It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demonic Video Games

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by buds84
Well seeing as cops are screwing people over everyday I think its a good thing to have videos game simulating killing cops.

Welcome to the club. If one does a run-through of the posts/threads the most vocal supporters of this type of game, one can see that they dont like the police.

So thats one thing Ive learned with this thread...a correlation between thinking murder and rape are fun entertainment and not liking the law and the police.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spacevelvet
I play "violent" video games myself. That is, if you consider Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil and Halo violent. But, geez, this Postal game makes Grand Theft Auto seem tame! I think there are line's that should not be crossed, and this one crosses it...or maybe I'm just getting old.

None of those games compare to what he's talking about but the line is only crossed when someone does it in real life. I am interested getting into the game development industry and I know for a fact that game like this are the ones that sell. So if you don't by they will stop making as many of them.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
There is a line in media that is crossed now with regularity that involves imagery that psychologically traumatizes the viewer. This stuff is vile and psychologically damaging.

Its difficult to get certain pictures out of ones head. Some of them stay for life.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by buds84
Let me add, video games don't cause wars, in fact the people commanding and taking part in wars and genocide don't play video games.

We should be focusing on the real killing going on instead of crying for the poor virtual police officers.

I agree video games don't cause wars. On the other hand plenty of people in the military regularly play video games. Many of the best shooters I have seen in the military are also big FPS (first person shooter) gamers. In addition to that we use various simulations for training that are essentially games.

Yeah those are just gamers, they can play FPSs there just soldiers in training.
the bottom of the pyramid.

If they take away our guns, and then take away our video games how are we going to know how to kill someone when the time comes to defend ourselves. (like if the martial law, police state happens.)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Not my type of game.And it is labeled as a game that is not for children.I never understand why people blame video games on the deterioration of society.Unless you are already mentally unwell i think normal rational adults who play a game like this can distinguish between reality and a game.This 21st century version of book burning belongs in sensationalist tabloid trash where all the other baseless,scare mongering stories reside.

The problem lies not in how rational a person is, the problem is the human brain. There is a line, regardless of how rational someone is, where the human brain cannot distiguish between actual trauma and simulated trauma. Both result in a traumatic event that can lead to syndromes and disorders.

I don't have a problem with violent media, I have a problem with media that induces psychological trauma.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyfloatingIts difficult to get certain pictures out of ones head. Some of them stay for life.

While that may be true, we are not talking about real images. We are talking about pixles and 1's and 0's.

Stopping the creativity of the game designers is akin to book burning. You just don't do it.

And a comon misconception I've read on this thread is the 'simulated murder' angle. Whomever is channeling Jack Thompson, please stop ... He has been disbarred and humiliated for a reason.

If anyone thinks these games have detrimental effects like desensitizing kids to violence, turning kids to violence or anything of the sort, I suggest you watch Penn & Teller's bull#: Season 6 episode 2 (Violent video games are bull#)

Star this post, because I am one of the few talking any sense.

You will change your tune real quick.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
So thats one thing Ive learned with this thread...a correlation between thinking murder and rape are fun entertainment and not liking the law and the police.

I think you are jumping to precipitated conclusions in order to have your own beliefs confirmed. Don't do this to yourself, stay open.

Well yeah, I dislike authority and I don't agree with most of the laws we have.
But I never said that murder and rape are fun entertainment.
I said its fun to live in an alternative reality of which you can do whatever you like without annoying someone or being annoyed by someone.

There are NO correlations at all with being against the police and the law and thinking that murder and rape are fun. How many police officers enjoy murders? They sure like shooting guns. Aren't the lawmakers the same people that create wars?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Not my type of game.And it is labeled as a game that is not for children.I never understand why people blame video games on the deterioration of society.Unless you are already mentally unwell i think normal rational adults who play a game like this can distinguish between reality and a game.This 21st century version of book burning belongs in sensationalist tabloid trash where all the other baseless,scare mongering stories reside.

The problem lies not in how rational a person is, the problem is the human brain. There is a line, regardless of how rational someone is, where the human brain cannot distiguish between actual trauma and simulated trauma. Both result in a traumatic event that can lead to syndromes and disorders.

I don't have a problem with violent media, I have a problem with media that induces psychological trauma.

This is totally unsubstantiated speculation, combined with the age-old technique called "Making stuff up"

When Penn and \teller put a real gun into the 12 year old video game player's hand, the kid burst into tears and was scared to death.

\that is the human brain doing the exact opposite of what you just made up. The brain making a very real contrast between a real traumatic event (firing a real gun) and a non-existent fantasy stimulus (firing a gun and killing a cop in Grand Theft Auto.

Don't let these guys brainwash you into parroting their agenda, I thought this board was better than that

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Is it any worse then the stuff you see on the tv? We are bombarded with crap like that every single day. In the end, WE decide what we watch. I never played the game, and i will certainly not enjoy such game. If somebody else wants to corrupt his mind, go ahead. Also, i'm ashamed to admit, i laughed on the "fag hunter" thing
Anyway, it's freedom of speech, expression etc. Something we have to deal with in a democracy.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu

I said its fun to live in an alternative reality of which you can do whatever you like without annoying someone or being annoyed by someone.

Such as the activities described in the OP? Is that fun?

There are NO correlations at all with being against the police

Look at djzombies anti-police thread. Look at your anti-law statements. Look at the previous posters anti-police statements right on this page.

Or look at this sentence of yours:

Aren't the lawmakers the same people that create wars?

I bring it up because that specific game (postal 2) seems to be preoccupied with not liking the police.

"Lawmakers are the bad guys"....

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I dont think outlawing them would work, btw. Outlawing them would popularize them, especially in the age of filesharing.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Enrikez

You know you are arguing that images have no effect on the mind, right?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Such as the activities described in the OP? Is that fun?

Well, seems pretty fun, at least in the videogame. If it wasn't fun they wouldn't have created such thing because no one would have bought it.
Personally I don't think its fun, I already said that whats fun is the freedom or opportunity to do something like that. But I'm pretty sure that someone thinks those things are fun. And maybe the person that thinks thats fun always wanted to be a cop!

Look at djzombies anti-police thread. Look at your anti-law statements. Look at the previous posters anti-police statements right on this page.

Or look at this sentence of yours:

Aren't the lawmakers the same people that create wars?

I bring it up because that specific game (postal 2) seems to be preoccupied with not liking the police.

"Lawmakers are the bad guys"....

Have any of us stated that its cool and fun to murder rape or do anything else like that? No. We are all saying that what is fun is the freedom to do so if we happened to enjoy doing such things.

I didn't get the last part of your post.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyfloatingSuch as the activities described in the OP? Is that fun?

You are over stepping your bounds here.

Your opinion of what's fun has absolutely nothing to do with anyone elseText

If you can't see the humour in sticking a rifle barrel up a chickens anus to use it as a silencer, or the funny in peeing on people then you take life too seriously.

It's silly over-the top hyper-violence. The game has it's tongue planted firmly in cheek, and you want to label it with a 'demonic' tag.

LMAO. You just don't get it.

That's no problem, you just don't get it. The problem is when someone who doesn't get it tries to tell people who do get it that they aren't allowed to enjoy it anymore.

Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Elvis, The Beatles, Eddie Murphy, Rap music, the UFC books, games, music, movies whatever it is.

Some people just don't get it. No worries, just mosey along then pardner. Do what you like to do and let others do the same.

No one cares if you don't get it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Enrikez

You know you are arguing that images have no effect on the mind, right?

Don't put words into my mouth.

The post was to postulate the argument that 'images' is a sliding definition.

When someone sees a picture of a real person being raped, or of a blown up soldier their brain knows that is real.

When a person sees the same in a computer game, their brain can tell the difference.

Computer graphics are similar to paintings. Have you seen all of the violence depicted in the Louvre? I guess those are Demonic too, eh?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez
If you can't see the humour in sticking a rifle barrel up a chickens anus to use it as a silencer, or the funny in peeing on people then you take life too seriously.

Oh joy.

I think I grew out of that kind of stuff when I was 15.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The whole point of games is to mimic reality. When it comes to violence in games where do you draw the moral line? In about 50 years I imagine computer graphics will be indistinguishable from real life. Technology will probably exist that allows you to interact with the game environment, almost like emotionally being there. It might end up being so realistic that you actually think you are literally the character within the game.

Will you still have no problem raping, mutilating and killing computer characters that are indistinguishable from real humans and how can you honestly say that doing so will not affect you on some level.
As technology evolves and becomes more sophisticated, it's truly disturbing where we might be headed and the levels of depravity some people will go to just to entertain & amuse themselves. One thing is certain, when the game becomes indistinguishable from real life, you'll no longer be able to use the excuse and say "it's just a game".

[edit on 20-8-2009 by kindred]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez

Oh joy.

I think I grew out of that kind of stuff when I was 15.

Good for you.

Was there a point in there somewhere?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
The whole point of games is to mimic reality. When it comes to violence in games where do you draw the moral line? In about 50 years I imagine computer graphics will be indistinguishable from real life. Technology will probably exist that allows you to interact with the game environment, almost like emotionally being there. It might end up being so realistic that you actually think you are literally the character within the game.

Will you still have no problem raping, mutilating and killing computer characters that are indistinguishable from real humans and how can you honestly say that doing so will not affect you on some level.
As technology evolves and becomes more sophisticated, it's truly disturbing where we might be headed and the levels of depravity some people will go to just to entertain & amuse themselves. One thing is certain, when the game becomes indistinguishable from real life, you'll no longer be able to use the excuse and say "it's just a game".

[edit on 20-8-2009 by kindred]

There is a theory that explains why this is impossible, but the name escapes me right now. I treid googling, but couldn't chance on the correct keywords.

Regardless, if what I bolded ever came true and a game becomes indistinguishable from real life it is no longer a game. Therefore your point is moot.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Lol, Postal 2 come out a long time ago,
and it still is 1 of the most ridiculous games iv ever played.

To me, its still only a game, Iv grown up with games like GTA,
and everything a "boy" would ever wana do you can do with games.
Come on, anyone that has ever seen the film Heat would admit,
they would love to rob a bank and make an epic getaway (I know i did
)
An all without all the consequences!

I still think games are an artform like any other media too,
If Bruno can get away with what it contained,
Postal 2 is nothing compared to how disgusted that film made me feel.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by wazthewazzock]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join