It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 383
<< 380  381  382    384  385  386 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I'm still here. Radio announcements today here in Mexico warn of a possible 'change' in the new flu.. failing to show any symptoms until it could be too late.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

A number of hotels at Mexican resorts are attempting to restore visitor confidence by offering free holidays to anyone contracting swine flu while staying at their properties.

The scheme involves three hotel chains, and is being led by Real Resorts – the owner of three resort hotels in Cancun and Playa del Carmen.

According to the offer, any guest contracting the H1N1 flu virus within two weeks of staying at one of its hotels in Cancun or Playa del Carmen will receive three years of free holidays.

www.asap.co.uk...

Well I feel sorry for all the people that are invoved with the tourist-business in Mexico - they must hurt real bad now!

So who's up for a trip to Real Resorts in Mexico, if you get sick you'll receive three years of free holidays.

That's a damn fine offer - will it work? - do people feel it safe and want to travel yet?

If it's up to me? well! maybe not just yet?

And not before we know more information about the virus!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

I wouldn't travel anywhere in Mexico by plane at the moment, and that's coming from someone that lives here.

That's JMO though.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Swine-flu vaccine supplies assured in UK
Monday 18th May 2009

Ninety million immediate doses of H1N1 swine-flu vaccine have been ordered by the UK government in subsidiary contracts with GlaxoSmithKline and Baxter, it has been revealed.

www.pharmacyeurope.net...

Well! it seems that many countries in Europe are making deals with GlaxoSmithKline and the Scandinavian countries has already bought an option to get the vaccine from them.

But I wouldnt touch anything from Baxter! ´

They are well known for their death coctail mix with birdflu?

Mummy! I don't want to take shots from any of them - help!!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous
Well I feel sorry for all the people that are invoved with the tourist-business in Mexico - they must hurt real bad now!

I bet they aren't hurting much at all. Morons are still going down on vacation. There isn't any swine flu news here that would inform people enough so that they would know better than to go down. And frankly, even if it was in the news and this newscap wasn't on, idiots would still go down.

people are dumb.

Originally posted by Burginthorn
Does anyone else have the feeling this is a test run of sorts?

Yes. It's a test run or it's the real deal. But I have thought both.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by blind.face

Hey here's a linky for ya!!! Check out what Dr. John M. Browning has to say!!!

www.sciencebase.com...
Am i reading him right or is that bull?

sorry forgot to say scroll down the page a tad to 'Responses to “Swine Flu Update”

[edit on 18-5-2009 by isaacbrown]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

The number of swine flu cases in Japan has risen rapidly - with more than 120 cases now confirmed.

Nearly 2,000 schools and companies have closed, and the government has discouraged unnecessary travel to quell the spread of the disease

Increase in swine flu

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by blind.face

I wouldn't travel anywhere in Mexico by plane at the moment, and that's coming from someone that lives here.

That's JMO though.

Yeah!

Claro que es demasiado temprano para decir esto!

Of course is to early for them to tell and to say that the coast is clear, I know!

The Resorts are losing big money and do whatever to get people back!

But!... I feel also very sorry for your guys in the tourism industry , a lot of people & families are living of the tourists!

Nice marketing of the Resort though!

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
If someone could help quick question "The temps have dropped here to 46 will that help the flu spread easier"? I am in Mississippi it will be 72 later today.

Sorry in advance if that is a stupid question.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Yo los compadezo a también.

I was just replying to your question, as I feel sorry for them too.

As far as a marketing scheme, it's excellent, but not very responsible.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by b_rite_alwayz

it seems as though warm weather isn't affecting the spread very much, and generally flues are much stronger in cooler/colder weather.. Most flu cases should be winding down now. It's really odd having new cases in Mexico in areas where it is already in the mid-90's already.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Researcher: Swine flu to land in Finland from south in the autumn

Albert Osterhaus regards Europe’s reaction to flu scare as incoherent

When severe influenza epidemics rampaged across the world in 1957 and 1968, young Albert Osterhaus was both times bedridden with the illness.
This time around, however, Dr. Osterhaus, now one of the world's leading virologists, maintains that he will avoid catching the bug.
“I am now in such a vanguard position that I can ensure that I will avoid the infection”, Osterhaus laughs when interviewed over the telephone.

Osterhaus criticises the EU nations’ reaction to the threat: There has been a lack of coordination, for example, compared with the United States.
“The countries are now competing with each other in medicine and vaccine acquisitions. This hardly qualifies as evidence of ‘good European spirit’”.
“The possible epidemic would hit hardest the developing countries”, Osterhaus says. Many of the western countries, in turn, might get away with the illness with rather mild consequences, especially if the vaccine is produced on time.
“There are rich and poor countries in the world, and an influenza epidemic does not change that fact.”

www.hs.fi...

Well this is the first expert I've heard from the Nordic countries that actually says something like this in the MSM.

The other experts has been like : This flu is "mild" nothing to see here move along!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Thanks for all of the hard work guys! I'm still here and lurking, but got sidetracked and "held Hostage" by life the last few days!

To all who aren't feeling well, Get Better Soon!

Hang in there Hx!
FMF

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
There is no doubt now that we are at level 6 - if the WHO try and say we are not they are talking BS.
Now Japan has exploded, 136 cases in about 3 days and Europe has about 100 in country transmissions. lets see if they go to level 6 or come up with some rubbish excuse.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Japan's Cases Of New H1N1 Flu Surge Over Weekend

The number of confirmed cases of new A/H1N1 swine flu in Japan surged over the weekend, when health officials reported earlier today, Monday, that at least 121 people have tested positive, said a report in the Associated Press (AP). This compares with only 4 confirmed cases on Friday.

According to a BBC news report, over the weekend the Japanese authorities also reported the country's first case of community spread swine flu in a patient from the large port city of Kobe (the capital of Hyogo prefecture), which is about 270 miles (430 km) west of Tokyo.

The patient, a 17-year old student, had not travelled abroad, raising speculation that if more cases like this emerge it will cause the World Health Organization (WHO) to raise the pandemic alert to phase 6, signifying that more than one WHO region now has cases arising from within communities as opposed to travellers bringing it in from infected areas. Currently only North America is in that category.

The WHO pandemic alert level is not an indicator of how lethal the virus is, only how it is spreading.

Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso said although everyone had to be careful "we must respond calmly and appropriately," and that "with quick treatment patients can recover".

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

Well the WHO should raise to level 6 now because of geographical spread to several continents, to do otherwise would be idiotic!

No one should panic about a rise to level 6 but a lot of people need to wake up and start to think about it in their lives, that the virus is around them.

A lot of people are still clueless! and could spread the virus further!

So wash your hands and move along now!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Pig firm faces legal action over spread of swine flu

The world's largest pork producer is facing legal action over claims conditions at one of its pig farms allowed swine flu to develop.

Smithfield Foods has been accused of rearing pigs in "horrifically unsanitary" conditions which were ideal for the deadly virus to be created and circulate.

The legal action has been launched by the family of Judy Dominguez Trunnell, the first American woman to have died from swine flu earlier this month.

Last month it was discovered that one of the earliest cases of the disease was detected near the firm's pig farm in La Gloria, Mexico,, where 1m swine are reared each year.

Residents had long-complained the smell and vast amounts of manure created by the farm had made them ill.

The petition claims H1N1 may never have been introduced if Smithfield had taken better care of its farm.

So far there is no evidence the disease originated in pigs and the herd at the unit in La Gloria has been cleared of having the disease by government scientists.

Only one pig herd in Canada has tested positive for the virus after being infected by a farm worker.

www.fwi.co.uk...

Maybe the legal action can clear up if this flu-crap virus we now have originated from industrial swine farms or not?

But of course! there could also be several strains of virus circulating in Mexico right now as many have reported on!

so which is the one we have circulating around the globe right now? - where did it come from? - is the industrial swine farms the origin of it?

What a terrible mezz!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
This flu leaves you vulnerable to other viruses and disease, which means that deaths not directly attributed to this flu can probably be traced back to this flu priming the immune system.

Like an inhaled HiV ......................

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
UPDATE 1-Health ministers tackle pandemic flu, Japan in focus

GENEVA, May 18 (Reuters) - The H1N1 flu strain is spreading fast in Japan, the World Health Organisation said on Monday, and ministers and top officials in Geneva discussed how to fight pandemic flu with drugs and vaccines.

WHO Director-General Margaret Chan said the flu outbreak that has put the world on the brink of a pandemic needed to be tackled with the utmost seriousness, because there were still many unknowns about which path it will take.

We are all under pressure to make urgent and far-reaching decisions in an atmosphere of considerable scientific uncertainty," she told her U.N. agency's World Health Assembly.

www.reuters.com...

This reminds me of that pop song that was a smash hit in the 80's:

'Big In Japan'
- sorry!
J/K

Margaret Chan poor soul, must be overloaded with information by now, coming in from everywhere - so my question to her is:

Why haven't you raised the frikkin level to 6 already?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It's probably spreading so fast in Japan as I imagine their poor bodies are in total shock at anything 'dirty' they are OCD about cleanliness and health.... no "Bushel & a Peck" mentallity out there.

Anyone know if it is possible to get a flight refund based on 'fear of flying during an epidemic' it's causing an argument here but I'm really not sure I am happy with my neice coming over here from Texas in June

If the level is raised to 6 ... will flights not cease anyway?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Chile Confirms Being Hit With Cases Of H1N1 Swine Flu

The nation of Chile has confirmed that they were hit with two cases of the swine flu over the weekend.

Initially, health officials in Chile reported that they have recorded the first ever case of swine flu in the country.

Then, just a few hours later, they came out and confirmed the second case of the virus.

Both of the cases consisted of women over the age of 30 who came from the Dominican Republic.

They flew over on a flight whichi carried around 100 passengers in total.

www.dbtechno.com...

Well! not so fun and bad news for the rest of those 100 passengers on that flight

Hope they didn't catch it!

top topics

<< 380  381  382    384  385  386 >>

join