It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demonic Video Games

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
Awareness that there is something happening of which we don't appreciate?
Awareness of sufferance and misery?

Most people try hard not to be aware of these things.

Im not so sure playing depraved sicko-trash is going to do much for my awareness of the worlds suffering.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
reply to post by Goathief

I´ll reply to the other part of your post: No, I am not saying these games are "created by the Illuminati".

What I am saying is that they are disgusting and the majority of people being "OK" with them, is very telling.

Is very telling of what exactly? Violence in society is at an all-time low despite what fearmongering tabloids would have you believe, military operations are smaller, people are communicating more, we are living longer - in short, everything is getting along quite nicely (but still far from idyllic)... if you are going to use this as an example of how humans are vile, evil and disturbed creatures, history will provide much better examples way before computer games were invented.

Ever hear of the feast of fools? Citizens would pelt clergy members and politicians with faeces and the like as they were paraded around towns and villages in a yearly role reversal. Gladiators and slavery are two obvious examples of humans using other humans as a form of barbaric entertainment, yes - people were actually hurt back then.

Again I ask you, what harm are these games doing? I could turn on the news and see how vile humans can be - and those shows are more or less force-fed to citizens, unlike games. If your argument purely consisted of concerns that children will play them, I understand but ultimately like everything else when a child is involved this falls down to parenting.

I do not think you like to perceive yourself as pro-establishment from your previous postings, yet your actions are proving yourself to be just that. Something you find distasteful yet harmless? Cry out and get big brother to put a stop to it - like a child seeking independence you want freedom yet are addicted to suckling the nanny state's breast.

*EDIT: broken quote tag*

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Goathief]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
Dude, you're just getting old.

Nah, Ive always been concerned about brainwashing, media-programming, media-influence and mind-control.

I agree to a point but think about it - if Clive Barker (Hellraiser) or Stephen King (Name a book or film) (Both Horror and Gore novelists and film directors)didn't have their outlets do you think there may have been one or two more Jeffery Domers' in the world????

link   

Same topic as far as I could tell.

I dont think the advertisement of a certain type of violence, such as violence on a snuff-film level (which is what that video is) is healthy. Saying so would not make me PC, but simply sane.

link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

You misunderstood me.

I meant that people acting violently would make other people aware if people indeed became violent by playing the videogame.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

That is exactly what someone of "political correctness" would say.
"I'm just sane"

That is mind controlling, or you think talking about sanity and insanity is not going to affect the mind of the listeners?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Alright, lets keep it short and simple: Would there be any limit for you in what is depicted and practiced in video-games? Or are you "anything goes"?

And Im not as pro-fearmongering as you depict me. I agree the world is a better place than it used to be. But not because of games such as shown.

And on another note: I am NOT "anti-violent-games". But I think this particular one MIGHT be going to far.

If you do not for one moment consider that it just might be going too far, you are somewhat one-sided.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

That is exactly what someone of "political correctness" would say.
"I'm just sane"

That is mind controlling, or you think talking about sanity and insanity is not going to affect the mind of the listeners?

So defending this:

Urinating on dismembered bodies

The option of attacking and/or killing police officers

A game prop called Fag Hunter (depicted as bald, unshaven men wearing pink dresses).

Decapitating people with shovels or similar weapons (katana, machete etc.) and kicking the heads about.

Setting people on fire with a variety of methods, from gasoline and matches, to molotov cocktails and napalm launchers or even the kicking about of burning heads.

Playing "fetch" with dogs using the severed heads of slain police officers

The ability to urinate on bystanders to make them vomit in disgust. As cops will eat food items dropped by the player, urinating on a food item that is subsequently eaten by a cop will make the cop regurgitate.

The use of cats as silencers for shotguns and machine guns by pushing the barrel of the gun into its rectum.

Crack coc aine "health" pipes that can be smoked in order to boost Dude's health

...is sane?

There are different gradients of political correctness, just as there are different gradients of video games. Its not "all the same thing".

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I find very ironic that the OP has also created this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That is almost too ironic for words.

Sky, your admission of being over-sensitive probably plays a large factor in this whole Postal argument. Removing your blinkers would help you see.

link   

If you do not for one moment consider that it just might be going too far, you are somewhat one-sided.

How far is too far?
I think thats the only question no one is really able to answer.

Because if someone really went too far I doubt that they would be able to come back and talk about it. If someone is talking about it it simply isn't too far, there is always something further, beyond our present concepts.

Thats my opinion at least.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Geladinhu]

link   
Its sane in the fact that its a healthy way of "release" without having to act ones fantasy out in reality.
Theres always one or two individuals who of course play Killzone/HALO or whatever and the Media will blame the game for the school shooting. But did you know the US Army uses Doom 2 as a means of Combat simulation.

I think what you need to do is go watch a movie called Equilibrium, then it'll all make sense.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Awareness that there is something happening of which we don't appreciate?
Awareness of sufferance and misery?

Most people try hard not to be aware of these things.

Im not so sure playing depraved sicko-trash is going to do much for my awareness of the worlds suffering.

Should there be a video game where you go on missions to feed the starving children in Africa? Somehow I just don't think that would sell.

I just can't understand why there's nothing with similar depictions of banksters, politicians, corporate execs and lobbyists. That might sell pretty well and help stimulate the economy.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
ive been playing games since 1985 and personally if i had to save a princess one more time id prob. urinate on someone too ive never wanted to kill anything in my life and ive played some grusom games.
personally i dont think its any different then the board games risk or operation
same crap different setting. how many " gamers" do you think there would be if it was still mario brothers 15 instead of wow or call of duty?
most likely 0

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Alright, lets keep it short and simple: Would there be any limit for you in what is depicted and practiced in video-games? Or are you "anything goes"?

The idea of freedom of speech is just that, "anything goes."

I may not like what you have to say, but I'll be damned if it's not your right to say it. It's a shame that you seem to be oblivious to the same perspective.

Also, just because you have the ability to do the things you mentioned in the OP, doesn't mean you're forced to.

The game plays very open ended and you can accomplish different goals many different ways.

Though having never played it, I would expect you to make overbearing judgements based on a video that shows you the worst of what you can do.

That behavior is not forced or encouraged throughout the game. It's just an option. An option that some of us find humorous.

I poured gasoline on someone and then peed on them to put them out, did I do that, you're damn right I did. Is that the entirety of the game? Did I spend 40 hours lighting people on fire and then peeing on them? Well maybe, but no.

It was definitely funny the first time I did it. Something tells me this would appeal to R. Kelley. And how dare you deny him of virtually peeing on people, if this game existed prior to his indiscretions maybe he wouldn't have peed on kids to get his rocks off.

Also, if you think this is bad, you should really check out any of the fear games. They'll have you #ting out the twist in your panties.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by djzombie]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Of course its sane.
Thats exactly what I'm doing now.
And I'm more then sane.
So sane that the ones that aren't as sane as me think I'm insane.

And yes, I believe its all the same.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hell, the moment I read "Urinating on dismembered bodies", I stopped reading and went to see where I could buy it!!!

Relax people, take a valium and worry about all the true evil that happens in the REAL world. On a side note... reminds me of carmageddon!!! ah, how I loved that game and it was also in truly bad taste.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I've played postal 2. It's pretty fun. Not for kids though. It's not that good of a game, its more like a time waster. A game where you get on and say "I wonder what things I can do today" Its a horribly racist game as well.

But its not demonic, just kind of a stupid overly violent game.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The Debate has always been on whether depictions of violence result in venting/releasing or in densitizing/promoting.

Any thread like this will have the same two sides arguing their point. Believe it or not, Ive always leaned to the "venting/releasing" side of the argument - but only if its done within a limited time-frame.. As a habit, staring at violence all the time will desensitize one to it.

Parents do the same. They sit at CNN and watch people being blown up while sipping on their soda as if it were entertainment....no reaction in their eyes. Dehumanized.

Thats something to question, to discuss and not to brush off with "its just an effing game". Even if Im wrong, its still something worth discussing.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
Should there be a video game where you go on missions to feed the starving children in Africa? Somehow I just don't think that would sell.

Too bad it wouldnt. Too bad that pointless violence is just so much more appealing.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

You might be right that its not the game that makes people so, but certain people who are attracted to it in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join