It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 385
<< 382  383  384    386  387  388 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK
Well I'm waiting [have been for 8 days] to get my arm/shoulder plastered after a fracture so they can wait until Wednesday Lunchtime when I should be ready and done! lol

Girl! why do you have to wait 8 days to get your arm plastered? sounds crazy!

If i broke my arm now, I go to the ER and have it x-rayed and plastered and then be home in a couple of hours! - in all of the Scandinavian countries!

So whats up with this '8 days' sillyness in the U.K - I don't understand?

Is it because of the flu? - to many people need attention at the same time? - what?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Experimental drug?? Don't US drugs need to be licensed before being shoved in people?

I'd like to know [sorry to be morbid] HOW these people died..

Did they slip away into a deep sleep and never wake up or did they trash around in a panic, did they look the same when they died or have they turned purple with pink spots, is there any link with how person 1 died and person 4 or 7 ? Or did they all have unique deaths not similar in any way..

How comes NOT ONE of the victims surviving witnessing relatives has given an interview to decribe what happened, how it happned or what was happening with the family now??

[Bar vague reports of Trunnel sueing the pigs]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

It's called the National Helath Service..

God help us Brits if this Flu picks up steam here

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous
Girl! why do you have to wait 8 days to get your arm plastered? sounds crazy!

I have no idea but I am in heaps of pain... I'm too busy with work [and posting on here in between lol] to take pain killers as they zonk me out and the sling just kills my neck so.. well... there ya go!
I couod go private but can't get an appointment with my doctor to ask him to start the ball rolling until tomorrow evening!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
reply to post by Chevalerous

It's called the National Helath Service..

God help us Brits if this Flu picks up steam here

Which is why I mentioned it on here... just so people can see we may have FREE health care but its like anything which is free... we join the queue and hope a queue jumper doesn't shove his/her way in first.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
"Free health care" is what a lot of Americans are fighting right now. I, for one, want no part of it. I can't imagine what treatment will be like if you all in the UK are faced with this flu really getting out of hand- God forbid!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The raising of the pandemic level to 6 is long overdue.

Transmission of Swine H1N1 In Japan Signals Phase 6

see at Recombinomics
Also at the same link:

Although the CDC estimated that the number of true cases in the US was 100,00, that estimate is likely to be 1-2 orders of magnitude too low. Surveillance in the US detects about 0.1% of true cases, so the 1500 cases in the CDC weekly report would represent 1.5 million cases in the US alone, and this estimate may be low because many cases are mild, and those in regions not reported to have high levels are not tested.

It's clear that Phase 6 has not been declared yet mainly for economic reasons. They're capable of doing anything in order to mantain the status quo!

MSM will start to worry about this pandemic, giving it the proper disclosure (if alolowed by PTB) only when thousands of people start dying on hospitals lines and it will be impossible to deny that this new virus poses a real threat to human kind.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Health officials in Texas confirmed the state's third swine flu-related death Friday, as the World Health Organization warned against a false sense of security because most cases of the virus have been mild. Corpus Christi-Nueces County Health District's Dr. William Burgin Jr. said a 33-year-old man died May 5 or 6 after becoming sick a few days earlier. He said the man had pre-existing medical conditions, including heart problems, that made it more difficult for him to survive any viral illness. The man, who was not identified, lived in Corpus Christi and was a single parent to three children, said Burgin. One of the children contracted swine flu but has recovered.

Does that not make 6 deaths?

BBC chart only shows 4

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoreallyknows
reply to post by Night Watchman

I agree, they seem to never question the whole "underlying condition" statement

Underlying condition doesn't have to be anything serious either...it can be as simple as this patient had asthma, well so does half of the rest of America so you doesn't really make me less worried.

Here is my personal list of underlying conditions most people are walking around with everyday that can make you more easily taken out by the flu...please not most of us have one or more, or know someone who has them.

1. Asthma
2. Allergies
3. Heart murmur
4. Autoimmune disease: Lupus, Hypo-Hyper thyroidism, Sarcoidosis, Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis, etc
5. Diabetes
6. Pregnancy
7. Having had pneumonia in the past
8. High blood pressure
9. Hepatitis
10. Cancer
11. Any illness that causes you to need prednisone, anti-TNF meds.
12. Stress

and the list could go on and on and on...Needless to say we pretty much all have some form of underlying condition...

People please don't let the underlying condition statement cause you to be over confident about your chances, the people dieing were functioning adults, none have been reported to have any "severe" underlying conditions like being on chemo at the time, so I'm finding it highly alarming that they are continuing to

toss that excuse out there

STRESS EVERYONE ON THE PLANET HAS THAT . SO THE WHOLE WORLDS A GONER THIS IS GREAT NEWS

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy

"Free health care" is what a lot of Americans are fighting right now. I, for one, want no part of it. I can't imagine what treatment will be like if you all in the UK are faced with this flu really getting out of hand- God forbid!

I also have private health care I pay for but haven't used yet and wont unless I really need to as it is part of a 'big pot' all members dip into when they need help.. A lot like the NHS but for members. I wonder if they would help when this hits the fan or if Bupa, PPP, Benenden and the like will close it's doors and say "sorry, cant help.. ask teh NHS"

Hmmm I might call mine up and ask... [benenden]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

Yes there has been 6 deaths in the US and 76 worldwide in total

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

GENEVA (Reuters) - The H1N1 flu virus is likely to keep spreading rapidly between people, within countries and across the globe, the head of the World Health Organization said on Monday.

WHO Director-General Margaret Chan told her United Nations agency's annual meeting that the new strain may pose particular risks when it mixes with the H5N1 flu virus, which has proved deadly in birds but not transmitted easily between people.

It could also cause risks for people with HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis, and in crowded shantytowns, she said.

hmm so its "when" not "if". Quite bad news

Link

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Well soo sorry to hear about the health service in the U.K!

We also have free health care service here in Scandinavia! but not that long waiting time for a broken arm like 8 days with pain!! If they are real busy I know you have to wait in the waiting room, but usually not more than 4-6 hours.

Last year I broke a toe
when I was helping my father with the house in Spain, and we went to the ER and I was home again in our house 4 hours later.

The medical health service I have received in Spain was great! I was surprised with the fast service and it was free as well because of my 'European Health Card' (EHC)

Flu Infections Ten-Fold Higher Than Confirmed Cases

Do we think it's enough with Ten-Fold Higher??

I know this info is already posted but I'm just thinking out loud now!

A high-ranking official of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has estimated that the actual number of swine flu cases in the U.S. could be “upwards of 100,000”—a far cry from the official count of 7,415 cases confirmed thus far.

www.redorbit.com...

Yeah! therefore I really would like to see the real numbers for the world!

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
CAN sombody just photoshop dumbass on the WHOs chiefs forhead for us please

. www.google.com...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Bird flu outbreak continues in Vietnam... 4 out of 5 human cases dead... if, and I repeat if, A/H1N1 combines with bird flu, look out people it will be bad, link...

www.worldpoultry.net...

New York Times conditioning the public that WHO will raise alert level soon...

www.nytimes.com...

Eco, yes I did see the significance in the AMA post, but didn't bold it like you did, thanks for reinforcing it... yes, it does tell us CDC are faxing marching orders to docs as frequently as several times a day possibly changing protocol policies more often than anyone thought before that article in AMA hit the web around midnight Eastern last night. Thanks for reposting! ;-)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

according to the source i linked to earlier the WHO said it WILL combine with h5n1, not if.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Todays update from the WHO, a worldwide breakdown:

Countries officially reporting cases Cumulative total of confirmed cases including deaths (as of 18 May 2009 06:00 GMT) Newly confirmed cases including deaths since 17 May 2009
Cases Deaths Cases Deaths
Argentina 1 0 0 0
Australia 1 0 0 0
Austria 1 0 0 0
Belgium 5 0 1 0
Brazil 8 0 0 0
Canada 496 1 0 0
Chile 1 0 1 0
China 6 0 1 0
Colombia 11 0 0 0
Costa Rica 9 1 0 0
Cuba 3 0 0 0
Denmark 1 0 0 0
Ecuador 1 0 0 0
El Salvador 4 0 0 0
Finland 2 0 0 0
France 14 0 0 0
Germany 14 0 0 0
Guatemala 3 0 0 0
India 1 0 0 0
Ireland 1 0 0 0
Israel 7 0 0 0
Italy 9 0 0 0
Japan 125 0 118 0
Korea, Republic of 3 0 0 0
Malaysia 2 0 0 0
Mexico 3103 68 208 2
Netherlands 3 0 0 0
New Zealand 9 0 0 0
Norway 2 0 0 0
Panama 54 0 0 0
Peru 1 0 0 0
Poland 1 0 0 0
Portugal 1 0 0 0
Spain 103 0 0 0
Sweden 3 0 0 0
Switzerland 1 0 0 0
Thailand 2 0 0 0
Turkey 2 0 1 0
UK 101 0 19 0
United States of America 4714 4 0 0
Total 8829 74 349 2

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

Do you think that was a slip up? Or is this another warning sign.

I am wondering if this is the real reason for the delay to declare level 6; maybe the virus is already recombining with H5n1, and they are waiting for that to grab ahold, THEN raise the alert level. Why use all of your ammunition, causing panic and economic disruption until it is absolutely necessary?

Just a thought....

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

To be honest i wouldn't be surprised if it was just an accident/ typo of sorts.
However a lot of experts have commented on the h1n1 and h5n1 combination being quite likely so maybe that was a slip by the WHO in order to soften the blow.

Logically speaking as h1n1 spreads, especially in Asia and Egypt the chances of it infecting someone with bird flu or a bird with it, it is fairly high.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

You should have had your arm in plaster by now. Kinda bizzare that you have to wait a week!!! Completely shocking.

new topics

top topics

<< 382  383  384    386  387  388 >>

join