It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 388
<< 385  386  387    389  390  391 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
New flu virtually everywhere in U.S. now, CDC says

Mon May 18, 2009 11:22am EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The new strain of H1N1 flu is circulating in 48 states, with six deaths and more than 5,000 confirmed cases, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Monday.

CDC experts have said it is likely more than 100,000 people are really infected with the virus, which appears mild but which is still worrying experts because most patients are young adults, teens and children.

Abandon Ship! Every man for yourself! Man the life boats!! The end is nigh!!!

Gotta have a little funny every now and then to cut the tension.

[edit on 5/18/2009 by pcgeek]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
My heart goes out to his family:

"Wiener sickened quickly and dramatically: the flu shut down his kidneys and ravaged his lungs.

Doctors tried frantically to save him, even using an experimental device to expose his blood to ultraviolet rays. It was fruitless."

This is sounding more like a viscious-virus every day!

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Why the virus spreaded so fast in Japan and seems to be dormant in most countries, with many nations showing only 1 or 2 infected persosns for more than a week?
It may happened because there's something new regarding Japan or (that's my opinion) because other countries are all hiding real numbers.

What is your opinion about that?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

I'm in Iowa too and Hubby and I just got back from getting our pneumonia vaccines. I went to the clinic at the hospital. There were no problems at all. I scheduled it last week and they had us set up for today. The only problem I am having is getting one for my 12 yr old daughter. They tell me to go to Public Health for that and Public Health says they don't do that so the clinic tells me they won't do it till she is 18. *sigh* Anyways, it was no big deal and the nurse was just curious as to why we were getting our shots today. She didn't ask till after the shots. I told her it was because the CDC recommended them for smokers now and Hubby and I were new non-smokers and when we get sick, it goes straight to our lungs. No problems at all. Feel fine and even got a smiley face band-aid! I definitely was NOT going to mention anything else about why we wanted them. Our local hospital is under the general opinion that even discussing H1N1 is a joke.
Just call up your local clinic! Good luck!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DropOfKim
reply to post by pcgeek

I'm in Iowa too and Hubby and I just got back from getting our pneumonia vaccines. I went to the clinic at the hospital. There were no problems at all. I scheduled it last week and they had us set up for today. The only problem I am having is getting one for my 12 yr old daughter. They tell me to go to Public Health for that and Public Health says they don't do that so the clinic tells me they won't do it till she is 18. *sigh* Anyways, it was no big deal and the nurse was just curious as to why we were getting our shots today. She didn't ask till after the shots. I told her it was because the CDC recommended them for smokers now and Hubby and I were new non-smokers and when we get sick, it goes straight to our lungs. No problems at all. Feel fine and even got a smiley face band-aid! I definitely was NOT going to mention anything else about why we wanted them. Our local hospital is under the general opinion that even discussing H1N1 is a joke.
Just call up your local clinic! Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the info. I will call public health and my normal doctor after my son and I get up from our nap and see if I can get it through either of them. wich ever is cheaper.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DropOfKim

I'd be interested to know how you feel in the next few weeks... did your vax contain mercury do you know?

I have had 2 bad bouts of pneumonia nd hubby really wants me to get vaxed against it now winnie the flu is about... but I have only just recovered from a bad reaction to Hep C vax and I just dont want to go through another 2 years of cr@p....

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nanbei
Why the virus spreaded so fast in Japan and seems to be dormant in most countries, with many nations showing only 1 or 2 infected persosns for more than a week?
It may happened because there's something new regarding Japan or (that's my opinion) because other countries are all hiding real numbers.

What is your opinion about that?

Or is it because Japan have super dooper testing and whiz the tests through... I bet they aren't 3 weeks backlogged with their winnie the flu samples!!

I don't think anyone is hiding the real numbers.. it would be one MIGHTY power to silence both scientists, medics, friends of above and the MSM and friends of.... I think we are just all terribly behind in getting our results through.... apathy or overwhelming the system??? dont know.....

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic
expose his blood to ultraviolet rays. It was fruitless."

very VERY interesting....

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Pax or Eco or other med pros' out there: As I posted last week, went to get pneumonia vaccine last week. Question: I have a 10 year old. He did not get the ped version as a infant. Should I get this for him the p. vaccine in your opinion? And to answer another post's question--I was told--no mercury and dept. of health had no problem giving it to a 10-year-old.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by EDteach]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
While media and governments around the world are treating the new flu as a bad taste joke, in Japan it's in the front pages. See, as an example, the NHK site in english:
www.nhk.or.jp...

The pattern of the spreading of this virus in japan is a very clear proof that they are lying about the number of infected in all other countries.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nanbei

Interesting you should say that...I'd probably agree with your thinking in that the Japanese aren't trying to maintain economic stability and to avoid any potential panic response but rather it seems thay are educating and honestly informing regardless of the losses in the market or other sector.
Are they "smarter" or more "cautious" in all of this?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Here is the poll on the article you linked to...I found it very interesting...
I voted yes...They should have closed the school sooner...

Poll Results

Thank you for voting.

Should the City Health Department have been more aggressive about closing schools where students have flu symptoms?

Yes - the Queens assistant principal might not have become ill if the school had closed sooner. 52%

No - if they closed every school where students have flu symptoms, or there would be no schools open. 16%

Not sure - it's easy to second guess, but there is no way to know how a sickness will evolve and spread. 32%

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

link...

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

See I just think they have a faster test / result turn around... I can't imagine [and it horrifies me to think it could be] that any 'thing' could be powerful enough to silence EVERY medic, EVERy scientist, ALL the MSM and friends of.....

It just either sounds like bull or like a horror story...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

Makes sense to me,the Japanese tend to be efficient and they most certainly have the tech and testing down to a science.

Now what is the problem here in the US? Do we not have the testing "down pat" or are certain factors in this potential pandemic simply being left to "chance" aka a waiting game and THEN they will spring into action? IE,the ball will be dropped...
IMO,if it was going to fizzle out,it would have already done so and not continued to spread.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK

Originally posted by irishchic
expose his blood to ultraviolet rays. It was fruitless."

very VERY interesting....

Anyone else pick up on this and what I was chewing on erlier....

*shrugs* Anyway.. this isn't cheap.. its like 5 grand for a Photoluminesence [or UBI] treatment which lasts about 5 hours...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
From what I'm reading, it appears we aren't going to phase 6 today. I'm shocked and concerned regarding this decision. Any chance of going to phase 6 this week? Any clues?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sapphirearaidia

I voted as well. That this man died because of trying to down play the situation is beyond the pale..I am angry FOR that family!
I hope his wife, God love her, jumps all over this asap.

My family had a similiar health situation that I won't go into, but thank Heavens my dad didn'y die; he was in a mess though due to medical error, and negligence.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This whole thing has shown a clear scenario of just how fast and easy a potentially deadly strain can spread with our modern forms of quick transportation. Gone are the days of a hot zone being isolated. Even with a short incubation time, people would be all over the globe before showing symptoms... it's an eerie situation.

Hopefully people will get in the habit of always keeping extra food and water on hand in case they need to stay home at a moments notice should we see a lethal strain arise. Besides, there are more than enough reasons to keep supplies around anyways. We get floods and other natural disasters here, stores go on strike or go out of business suddenly, and even a basic illness can sometimes knock you off your feet for a few weeks... take your pick.

*sigh* Well... if I absolutely must be given a virus, could it please be one of the Matrix Twins? I'm even willing to get both of them... to keep everyone else safe of course! Yes please??

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
2 further deaths in Mexico, total 70, total worldwide 78

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK

I have no idea but I am in heaps of pain... I'm too busy with work [and posting on here in between lol] to take pain killers as they zonk me out and the sling just kills my neck so.. well... there ya go!
I couod go private but can't get an appointment with my doctor to ask him to start the ball rolling until tomorrow evening!

I broke my shoulder a few years ago and the ortho wouldn't even come to the hospital - then they were going to monitor it for weeks - luckily friends convinced me to go to NYC to see a good doctor after 2 weeks - his response was "don't know who you saw don't want to know who you saw but this should have been operated on right away" so it isn't just the UK that does stuff like that --

btw if you can get someone to get to a camera shop have them get a foam strap and switch it out on your sling - much more comfortable

back on topic

I don't think we will see the level go to 6 only because they are busy covering their tracks with people die because of underlying conditions -(sarcasm on) hey it can't be that bad if people aren't dying because of the flu but because of something else ya know (sarcasm off now)- ---did any one else notice Bloomberg called the Assistant Principal Michelle instead of Mitchell -- and the person behind him looking flustered.

top topics

<< 385  386  387    389  390  391 >>

join