It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 (video) Preview - a look at the new ATS, coming soon

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I like it looks nice and clean

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
AWESOME!!!!!!

Cant wait for the real time does that work with the recent posts? Matters not anyway. It all looks great!

Many thanks!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Hi,

Just wanted to throw this out there ... I'm not sure if the redesign is strictly a programming endeavor or if it also includes any upgrade in hardware, but I captured this screenshot from SO's video ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4e04972e378d.png[/atsimg]

... and was wondering if it were perhaps possible to resurrect the old thread "view counter."

I realize (if I remember correctly) it was taken down because of the sheer volume of ATS web pages and had become cumbersome, for lack of a better term, and difficult for the servers to deal with.

I just thought I would throw the question/suggestion out there because I always found it a rather useful little element to the site. I guess the reason is that I like to know if a thread I authored isn't getting responses because few people have seen it or if it's because folks read it and weren't moved to contribute, in which case I know that I have to work harder the next time. It was actually quite motivating in its own little way when I first joined ATS.

Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
... and was wondering if it were perhaps possible to resurrect the old thread "view counter."

Tallying each individual hit on a thread (views) was originally disabled because of the amount of traffic we receive, and the resulting performance hit of writing to the database each time a thread is simply viewed.

Some time later, I experimented with returning the view tally soon after we upgraded our database to the monster 16-core solid-state drive super-hero database hardware we're now running. I'm not going to revive the view-tally as it would now be irrelevant and not reflective of any meaningful number. In most cases, new threads were receiving two to three times the views from automated bots and search engine spiders than actual humans... making the tally all but meaningless as a measure of how many "people" are looking at a thread.

On any given day (some days more than others) our overall "non-human" traffic is at least two-times our actual human traffic. For popular threads that get indexed quickly or linked on other sites, it can be up to five-times the human traffic.

The Yahoo "Slurp!" indexing bot alone is on the site constantly with overlapping sessions. We've indexed just over three million distinct pages, and spidering/indexing bots like "Slurp!" very often are coordinated such that by the time it indexes 200,000 pages, it begins a new session from the top, looking for new content -- which it finds. Factor that by some 80 non-human spidering agents identified at the time I considered reinitiating views, and you end up with view counts that are meaningless.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I dont know how close you are to finishing the new site but i highly and i mean HIGHLY reccomend adding a new Books or Literature forum category for the Professional discussion of books and articles on ATS. It can be used for credible discussion on the facts of articles and books that members can reference to their discussion on ATS. also its a good spot for members posting and looking for recommended reading, which we always have countless threads of and I to think it would be wise to have since it could be easily found and added to for updates.

not the one in BTS because that is filed with uncredible citations and usually its not used much for preffesional discussion.

I think this would greatly add to the credibility of ATS and make the members more intelligent as well. please add this category it would be greatly appreciated!

~togetherwestand

[edit on 12-4-2010 by togetherwestand]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

This site has evolved a lot of info so I suppose a new Beta is timely. I like that the basic feel is preserved while new tools are introduced. Don't particularly appreciate the "live" tool, but this is the way of the new world these days so I guess I'll come to like it. Appreciate the ability to get to different forums and threads quickly. All in all a necessary and nice job.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Very nice video. Really looking forward to the improvements and overhaul.

A SUGGESTION: I would really love to see this happen as it would make the discussion that occurs in a thread more "Foward-Moving".

Make the first post that shows up on page 2,3,4,5 and onwards of the thread, the Original Post. Oh goodness would this help move things along. Then I wouldnt have to open up another window or tab in my browser to have the original post be there for me to refer to.

During a thread's infancy the review below a user's reply box is a nice feature, but once the thread gains some posts, the review goes bye bye! Keeping a copy of the OP at the top of every page of the thread would allow the user to actually read through pages 2,3,4,5 and so on before they go and make a reply. Many times a reply is posted that has been addressed numerous times already over the course of the discussion because the reader doesn't bother to read every post of a multi-page thread. Placing a copy of the OP at the top would help avoid that.

Technically I don't know how you would accomplish such. The copy of the OP shouldn't be a new reply to the thread. It should just be there as itself. Maybe it could have a scrollbar kinda like this reply box I'm typing into right now so it doesn't have to take up so much room.

And because I know the Original Poster can later add things to the discussion that no longer are in line with the OP, could there be an option to see just the OP's posts in a thread? Maybe it could be an additional part of the original OP at the top?

I don't know. You technical people can hammer this out. I'm hoping that you see how my idea can be helpful. Thanks for making the above network so great!

Edit to add: I apologize if this idea has already been suggested in this thread but it kinda demonstrates the point.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by danj3ris]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

love the look so far, glad to see you've kept the black background

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Looking sweet and loving the drop downs and multiple viewing options.

Hats off to all involved, there's obviously been a great deal of work put in, keep up the great work guys...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Is it almost time yet?...............

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Regardless of what specific bells and whistles are there, the fact that you are taking the time to improve ATS says a great deal on the positive side about the management. Website design, content, function and ease of use are main factors in the success of any website, and you have taken on three of those factors, and the fourth one, content, should handle itself, as more users are attracted to ATS.
Congratulations!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Oh my.. I just stumbled onto the new ATS.. will I be in trouble for spilling the beans on how to access it?
SEXY

EDIT, then again, maybe I should wait, doesn't look like all the pages are put up yet.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Scarcer]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Well good any way
No one seams to care lol.

So how long we got till it's 'public?'

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

The new ATS is about 90% complete. However, we're now reviewing several new (some costly) options to deploy a very-robust search option... some of which may offer some integration capabilities that may require some recoding of what has already been completed. So until we've finalized the new search tool, we're holding steady at 85%.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

85% = more than good. Additional search parameters = really, really good. Keep up the good work, and know that we appreciate your and others' efforts.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by Scarcer

The new ATS is about 90% complete. However, we're now reviewing several new (some costly) options to deploy a very-robust search option... some of which may offer some integration capabilities that may require some recoding of what has already been completed. So until we've finalized the new search tool, we're holding steady at 85%.

Oh, is that why most of the pages aren't accessible or is that because you only gave that permission to mods or some deal? lol

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
will there be a user's Manual and quick reference guide?

Seriously, Looks awesome.

Video was great to By the way quite enjoyable to watch.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Monday? Didn't some important somebody say something about a Monday?

And April? Something about a Monday in April?

Tomorrow is the last Monday in April.

So. Tomorrow could be the day.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Mr. Sceptic Overlord sir ?

Can you please releave the tension ? Is it coming soon ?
Like any day now ? Like maybe now would be great ! I'm having the day of tomorrow.

Seriously.
Is there any chance you will give a timeline or maybe just... ssst grant me access . I promise, I won't tell anyone. Really I won't.

Hé psst. ATS.
Never could keep a secret.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Oh... my... I went back and looked at the new ats to see the progress.... b e a u t i f u l.

You guys won't be disappointed @_@

It's so easy on the eyes...

edit on 28-4-2010 by Scarcer because: add comment

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join