It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 FIFA World Cup thread

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Don't know mate, nothing flash so far in this tournament.

Germany were quite good but, no disrepect intended, they weren't up against much.
The Dutch seemed ok too, but apart from that everyone has been pretty much average.

We won't have to be improve much to be a force.
And it's only early day's, not even a third of the way through the group stages.
Anything could happen yet.

But I dare say everyone will be saying that.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
well done New Zealand, did well to get your first point in World Cup history. Well organised and deserved the draw

Heh dads got a large signed picture of the previous NZ soccer team that made it to the world cup... I see its value slowly going up

Not a sports fan at all, but its good to see my country bucking the expected turn of events... would be bizarre if they went even further.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'm trying my chops in ATS2010. BTS automatic transfer. I like that. That said, GO ORANGE!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
Are there any North Korean's on ATS who will be watching the match? No? Really?

Weird...

Hahaha

Yeah right, considering all the paranoids nuts around here, would you admit you're North Korean?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Congrats New Zealand! My South Pacific Cousins!! GO the All Blacks!

I actually thought the Brazil v Korea game was good, Korea were extremely impressive.

They got through by their defence, which was the strongest on record for not conceding goals and that kind of play against power house Brazil allowed them to hold their head high. So well done guys!
Best game of the tournament so far for me in terms of attack and defensive skills

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The Kiwis showed their cousins across the Tasman how to stick to a plan.
With less skilful players they looked a unit and maintained their shape and discipline.
Australia need to be realistic, their back four are woeful, Craig Moore is three yards short of a kayak in pace.
Neal is on Planet Turkey , chipperfield had to cover for these buffoons on more than one occassion, Moore actually stopped on at least two occassions when he was beaten by the pacey Blitzkriegers.
IT was a disgraceful showing by the Aussies.
The Dutch look ok.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
GO the All Blacks!

Errrr.
... dont you mean the 'All Whites'?

The All Blacks are our national Rugby team
, but we forgive you on the account of the woman in your Avatar.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

yeah theyll always be allblacks...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Hey ease up on Lucas Neill

He saved our ass on at least 2 occasions too!!!

We made a big mistake with our tactical plan, and now we have to win our remaining two games, and hope Ghana lose to Germany. Must be optimistic

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Apparently there are rumours that Grella, Bresciano and Kewell have gone over Verbeeks head and complained to the FAA!!

Kewell and the FAA deny this happened and Kewell said he was dissapointed to hear about that

I hope its not true :shk:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

They are three well travelled and experienced pro's.

If they have gone to the FAA then there is something seriously wrong in the Aussie set up.
I suspect that there will be at least an element of truth in this story, football reporters are normally quite close to the truth when they print things like this.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

No, I doubt this one is true

Anyway, they are looking to Ghana now...the Ghana team just labelled us as weak....so I hope we destroy them...a-holes

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

No, I doubt this one is true

Anyway, they are looking to Ghana now...the Ghana team just labelled us as weak....so I hope we destroy them...a-holes

In all honesty you have looked like the weakest team in the tournament so far. Loosing your best players going to make it even harder for your next game. Maybe you can win the ATS fantasy league to make up for things

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

But why does Capello seem to be getting this so wrong. Surely you build your team around your 2 best players Gerrard and Rooney. Play both players in their favourite positions and work around that. It seems so obvious, but he wants to stick with a 4 4 2, leaving heskey in the team and putting Gerrard on the left.

Heskey is absolute dog s**t and i cant understand what he's doing in the team.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Being a bit of a geek and stato at times, and having far too much time on my hands at the moment, I have been having a look at previous tournaments and lot's of teams have started poorly then gradually improving and eventually doing very well.

No more so than Italy in 1982.
In the first group stage they drew 0-0 with Poland, then 1-1 with Peru followed by 1-1 with Cameroon.

They then improved steadily eventually beating Germany 3-1 in the final.

We can still go on and win this.

But I agree, it is time to drop 4-4-2 and go with Rooney alone up front with Gerrard just behind.

My line up would be.

Green.
Johnson.
Cole.
Terry.
Dawson.
Lennon.
Lampard.
Carrick.
Cole.
Gerrard.
Rooney.

But I think Capello might stick with his original line-up apart from replacing King with Carragher and Milner with Carrick.

Edit to add:

Oops, forgot Barry is fit.
Barry will play in place of Carrick.

[edit on 16/6/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I'm with you on that selection, although i would drop Robert Green. Harsh , but Joe Heart is the best keeper there and should be number 1.

Didn't Robert Green concede the most goals in last seasons premiership, now he's Englands first choice.

And what is it with not telling the players whos playing ubtil 2 hrs before?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Don't get that at all.
Unless there are injury doubts then he should be telling the players two or three days in advance so that they can be mentally prepard etc.

Capello is acting very strange...he is normally very calm and assured.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

The pressures of the England manager and the british media combined.

I've never agreed with having a foreign coach, seems to defeat the object of having a national side. Surely it would be better in the long run to find out why we cant produce successful international managers.

I have to say I agreed with what Franz Beckenbauer said about the English style and that the influx of international stars to the premiership has stifled the development of English players

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Anyone watching Spain - Switzerland? Pretty exciting and the Swiss are very surprisingly leading with 0-1!

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Can't believe Spain just got it beaten by Switzerland..

Thats fantastic! Top job by Fernandes.

Pub was awesome the other night for N.Z vs. the Slavs, lot of us yellowfever boys in there. Still need some work to do with defence, don't like seeing midfielders and strikers doing defence work along with Nelson. Just means when the balls deflected, just goes strait to the opposition.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join