It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Is This Not Upsetting Blacks? New Song Produced Called "Whip It Like A Slave"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heatburger
reply to post by Rocketgirl

EDIT: I think I replied to the wrong person...this was directed at whomever said they didn't want to listen to music that talked bad about women...

The actual post:

Wow. That argument is pretty tired. Most all "radio" music nowdays somehow talks bad about women.

As far as music with guitars is concerned (I get the impression that that may be your taste) most everything written and sung by a man is negative towards women. Be it "emo" or country or rock or hardcore in the sense that they broke a man's heart or in rap where we (women) did the same with more vulgarities, most current music is all the same. Woman breaks man's heart, man gets over it and gets on with his life.

The only thing rappers do different is flaunt their money or their "roots" a bit more in their music. As a primary "indie" music fan, I can appreciate rap music for those reasons. Most all of them tell a story, fictitious or not, it's a story, and that is why I appreciate what rappers have to say. They have the balls to say the words most other genres of music I listen to don't.

Freedom of speech. Just because a musician uses "offensive" words does not mean they should have any less of a right to make their music than other musicians of another "less offensive" genre.

I can say, as a woman, that I can get over the obceneties directed at my gender and appreciate the meaning/story behind the whole song, regardless of how it portrays me. It's an art form. Express how you feel fit, as far as I'm concerned.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Heatburger]

This is has to be the biggest load of crap I've heard on ATS. What story are these rappers who make a career out offending women writing? Is it entertaining? Sometimes, admittedly I like Snoop Doggy Dogg's early material, which the majority was highly offensive to women, but what story was he telling? He wasn't telling stories, and today's rapper are even worse. To me, at least Snoop sounded good back in the day, today's rappers are just horrible.... every rap song on MTV is the same, the same can be said about the videos... nothing is original anymore.... Aside from a few rappers like Lupe Fiasco, and Kanye West, few are actually making art. The large majority, which consists of rappers like Lil Wayne, Hurricane Chris, and others like them are just.... they're just horrible really...

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

I'll give you that, so I'll correctively rephrase myself. Some rappers and hip hop artists tell stories. Radio music typically doesn't so much tell stories as it more expresses thoughts, feelings, etc.

Now with the intellectual value aside, my point was that I didn't care how degrading to women or if someone wanted to rap about their escalades on 22s and their millions of dollars, or their drug dealings. My point was and that everyone has a right to say what they feel, and what they want. If it's offensive to a person, that person should just get over it and not listen, rather than sit around and whine about how wrong it is.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
You sittin' on a hundred and ten countin' the spare?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I hate rap. I hate it. I can't stand it. You know what else I hate? Racism. This rap thing you're discussing is disgusting. Black people walk around calling eachother things that if a white person had said them would be described as racist (when I say black people I don't mean all of them, one of my best friends is black and he thinks the same as me). I can remember being on work experience and I was with this guy (who was black, and slightly backward) and he kept on playing this rap thing. You know what it was called? I'm going to say it (but remember, this is not me talking, it's a [shudder] rap thing):

My N!@gers pull the triggers.

Yeah. And I remember thinking- If a white guy had done that he would be over. I am still disgusted to this day. Just wrong. And so is rap. (no offence to any one, it's just my view)

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Well slavery is the only thing that blacks have. I mean nothing of their own history till then and they hold onto and cherish it more than anything in the world. They were and always will be slaves and thats the way it is.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
.... ahahaha, The title of this thread is inherintly racist ......

... your assuming only black people are slaves ! aha.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Yeah it is amazing how Blacks beat themselves up so much with rap.
It is as if the whole Black community of thugs is trying to die as fast as they can.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well, they aren't all bad. The way in which some of them behave brings about this stereotypical image of black people (usually youngsters) that isn't good at all. The ones that don't bring up slavery at every opportunity and/or shout racist at the slightest glance get mixed up in that image. The ones that do it ought to grow up and realise that they are doing themselves no favours.
I've never said anything racist in my life but I tell you I've been victimised by black people (not a minority, but few) for being white and have had to put up with black people being racist to eachother. Rediculous.

Ramadwarf on racism

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Ramadwarf Philes]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Simple a BLACK rapper wrote it and is singing it so it's ok. If a white rapper like eminem wrote it omg look out lawsuits would be abound. This IMO is just stupid.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
black people weren't the only ones ever to get enslaved. Why arent the Incas/Mexicans getting all upset about this? How about the jews, or the Vietnamese? in fact, how about us whites? im sure theres been a few white slaves buried in history.

I find this thread offensive as i like to think were past bringing up trivial racial issues.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Yeah, that's right. To be honest I don't think black SHOULD be offended and I don't think that they should be offended if a white person were to do what this guy did. None of the black people alive (I mean ones likely to be listening to this partiicular form of noise) have experienced what they complain about and none of the white people alive are guilty of mmaking them slaves.
South Americans and so on don't make a fuss about the darker parts of their history because they have better things to do.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
reply to post by baseball101

I think what should be just as offensive is that they are referred to as "Blacks".
I mean, come on man. Haven't we moved past that already. I'm not the most politically correct person in the world by any means but "Blacks"

I think I would afford them the dignity of at least choosing a description of them based on something other than their skin color.

African Americans, The African American community, peoples of African American decent, etc.

Sorry to be so rude but it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I read the heading, and I am just a Honkey from the Midwest.

I have known a few black people that hate it when they are called African Americans and I think its dumb also. If your born in the US then your American to me and if you ask me what color you are then I will tell you what I see not because its racist but because its what you are. Do I need to be called Norwegian American because somebody in my family came from there? How about a white American?

If I'm standing in a room with a bunch of Hispanics and Blacks would you not say he is the white guy to describe me to somebody who asked?

We have become far to PC and its now causing more issues then it ever fixed. This song will sell just because the name will stir up talk about it as it climbs the charts.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Jyeah!!!

Know waht I'm sayin'?

I'm sayin' though.

Nahmean?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

How Is This Not Upsetting Blacks? New Song Produced Called "Whip It Like A Slave"

I'm sorry when I heard this I had to post it here! Just imagine the repercussion's that a white person would face if they made a song called "Whip It Like A Slave" ... this is a song by some very famous black rappers... My jaw dropped when I heard this, it is truly sad seeing as to how these types of songs can be produced and nothing happen to the rappers because they're black.

honestly if a white person made this they would be in court in no time.

Originally posted by GeechQuestInfo
It doesn't affect blacks becuase it's called culture. The same way when people call me a honkey I don't care.

Actions speak louder than words dude.

Anybody in that culture know's that he is referring to whipping crack. It's a metaphor fool, not a very clever one as I've heard it before.

But again, it's his culture. Lil Wayne grew up whipping crack apparantly, so why not rap about it?

[edit on 3-6-2009 by GeechQuestInfo]

Excuse me, but I HAD to get in on this one. I was reading this discussion and not ONE of these responses (so far...I couldn't read them all) is written by a BLACK person.

1. You say "How is this not upsetting blacks?". I am black and most of my friends are...and they are all outraged by it. We didn't know it had been released until just recently.

2. "It doesn't affect blacks becuase it's called culture." I don't want to say "hate", but I HATE when people try to describe blacks as if we are all the same person. We do not think alike. The black people who are no affected by it are just brainwashed and might as well have sold their dignity for cash and fame. They obviously have no self-respect. Keep in mind, when I say "They" I mean the idiots who like this, not blacks in general, because as I said before, every black person who I've talked to about this HATES this song. But, unfortunately, we are unable to stop him from writing and releasing songs.

(I will continue this response later)

-TheonenonlyRMD
"aka the only black person responding to this post?"

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
reply to post by GeechQuestInfo

yeah, i know that, but just imagine if a white person made this, dude.

But a white person DIDN'T make it, the biggest name in the rap industry did. Get over it man it's not that big of a deal. The past is the past.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketgirl

Not all rap/hip hop demoralizes woman, Little Wayne is one I have issues with a long a few others as THEY do support the exploitation of woman and prostitution further putting more "positive" attention to child prostitution.

But that being said, not all do this sure it may seem that way when it's what you're exposed to on the main stream music outlets but if you dig a little deeper you'll see this generalization is wrong there's actually some very moving/passionate hip hop out there.
No fault of your own you just simply don't like the music so you wouldn't know.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join