It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspect puts drugs in his mouth; cop breaks his neck

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

It has allot to do with legalizing drugs..It doesnt just effect the person taking them,as it seems your to ignorant to see..

legalizing them will just mass produce feinds and condone this type of abuse..

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
IMO it wasn't the cops fault. He followed procedure and that is pretty obvious.

The question is, is the state at fault for the procedure?

The reason I ask is there is another way to avoid the whole thing with a safer move.

The move we use at the facility I work at is bend the head so their chin is touching their chest. No need for a choke hold as when this move is applied you can not swallow but at the same time does keep the airway open. No need to even jam the chin into the chest if it is touching the chest even very lightly you can not swallow anything other than a little bit of your own spit and sometimes they don't even do that and just drool instead.

It's a very uncomfortable position and eventually they will spit it out after the pain is to great. And if they don't long wooden spoon in the moth and sweep the item out.

In essence the procedure needs to be changed. Although the current way only requires one person to do the choke hold you would need at least 2 people for the chin to neck if they are fighting it. Oh and we have been more than happy in the past to pump a stomach if they got it down before we could get to them. Usually after 2 stomach pumps they stop swallowing things they shouldn't.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
reply to post by Discotech

It has allot to do with legalizing drugs..It doesnt just effect the person taking them,as it seems your to ignorant to see..

legalizing them will just mass produce feinds and condone this type of abuse..

Yet the legalization of alcohol after prohibition evidence suggests the complete opposite.

When alcohol was prohibited, there were more "fiends" selling illegal alcohol than after it became legal and those "fiends" moved onto something else as the black market demand for alcohol became none existant.

I am not ignorant to the effect on others of drug abuse however it's already proven that making drugs illegal has no effect whatsoever on people choosing to take them apart from taking up much needed prison space/police time/your tax money by harmless recreational users, or are you ignorant to the extortionate waste of money/resources being pooled into the so called "war on drugs"

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

In essence the procedure needs to be changed. Although the current way only requires one person to do the choke hold you would need at least 2 people for the chin to neck if they are fighting it. Oh and we have been more than happy in the past to pump a stomach if they got it down before we could get to them. Usually after 2 stomach pumps they stop swallowing things they shouldn't.

wouldn't cuffing also help to do this? Less drama if the person's hands aren't flying and flipping all over the place., no? I'd fear getting bitten the most. The jaw power of a person is uhhhg wow.

lol @ more than happy. No doubt, because it saves you from being near the other end.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Another non-violent drug offender defeated by the government for only causing damage to one self.

Legalize, regulate, done.

Really is it the people deciding on the outlawing of explicit substances?

Think, what would organized crime come to without cash flow from the drugs that they sale?

Think, prisons are getting quite full, the majority being non-violent drug offenders, I'd rather have rapists/murderers/theifs in there.

Think, more people die each year from ciggarettes than all the illegal drugs combined.

Think, perscription drugs are on the contrary of being better for you than illicit substances.

Think, more rehabilitation, no jail time.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Psychonaughty]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Thank god this officer bravely and barehandedly took out this obviously deranged and dangerous criminal before he had a chance to hurt anyone or himself.

It's officers like this one that help us law abiding citizens sleep just a little more soundly at night and never worry when we are questioned by authorities.

/sarcasm

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

It's officers like this one that help us law abiding citizens sleep just a little more soundly at night and never worry when we are questioned by authorities.

lol

good one.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Well isn't this just disgusting. Each day I read more and more stuff that pisses me off about pigs (and yes they are pigs).

Scumbags. I want to like police, but I have seriously NEVER ONCE in my life had a positive experience with police personally.

My friends and I have been racially profiled and harrassed countless times by the police. They disgust me. And not ONE SINGLE ONE OF THESE TIMES we were doing anything wrong.

Hell just in the start of the year here in Oakland some cops shot some guy at a train station. And there is video of it. This poor black guy (who was a father, by the way) was doing NOTHING wrong, he was on the ground, he was DOING EVERYTHING the pig told him to do. And this WORTHLESS SCUMBAG PIG shot this poor man in the head and took his life.

This worthless scumbag PIG took someones father away from them.

Disgusting.

This kind of stuff happens every single week here in Oakland, and the police cover it up most the time. This particular case just happened to get caught on film.

I personally have 3 friends that were killed by police. And I have COUNTLESS friends who were beaten up by police.

And I am sorry but you guys say the cop was trying to save the guy from ODing? No, I'm sorry, that is rediculous. The filthy pig MURDERED this man.

And also the war on drugs is COMPLETELY rediculous.

And I don't want to see any of you saying I don't know what I'm talking about....

If you are not black and from the projects, you really have no idea how evil and corrupt and RACIST most police are ( and yes its pretty much only blacks from the projects and the slums that get harrassed, police don't bother all the "upperclass" blacks for the most part). I personally am half white half black but I look like a white guy and I have lived in the projects for most of my life (although now I am married and have daughter, I am not going to raise in her in the projects, so we moved outta there). COUNTLESS times cops have harrassed my buddies, and they just ignored me. Totally obvious racial profiling.

And for the most part they were harrassing my bud's for no reason at all, trying to do illegal searches and all kinds of stuff. And the reason they use to search my buddies is "they look suspicious". Well why don't I look suspicous? Is it because I look liek a white guy they think I am not suspicious. God that is so pathetic and disgusting.

And I always hear people saying stuff like "you have all this hate for the police but what if you need them one day?". Well me personally, I will NEVER need the police for anything. I can handle my own business. I was on my own 15 years old, I am a veteran of Iraq and I can fend for myself. I seriously can't think of one single reason I'd need to call the cops. We keeps guns in our house, so if a robbery or break in happens, they will get shot.

Peace ya'll

[edit on 14-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There is one bit of information you all should know before making your judgment.

Police officers face this situation all the time. The situation where someone is in possession of drugs, and they swallow all of their drugs in order to hide it from the police. There has been many deaths from overdose because of this situtation.

I think maybe the officer was doing multiple things at once; Protecting the life of the drug abuser from overdose. Protecting the destruction of evidence. Protecting everyone else in his area.

The police officer didn't know how much drugs the suspect tried to swallow. It could have been a lethal dose, that would have killed the suspect if the officer didn't try to stop him from swallowing it. So the police officer did the right thing trying to stop him from swallowing the drugs, because he was protecting the suspect from lethal overdose.

Most drug abusers aren't in the right mindset when they get pulled over, and try to hide their drugs by swallowing them. So they don't think about overdose.

It's unfortunate that this heavy set suspect was so fragile. The heavier they are, the harder they fall. I think it was a complete accident that he died. I also think the police officer was doing the right thing.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is really sad. This cop didn't mean to kill but to catch a few drugs wasn' worth it. He was trying to get it from teh guy before he swallowed it. But then, people have also died that way also. It is very possible the cop was trying to keep the guy from accidently ODing. ironically enough.

But then he could of just been rushed to the hospital. The cop was way to overzealous. But the idiot should of just given him teh drugs.

So sad for both of them.

Over a tiny bit of drugs.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
normally I am 100% against any police brutality, but this case is a little different I think.

The guy should have left his drugs in his truck and tried to play it off, or just said, "Hey I got drugs in my truck".

If an officer pulls you out of the car, chances are you will be searched (warrant less or not, this isn't the argument for that).

Knowing that you will be searched once exiting the car, keeping drugs in your hands concealed, is also a big no no. The quickest way to freak out a cop and put him against you, is to keep your hands in your pockets or closed fists. Besides looking scared/hiding something or aggressive respectively, you give immediate probable cause to be searched.

Once you fight them after them saying they want to search you, is pretty much grounds for them to overpower you in any way possible.

The least you'll get is obstruction.

Meth is a killer, and people on it are NOT normal. Which is probably the reason for him stepping out of the car with it in his hand to begin with....

The officer was trying to take down and "subdue" a very big man who was on meth. An accident was bound to happen. I can't believe he got his neck broken though. That had to take some serious strength to do that to that guy.

I'm claiming accident, but there are so many OTHER things the guy getting arrested should have done. I'm sure for the officer as well, but this guy pretty much asked for it.

Cops (especially local) will usually give you leniency if you just admit to having it. If they have to search, they get pissed.

Same is true of speeders; if you pull over when you see each other, instead of making them chase you, then you usually get a little respect.

meth is a terrible drug and should be gone. it destroys everything in a person, and literally changes the way you look. other drugs arent quite as bad, but im not condoning anything here

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I dont think its the cops fault. This fall reminds me of one I seen on youtube between two fighters, one is in a choke hold and they both fall to the ground and one gets his neck broken.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Ok here is hypothetical question my brother and I are doing some meth “which I don’t, stuff will kill you” and for some reason he is all messed up and try’s to eat the bag for whatever reason. I put him in a choke hold trying to save my drugs and keep him from overdosing and in the process he dies and his neck is broke from the choke hold! I would be prosecuted to the full extent!! Are these guys above the law? I mean the guy didn’t attack him just disobeyed him …ooh

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

To answer your hypothetical question:

You are both participating in an illegal activity. You should be held accountable for your brothers death. You made the descision to get high.

Neither one of you are police officers trying to uphold the law, which is quite different from the scenario you suggest.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

The difference the cop was doing his job and what he has been trained to do.

As I said earlier it's not the cops fault or the drug users fault he died, the fault is with the system, the laws and how it is enforced!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Our bodies do not belong to the goverment. Any slightly advanced person can see this man was murdered. He was not harming anyone, not even himself.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthman4
Our bodies do not belong to the goverment. Any slightly advanced person can see this man was murdered. He was not harming anyone, not even himself.

He was breaking the law by being in possession of a controlled substance, the officer had every right to do what he did.

This is the thing with laws, they don't ban consumption (it goes against civil rights & liberties) they instead ban possession, which is the same thing but in a legal sense it's allowed however it's wrong and needs to change

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The man dying wasn't the fault of the officer. He obviously put up resistance, and do we know what he swallowed? Could have been a cyanide capsule (obviously not but just play along). The officer was doing what he could to stop the guy from swallowing the drugs. It was the man's resistance that caused the accident.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Looks like he sort of has him in a choke hold though, and my suspiscion is that he may have broken the guys neck inadvertantly as they both crashed to the ground.

You can see the guy get up after they fell to the ground though, so they must not be showing the entire video.

Btw you are all sick whoever thinks because you have a controlled substance that gives a cop the right to be executioner or use excessive force for a questionable crime. I'm sorry the war on drugs is a farce and we are all pawns being used against ourselves to gain control over our personal freedom.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Shakesbeer]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You are living in a situation , whereas the banks and government has allowed the drastic situations to occur,the family structure has deteriated so much, and now reactions have become difficult that the police have to deal with, the police are only doing what they are told by their superiors, and the system protects the police in the process.

I agree swallowing drugs is serious, but the cop could have arrested the man and held him for 48 hours, but the cop would have let someone get the better of him, so pride got in the way.

The man did not deserve to be killed because he put something in his mouth.

This situation has made things worse, people seeing the public being harmed or killed by the police, then they will protect themselves against the police ,now through this stupidity more police (who are human beings) could get killed, all because the irresponsiblity of those in control, not looking outside of the box.

Those in control have a difficult job because crime on this level has never been this bad, its gotten worse and it will worsen even more, hence the reason for the terrorist laws.

look what happened in china recently, the world has become a difficult place to live in. how sad.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join