It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To those who have served ... you're not all heroes

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

since it appears you are doing nothing more that whoring for points, I will help you out. I served, but not to be a hero. Because I believed, and still do. Ask most people active or retired and they will tell you something like that. But while you sit sipping your coffee with other liberal kids with no clue, the country you live in right now might be invaded. The bad man might very well come down your street with tanks and flame throwers. Who will defend you from them? surely not your little sweater wearing friends. they will be trying to find the best hiding place before you get it. The real men will be out there trying to make sure that nobody finds you. making sure you can keep hiding. They don't want any fame, fortune, or glory. they aren't heroes, they are just soldiers. At the end of the day, thats all they will ever be. less than 1% of them will ever be recognized for their efforts. On this day, at least the people who care can be reminded to say thanks. Enjoy your freedom. Real heroes died to ensure you have it.

Great idea for a thread BTW. It's nice to have people show who they really are.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WisdomInChains

Freedom isn't free, it costs folks like you and me and there's a hefty f@ckin' fee.

Whether you agree with the OP or not, its his opinion and he has a right to it.

Lets not start resorting to childish name calling. k?

[edit on 11-11-2009 by kommunist]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

That's because millions of people don't pick up arms and fight each other nowadays over Christmas, Jesus etc. Comparing Christmas and the US military/Veteran's day/US foreign policy is ridiculous. the US military is a direct reflection and extension of US foreign policy. US foreign policy both militarily and economically are gutting our country from the inside out. $600+ billion dollars a year for the US war machine????????????????/

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Typical............everyone against US foreign policy and our militaristic agenda is a liberal? You're a real thinker aren't you?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lurch

What if China decides to invade the United States one day? Let's see how many of you love War then

Nobody loves war. Controllers safely far behind the lines love conquest and power. Here, on the level where people talk to each other and look each other in the eyes, nobody wishes for war.

Sometimes when a young human being isn't finished baking, they make sounds that romanticize the struggles and horror of conflict. I did the same as a youngster; part of it was a product of the film heroes of my time. I grew out of it. Some take longer than others.

Everone that I know that is all grown up doesn't make cozy sounds when the prospect of a future war crops up in conversation.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Why live in a country of spoiled children. I'll spend my time with adults. Time is commodity one should not waste.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
Nope, I don't think you're all heroes.

They are much closer to being heroes than you are.

Actually, you don't even deserve to be in the same room as them.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Amatheus

I respect the soldiers who were drafted and fought in the world wars, including my grandfather who I wish had lived long enough for me to know him.

I guess I just wanted to add a post that wasn't biting the head off the OP, who may have been a bit crass in his posting but also raised a valid point. Not all soldiers are heroes.

Agree, and thank you. You expressed respect, and a certain reverance. You are aware of the timing of this thread, and what resonates to me is that the OP didn't care, or....... worse, intentionally posted this thread at this particular time.

Had he phrased it in an observational and respectful manner as you did, I suspect that the OP would have fostered a more balanced, less heated discussion.

It's sorta like getting an eviction at Christmas [or insert holiday of choice] --- it just isn't done. No, that's not true. It SHOULDN'T be done.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This is fun

The OP should be glad there isn't a draft

If you have not been in the military then you have no business even making a comment about serving. Good or Bad.

War's are stupid, I hope to keep missing the "boat"

I know plenty of douche bags, similar to the OP, in the military

I know even more great people, not like the OP, in the military

I am certainly not a hero

I have never been to war, have no desire either

I just fixed and returned to service an attack helicopter last week. These helicopters will be "down range" in less than 6 months

I do my part everyday

I did thank a veteran today. A friend of mine I use to work with.

No one thanked me today... I am not sure how I feel about that.

The military has been good to me, except for the forced flu shot

I use to know people in the military that now are dead

The OP can kiss my non combat anti war liberal anus

I am an American soldier

ciao

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

They are fighting so we can keep a stable economy, with the side benefits of killing some crazed terrorist.

Current vets might do it for the money, because they love this countries people, they want to shoot some guns, or they know the real reasons behind the war and still want to go over seas.

Whatever reason it is, I am just happy I do not have to do, and if by publicizing a glorified version of our vets to further encourage more people to join so I will never have to, GOOD.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I saw there are a lot of posters with a few million stars in this thread. Mainly only because they're discussing stuff concerning this particular matter.

Just wondering if you could send a few stars this way. Much appreciated.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
All I can say is my that many of us serverd for your right to post this thread. On the other hand:

As a kid we used to throw things like you on porches set ablaze and then ring the door bell!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IntelRetard

Wrong! Another typical cliche! My right of freedom of speech is a god/creator given one, not one the US military or another human being gives me. You really don't know what it means to be an American do you? And that is a right I would fight and die for along with other human beings.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I have never been involved in the military yet I realize that our freedom as well as justice for the common man was hard won via the lives of brave men in Canada, USA, Australia, UK.

The author of Doors of Perception said the same.

Seems that many who want to exorcise free speech need to exercise the their voice of gratitude toward those who have paid the price for our freedom.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is a very contentious topic.

Please be mindful of the Terms And Conditions Of Use when posting.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by kommunist
Coward?

I think he's quite brave for posting something like this knowing that he will most likely get flamed and scoffed at by people like you.

Brave?

No...

This troll hides behind a screen in the virtual world. What does he have to fear? Carpal tunnel syndrome from typing? or getting his thread slammed for spouting garbage. This is simply an example of an internet troll trying to get a rise out of people.

Classic!

I literally LOL. Right on.

Thank you all who have served.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
What a brave man the OP must be. I mean...to come on here, exposing his real name, his real picture, backing up his thoughts about all the bad Americans serving their country over-seas. I am so glad there are people like the OP who are willing to physically stand in a room, face to face with other people, and still have the balls to say something that many may not like to hear. My hat is off to such a brave person. In fact...I would love to invite him to my Veterans Day celebration so he can recount his wonderful and intelligent post to all my friends who have served their country. I'm sure he would be the HIT of the party.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
You all took the words right out of my mouth so no sense in me repeating anything...but damn are you serious? Maybe if you thanked a veteran, and they looked at you and almost cried because they hardly EVER get thanks, (and i did this a couple of days ago and the man bout cried) maybe you would have a change of heart.

Then again some people are just cold hearted..

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Our soldiers in harms way are not fighting for anything we would want, but they are still fighting and dying. They are fighting and dying to preserve our liberty in name anyway, if not in fact. But our liberty is much more endangered by them going over there then if they stayed home.
I know people will be angry with this, but our soldiers are more like cattle then heros. They are led and driven and pushed, by villanous cowards who want what's bad for America.The liberal left wants to destroy the United States of America with its Constitution and enslave us and our soldiers as mindless robots to do their dirty work.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

I saw the thread earlier thanking Vets. I was going to write a looooong response to how I disagree with certain tones and appeals. I saw this thread and I have to say something also:

Today I have seen the massive bombardment of Veteran's Day. I was sitting in a restaurant eating , and all the big screen TVs had coverage of it. Words like "honor", "Freedom", "Hero", "Guardians", etc., filled the screen every minute. I don't feel it.

My Father was a Veteran of the Korean War. He joined at 17 to get away from his life in his small town, and to get away from my mentally abusive Grandfather. He wanted a way out and he found it. Was he a hero for that? Would I pretend that he was serving some noble purpose or "answering the call"? No

The Veterans of World War 2 answered a call, and that is the last generation I can say fought for anyone's "Freedom". Korea, Vietnam, Panama, Nicaragua, Iraq 1 & 2, Afghanistan 1 & 2....they all miss the litmus test for "fighting for freedom".

Most or all "wars" after WW2 were political, for profit, for land, for resources, for Empire, etc. Most soldiers, enlisted or drafted, were fighting for a thing that had NOTHING to do with my freedom or protection. They have, we have, been BS'd into some romantic nostalgic fantasy that we read about as children in school books.

Now that the advent of the internet has shed light on many thing I hadn't revisted since a child, my eyes have been (over the past 9 years) opened to the fact it was all BS. It started with the blatant LIES and Coverups of 9/11. It made me ponder in retrospect the lies of Desert Shield, and later Vietnam. I payed close attention to Desert Storm and the lies of THAT venture. I watched closer and closer through the years.

I watched how the Military Industrial Complex got FAT off of Illegal War and genocide. I've seen the blatant wiping away of Palestinians by our 'allies' with our supplied weaponry. I've seen the carpet bombing of Iraqi children, Pakistani children, Afghans too.

I watched as groups like Blackwater have infiltrated the ranks of our Military, to fight side by side with murderous characters who call themselves "soldiers", both cheering and hollering for death , in a war full of easily forgotten war crimes.

Most of you are NOT heroes, not protecting my freedom. Don't think for a second I'll be fooled the same way your Sergeant drilled that fantasy into your head.

This day is filled with flag waving and nostalgic references to some ideology that has no place in a civilized world. I don't feel like the "troops" are my pals. In fact, whenever I see someone in uniform on the street, walking and strutting with that familiar strut only the military can give, part of me wants to say something just to start some ruckus.

Am I biased? Prejudiced? Yes...I think so. It all happened after I learned the truth of military history. There's no pride, no feelings of being grateful, no "respect", no special place in my heart, actually mostly the opposite. Words like "Army", "Navy", have become 4 letter words to me.

Maybe when we have a military which actually DEFENDS our land, I will show more respect. I don't admire "Iraqi Oil Well Guard #376273" or "Opium Protector First Class". If a real war broke out and we were attacked, you bet I would possibly join the fight, but no such thing has happened in a long time.

I know there will be Vet's and active duty that read this. I have heard possibly all the negative retorts to my sentiments in the last 8 years, you couldn't possibly shake me or shock me, I have almost literally heard it all. I admittedly have a prejudice toward military folks. That has to change from within MYSELF, no amount of negative comment or defensive posting will, so please don't waste my/our time.

Now that I have that off my chest, I feel better. Thanks for listening.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join