It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 FIFA World Cup thread

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by Anjin

Welcome to the dark side!

Haha, thanks. It's great to be here!

There are a couple of rules i'm still trying to get down such as; when a player passes back to his own goaltender, is the goaltender not allowed to pick up the ball?
I think I have offsides figured out. I had to get my mind away from Ice Hockey's offsides rule which is a bit different.

My DVR is in overdrive for the next month since the games are all played in the mornings where i'm at.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

The more the merrier

As for the rules - the goalkeeper cannot pick up the ball from a back pass unless it is a header.

I'm sure you'll pick it all up - it's fairly easy to grasp.

I'm lucky, I get them at 12:30pm, 3pm and 7:30pm so I still get a lie-in

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
we prefer to use the term Goal Keeper. If a player on the same team passes the ball back to the keeper, he can not pick it up or use his hands.

It was the case about 20 years ago where the keeper could pick up a back pass, but it really slowed the game down, easier to waste time.

I used to be a goal keeper in my youth and remember not being too pleased about the change in the rule. I was a pretty good shot stopper, but not so great with my feet, hence the reason i played in goal

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies!

Goal Keeper, i'll remember to use the proper terminology

Here in the U.S. the World Cup has had it's best TV ratings ever over the weekend so hopefully it will become a trend going forward. I think the biggest problem for the sport here is Americans generally like the instant gratification of high scoring games but they fail to see the strategy that makes the game so good.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
this Japan Cameroon game is poor. Hopefully tonights game will be a bit more entertaining.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Haha I suppose that's meant to be sarcastic. Games that involve Italy are per definition boring. I've seen Paraguay playing against Holland and they are far from exciting either.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

ahhh you did what is called "public viewing" in this town

will do so when it comes to quarter -, semi- or final

germans just love football - and clinical machines - erm yeah maybe now and then but they have their issues as well - maybe to less oil?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

i followed that as well as the netherland - denmark game via fifa matchcast
even not seeing it it was completly different to the first game
i would have bet that it was completely boring
the only real action was "x is sent out and y is sent in"

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

I know you would have won anyways, but the scoredline shouldve been different. Goals are everything in the first group stage as they can mean the difference between moving on and being eliminated.

As I said, we had a clear penalty not given, and Cahill (our best player) should not have been sent off...ditto.

Anyways, moving on now, and we must beat Ghana to have a shot at qualifying. And if you Germans let Serbia win then

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

be sure i don.t want the serbiens win, and i bet neither does the football team
so please take the weapon away oz

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
well done New Zealand, did well to get your first point in World Cup history. Well organised and deserved the draw

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Yer, fully agree. Great goal to snatch the point, well deserved.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
this afternoon... GO BRAZIL!!!! another fav of mine!

winning 3-0

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Portugal vs Ivory Coast --- another disappointing game.

I thought these were supposed to be two good teams. Portugal I can understand; they are chronic underachievers just like England. Ivory Coast, I thought they'd do better.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Ivory Coast was better than Portugal in that game though...

As for Brazil, I think it's best if they lost against North Korea. Or this dude right here is gonna throw a fit!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Are there any North Korean's on ATS who will be watching the match? No? Really?

Weird...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This first half of Brazil and North Korea was disappointing, Dunga left a bunch of proeminent names behind like Ganso and Neymar, those two with Robinho in the attack would have scored at least 2 goals.

Dunga will be one of the most hated coaches of all time if he come back to Brazil with a lame apresentation on the World Cup and I sincerely think we are not far from it..

Dunga!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Best sign seen at The World Cup so far held by a North Korean fan:

'Forget politics for 90 minutes'.

Brazil do seem to be struggling

I need a second half hat-trick from Fabiano for my dream team!:shk:

[edit on 15/6/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

The only North Korean who keeps an eye on ATS is Kim Jong Il

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Fair play North Korea. Played really well and deserved that goal, which was a beauty. Hope the citizens of North Korea get to see it.

I hope the England team are watching and realise they better buck up their ideas if they are to make any impression on this tournament.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join