It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To those who have served ... you're not all heroes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kommunist

Both the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are ILLEGAL! And you know it.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by kommunist]

Are you really so ignorant as to believe that the soldiers had any choice when it comes to participating? None of them signed up because they wanted to go fight illegal wars. None of them signed up because they wanted to simply lay waste to a country that poses no threat. None of them signed up because they wanted to make life miserable for anyone. None of them signed up because they wanted to make orphans out of innocent children. Grow up.

link   
The only thing this poster was looking for was a reaction. How many times has he defended himself or clarified? But you say that we are the sheep to call him a coward. I tend to look at it this way cowards defend cowards misery loves company. Do I sound like the mainstream media now?

[edit on 11-11-2009 by Subjective Truth]

link   
OP's two cents has been devalued

long live the other 98 sense

link   
reply to post by kommunist

I respect our veterans, I really do
. Good enough, son. That's really all anyone could ask, and more than most get.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Disrespectful?

Just telling it like it is. The truth hurts sometimes.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Disrespectful?

Just telling it like it is. The truth hurts sometimes.

Sorry that comment wasnt really targeted at you, more the OP and rainfalls comments even more.....all Im saying is these guys dont have a choce, they are simply following orders.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Yeah, I know I'm no hero.
I did my stint during peacetime- I was incredibly lucky in that sense.
And it was during my enlistment that I read Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle"
I'll never forget this passage (A speech given during the Island Nation of San Lorenzo's annual remembrance of The Hundred Martyrs to Democracy)

"We are gathered here, friends," he said, "to honor lo Hoon-year Mora-toorz tut Zamoo-cratz-ya, children dead, all dead, all murdered in war. It is customary on days like this to call such lost children men. I am unable to call them men for this simple reason: that in the same war in which lo Hoon-year Mora-toorz tut Zamoo-cratz-ya died, my own son died. My soul insists that I mourn not a man but a child. I do not say that children at war do not die like men, if they have to die. To their everlasting honor and our everlasting shame, they do die like men, thus making possible the manly jubilation of patriotic holidays. But they are murdered children all the same. And I propose to you that if we are to pay our sincere respects to the hundred lost children of San Lorenzo, that we might best spend the day despising what killed them; which is to say, the stupidity and viciousness of all mankind. Perhaps, when we remember wars, we should take off our clothes and paint ourselves blue and go on all fours all day long and grunt like pigs. That would surely be more appropriate than noble oratory and shows of flags and well-oiled guns. I do not mean to be ungrateful for the fine, martial show we are about to see – and a thrilling show it really will be…" He looked each of us in the eye, and then he commented very softly, throwing it away, "And hooray I say for thrilling shows." We had to strain our ears to hear what Minton said next. "But if today is really in honor of a hundred children murdered in war," he said, "is today a day for a thrilling show? The answer is yes, on one condition: that we, the celebrants are working consciously and tirelessly to reduce the stupidity and viciousness of ourselves and all mankind."

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'm a vet, and I am surely no hero.

I followed in the tradition of my family, and chose a military career. I was taught to repair avionics equipment, was given a college education, and also snatched a retirement check for my service. I travelled the world many times over, and picked up a Japanese wife. One of my sons was born in the UK, one in Germany, and one in Japan. I have touched things that many people on this website can only see a picture of. I have even seen things that you can't find on the internet yet. The only drawback is that I have some very serious health issues related to my service, but that was a risk I took when I signed up. I would do it all over again given the chance.

Veterans day for me is just another memorial day. I remember all my friends that didn't get to come home.

So, while you whine from behind your computer, I am on my way to get a free blooming onion and drink from Outback. My free lunch from Applebees was tasty, too.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Another thing, you do realize the military does much more around the world then just fighting, don't you?

Yes..they also traffic illegal drugs around the world to pay for 'black ops' projects...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainfall

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Another thing, you do realize the military does much more around the world then just fighting, don't you?

Yes..they also traffic illegal drugs around the world to pay for 'black ops' projects...

Oh this just keeps getting better doesnt it?

No proof, iognorant and just plain stupid.....hope you feel proud of yourself, you keep lowering the standards bar

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ya there are bad soldiers and bad cops and bad firefighters....etc

But at the end of the day most are good people doing a job that most people dont want to do. It really sucks to be shot at!! But you sit in your moms basement saying how well I heard they traffic drugs so well they all most be dope dealers. Do you also throw the baby out with the bath water?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

I find this thread quite disturbing. When these soldiers went to war, most of the US supported it. We thought it was against terrorists. It is not the soldiers fault that the war was under false pretenses. They do what they are trained to do, wake up and take orders.

My grandfather was a WWII vet. Volunteered, not drafted, two tours. One of the first American troops into Hitlers baraks after he killed himself. They got drunk on hitlers wine.

Is he a hero? Yes. What would he say about your statement? Anyone who voluntarily serves is a hero.

Remember, many who served those wars were drafted and not by choice.

You should thank your fracking stars that we don't have to draft anymore, and that we have volunteers. Or that could be you out there buddy.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

My calling the OP a (insert expletive) is a function of recognizing cowardice when I see it.
Had OP had the conviction of belief, this topic could, and should have waited in the wings for a respectful number of days.
OP could not restrain himself, and therefore neither shall I.
What is most disconcerting is the lack of common decency exhibited by the OP in posting this tripe, many, as shown by the thread, have loved ones, or they themselves, been in some sort of conflict or at least served during peacetime, knowing full well your number could come at any time.
I call coward and I stand by it.\Got so carried away..I did some time with some Aussies and better soldiers you will not find.God Bless

[edit on 11/11/2009 by LAUGHING-CAT]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am the son of two veterans,my father was in world war 2 in the Pacific for 5 years and my mother who served 3 years in Panama just after the Korean War.
And if you have never served in any US military service you have no freaking idea about service.
I spent 12 years in the US navy because I believed in the USA and the Constitution so A-holes like the OP could shoot their mouth off.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Coward?

I think he's quite brave for posting something like this knowing that he will most likely get flamed and scoffed at by people like you.

Both the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are ILLEGAL! And you know it.

Brave?

No...

My son is brave. Good, Bad or Indifferent. He made the choice and had what it took to back it up in the real world, he went to Iraq. That's Bravery!

This troll hides behind a screen in the virtual world. What does he have to fear? Carpal tunnel syndrome from typing? or getting his thread slammed for spouting garbage. This is simply an example of an internet troll trying to get a rise out of people.

P.S. If both wars are illegal then somebody needs to inform the EU and NATO. Think about who has supported and continues to do so and has supplied troops.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

I hope you are getting your kicks out of this thread because it's obvious you wanted to spark some fires. This post will be the only point you'll get from this vet and by point I mean that both ways. Any man or woman who raises their hand and takes the oath...is a hero weather they see combat or not, weather they agree with our government or not, they put their life at risk the very moment that oath is done, in support of freedom.

Where were you during D-day and Normandy? Bosnia, Kuwait,Iraq,ect ect. And have you yourself ever sworn the oath, selflessly?What makes you feel so empowered that you see fit to attack veterans...ON VETERANS DAY!!

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion...and you have made it clear so maybe just enjoy your freedom and comforts...that you most certainly have worked hard for sitting there in your home. But just imagine for a second the next time you look out your window...just how many dead service men and women gave there lives so that you could do so and then go on to be so disrespectful and ungrateful.

And to the one's who stared and flagged this thread... Thanks for showing us just how little you think of the veterans who make your life in freedom possible

[edit on 11-11-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I dont think hardley anybody on this site gave a thought to the British vets of WW1 WW2.

Not a single reply to this thread.

For the Fallen

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

No proof, iognorant and just plain stupid.....hope you feel proud of yourself, you keep lowering the standards bar

Do some research and find out for yourself what I am talking about...or are you too busy chasing rainbows...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainfall

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Do some research and find out for yourself what I am talking about...or are you too busy chasing rainbows...

No Im more concerned with deying ignorance and on this thread.

I dont need to research it, you bought it up without providing proof...its your job, not mine.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I wonder what happened to the OP. All we have is his little sisters saying how he was so right and soldiers are evil. And we are all brainwashed to believe they do a good job by the mainstream media. I think maybe the OPs mom kicked him of the computer or his wrists are to tired to type or maybe after reading the reaction to his post he started to cry.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join