It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Do you have a Novel Solution to the Gulf Oil Spill?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Why is this cleanup method not being used?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

SOAK UP THE OIL

WITH STRAW AND NET IT

WITH SHRIMP BOATS

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Sri Oracle]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
When your an OIL GIANT such as BP and make TENS OF BILLIONS of dollars A YEAR in profit, you damm better make sure you have 99% of all emergency protocols COVERED!

Why should they do that?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just pay off the inspectors, have sex with them, and feed them drugs?

NEW ORLEANS – Petrochemical giant BP didn't file a plan to specifically handle a major oil spill from an uncontrolled blowout at its Deepwater Horizon project because the federal agency that regulates offshore rigs changed its rules two years ago to exempt certain projects in the central Gulf region, according to an Associated Press review of official records.
[]
BP in February 2009 stated that it was "not required" to file "a scenario for a potential blowout"
[]
In 2008, the Interior Department took disciplinary action against eight MMS employees who accepted lavish gifts, partied and — in some cases — had sex with employees from the energy companies they regulated. An investigation cited a "culture of substance abuse and promiscuity" involving employees in the agency's Denver office.

Feds Let BP Avoid Filing Blowout Plan for Gulf Rig
news.yahoo.com...

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Do you mean references to what they used at Chernobyl? I worded the post poorly; I mean like the sarcarphogi at Chernobyl, not that an underwater sarcophagi was used at Chernobyl.

www.spiegel.de...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.spaceman.ca...

I have the sneaking feeling that the oil company is trying to save the well first. This I disagree with if true. A total cap should go down first, attempts to reuse the well a very long after second. Of course if they did that public outcry would probably prevent it, so they do it first or at least in such a way as to make the well reusable as possible, regardless of the consequences to the ecology, which they probly dont legally have to pay for anyways.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidself
I have the sneaking feeling that the oil company is trying to save the well first.

I've been falling asleep for the past week or so pondering that exact sickening notion.

The chutzpah!

Sorry about the Russian confusion... I understand you're speaking of Chernobyl now; I thought you were trying to say the Russians had domed over an off shore spill in the past.

Sri

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
With that large dome on they would need a big powerful vacuum that can be able to suck up more oil than as what's coming out of it plus you have water, that will get constantly sucked up too. And just how many tanker ships are coming by to collect watered down oil? There will be quite a few trips to make. Will it be safe for ships to transport oil out in the open? Does the oil give off flammable gases? If it does, it could create the same explosion, as it happened on the rig. How long will this vacuum stay in one spot ?How deep do they have to drill this other hole? Until they inject the dense fluid into another made hole to hopefully plug the hole up which could take 3-5 months? Good luck with that, because the storm season is long way from being over. Hurricanes can spring up at anytime. Which could cause a lot of damage from the waves, and the movement from the ship could make a section of a pipe warp that's connected to the bottom of that big dome, or cause another hole to rupture. From the movement of the ship. What if the ship moves the dome off from the ruptured pipe? Will they be able to get it back onto the ruptured pipe assuming that the condition of the pipe hasn't changed?

What would happen if you plugged up a hole with magnetized putty?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Shrukin89]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I am quite certain that BP along with the US government, is trying to save the well.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shrukin89
With that large dome on they would need a big powerful vacuum that can be able to suck up more oil than as what's coming out of it plus you have water, that will get constantly sucked up too.

Actually... I think it will siphon; its a matter of physics... oil naturally rises in sea water; it should (for the most part) separate on its own.

Now that's a thought...

MAGNETIZED PUTTY

Where would we be if we could dump a large quantity of neodymium magnet powder on the well head or inject some of the same a few hundred feet down through the side of the well casing?

Sri

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

yup, call superman

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle

Originally posted by Shrukin89
With that large dome on they would need a big powerful vacuum that can be able to suck up more oil than as what's coming out of it plus you have water, that will get constantly sucked up too.

Actually... I think it will siphon; its a matter of physics... oil naturally rises in sea water; it should (for the most part) separate on its own.

Now that's a thought...

MAGNETIZED PUTTY

Where would we be if we could dump a large quantity of neodymium magnet powder on the well head or inject some of the same a few hundred feet down through the side of the well casing?

Sri

A lot of it needs to be injected, and hopefully the magnetized putty will stick to the outer walls of the oil head, disadvantage with that, is that the injection would have to be injected from a plastic tube and not a metal one. A lot of strong magnets will be hard to get off from anything that is metal, and it also probably will scramble communication systems. Any wood shrimp boats out there, that can follow directions from a vessel of where to drop it? We don't want the ROV robots get attached to the ball of magnetic putty.

But very simple thought though, that I shared. Maybe I'll come up with another in my sleep .

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuTech
My thoughts; drill an angled shaft into the main shaft and pump it full of liquid nitrogen. Only a temporary plug but should give them enough time for a more permanent solution.

I had almost the exact same idea: I thought maybe they could get a reinforced pipe 500-1000 feet down into the bore hole, despite the high pressure oil coming up; insert liquid nitrogen; then as soon as possible put in a secondary plug that would be more permanent, such as the "golf ball/tire rubber" material mentioned in the news, or some kind of super cement.

Yes, liquid nitrogen!

Maybe the angled shaft is a better idea.

Only expert scientists would know if such an idea would work, but you and I are on the same page!

Nuking it sounds pretty scary. Might not close off the high-pressured oil, but only make the hole so big that it could never be closed off.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
I am quite certain that BP along with the US government, is trying to save the well.

Or it was a planned disaster to bring down america. The NWO cannot progress until the NAU and the AMERO currency take full effect.

Unbalanced trading with china, high petrol prices, unemployment rising, deflation that leads to inflation, stock market crash, illegal immigration "crisis" and now the gulf of mexico crisis which will turn the entire south-east into a dead-zone.

Too many bad things happening at once should raise an eyebrow or two but most people are still sleeping. Sorry I don't believe in coincidence! 3 weeks have passed and they still can't cap the damm thing. Some experts say 2-3 months while others say years.

You do the math! It seems utterly unconceivable how they would go dig for oil, yet have no contigency plans. We are not talking about a small mom and pop rig, we are talking about the fifth largest petrol company in the entire world. And where is the government in all this? Do they even care? Probably not because they got paid to look the other way and will be living in underground bunkers when the # hits the fan, while us common folk will be killing each other for scraps and crumbs. 99% of the population won't have it figured out until its too late and throw in a fake alien disc-lo-sure while your at it................

[edit on 13-5-2010 by EarthCitizen07]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
i later found out that the nuke idea is actually quite good: the Russians used it to seal off a higher pressure gas well that wouldn't respond to any other efforts

they drilled an angular hole to get deep and near the shaft, sent down a tactical nuke, detonated it, and it fused the rock closed

i was told their massive gas leak went on for months or years before getting sealed

but in the BP case, it might be unrealistically difficult to drill an angular hole a mile under the ocean

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
i cant believe there is no simple solution to deal with this leak,it must be due to the fact that the leak is 5000 feet? down.

now i thought the other day about various ways to stem the flow, the one i liked the most was this... so it's a long pipe that has a rupture in between the point where it enters the ground and a point past this hole/gash in the pipe further along yes?

what about UN coupling the pipe down past the leak and either put another pipe over the broken pipe and shove it over the leaking part so it acts as a sleeve.

or UN couple up stream again and shove a long bung up the pipe to slide past the gash and stop the flow?

there must be a major problem with the actual rig that sank to the bottom, i mean where is it? that is a massive structure that cant be helping.

or massive tankers with super long pipes down to the depth of the leak and close to pump the water/oil mix and separate?

plausible? i do know they did not act fast enough with more booms and pumps to skim the oil into storage ships.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Somebody tell me if im missing something about the spill. So the situation is we have serveral thousand feet of pipe laying on the floor. But is still connected to the well and only leaking at the discharge of the pipe? A few days ago i was reading USA Today and they had a simple diagram of the well and pipe and i thought that looks like garden hose on the ground why couldnt they use a hydraulic clamp and just crush the pipe shut and crimp it and seal it ? Am i missing something here ??? Even if they still want access to the oil as greedy as BP is go to walmart buy an ice maker kit with the self tapping valve and get an engineer and a machinist and tell em to figure it out.Please let me know cuz ive been busy lately with a newborn baby and i really havent seen many details on it lately..., Thanks

[edit on 23-5-2010 by peacefull observer]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bryon777
i later found out that the nuke idea is actually quite good: the Russians used it to seal off a higher pressure gas well that wouldn't respond to any other efforts

they drilled an angular hole to get deep and near the shaft, sent down a tactical nuke, detonated it, and it fused the rock closed

i was told their massive gas leak went on for months or years before getting sealed

but in the BP case, it might be unrealistically difficult to drill an angular hole a mile under the ocean

Actually the nuclear technique was used 5 times by the Russians.

It only failed once.

Still an 80% success rate ain't too shabby.

Here is the oooops. The Darvaz door to hell. It's still burning decades later.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Run a big pipe from the volcano in Iceland down to the Gulf of mexico and connect them together.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Use cut hair from hairdressers sown into hessian bags.

Human hair is extremely good at collecting oil

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Seems obviously simple too me:
Close down BP, put all the workers onto cleaning the mess up and the bosses in a courtroom.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Use thermite.

It burns underwater and creates liquid iron in the process.

The hole could be sealed in parts. Each part that is in the process of being sealed would have a small metal plate behind it that would direct the oil away so that it doesn't ignite. The iron will adhere to the edges of the hole in the process.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well,just do nothing.

That is pretty much what we are doing now anyway,now isn't it?

There are technologies that have been around for a while.

Eventually one of these "experts" are going to go find some old guy sitting in a old folks home and actually listen to his mumblings.

The nurse will tell them he has been repeating the same thing over and over.

Their eyes will light up and off they will go running.

There are polymers that they can eject into the split in the pipe and even under the pressure of the ocean and the force of pressure of the oil coming out will instantly harden an seal the leak.

The military has the knowledge but they will not share it.

Believe me I know.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join