It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demonic Video Games

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Sounds like good fun. I would play it in a heartbeat.

If you don't enjoy this kind of carnage and mayhem, well.....there is always Qbert

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu

If things are good and other things are bad we should try to preserve the good things and eliminate the bad things. Doesn't that seem kind of tyrannical?

"Violence is bad. So we ought to punish and regulate the behavior of people so that they won't be violent." Isn't punishing and regulation a special kind of violence?

Do you see my point?

One more question on this: What do you think about the concept of "law"?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
People are always pushing borders.

I'm sure when Doom came out people went into an uproar about how violent and realistic it was.

Same thing with Wolfenstein.

And then Halflife.

Etc etc etc.

Fastforward to today and you have games like Company of Heroes that show groups of soldiers being ripped into realistic pieces by artillery fire, and it is possible to zoom in and see the shock on their faces and hear the screams coming from their mouths.

Is it all bad?

Personally, I find games like Postal and Manhunt completely uninteresting, but that company didn't make them someone else would have. Humans are inherently violent creatures. In the constraints of modern society we fight any animal urges, but for those who want to crack skulls isn't it better they do it with a keyboard and not a hammer?

GAMES DO NOT MAKE PEOPLE VIOLENT

Small minded people, simple people, mentally handicapped people, who absorb these things are violent. The games don't make them that way, their disabilities simply allow for it.
\
Don't blame the program, blame the player.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
how about squashing people with that warhammer

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
WTF?!?!? This is worse than Grand Theft Auto!!!!
Wow now that's bad escpecially the one with the cat and the one with the dog... Poor animals.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
To the OP and any person that thinks "times have changed" watch this slideshow from Forbes.com

Times have definitely NOT changed. It's just the visual aspect. Graphics have grown in complexity. The tendency to be extremely violent in a virtual world has always been there. It's an outlet, no more and no less. I will not deny that some have taken the scenes they see and acted them out. Yes those people are mentally disturbed. 98% of gamers, like me, enjoy violence and carnage. The only difference between us and the 2% that go nuts is knowing right from wrong.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mimroro
WTF?!?!? This is worse than Grand Theft Auto!!!!
Wow now that's bad escpecially the one with the cat and the one with the dog... Poor animals.

Yeah, I think that bugs me more than anything else. But, why do the dogs get to play fetch but the cats have to die? Is there something more funny about killing cats than dogs? I fail to see it.

Anyway, I'm sure the cats might've liked playing with some small intestines like string.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I played postal2 for 2days or so just for fun and I'm not bad or effected. I mean GTA was out when i was a little kid thats about the same you can't pie on people but its the same.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Im I being overly sensitive to be unamused by the content of this "game"?

Whats more, it appears that the game is not banned due to "Freedom of Speech" laws. Browsing the internet you see mostly raving fans of the game.

What do people think about this stuff being programmed into our minds?

While I would probably enjoy this game, I wouldnt really take is seriously. Ive played games just as violent as this before and they have never made me want to hurt anyone.

However, the real worry about this is that the game will be quite easy for younger gamers to access. Thats where the major problem with games like this one.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

One more question on this: What do you think about the concept of "law"?

My heart is anarchist.
Does that answer your question?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
My heart is anarchist.
Does that answer your question?

Yes it does. And it confirms what I figured. And it explains our little disagreement here.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thats funny, because although I would probably enjoy the game, I totally respect the law

Im all for cops shooting bad guys....well not literally, but you get my jist

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Thats funny, because although I would probably enjoy the game, I totally respect the law

Im all for cops shooting bad guys....well not literally, but you get my jist

He was talking about discernment between good and bad being tyranny, so I figured he was an anarchist.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I think there comes a point when people need to step back and recognize something as toxic, poisonous, and hazardous.

There is a line in media that is crossed now with regularity that involves imagery that psychologically traumatizes the viewer. This stuff is vile and psychologically damaging.

I'm all for the freedom of information and speech, but when something can result in traumatic stress disorders it should be banned and burned. In conflicts such garbage would be considered psychological terror used to demoralize the enemy. Perpetrators of such poison should be held accountable as perpetrators of psychological terror.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Well seeing as cops are screwing people over everyday I think its a good thing to have videos game simulating killing cops.

the law makers are the law breakers...they always have been, cops do nothing but enforce what Illuminati whats them to do.

They are not here to "Protect and Serve" you.
thats for someone else.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

But I know that anarchism is way too advanced for the current human condition. That's why I said my heart is anarchist. My mind can't be an anarchist because for my mind anarchism is pure utopia. The mind is so silly, but still so powerful.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Let me add, video games don't cause wars, in fact the people commanding and taking part in wars and genocide don't play video games.

We should be focusing on the real killing going on instead of crying for the poor virtual police officers.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Not my type of game.And it is labeled as a game that is not for children.I never understand why people blame video games on the deterioration of society.Unless you are already mentally unwell i think normal rational adults who play a game like this can distinguish between reality and a game.This 21st century version of book burning belongs in sensationalist tabloid trash where all the other baseless,scare mongering stories reside.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by buds84
Let me add, video games don't cause wars, in fact the people commanding and taking part in wars and genocide don't play video games.

We should be focusing on the real killing going on instead of crying for the poor virtual police officers.

I agree video games don't cause wars. On the other hand plenty of people in the military regularly play video games. Many of the best shooters I have seen in the military are also big FPS (first person shooter) gamers. In addition to that we use various simulations for training that are essentially games.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I understand peoples and especially children need to have some action and also to vent, but when I recently came across the described features for the following video-game I was shocked at how times have changed. Back when I was young I played cute little games such as Nintendos Super Mario or Sega, and even earlier cute little Pac-Man by Atari.

I do miss the good ole days of the Atari 2600 and games like dodge em, pac man, pit fall, frogger, etc... and they were just as fun as the games now.

Im I being overly sensitive to be unamused by the content of this "game"?

Obviously any reasonable person would think this game goes beyond the boundaries of good taste and I for one would never buy it and if I had children, they would never be allowed to buy it.

Whats more, it appears that the game is not banned due to "Freedom of Speech" laws.

When you live in a country with these freedoms, you must take the good with the bad to keep those freedoms.

What do people think about this stuff being programmed into our minds?

The reality is that nothing is being programmed into anyone's minds. These games are voluntarily purchased. If we as a society find that this game is not acceptable, all we need to do is not buy it and this type of game will no longer be profitable and will go away.
Remember this game only exists because people want it. This is a failure of parents to teach their children better values and really has nothing to do with the video game industry.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join