It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 391
<< 388  389  390    392  393  394 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
CDC's weekly flu report:

Synopsis:

During week 18 (May 3 - 9, 2009), influenza activity remained at approximately the same level as last week in the United States, indicating that there are higher levels of influenza-like illness than is normal for this time of year.

One thousand four hundred fifty-four (11.9%) specimens tested by U.S. World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories and reported to CDC/Influenza Division were positive for influenza.
The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was below the epidemic threshold.
Three influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported.
The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was above the national baseline. Three of the ten surveillance regions reported ILI above their region-specific baselines.
Eight states reported geographically widespread influenza activity, 14 states reported regional activity, the District of Columbia and 15 states reported local influenza activity; and 13 states reported sporadic influenza activity.

The chart in this link shows the stats of what flu's are floating around so late in the season..Link

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneInDarkness

Thanks for the heads up....just turned it on!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
www.webmd.com...

THIS isn't looking good:

May 18, 2009 -- H1N1 swine flu appears to be spreading in Japan, pushing the world to the brink of an official flu pandemic.

"Japan's cases of H1N1 spiked today with 104 new lab-confirmed cases, raising that nation's swine-flu case count from 25 to 129. Ten schools in the Kobe City area reported 78 of the new

If the new cases do indeed represent "community-level sustained transmission" of the virus in Asia, it would be the second region of the world to have wide spread of H1N1 swine flu. That would meet the official WHO criteria for moving from the current level 5 pandemic alert to the ultimate level 6 alert."

"Despite the worrisome news from New York, Schuchat said the swine flu is now spreading most quickly in the Pacific Northwest and in the Southwest. Case counts -- 5,123 as of today -- are "the tip of the iceberg."

"The way this virus is spreading in the U.S., we are not out of the woods and disease is continuing," Schuchat said."

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by antmar

I know!-what was up with THAT? I saw some "stuff" this morning and wondered what was going on!!

So I peeked over in the global meltdown threads and he was there; at least we know he is ok!

Hx3, come back!!

Ok, back to the updates!
-FMF

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunieri
CDC's weekly flu report:

Synopsis:
The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was below the epidemic threshold.

WHOA!

Everyone back up a minute. I've never seen this before. Does this mean that before they say this is a level 6, a certain number of people have to DIE?

Am I reading that wrong or is that whay they are saying?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
What about the significant reports of UFO activity in Mexico and the recent Swine Flu epidemic, are they related?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

han also noted that diarrhea has occurred in about 25% of H1N1 cases, an unusual feature for influenza. If the virus is shed in fecal matter, that would mean trouble for places with poor sanitation, such as urban shantytowns, she said.

link

I read on another medical board that this is why the CDC/WHO are insistent that we wash our hands - it is spreading by touch rather than by coughing/sneezing (that's why they are saying the masks are ineffective)

Also read that the nose swap is ineffective in half the tests and the tests would be more accurate though an anal swap because the infection is starting in our intestinal track.

Is it also possible that it is being spread about through our produce/meats due to unsanitary practices?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

Could you elaborate a little further? I'm not getting what you mean here..

Thanks for your suggestion!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Does anyone know whether any confirmed case of H1N1 has recovered without the use of tamiflu or another anti viral?

Or has every case been given anti virals from day one?

I ask this as i read about the poor man in NYC who died yesterday and he did not decide to have treatment for atleast a week after he first showed symptoms, and we all saw the state he was in and he ultimately died.

This therefore begs the question that if H1N1 can only be beaten by anti virals, what the hell are we going to do when everyone wants some? At the moment it is ok as cases of H1N1 are sort of "novelty" and each case has been given tamiflu AFAIK.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

doubtful - there are thought to be thousands of people who have been infected with H1N1 that have recovered at home - never seeing a doctor for treatment.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

I am just a beginner in trying to piece this altogether but there has been a lot of UFO activity around Mexico as I just did a search and i cam up with numerous sightings in Mexico recently.Here is a link to one of them: investigation.discovery.com...
I am only speculating but it seems weird that Mexico has been a hotspot for UFO activity then it is git with a mystery flu that seems almost impossible to explain.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

Ok, fair enuff! You are right about a lot of UFO sightings if ATS is a judge to go by. There is an aweful lot of material here to support the sightings, for sure...any theory is appreciated, at this point!

Thanks!
FMF

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity
Maintaining a high level of Vitamin D has been shown to prevent infection by seasonal influenza and at least one epidemic form that I know of. If you have a proven history of being unable to sustain a blood serum level of vit D you need to see a qualified internist and have some tests run. There are a variety of health conditions which are indicated by an inability to maintain vitamin D. Nothing to be afraid of, mind you but definitely the type of thing you need to address in order to reverse certain conditions which have long term effects you can reverse if treated early enough.

Thanks for the information. I have irritable bowel syndrome and was told that can keep me from absorbing enough D, but I think the main reason I wasn't absorbing enough D was because I was using sunscreen. I'm trying not to use it this summer by not spending extended amounts of time in the sun. I'm trying to go out in short periods so sunscreen isn't needed. If I am out for long periods, I'll use sunscreen, but I'm going to try hard to not have to use it.

I also suspect that my osteopenia may have been a result of the Vitamin D deficiency. Perhaps I'll be able to keep bone loss at bay by getting enough D. I hope so anyway.

Anyway, here's more information about sunscreen and how it can block Vitamin D. There's a lot more information out there about it, as well as how D can help keep us from getting the flu. I really hope all the D in my system will make it less likely I'll get the swine flu!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
GENEVA – Dozens of countries urged the World Health Organization on Monday to change its criteria for declaring a pandemic, saying the agency must consider how deadly a virus is — not just how far it spreads across the globe.

Fearing a swine flu pandemic declaration could spark mass panic and economic devastation, Britain, Japan, China and others asked the global body to tread carefully before raising its alert. Some cited the costly and potentially risky consequences, such as switching from seasonal to pandemic vaccine, even though the virus so far appears to be mild.

Although no formal changes were made Monday, WHO said it would listen to its members' requests.

"It's certainly something we will look at very closely," said Dr. Keiji Fukuda, WHO's flu chief.

he Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade has lifted its travel advisory for Mexico because it says the number of cases there has decreased steadily since April and that cases in Canada and the United States have remained fairly mild.

"The latest information from Mexico indicates the risk of contracting the virus has decreased and that nearly all of the cases reported in Canada and the United States have been mild, as of May 18, 2009," the Public Health Agency of Canada said in a statement posted on their website.

The state Department of Health is reporting five new cases of novel H1N1 influenza — or swine flu — in Hawaii, bringing the total to 26.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by EDteach]

[edit on 18-5-2009 by EDteach]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunieri
I read on another medical board that this is why the CDC/WHO are insistent that we wash our hands - it is spreading by touch rather than by coughing/sneezing (that's why they are saying the masks are ineffective)

There is an argument to be made that masks would indeed be effective in this scenario. Think about all the inadvertant, unconscious moments in the day when you touch your face for some reason or another. If you were to video yourself and go back and count, you would probably be surprised. That said, any barrier between your hands and your mouth & nasal passages would be a good one... especially when you are away from home, out in the public, and not able to wash your hands often enough.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Considering that North America is in the middle of the playoffs for two major sports (NBA Basketball and NHL Hockey), I wonder if there are any noticable spikes in cities where the games are played... and large numbers of people are crowded together in very limited spaces? Seems like ideal breeding grounds for mass transmition and infection... tightly packed, humid arenas, indoors, with thousands and thousands of people inside. Forget coughing and sneezing, simply the act of cheering/yelling at great volumes will expell enough vapor from the mouth to pass a virus. And as for the hands (and lack of good higiene)... forget it. You're toast.

Let's see... counting last week, the NHL had playoff games in:

Pittsburgh
Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Washington DC
Anaheim (Disneyland)
Vancouver
Raleigh, NC

And in the NBA:

Cleveland
Los Angeles
Boston
Orlando (Disney World)
Denver
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas

And for games that are reasonably close together (the Pittsburgh/Washington series for instance), it is not out of the realm of possibility that the dedicated fan would travel to attend games in both cities. If that fan is infected, not only does he risk infecting his fellow travellers (be it by auto, train, or air) but everyone he encounters on the way (hotels, restaurants, rest stops, airports, bus/train stations), not to mention the next arena.

And I didn't even get into the State's most popular spectator sport... auto racing. We're just getting into gear there, too.

Anyway, it is truly a recipe for disaster.

And if the Fall is to be D-Day in North America, you have Major League baseball entering the pennant race, hockey and basketball restarting, and the big daddy... NFL. Dare they shut these down like Mexico did with their soccer games? Until the bodies start stacking in the streets (or the players refuse to take the field), I doubt it.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
ATHENS, May 18 (Reuters) - Greece confirmed its first case of H1N1 flu on Monday, a student who returned from the United States at the weekend.

Deputy Health Minister George Papageorgiou told a news conference initial tests confirmed the 19-year-old had the virus, adding: "This is not a heavy case, he is in very good condition."

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EDteach
ATHENS, May 18 (Reuters) - Greece confirmed its first case of H1N1 flu on Monday, a student who returned from the United States at the weekend.

Deputy Health Minister George Papageorgiou told a news conference initial tests confirmed the 19-year-old had the virus, adding: "This is not a heavy case, he is in very good condition."

It really is starting to sound like visitors to the States are bringing this home just as much as visitors to Mexico a couple of weeks ago. It brings the question back to the fore that was posed regarding the Mexico situation... there has undoubtedly got to be far more infected in the States than is even being estimated. Just like the Mexico situation, it is matter of the odds being so incredibly enormous that these visitors from around the world encountering an infected person in every region of the US and becoming infected themselves.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Wow... and they wonder why we don't trust them anymore.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- An assistant principal who died after being hospitalized with the H1N1 virus did have an underlying condition, the New York City's health commissioner said Monday.

But Dr. Thomas Frieden would not discuss the nature of the condition.

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
ScienceDaily (May 18, 2009) — Researchers have successfully tested first the first time a computer simulation of major portions of the body's immune reaction to influenza type A, with implications for treatment design and preparation ahead of future pandemics, according to work accepted for publication, and posted online, by the Journal of Virology. The new "global" flu model is built out of preexisting, smaller-scale models that capture in mathematical equations millions of simulated interactions between virtual immune cells and viruses.

new topics

top topics

<< 388  389  390    392  393  394 >>

join