It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Is This Not Upsetting Blacks? New Song Produced Called "Whip It Like A Slave"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

LOL, glad you liked it and it is toooootallly on topic because it is related to the OP.

Obviously I am an alien or that could be considered extra-terrestrialist.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

That site has most of the good ones in that playlist they have goin'. At least the ones I have heard lately.

Yeah, sometimes its nice to mix up the seriousness with some less-meaningful lyrics - although I would like to see lil wayne talk about some government stuff more than just katrina and bush.

Check it out.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

Yeah, that may or may not happen though, now that he's got a larger more mainstream fan base. I can appreciate the Katrina stuff though, since he is from NOLA. I'd be rappin about it too, if I could. Haha, it's my second home.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
Slavery was real. It really happened. It's part of history. Why is it not okay to talk about it or use the concept of it in art?

For the same reason it's not good to reference the holocaust unless your feeling bad about the Jews and ignoring every one else that was butchered.

Because people tiptoe and worry about other people getting offended, something that happens every time something comes up.

Because white middle aged European males are supposed to feel guilty about the past thousands of years of ass kicking we did to every other ethnicity etc etc.

-Just a few ideas.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by js331975

I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but I feel that I myself should not feel guilty for something someone so far back in my bloodline did (may or may not have, I don't know much about my family history, i doubt we were plantation owners though). I don't agree with it at all in any way shape or form, but why should I have to carry guilt for the errors someone else made? If the whole world worked like this in every aspect of our lives (regretting something our ancestors did), we wouldn't get anything done. We'd be too busy worrying about the past to move on in the world.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Tell me. How many rap albums do you own that you base this complaint on, and which albums, by which artists?

Please, don't get overly technical. Not "every single song"...but a large portion of the songs.

I don't buy albums. I buy singles. I only buy albums put out by Metallica...but that is it (and Death Magnetic i only bought the XBox tracks for Guitar Hero....haven't gotten the album since i play that so much).

Regardless, why do you get the set the standard of proof? I would rather just let the common person here draw their own conclusions. It is information that is open and already "entered into evidence", so to speak.

As pretty much everyone is telling you, not all music within a genre is equal. Lil Wayne is to rap what Avril is to punk and Creed is to... Well, what Creed is to music as a concept. He sucks. And like the two I just compared him to, he makes money because he sucks. He has no message, no feeling, nothing of nutritional value exists in his music. And that's the only kind of music that ends up on the radio. if you haven't noticed, even your own favorite artists, whoever they may be, tend to have only their most mediocre music played on the radio. And since radio is basically advertising from start to finish...

And this is my complaint. In case you missed it, my whole point is what my children are exposed to. If you want to discuss this in any other context, I am not the one you should be talking to.

Then why is it every half-hour I hear "Cyanide! Suicide! I've already died!" repeated about thirty times on the radio?
Seriously, I hate that song, mostly because it's about twenty minutes long, has like two lines of lyrics, and sounds like every other Metallica song ever made... But I digress...

Can't argue that. My love for the band may be completely unreasonable, and it has been a love/hate affair for me, especially since the Napster issue. But i love the band they used to be, and hang on hoping to see that glimmer of awesomeness they had when i was a kid. Plus they put on a great show. Seen them three times.

And this is rap's fault? Frankly it's more likely due to the idiocy of abstinance-only sex education coupled with bad parenting

Rap comprises much of pop culture. It is what makes up much of the problems that i have. You can include other stuff, if you want, like R and B.

Not really, because the 7 year old has no idea what it means, either. But it does remind me of my little sister in her carseat years back, singing along with Jim Morrison, "MOJO RISING! RISING, RISING! GOT MY MOJO RISING!"

When my 11 year old was 7, HE knew what it meant. Their friends have big brothers that are all too happy to share info.

Clearly the Doors have no artistic value either!

Apples and oranges. It is a non-sequitor.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I understand where your coming from. If I made a song about that then of course i would be recieving some heat.

Alien Mind

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I have not read this entire thread, but was wondering why think Blacks have corner on market of being slaves.
Maybe in America but there's slave all over not just Black, and there were Whiite slaves in America before the Black ones.
My white forefathers were great slaves and had great Master also, he aways kept at least 2 slaves so one could heal while he whip the other one.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
The real question here is why do black rappers tell youngsters to cook up crack and sell it and kill each other? In reality this is black on black self-genocide. A black media personality is telling other less fortunate black people to destroy themselves or to deal drugs and go to jail so he can make money selling stupid raps to them. At some point the black people need to wake up and stop supporting these artists and messages. Why is it being done? What is the money being used for? How many black people will black people kill and what are they trying to accomplish?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
reply to post by alienstrangler

Do you even know anything about rap producers? Most of the best producers today compose every part of the beat, they don't remake some old song. Yes, there are some producers who still use the sampling method, but the best beats are the ones that are original compositions.

One example that I bet no one on this board has even heard of because they have no idea what they're talking about and only know about Snoop Dog and Jay-Z is a Bay Area producer named Rob-Lo. He produces most tracks for The Jacka. He barely ever "samples" old songs and his beats are amazing for the most part.

I have never seen a thread with so many ignorant responses before. Some other guy saying that Lil' Wayne is the artist who always says "YEA" and "OKAY" and sells Crunk Juice? What the hell are you guys talking about? You sound so out of touch. People should not comment on things that they have no knowledge about.

Unless you are in the music biz (show me some credentials) you have no idea what you're talkin about. It is of no surprise well rounded music buffs dislike the rubbish emenating from the airways. I have heard of Rob Lo. He's from the old school, a talent that I failed to mention. However you stand corrected by the fact that these "producers" recompose beats after a little technological processing. It is not in their best interest to totally rip apart a great classic song/beat to appear original... why not just start from scratch? The whole idea nowadays is to take what has clearly been demonstrated in the past to be a great piece of music and simply throw in some shallow mindless jive talk and sell it to the public. These producers gut the core content of the song along with the abstract language or lesson behind it. Then, they incorporate a redundant catchphrase such as (fill in the blank).... It's just a brand new second hand, nothing more, nothing less. Juvenile minds prefer this redundancy and perhaps, just perhaps, the greatest rap producers in their quest for "mo money" have caught on to this idea. Here in L.A. two great radio stations (indie 103.1 & 97.1) have been abruptly taken off the air. The former playing music from the greats such as the clash, ramones, x, black flag, sex pistols, dead kennedys, vandals, and many other bands too many to mention here. The latter consisting of radio personalities such as Tom Leykis, Tim Conway jr., Frosty Heidi & Frank, Adam Carolla, and who could not forget Danny Bonaduce... in a talk format that certainly would not appeal to your low i.q. What have they been replaced by??? More mindless synthetic top 40 bullsh1t including lil wayne!! Thanks to people like you and your preferred taste in bland cookie cutter "music" I have to suffer the consequences.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Hip hop has reached a turning point in the black community after years of growing popularity. This is due growing criticism from within the culture, many can see it’s negative effect on society.

A lot of blacks are sick of rap because the negativity is just over the top now. This song is a perfect example of that. Nas challenged the condition of the art form when he titled his latest album "Hip-Hop is Dead." And it is in my opinion and many others opinion

Me; personally, can't stand to listen to that nonsense, I can't listen to another black man talk about how the ones that make it don't come to the hood anymore. But in the end this is the kind of music America wants to hear.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by THX-1138
The real question here is why do black rappers tell youngsters to cook up crack and sell it and kill each other? In reality this is black on black self-genocide. A black media personality is telling other less fortunate black people to destroy themselves or to deal drugs and go to jail so he can make money selling stupid raps to them. At some point the black people need to wake up and stop supporting these artists and messages. Why is it being done? What is the money being used for? How many black people will black people kill and what are they trying to accomplish?

Even though there is truth to what you say, Hip-hop also seems to be increasingly blamed for a variety of social ills. People attempt to link it to everything from teen drug use to increased sexual activity among girls.

Hip-hop has been in essence, pop music for years, and most of the music is bought by whites. Even though this is a proven fact, the black community is the only race that is perceived whit a negative image.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

If you want REAL music:

LOL...i have been hooked on this video for about 3 months. It is like "Chocolate Rain for the Soul".

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

If you want REAL music:

LOL...i have been hooked on this video for about 3 months. It is like "Chocolate Rain for the Soul".

Genius....
Wow, what a devestating blow to the black community. These rednecks are the OG beat box kings. Blacks have a penchant for stealing lots of stuff.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
You want upset?
How about Chicago hood snipers.... www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I did not allow myself to be tortured through the entire song, but I did find the first few lyrics amusing.

"stand over the stove and whip it like a slave..."

What the hell? LOL! Kind of sounds painful...

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
this is horrible and little wayne is evil.. i am half black and half egyptian and modern day rap music is RUINING my people its #ing horrible. now i am a fan of hip hop music but im mainly into stuff from the 90s there where a lot of rappers back then who are very enlightened and made some very eye openining and amazing and postivie music except the sad thing is most of these rappers never got signed to big labels and stuff because the big record labels only want to put out negative and dumbed down music for some reason..

but this crap i see all over tv nowadays lil wayne 50 cent and all them are a disgrace and this kind of music (if you can even call it music) is one of the main reason white people and people of other races think all blacks are stupid or ignorant and violent... etc.

and yuck after reading through this thread i sense some racism from a lot of you and you seem to think all black people are like this.. WE ARENT! and i hate racism and wish it would just go away... i dont hate anyone in any race i have problems with people in EVERY race but id ont go hating a whole race.. that is so dumb to me.

[edit on 6-6-2009 by jouseroni]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeechQuestInfo
It doesn't affect blacks becuase it's called culture. The same way when people call me a honkey I don't care.

Actions speak louder than words dude.

Anybody in that culture know's that he is referring to whipping crack. It's a metaphor fool, not a very clever one as I've heard it before.

But again, it's his culture. Lil Wayne grew up whipping crack apparantly, so why not rap about it?

[edit on 3-6-2009 by GeechQuestInfo]

sorry but this is not "black culture" this is what the media has created and shows black culture as... cooking crack is not part of a culture thats the downfall of a people...i live in the middle of oakland and im black myself and im surrounded by blacks and about 50 percent of us are nothing like that and arent into lil wayne or any of this crap.

i personally dont know how anyone can be a fan of lil wayne when theres tons of rappers out there (mostly on independent record labels if anyone wants a name of some of em just ask) who have good postive messages in their music and are actually trying to enlighten people.. all lil wayne is doing is dumbing down my people.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeechQuestInfo
Good call on simile, looks like I should go take a semester of English Grammar.

Bad call on Asher Roth.

www.racialicious.com...

But apparently, Asher Roth has been busy.

Apparently, Asher Roth was recently on the Rutgers campus and tweeted that he was hanging out with some “Nappy Headed Hoe’s.” He then tried to clean it up and recant by saying that “he was trying to make fun of Don Imus.” He apologized as well.

So, um, White rappers, even your boy Asher Roth do make comment like that and NOBODY cares. HE EVEN USED WHAT GOT DON IMUS IN TROUBLE. Because humans with common sense understand entertainment.

Quit trying to get a race debate started. I'm so sick of that stuff on this forum, that's not what ATS is about.

im black and this doesnt offend me at all lol. i think asher roth is a horrible rapper and i dont care for him but this doesnt bother me... he was just makign a simple joke... the don imus thing didnt really bother me either lol.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben Niceknowinya
C'mon, you can't be serious?

It's all in the context...as Carlin once said.

I'm a hip hop junky, and personally the ghetto-nastier the better.

Most black artists in the hip hop community love to capitalize on it.

Part of the game. It's all about making bank. Bottom line.

Find something controversial even racial and make a rap, especially if the line's catchy............cha' ching'. $$$

*blow up like the world trade*

see im a hip hop junky too but i dont consider lil wayne hip ho he is just garbage and you said it perfectly... alll this rap you see on tv is all about the money and crap and how much girls they get and stuff that i dont care about doesnt affect my daily life... i listen to rappers who actually have something to say and make me think and after hearing their songs makes me wanna research and learn. i dont think i can think of one single main stream rap song that has made me think except maybe the roots and stuff (i dont really consider them mainstream though even tho they are all over tv.. i mean lyrically and music wise they arent mainstream)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join