It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask A Schizophrenic Anything

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by eccentric_crazy_guy

I've never tried.

I'd rather not ever try.

Way too creepy.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CleverNameHere

Have you read Graham Hancock's book "Supernatural"? It is about the "otherworld" and the possibility it may be the true reality. It is quite fascinating and may be of help. Mr Hancock does claim that 1 in 50 people may be wired into the "otherworld", just like the shamans of the many tribes out there.

It also takes a lot to say no to Big Pharma and all their wonder drugs. My thoughts and prayers do go out to you to help you figure this all out.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by spaz490

That's a great way to put it.

During sleep paralysis, the demon "spoke" to me using emotions, colors, and various random pictures.

It was very strange.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Sounds like very similar experiences I have had. I really think the only between schizophrenic and "normal" is the the ability to be able to ignore it or not.

Quite honestly what you keep calling 'real' and 'reality' I see as the illusion. I think the non schizophrenics who believe their incredibly shallow lies are the crazy ones.

The price I pay for ignoring the other entities (usually out of fear) is that I get so used to having them blocked out that it is hard to hear them when my curiosity can overcome my fear.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by Anonymous Avatar]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Thank you all for your replies. I apologize for leaving so soon, but this thread is now more than I can take.

I will be talking to my psychiatrist, and I'm unsure of what will happen next.

I'm sorry if I didn't get to some of your questions, but it's very hard to take on so much of this at once.

I will return, hopefully not too far in the future, and continue.

Again, thank you all for your encouraging posts. You really have no idea how much it means to me.

Wish me luck.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Best of luck man, everything will be alright. Keep on right track, you can eventually beat it and be independent

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I have said this in other threads and will say it again.

My uncle is a schizophrenic (nicest person you would ever meet too, I have only seen him on meds), and he ended up trying to rob a hotel.

He was thrown in jail because he failed his duty in taking his medications.

It is nice that you can cope with your disease. To those of you who think schizophrenia is just the coolest thing ever, why don't you try some other ways to make you hallucinate, and then stay on them the rest of your life.

Not much of a difference besides the fact that one is "legal" and the other is not...

While I enjoy my occasional drinking binge, not being able to tell the difference between reality/imagination is not something I would WANT to deal with my entire life.

You don't remain in a "sane" state while going through these delusions, at least not all/most of the time. All it takes is one instance to turn your life around for the worse.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I always wondered...

Are Schizos actually crazy, or just percieving more than what we percieve therefore we label as nutty (like a fish calling another fish nuts because he seen above the water level and started talking about docks, trees, mountains, and all that nonsense stuff)

anyhow, no question, I just wonder about some peoples mental illness and wonder if indeed it is a malfunctioning brain or just a brain that percieves more than typical.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Best of luck. Happy thoughts/good energy/prayers [Delete unwanted] sent your way.

Thanks for sharing with us. It must be terrifying to live in a world so shifting and changing. I admire your courage.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

I said it before and i'll say it again......... Schizophrenia is not a disease..... it's a disorder!!!!

This is'nt something you can catch if you come into contact with a schizophrenic

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

The only time I became aware of the schizophrenia issue, was when I watched the movie,A Beautiful Mind.

How (if at all) accurate was that movie ? That's if you've seen it.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CleverNameHere
reply to post by Electro38

I'm not going into the drugs. Mods don't like it when drugs are discussed.

I'm a male.

I've had romantic relationships, but they don't last long.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know the mods don't like discussions that include talking about drugs.

I just thought it was relevant since you mentioned it awhile back and I do know that some people who have had bad experiences while experimenting with hallucinogenic drugs, even just one time, can have lifelong mental problems.

In my own experience, when I was 15 a started smoking pot. I didn't know the difference between Hash and marijuana. My friend got a hold of some Hash which we believe was "laced". So we rolled 2 huge joints and proceeded to smoke the crap at of them, as if in a hash smoking marathon.

When we emerged from his backyard shed I was having an out of body experience. Then overwhelmed with incredible fear, scared out of my mind.

I thought I was never going to be normal again, panicking. I really bad "trip". But I was able to calm down after a few hours and went home. The next day felt fine, the next couple weeks felt fine. Then about a month later began to feel those feeling again. Overwhelming fear, anxiety, persistent fear that I was going to completely go insane and be locked up.

Everyday I came home from school, go up to my room and I would shake uncontrollably with this strange feeling of fear. Stopped seeing friends, girlfriend. This went on in varying degrees of intensity for about 6 months.

I never told anyone out of fear of being locked up. I was just a kid and really didn't know any better, that I could get help and anti-anxiety drugs.

But to this day, 26 years later I still have occasional problems with anxiety, panic attacks, and social anxiety disorder. But thank the lord, never anything like the severe problems described here.

So I have always been interested in how just experimenting, even once, with drugs as a kid could effect people for their whole lives.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I have found this thread very interesting, i tend to have vivid dreams myself, who knows maybe somethings are real or real Entities make themselves known or are present in different states of consciousness.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Did you know that a schizophrenic's greatest danger is to themselves?

It certainly changes your world view, yet if you learn from it, you can gain great benefits. If you ever find that it becomes unbearable, remember you can fight back, and the voices are dependent on your personality.

Your imagination is your greatest weapon. NEVER stop using your meds if you are taking them. Trust the professionals for this, don't put yourself in undue risk.

You want the voices to shut up? Imagine tossing a grenade at them, or duct tape their 'mouths' shut till they suffocate. Brutal to be certain, but effective to a large degree. A quiet mind is something easily forgotten. Many techniques work.

They have no power, unless you give it to them. Fight back, but always seek help if you feel you are at the end of your rope.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I'll answer this one for clever.....

Some are actually crazy and go over the top to such an extent that they will harm others..... these are the ones you usually hear about in the press but others have learnt to deal with it and handle it well....... although sometimes things can get tough....... lets put it this way, you probably wouldn't know if you were chatting to a schizophrenic if he was your best friend and he was hiding it from you

[edit on 24-8-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You make it sound like you are in this permanantly. Is that what you want?

do you not see a future for yourself. with a clean, pure mind again?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

reply to post by DaMod

Schizophrenia is one of the only mental illnesses where it's possible for the affected to witness themselves go crazy.

No, I haven't had my head checked. I'd rather not let doctors take out a part of my brain. You can never be sure whether there really is a tumor, or if you're on to something big and they want to make sure you can't access that information anymore.

Now I'm starting to sound paranoid. Hah.

They can't just remove a part of your brain to make memories go away. Most thoughts and memories are stored in different parts all over your brain. They could go cell to cell but I don't think they have that kind of time.
(It would take days not hours)

Yeah that is really paranoid. There are many doctors in this world that have the objective to help people. Just keep that in mind.

When they remove a tumor they don't remove part of the brain. Cases in which it roots into your brain are called inoperable tumors and there is nothing they can do.

If there is a tumor there, I'm sure they will show it to you on the MRI.

MRI Pics of tumors in the brain.

Sometimes they are more solid and show up like this

Plus there are some pros to seriously consider.

If you do have a brain tumor and it is the cause and they can take it out, guess what the outcome is!

1. No more voices.

2. No more waking up in little worlds.

3. No more Hallucinations

4. Severe decrease in paranoia

5. You will get your mind back!

6. You won't die after slowing being tortured by your own mind.

Only one CON comes to mind.

1. You can no longer be your own chess partner.

Sounds like its worth having a doc take some pictures doesn't it? Plus you will have the satisfaction of knowing what is wrong.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by djusdjus
Why would anyone with half a brain ask a schizophrenic for advice?

Because people with at least half a brain wouldn't say that.

People with at least half a brain would realise that Schizophrenia is NOT the person - rather it is something the person experiences.

People with at least half a brain would realise that someone who experiences Schizophrenia is not without thought, without life, without ability to THINK and process.

Like ALL Illnesses and Disorders they exist an a continuim.
For the greater majority of people who experience any form of Illness they experience BOTH periods of wellness and 'unwellness'...they tend NOT to be in a constant state of 'unwellness'.

To relegate a HUGE component of our communities, to dismiss them as being without worthy opinion is the height of ignorance.

Why? Well - current Mental Health stats (at least in my own country) suggest that at any time...right now...this very moment 1 in 5 people are experiencing some form of Mental Illness.
1 in 5.
Those stats also suggest that half of us at some point in our lives will also experience some form of Mental Illness.

Mental Illness therefore is not uncommon. It is something that WILL effect every single one of us either directly or indirectly.
It will either be you, or a friend, a loved one, a sibling, a parent, your employee, your employer, your doctor, your dentist.

It's laughable. But oh wait, now I know where a lot of the conspiracy paranoia comes from. lol

No. Whats laughable is that someone can make such a flippant and dismissive discriminatory and sigmatising statement on a website whose 'catch phrase' is DENY IGNORANCE.

I personally know numerous people diagnosed with Schizophrenia.
I work with a number of them.
I know one who is also a Psychologist.
Another who is a Bank Manager
Another who is a reknown Real Estate Agent in the city I live in.

They are people I have much respect for - and certainly would have NO quarms taking advice from.

Just try to get your brain chemistry back to balanced.

...I'd also suggest a bit of education, forming a more informed opinion wouldn't go amiss...

Peace.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Do you have the money, time, and opportunity to go to China? I heard they have some really good herbal and therapy.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Signals

I don't take meds. I refuse them.

I don't care if it's scary as Hell; I won't deny the Truth.

The meds make your mind clowdy. :/

I hate to say it, but I agree.

Psychiatry is a relatively new science with a not-so-good past.

Also, in this corrupt society where people are afraid of lawsuits and other things getting in the way how can we expect to get good, helpful products?

And why oh why must psychiatrists just hand out meds like candy?

It really comes down to the person having to do the work to make their life better....and yes some people actually need meds, but I am not so sure we understand mental illness quite yet.
IMO I don't think we understand the genetic component of mental illness, but there is a clear correlation with childhood trauma (not making an attachment...etc) and mental illness.

And figure this one out for me....how is it that the DSM began out so small and has been on a steady increase ever since.

I feel mental illness can in many cases be caused by the society in which we live (ex. eco-anxiety, and "reality TV syndrome" in which people think their in a reality show when people would argue they are not).

Perhaps these people were prone to illness, but sometimes I see people afraid of things our society screams at us about. Like, having to have a 'perfect' body and all that BS.

Oh, on that note, I hear 'they' are going to add obesity in the new edition of the DSM.
Our Western society is so screwed.
Just read this and you'll know what I am talking about...

news.bbc.co.uk...

To me it seems Schizophrenia is the "grand-daddy" of all mental illnesses. I don't think we have a clear understanding of it.

Other illnesses seem to require a change of the unhelpful behaviors ( via Cognitive-behavioral therapy). It's like you learn how to do it all over again (example learn how to eat again, learn how to touch tings again).

Most illness derives from anxiety/fear it seems. With education you learn that you simply have to deal with the unknown/uncertainty and accept things beyond your power to change.

It's mind games. Mind traps. You talk in circles. And people haven't the slightest idea what to tell you, and some don't have the patience.

It's something one must figure out for them self. Either they help themselves or accept outside assistance.

The topic of mental illness gets me a little riled up. More questions than answers.

I think Psychiatry has the right intentions (might be on the right track), but clearly it's not perfect.

It's really up to the individual. But, there's always the "I can't" statements.

I don't think we know for a fact who really "can't" and who really "can" when it comes to over coming mental illness. Is it genetic or is this person thinking to much?

Though I am sure we can reach a point in which we can all function within society and want to contribute.
Then again...who really wants to take part in this f***ed up world? Why not escape into your own insanity?

Or you find places like ATS that are different and explore different ideas/thought that come out of the box and we can begin to see other things beyond what our society/culture is willing to show us.

And if I were to talk to any therapist about this I bet they'd think I was incredibly sick and insane.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join