It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 FIFA World Cup thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thought it apt to start the buildup to 2010 as the first qualifyers are now in.
We lovers of football know, its a long road. A road that as a proud AUSSIE become considerably shorter on the weekend.

Proud to announce that Australia became the 1st country to qualify for the World Cup playing against Qatar in Doha.

Australia are rejoicing after securing qualification for successive FIFA World Cups™ for the first time, even if the response is far more muted than that which greeted the heart-stopping triumph against Uruguay four years ago.

Australia will now compete in South Africa 2010 with a vastly experienced and cohesive line-up, many of whom featured at Germany 2006 when the Socceroos surprised many onlookers by progressing to the knockout stage only to narrowly fall at the hands of eventual champions Italy.

Yes the Italians robbed us and got a penalty from a fake fall where Lucas Neal didn't even touch the player...aarrggg still smarting

As Im also a Croatia fan (dual citizen so kinda schizo if we end up in same draw like last time)...we drew with Ukraine on the weekend

Lets see who gets in from here, and what draws we all end up with. Celeberate your countries wins and commiserate losses here.

All fixtures and results :
www.fifa.com...

All updates go here:
www.fifa.com...

Welcome the best festival on earth

Lets hope our referees are as fair and as good as this one:

[edit on 7-6-2009 by zazzafrazz]

[edit on 8-6-2009 by asala]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I don't usually pay attention to sports but I'll root for Austrailia if you think it'll help their chances...

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I was against the appointment of Capello but I must say he is doing a fantastic job with the England national team.

I am beginning to think that we may have a chance of winning in 2010 and have a growing number of betting slips which prrove I am prepared to put my money where my mouth is!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Until proven otherwise, Brazil is the team to beat.

I'm hoping the recent showing of the US in the recent tournament isn't a fluke...

But Brazil is the one to beat.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am sorry to say but Aussie football fans do not have have a clue about being robbed is all about when you are at a world cup.

I know their team could have just made it many times but they kept facing a South American side in the playoffs which I think is wrong because that is another part of the world and all different zones around the world should have at least one team. Now I think the rules have changed no doubt so Australia may get through without playing the SAmericans.

As for Italy, how many times do they getting robbed? Even at Italia 90' they had many goals disallowed and then they went to penalties and home and lost.

Then USA 94' again who else has to put up with Italy losing another final on penalties having Zola sent off for no reason against Nigeria. Then the 98' world cup against France losing on penalties, 2002 was a complete scandle, goals in every match disallowed and of course against Korea a joke of a reff.
At least in 2006 Italy got some luck back, they made it far more interesting than had Australia gone through even if they had a player sent off wrongly once again. It completed Italy's bad run for making up of being robbed so many times, I doubt the Australians will even get that far to know how it feels like.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
After a 3-0 victory over Italy, a crushing 4-1 victory over France and a 1-3 loss against Russia, we have to fix something. It was very sad that Boulahrouz lost his baby girl days before the match against Russia, otherwise I am pretty sure it would have ended up differently.

Anyhow, the team has only grown and has already qualified for the WC. I just keep my fingers crossed that Van der Sar comes back for the WC. There's quite a chance he will.

Tomorrow there will be a friendly between Holland and England in Amsterdam. 8.45 pm CET

[edit on 11-8-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Until proven otherwise, Brazil is the team to beat.

I'm hoping the recent showing of the US in the recent tournament isn't a fluke...

But Brazil is the one to beat.

Did you not read the opening post?

:shk:

This year it is all about Australia...or Croatia.

Please stop going off topic...

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Since the Aussies have a Dutch coach, I am allowed to go offtopic

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Since the Aussies have a Dutch coach, I am allowed to go offtopic

Fair Enough...

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

OK, fine...if you're gonna be that way...

*ahem*

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE...

OY, OY, OY...

Better?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE...

OY, OY, OY...

Better?

You're welcome, Zazz...

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Applause!
However...this is for all team fans to share, this thread may get ugly down the track......just saying

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
However...this is for all team fans to share, this thread may get ugly down the track......just saying

I know...

If some are willing to be 'bullied' into support for another team than perhaps their team wasn't all that...

I'm just sayin'!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It's pretty hard to see past Spain at the moment.

Others?
Brazil (of course)
Argentina

Holland might be worth an each way punt, as might England.

Never write off the Germans, and the Italians have a habit of coming good just when people are writing them off.

At the moment, it's Spain for me, despite their poor (ish) showing in the confedcup.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Spain? Not so sure, the US (bless 'em) made them look pretty weak. Gotta go with brazil. Soft spot for Germany and the United States, though.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Yeah, I saw and I'm pretty sure that was a one off, although it does point to some weaknesses at the back.

They had so many chances but just couldn't convert them, but I suppose that happens in football
and to be fair, Brazil only just beat them.

I think they'll make the semi's at least, and after that, anything can happen

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I hate saying it because there have been so many false dawns but I genuinely think England are in with a hell of a chance.

Current odds:

Brazil 9/2
Spain 5/1
Argentina 6/1
England 6/1
Germany 10/1
Italy 10/1
Holland 12/1
France 16/1
Russia 22/1
Ivory Coast 33/1
Portugal 33/1
Cameroon 50/1
Ghana 50/1
Paraguay 50/1
Chile 66/1
Croatia 66/1
South Africa 66/1
USA 66/1
Denmark 80/1
Greece 80/1
Nigeria 80/1
Serbia 80/1
Czech Republic 100/1
Japan 125/1
Republic of Korea 125/1
Sweden 125/1
Australia 150/1
Colombia 150/1
Ecuador 150/1
Egypt 150/1
Mexico 150/1
Republic of Ireland 150/1
Switzerland 150/1
Turkey 150/1
Ukraine 150/1
Uruguay 150/1
Democratic People's Republic of Korea 350/1
Norway 350/1
Bulgaria 500/1
Scotland 500/1
Northern Ireland 1000/1

I think Italy are a value bet at present.

As an aside, just what is the point of tonight's friendly against Holland?
The season hasn't even started!
My only regret is that I couldn't get to The Dam, unlike a lot of my mates.
I'm not jealous!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

this is excellent thx fb

and holland australia beat in amsterdam in a friendly a few months ago...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Speaking of world cup qualifying...

United States 1

Mexico 0

Early yet, but YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Or:

GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLL!

Watching on Telamundo... No coverage in English...oh, well...

Davies almost got hit by a beer bottle...some people.

[edit on 8/12/2009 by seagull]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Hmmm...

United States 1

Mexico 1

That was a sweet goal, from just outside the penalty area.

Oddly enough, no beer bottles...

This could be a shoot out... US needs to take the midfield away. Mexico is building up waaay too easily.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join