It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Senator Ted Kennedy has died of Brain cancer at age 77

page: 9
23
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Good riddance. Don't let the door hit you in the bum on the way out. Too bad you did not leave several decades sooner. America would be a much safer place.


Could you elaborate on this? I'm hearing this theme a lot today but no one is explaining why they feel that way.




posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Zot Twady
 




Shortly after I heard this news last night, I was on ATS and there were no threads about Ted Kennedy. I thought of making a post, but why?
We don't have to come here to see this kind of news, it's all over the internet.

I was going to open the discussion by asking what effect this might have on current events, health care, et. al.


Well, you're a little late. I already tried that. It didn't work.



Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by FlyersFan
 


Well, FF, I was hoping that it would evolve into a discussion on the power shift in DC, his possible successors, the effect on pending legislation, etc.

But I've been around ATS for awhile. I have witnessed, in shock and disbelief, the animus and hatred spewed in the thread announcements of other public figures, such as Tony Snow. The absolute worst, imo, was the thread on Ronald Reagan's passing. I never realized there was that much hatred here.

So while I hoped it would evolve one way, unfortunately I should have known better.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Not a fan. But I wouldn't wish his manner of passing on anyone...

My heartfelt condolensces to his family. ...and I'll leave it at that.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by HunkaHunka
 


The American people voted in Obama. They voted Bush in for 8 years. What's your point? The German people rallied around Hitler in Nazi Germany before WWII as well. People do a lot of stupid things and are sometimes creatures of very bad habits.


Thats the risk of democracy.

But you are comparing a Presidentital term with that of a State Senator.

You do realize the spectrum between federal, state, and local govs right?

If a local constituency believe that their local representative continues to do a good job, then it is their prerogative. From a Presidential perspective that would be a nightmare. But locally it makes sense.

You see, the only people arguing for term limits are those who don't like who the People have elected. I don't see them running for office to try to get the bums out.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka
 


The immigration bill he sponsored in 1965 started us on a decline we have not recovered from. This bill limited the immigrants from Europe and favored the immigrants from Mexico. We traded one group of immigrants anxious to fit in and make a contribution for another group who wants to commit crimes and live on welfare. This was typical of the political game that Ted Kennedy played.

Ted Kennedy was loved the same way Fidel Castro is loved...........and by many of the same people.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well, at least Mary Jo's family is getting some closure.

Obama is calling him the "greatest senator". What a joke.
And the dems are already using his death to push thru Obamacare: "Do it for Teddy."

What a freakin' laugh.

Karma, Teddy. I'm willing to bet you're licking a hot frying pan in Hell right now.

But prayers are going out to your family. I'm sorry they are going thru this loss.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder
 



We traded one group of immigrants anxious to fit in and make a contribution for another group who wants to commit crimes and live on welfare.


Could you come up with a more stereotyped comment? Implying that none of the immigrants from south of the border want to "fit in", and only want to commit crimes and live on welfare is a falacy of epic proportions and just plain wrong.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by HunkaHunka
 


The immigration bill he sponsored in 1965 started us on a decline we have not recovered from. This bill limited the immigrants from Europe and favored the immigrants from Mexico. We traded one group of immigrants anxious to fit in and make a contribution for another group who wants to commit crimes and live on welfare. This was typical of the political game that Ted Kennedy played.

Ted Kennedy was loved the same way Fidel Castro is loved...........and by many of the same people.


Ok.. now here is an actual data point.

Thank you.

Don't you think that sounds a tad bit racist?

The generalization that all Mexicans want to commit crimes and that all Europeans want to fit in?



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky
 


Just to clarify, i felt deeply saddened by Tony Snow passing as well as Ronald Raegan, who, believe it or not, i voted for and admired.
________________________________
Now to the clown: I am not a young person, but i do have scruples. I'm not going to trash the dead. What i do, is NOT PARTICIPATE on the thread should someone i loathe drop dead.
I would say i am the mature one.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
R.I.P. Ted


With that said I don't like 90% of those who spend their whole lives in politics. I disagreed with Ted on just about ever platform he ever championed, and I think his last 15 years in office he talked just to hear himself speak.

When I looked at him and others on both sides of extremism, I have always seen just how far removed they are from true reality, but they keep getting voted back into office over and over….I guess we are the ignorant masses after all.


[edit on 26-8-2009 by Xtrozero]



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Aside from being a murderous coward, he was a hypocrite. Mr Environmentalist Kennedy personally defeated plans for a wind turbine farm off the coast of Hyannis, where the Kennedy compound is because it would spoil his view/sailing grounds.

However, the most damage he did to this country was through his Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965. Before that, immigration from poor, non western nations was limited to 20,000 per year.

Here's what Kennedy promised when pushing the bill:



"First, our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually. Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration remains substantially the same.... Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset.... Contrary to the charges in some quarters, [the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa and Asia.... In the final analysis, the ethnic pattern of immigration under the proposed measure is not expected to change as sharply as the critics seem to think.... The bill will not flood our cities with immigrants. It will not upset the ethnic mix of our society. It will not relax the standards of admission. It will not cause American workers to lose their jobs." The act's supporters not only claimed the law would not change America's ethnic makeup, but that such a change was not desirable.


All lies. Since the bill became law, this country has been flooded by millions and millions of third world immigrants. The previous standards of admission from the 1925 act, where immigrants had to prove they had skills that could benefit the US, and the literacy requirement of the 1917 act, were thrown out the window and we started importing poor, illiterate, unskilled immigrants. In the relatively short period since Kennedy's law, the ethnic makeup of this country has been changed forever, and our slide into becoming a third world Tower of Babel full of competing cultures is probably unstoppable at this point.

Everyone thank Ted for destroying America's greatness and American culture. Quite a legacy you've left, Teddy.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Although I never really agreed with his politics, I do wish to express my condolences at his passing. Whether you agreed with him or not, he was a tireless, dedicated servant and his passing will leave a great vacuum in the American political structure. There will never be anyone like him again.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull
 


I don't know about "fallacy of epic proportion". I've lived with and was raised by the immigrants of generations past and have lived around the new group in several states. There are similarities but also vast differences and GG's comment while a little harsh, reflects some of those differences accurately imho.

And RIP Ted. He lived a grand life.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Could you elaborate on this? I'm hearing this theme a lot today but no one is explaining why they feel that way.


I think people feel this way because he was one of the "untouchables" as we saw with Chappaquiddick. He also then spent a lifetime in office at a level of extremism only a few others could match. He was by most accounts the measuring tool that was use to measure the level of liberal extremism in others...



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Could you elaborate on this? I'm hearing this theme a lot today but no one is explaining why they feel that way.


I think people feel this way because he was one of the "untouchables" as we saw with Chappaquiddick. He also then spent a lifetime in office at a level of extremism only a few others could match. He was by most accounts the measuring tool that was use to measure the level of liberal extremism in others...



Thanks for the thoughtful response.




posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thank God that old bastard finally died. If only he could have had the courtesy to do so twenty or thirty years ago.

The man NEVER had a real job.

(oops - neither has our President . . .)

One thing about it - maybe now he can keep his pants on.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by dooper]



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Good riddance. Another corrupt politician down the drain.

Sad of course for his family, but I'm not too bothered by it.



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Aside from being a murderous coward, he was a hypocrite. Mr Environmentalist Kennedy personally defeated plans for a wind turbine farm off the coast of Hyannis, where the Kennedy compound is because it would spoil his view/sailing grounds.

However, the most damage he did to this country was through his Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965. Before that, immigration from poor, non western nations was limited to 20,000 per year.

Here's what Kennedy promised when pushing the bill:



"First, our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually. Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration remains substantially the same.... Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset.... Contrary to the charges in some quarters, [the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa and Asia.... In the final analysis, the ethnic pattern of immigration under the proposed measure is not expected to change as sharply as the critics seem to think.... The bill will not flood our cities with immigrants. It will not upset the ethnic mix of our society. It will not relax the standards of admission. It will not cause American workers to lose their jobs." The act's supporters not only claimed the law would not change America's ethnic makeup, but that such a change was not desirable.


All lies. Since the bill became law, this country has been flooded by millions and millions of third world immigrants. The previous standards of admission from the 1925 act, where immigrants had to prove they had skills that could benefit the US, and the literacy requirement of the 1917 act, were thrown out the window and we started importing poor, illiterate, unskilled immigrants. In the relatively short period since Kennedy's law, the ethnic makeup of this country has been changed forever, and our slide into becoming a third world Tower of Babel full of competing cultures is probably unstoppable at this point.

Everyone thank Ted for destroying America's greatness and American culture. Quite a legacy you've left, Teddy.



When were the standards relaxed on literacy? and skills?

Obviously Illegal Immigration is a scourge on our country. But how did the immigration bill of 1965 reduce the standards of legal entry?

[edit on 26-8-2009 by HunkaHunka]



posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by groingrinder
 



We traded one group of immigrants anxious to fit in and make a contribution for another group who wants to commit crimes and live on welfare.


Could you come up with a more stereotyped comment? Implying that none of the immigrants from south of the border want to "fit in", and only want to commit crimes and live on welfare is a falacy of epic proportions and just plain wrong.


Actually, it's just plain right.

Some of my best friends have been Hispanic or Philipino. One thing that I came to detest, MOST of them had either been recent immigrants or had family recently arrived... Guess what? In California (probably also federally funded too) they would get whopping assistance. Many of them laughed and admitted that many played the system. Gov't workers don't care. They get paid to process any claim thrown at them. I didn't rat them out. In hind sight I probably should have, but again, gov't workers don't care.

That's just my experience with immigration changes. That was long ago in a state very far away now. For proof just look at what the last 20 years of "free lunches" and bad management has done to California.

As for Kennedy, if it was his legislation, it wouldn't surprise me.

The most compelling insight that I've heard today is that he was trying to get a law changed in his state that he previously had been a staunch supporter. Now, he wants the law changed back the way that it was... Dude, you are out of favors. If Mass. reverts to it's old law; I say we strip their star off our flag and kick them out.

Then they can be a global magnet (and model) of social health care, alone.




top topics



 
23
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

log in

join