It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart, CVS, Best Buy Ditch Glenn Beck (Plus Five More Companies)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
there is not a single "media" news story about anyone actually dropping beck. think that strange?

Hmmmmm.

This was one of the first:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Then these:

colorofchange.org...

www.dailykos.com...

topics.treehugger.com...

Company Defends Decision to Pull Ads Beck TV Show: 'We Do Not Want to be Associated with Hateful Speech'

Google much? Here ya go.................

www.google.com...

And you were saying?

[edit on 19-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Is Beck close to the truth?

Dunno.

Why are the advertisers bailing on him?

He said Obama hates white people.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix
I'm not into debate much at all. I'm just offensive (and amusing). I address many ideas as compactly as I can... running the subjects together. Close friends and I can talk five subjects at a time never missing a beat.

BTW: I hate typing and I don't have dictation software.

I'm not sure what I find more hilarious, that you find yourself amusing or that you purport to have friends.

And since you don't like typing, perhaps an internet "discussion" forum is not the most appropriate venue to display your succinctness.

Nothing personal, mind you.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Is Beck close to the truth? Dunno.

Why are the advertisers bailing on him?

He said Obama hates white people.

Odd since they represent 75% of US population.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49b3dac48a7a.jpg[/atsimg]

Company Defends Decision to Pull Ads Beck TV Show: 'We Do Not Want to be Associated with Hateful Speech'

Source

Sorry, I'm repeating myself.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Odd since they represent 75% of US population.

Hey buddy don't shoot the messenger. Beck said it, not me. He said "Obama hates white people" then he said "I mean, he doesn't hate white people" however concluded "Obama is racist"

That's about when advertisers started bailing on him.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MissysWorld

You hit it right on!!!!!! They are getting pressure from somebody above them who is probably threatening them with some bull. And who cares if they pull their commercials, there are plenty of other people that would gladly take the slot. Do they really think they will silence him? Go GLENN, we need a voice of truth in this libral dominated media!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
If FNC were really worried about this, I think they'd be cancelling his appearance on their other shows in order to limit and contain the damage. They haven't done that. In fact, he appeared in a taped interview for his weekly segment on O'Reilly's show last night.

If they're still allowing him to go on their highest rated show, in fact, the highest rated show in cable news, he's almost certainly not in any imminent danger of losing his job.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I’ve witnessed rampant ignorance within this thread from posters who incorrectly assume that ratings alone draw advertisers. I humbly present the following in the spirit of this forum to DENY IGNORANCE.

RATINGS:
Many advertisers and viewers think of ratings simply as a measure of a particular show’s popularity. That’s only the surface of a critical element in advertising.

FREQUENCY:
Repetition is one of the foundations of advertising. In TV ad speak, frequency denotes the average number of times a household or person saw the spot in a specific period of time.

REACH:
This measure indicates the unduplicated number of households or individuals who were exposed to a spot during the schedule, usually expressed as a percentage.

tv-advertising.suite101.com...

Add to the mix demographics ( including age, gender, education and most importantly income) and you will begin to realize that ratings alone do not determine where advertising dollars are spent. Plus any negative associations will far outweigh the perceived benefits or effectiveness.

Besides there is a paradigm shift occurring within conventional media towards the internet and less focus on Radio and TV.

Regards. . . KK

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Hey buddy don't shoot the messenger. Beck said it, not me. He said "Obama hates white people" then he said "I mean, he doesn't hate white people" however concluded "Obama is racist"

That's about when advertisers started bailing on him.

I do not take issue with your post..........buddy.

I merely used it as a platform to present FACTS.

No harm, no foul unless you want some.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Tell that to Michael Vick. He is having the last laugh when he should be stocking shelves during the night at Wal Mart.

Before condemning him make the sale of Fur illegal
anything else is hypocrisy!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Besides there is a paradigm shift occurring within conventional media towards the internet and less focus on Radio and TV

I'm not going to argue with any of the rest, except this statement as it applies to Fox News. Newscorp's cable news division has been increasing its ratings share, but more importantly, its operating profit. For the year ending June 30th, their profits for Fox News Channel were up 50% over the previous year and ratings up 45%.

While others are struggling in the internet age, News Corp's FNC division is thriving.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
Newscorp's cable news division has been increasing its ratings share, but more importantly, its operating profit. For the year ending June 30th, their profits for Fox News Channel were up 50% over the previous year and ratings up 45%. While others are struggling in the internet age, News Corp's FNC division is thriving.

Nice except who owns FOX NEWS? As you pointed out News Corp.

News Corp operating profit falls 32% in 2009

www.businessspectator.com.au...

Related:

News Corp to charge for all news websites

www.businessspectator.com.au...

Even if I'm not good, I'm quick. Data please?

Hey I've always felt, if you don't have a knock-out punch, dazzle 'em with your footwork.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Yes, but lets not forget that Newscorp has more divisions than just Fox News. Again, that particular segment of their business was up 50% for the year.

Straight off the Newscorp Website

The reason for the loss was largely due to falling profits in their broadcast television division, which is separate from their cable network division and which includes FNC.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Well it would seem to me that if the parent company is struggling, unless it can spin off a successful affiliate, the pawns would fall with the King.

Your argument is well made nonetheless. Refreshing.

My larger point was concerning the misconceptions of ratings alone.

As for Beck, I suppose time will tell.

Regards.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by Majestic23

Originally posted by Majestic23
In other words you cant answer the question? You didnt really think about what you were writing and you came out with a programmed response just like the other guy who had some trouble fathoming out a basic concept like "the company that rakes in the most sales chooses to decide what it wants its customers to be able to buy from them effects freedom of expression" so you came out with that pithy nonesense.

Something you are not used to came up and you are unable to see how it applies to this situation.

I repeat: What does WalMart banning R-rated video games have to do with freedom of expression?

You are the one that made that statement; now please tell me how your freedom of expression has been harmed by WalMart?

As far as being able to answer your question, I think that if I try really really hard I *might* be able to answer it. It will be difficult for me; I'm not used to debating. I'm a very shy and quiet person by nature. And you..you seem so confident that it kinda scares me. Plus you ask such killer questions. But I promise to give it my best shot.

OK?

You honestly cant think why that effects freedom of expression? If the company that sells the most games bans games that are R rated then the likelyhood of games that are R rated being produced becomes smaller.

Whats so hard to understand?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I'm not used to debating. I'm a very shy and quiet person by nature.

Paradoxically, Mt. Everest is the size of an ant hill.

Hi jsobecky !

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I thought the "?" at the end of the sentence was directed at me, like I said it lol.

I guess it wouldn't be to hard to hate 75% of the population .. course, without them white folk he wouldn't get to be President, making 400k a year, nice little pay raise.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

That's the video of Glenn making an ass of himself.

He shoulda stuck to economics... poor Glenn..

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

He shoulda stuck to economics... poor Glenn..

The only class he ever took was theology, and even then he dropped out. So no luck with economics, either

I think it's more than coincidence that the right wing finds its ideologues in two theology/seminary dropouts, Hannity and Beck. Dark Age is upon us.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

As far as being able to answer your question, I think that if I try really really hard I *might* be able to answer it. It will be difficult for me; I'm not used to debating. I'm a very shy and quiet person by nature. And you..you seem so confident that it kinda scares me. Plus you ask such killer questions. But I promise to give it my best shot.

OK?

Must be why you are so quick to be smug and sarcastic then. It would have been easier just to answer the question posed without the attitude but then how would that massage your ego?

Thanks for the condescending "OK" and smiley face, you must have a lot of experience being a forum smartmouth.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Fair enough. Even Steven.

Regards Kinda Kurious

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join