sank it took with it a mile of riser pipe... that's the pipe coming up from the sea floor to the rig above...

So laying on the sea floor is one mile of bent twisted pipe... that's where the leak is coming from... in fact its not one but three leaks, along three sections of that pipe...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Heres the "funnel" that BP are making to hopefully stop the leak:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Hope it works.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Thanks for the funnel pic.
Let's hope it works, and soon.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Even if the oil breaks up "naturally" you realize that pumping and dumping 10s of thousands of barrells into the ocean is changing its viscosity, right?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Thousands of gigantic burlap bags filled with wood chips that would soak up the oil and sink to the bottom of the gulf.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
SUbmersible Drilling rig and cap.....Capable of anchoring into the bedrock for stationary maneuvers into the flow of the hole....And as posted above collars for the leaks all on board....or rip out the pipe to the source then cap it off ready for use later. Easy and simple but then greed isn't a breeding ground for intelligence. Some of the human race are just so thick. Let the hybrids at it.
BUT NO!!They'd rather fix the leaks and carry on getting profit ASAP greed can be a UGLY thing.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Can't we just squeeze the pipe shut?

How about we add new piping or repair the current pipe in order to redirect it to the surface on awaiting ships?

Why not add a new valve onto the existing pipes?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DreamerOracle
SUbmersible Drilling rig and cap.....Capable of anchoring into the bedrock for stationary maneuvers into the flow of the hole....And as posted above collars for the leaks all on board....or rip out the pipe to the source then cap it off ready for use later. Easy and simple but then greed isn't a breeding ground for intelligence. Some of the human race are just so thick. Let the hybrids at it.
BUT NO!!They'd rather fix the leaks and carry on getting profit ASAP greed can be a UGLY thing.

I agree completely... It is all about greed. Its a freaking hole! Cut the pipe and put a screw in it. We could have made a screw this size in a matter of hours. A compression plug even. Its not that difficult. The problem is that we have to have the oil. Which tells me one of two things, either greed has went beyond a place of sensibility or we do not have nearly the access to oil that we are being told that we do.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Hey look at this! - A few people in this thread (my self included) suggested using a nuke to sort this thing out...

Well it turns out the Russians have done this before 5 times!!!

Komsomoloskaya Pravda, the best-selling Russian daily, reports that in Soviet times such leaks were plugged with controlled nuclear blasts underground. The idea is simple, KP writes: “the underground explosion moves the rock, presses on it, and, in essence, squeezes the well’s channel.”

Yes! It’s so simple, in fact, that the Soviet Union, a major oil exporter, used this method five times to deal with petrocalamities. The first happened in Uzbekistan, on September 30, 1966 with a blast 1.5 times the strength of the Hiroshima bomb and at a depth of 1.5 kilometers. KP also notes that subterranean nuclear blasts were used as much as 169 times in the Soviet Union to accomplish fairly mundane tasks like creating underground storage spaces for gas or building canals.

linkey poos

Lets nuke it!! That is a good use for one of these things, good excuse to let one off me thinks.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Hey look at this! - A few people in this thread (my self included) suggested using a nuke to sort this thing out...

Well it turns out the Russians have done this before 5 times!!!

Komsomoloskaya Pravda, the best-selling Russian daily, reports that in Soviet times such leaks were plugged with controlled nuclear blasts underground. The idea is simple, KP writes: “the underground explosion moves the rock, presses on it, and, in essence, squeezes the well’s channel.”

Yes! It’s so simple, in fact, that the Soviet Union, a major oil exporter, used this method five times to deal with petrocalamities. The first happened in Uzbekistan, on September 30, 1966 with a blast 1.5 times the strength of the Hiroshima bomb and at a depth of 1.5 kilometers. KP also notes that subterranean nuclear blasts were used as much as 169 times in the Soviet Union to accomplish fairly mundane tasks like creating underground storage spaces for gas or building canals.

linkey poos

Lets nuke it!! That is a good use for one of these things, good excuse to let one off me thinks.

The examples are land based wells.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Not a good idea to use nukes near the ring of fire me thinks, especially with the recent activity

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

They only have one guy working on it? I thought they were spending a million a day. It looks like they are just stalling to save money.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Here is an idea I've been kicking around.

Haven't seen anyone mention it yet.

#1) Collect a bunch of really heavy rocks or boulders.

#2) Gather world fleets to carry said rocks/boulders.

#3) Pour rocks on area where hole is.

#4) Keep repeating until hole is plugged.

May take awhile, but by pure logic, eventually the hole will get plugged.

Due to the Pressure of the Oil gushing out, you will need very large rocks to start with. So the biggest ships on Earth will be necessary.

And heavy equipment to cut the rocks out of quarries.

ALTERNATE

#1) Use a Type of Concrete instead that can be created on location.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

the soviets did the same thing plugging the core of the nuclear reactor in Chernobyl in 1986 with all kinds of material ! and plugged the hole then put a shield/vault around it good idea

i thought the Cement on the gulf floor gave way ? as Halliburton put the cement there for BP and likly to be the cause of the disaster!!!!

The Halliburton cementers would have sought approval for their plans—the type of cement and how much would be used—from a BP official on board the rig before carrying out their job. Scott Dean, a BP spokesman, said it was premature to speculate on the role cement might have played in the disaster.

Halliburton also was the cementer on a well that suffered a big blowout last August in the Timor Sea, off Australia. The rig there caught fire and a well leaked tens of thousands of barrels of oil over 10 weeks before it was shut down. The investigation is continuing; Halliburton declined to comment on it.

Source..
online.wsj.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join